PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disappointment of 2010

Rase
12-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I made this thread for kotora, since he hates everything.

Easily for me this answer would be Call of Duty: Black Ops. First clarification is that I haven't really enjoyed a CoD's multiplayer since 2, so that doesn't do anything for me. Even still, MW2 and CoDBlops are easily the least fun multiplayer games I have played in a while, possibly period. So I figured this going in, and just decided to judge it based on single player, like I did MW2.

Somehow Treyarch has managed to make a game that is patently worse than MW2 in every way. Second clarification is that I felt MW2 was tied with CoD3 for the dubious award of the worst CoD game made by the main studios (aka not counting Finest Hour, Big Red One, and the handheld ones). The story was hilarious at times, trying it's best to be awesome and cool while feeling shallow, boring, and soulless.

Suffering the same fate was the set pieces and the gameplay. Roughly 85-90% of the game felt like it just wanted to be the baddest thing this side of Micheal Jackson, and it only succeeded in falling on it's face again and again (for the record, that rooftop level and the WWII flashback were the ones I actually enjoyed). I mean really, driving a motorcycle while one handing a 1887 Winchester for like 5 mins? You mean the scene from Terminator 2 that almost broke Arnold's hand shooting? Yeah... Linear to a fault, scripted to ridiculousness, and filled to the brim with moronic "AI" on all sides, each big battle felt like a slog through the world's most tedious warzone. Oh look, I can't kill that guy until he does what the game tells him. Oh wow, apparently the entire NVA/Spetsnaz decided to target one guy (me) despite having to run by five other people; luckily for them those five guys will proceed to not give two :bou::bou::bou::bou:s and just stare at their shoes or shoot people 300 yards away. Maybe I just forgot to sign an amicable agreement between the two forces to not hurt one another.

Also, this is probably just because I am a silly stick-in-the-mud, but I can only suspend my disbelief so much when a game tries to be historical and such. Things like "Fortunate Son" being played a year before being released (because damn it guys, we need that song because it shows we're in Nam!), and the SPAS 12, Streyr AUG, and FAMAS somehow existing far before they should (1979 for the first two and 20-freaking-01 for the last) bug me a lot, and are only the most glaring examples. Yeah, I can look past things in the sake of being cool, but I feel Treyarch just couldn't be arsed to replace these guns CoD players are used to with ones that would actually make sense.

Speaking of disbelief, I tried my best to act like the fact that you play various Badass McAwesome's made the set pieces anywhere close to understandable. Unfortunately, I still hold the original CoD and it's expansion as the pinnacle of the series, and those games were so cool at the time because you weren't some lone badass like in the Medal of Honor games; you were a soldier, sometimes a conscript, and you were almost always surrounded by plenty of fellow soldiers (except those British SAS levels). MW I felt still did this pretty well, and WaW delivered on it also. I just prefer that style to the "three guys storming a base and killing hundreds" approach that seems to be becoming more prevalent.

Anyway, could go on, don't feel like it. Now go forth and bitch, EoFF! (of course you're more then welcome to try and tell me how wrong I am. Probably won't bother responding, but if hearing criticism of Codblops got your blood boiling by all means, have at me.)

VeloZer0
12-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't want to start a big hate train in this thread, but I have to say FF13. However, I think that has a lot to do with a) the fact I didn't play many games this year, and b) it was one of the few I was looking forward to.

KentaRawr!
12-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Everyone seems disappointed with Metroid: Other M, so I guess that.

Madame Adequate
12-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Spore.

Yes, still. Because it was supposed to be a game as timeless as Civilization or SimCity, only even moreso.

Jessweeee♪
12-25-2010, 04:08 AM
Ace Attorney Investigations. To be fair, I haven't finished it, but therein lies the problem. It's the only Ace Attorney game that I've had no motivation to finish. It's not bad, it's just...not awesome.

NeoCracker
12-25-2010, 05:13 AM
Metroid Other M was beyond terrible. Fuck team Ninja for doing that to Samus. She deserved better. ;_;

And I can see FF XIII being a let down, It might have been for me but I had low expectations going in. :p

And of course Dante's Inferno. :mad2:

kotora
12-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Bro Ops and FF13 didn't really disappoint me because I knew they were going to suck. Same for Halo Reach. At least I got to sell those games without making a loss.

can't recall many disappointments atm because I expected most games to suck hard after the disasters of 2008 and 2009. Assassin's Creed 2 even pleasantly surprised me.

G13
12-25-2010, 12:49 PM
TFU2. I'm still reeling from it. BioShock 2 was pretty balls too.

Dreddz
12-25-2010, 02:11 PM
We all know its FFXIII so can you lot stop kidding yourselves already.

Markus. D
12-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Final Fantasy XIV. Worst MMO Business model I've EVER seen.

Madame Adequate
12-25-2010, 05:24 PM
We all know its FFXIII so can you lot stop kidding yourselves already.

I played it through from start to finish and enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as other FFs are and I was to some extent disappointed, but to say it was the biggest disappointment of 2010 would be false, because it wasn't, not even close. At least in my opinion.

Reach's campaign was pretty horrendous, as I ranted about shortly after release.

NorthernChaosGod
12-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Well it could only get worse after Bioshock, that one was fucking amazing in all aspects.

Madame Adequate
12-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Except for the gameplay.

NorthernChaosGod
12-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Was not! :(

Rase
12-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Bioshock ran out of steam like 75% of the way through. Bioshock 2 ran out of steam like 10% of the way through.

Madame Adequate
12-26-2010, 01:56 AM

BioShock had an amazing setting and aesthetic, and a great atmosphere. The plot was good too, and did something that arguably other mediums can't.

But the gameplay itself was mediocre, uninspired, and overhyped.

Slothy
12-26-2010, 01:10 PM

BioShock had an amazing setting and aesthetic, and a great atmosphere. The plot was good too, and did something that arguably other mediums can't.

Agreed completely. For all of the talk of combining plasmids and the like before it was released, it was amazing how many fights could be solved with the old standard shotgun to the face.

Anyway, I'll go with FFXIII. I didn't have high expectations, though I was curious to see how the direction they were taking it would pan out. I wasn't expecting something nearly that bad though. The game had next to no redeeming qualities. I'll even go so far as to say it wasn't even the visual feast some think it is. The level of visual quality I saw was something I'd expect from a launch title with a mediocre art team to be honest. Not from Square five years after the first console of this generation came out. There wasn't anything impressive about the graphics on either a technical level or in terms of it's art style, which was pretty ugly overall in my opinion.

And for all of it's attempts to distract me with it's flashy effects and fast battles I will still gladly say it's the worst game I played all year, and probably one of the worst games I've played in a very long time. That's not to say there aren't worse games out there (there are plenty), but I'm usually better at avoiding the bad ones. I guess one had to slip through eventually.

Psychotic
12-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Final Fantasy XIII. I believed.

Levian
12-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah, must've been Final Fantasy XIII. Not a terrible game, but playing it feels like a chore.

Rocket Edge
12-26-2010, 05:32 PM
@Rase - I actually thought Black Ops was a major step up from MW2.

Without question the biggest disappointment for me was Final Fantasy XIII. I was so let down by it.

Rostum
12-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Final Fantasy XIV.

After playing XI since its release in 2003, I was super hyped for XIV. Even Square-Enix announced it was a huge flop and replaced the entire development team including the director and producer. But there's still hope they can turn it around.

Meat Puppet
12-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Agreed. I enjoyed Bioshock a lot but the gameplay was nothing to jizz over.

Kind of why Bioshock 2 is my disappointment. I really feel bad for being as excited as I was for it. It was really bioshock 1 without the good stuff.
And more annoying little girl
The multiplayer was momentarily interesting but... way too laggy, even considering

Loony BoB
12-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I like the game and still play it, but despite that I'm still going to say FFXIV. :p Heh.

XIII didn't disappoint me much at all.

G13
12-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Well it could only get worse after Bioshock, that one was smurfing amazing in all aspects.

It just might have gotten much better if they (who was it, Irrational?) hadn't handed it completely over to 2fuckingK.

And MILF and co. are right. Gameplay wasn't anything special, Rapture was the selling point.

Shattered Dreamer
12-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah, must've been Final Fantasy XIII. Not a terrible game, but playing it feels like a chore.

FACT

Depression Moon
12-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I would say The Last Airbender, but I did have suspicions about it as soon as I saw Shymalan's name.

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2010, 11:20 PM
FF XIII not much I can say that hasn't been said before. I went into the game with pretty low expectations and was still surprised how bad it was. It crushed my low expectations even, which is quite a feat in of itself.

Baloki
12-28-2010, 01:42 AM
The fact FFX and X-2 are still available for sale? Else failing that Sonic 4 and FF14.

Madame Adequate
12-28-2010, 03:06 AM
I genuinely am befuddled by people who are more disappointed with FFXIII than XIV.

VeloZer0
12-28-2010, 03:51 AM
A lot less people played FF14 than FF13, including myself. So I can't give a judgement on the former.

Slothy
12-28-2010, 04:11 AM
A lot less people played FF14 than FF13, including myself. So I can't give a judgement on the former.

Indeed. I avoid MMO's for the most part. They're not something that interests me, especially given under normal circumstances you have to pay to play them each month. Just can't bring myself to do it, even for the one's that I find mildly interesting.

kotora
12-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I genuinely am befuddled by people who are more disappointed with FFXIII than XIV.

because not many people cared about 14 to begin with

Bolivar
12-28-2010, 02:18 PM
@Rase - I'll agree it's reasonable to say the CodBlOps campaign is a disappointment, but don't you think you should at least substantiate why you don't like the multiplayer a bit? That's kinda the heart of the game these days and you say next to nothing on it. Opinion invalid!

@kotora - LOL at "the disasters of 2008 and 2009." You make it sound like there's been not one, but two gaming apocalypses which we can never recover from. Tell me, do you get any pleasure out of life anymore?

I'll even go so far as to say it wasn't even the visual feast some think it is. The level of visual quality I saw was something I'd expect from a launch title with a mediocre art team to be honest.

C'mon, man... I'm with you on it being a disappointment, but really, do we need to post screenshots for this one? The game's certainly not Crysis and it doesn't even compare to the Uncharteds/God of Wars/Killzones on PS3, but I can't think of a single multiplatform game out (yet) that looks better than it.

My list:

1) MAG - yes it was on my top 11 of 2011, and it was great, but still a disappointment. Like I said in the other thread, the community ruined the game because Zipper never really gave any instructions on how to use the command interface, they essentially had to put up videos on the Playstation Blog after release explaining it and even those don't answer many of the basic questions we all had on it during the BETA. Also, the game is just not great to look at. Non-smoothe gameplay ruined it for a lot of people that probably would have had more fun and possibly took the reigns of command better.

2) Final Fantasy XIII - also on my list. I enjoyed the game a lot and am beginning to see the allure of replaying it as I move on to different experiences. But it lacked so many of the basic RPG features that I really wish would stay in the genre.

3) The ending of God of War III

4) Myself for not picking up White Knight Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles II at launch and not giving a couple extra bucks to the publisher/developers. Really loving these games, it's amazing to be playing two incredibly awesome RPG's at the same time, one on a console and online and one on a handheld.

Del Murder
12-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I would say FFXIV though I didn't play it. It was disappointing enough to make me not want to play it when I originally was very hyped up for it, let's put it that way.

Of games I did play I will have to go with The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Just a very meh entry into the series. I really hope this is the last cartoonish style of Zelda because I'm getting sick of it (though Toon Link in SSB Brawl kicks ass).

Shoeberto
12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally was gonna say FFXIII, but Other M was a MUCH bigger let-down. So many things wrong with it when it had so much potential. I was extremely disappointed.

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2010, 06:59 PM
FFXIV might have been mine, but in all honesty between financial shortcomings and my reluctance to buy PC games at launch I never considered it a 2010 game xD

Slothy
12-29-2010, 02:30 AM
I'll even go so far as to say it wasn't even the visual feast some think it is. The level of visual quality I saw was something I'd expect from a launch title with a mediocre art team to be honest.

C'mon, man... I'm with you on it being a disappointment, but really, do we need to post screenshots for this one? The game's certainly not Crysis and it doesn't even compare to the Uncharteds/God of Wars/Killzones on PS3, but I can't think of a single multiplatform game out (yet) that looks better than it.

Sorry Bolivar, but I can only take so many flat textures, half-assed lighting and other effects, and ugly art direction from any next-gen title, let alone one that took that long and that much money to make from a company practically known for making great looking games. Frankly, if you look at something other than the skybox for more than five seconds the game stops looking very impressive.

I can think of plenty of better looking multi-platform titles frankly. Any of the recent COD titles, Assassin's Creed games, or the likes of Red Dead and even GTA IV impressed me more for what they managed to accomplish visually.

G13
12-29-2010, 02:35 AM
I thought XIII was great. Much better than what I was expecting.

Del Murder
12-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I didn't think it was great, but it was good, and fun, and that's all I was expecting. So it didn't disappoint me.

Shiny
12-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Nothing. I wasn't disappointed with FF13 because I knew it would be crap.

Jessweeee♪
12-29-2010, 03:45 AM
I thought XIII was great. Much better than what I was expecting.

FFXIII might just be my favorite in the series. Aside from joking around though, I do understand why it wasn't so well received by others. Though I think they are a little silly for being disappointed. There were no surpises. I got hyped up because I knew I was going to like it, but for those same reasons it should have been an obvious "pass" for those who wouldn't. That's the nice thing about JRPGs, with a couple of reviews, interviews, and a handful of screenshots, it's easy to figure out what you should expect. Except of course for the types that prefer not to read up on a game before purchase, or borrow on a whim.

Raistlin
12-29-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm going to have to say FFXIII (although note that I did not play many games this year). Not because I had high hopes, as my expectations were very low. But because while playing the game itself, it got my hopes up, and then dashed them horribly.

Through the first 8 chapters, the linearity and poor design of some aspects (upgrading system, anyone?) were grating, but I was pleasantly surprised by an engaging and interesting battle system and in-depth character development. Then the end of chapter 9 came, which was stupid. And then I had to watch the last 4 chapters of the most horrifyingly terrible storytelling in any game I've ever played. Chapters 10 and 13 were almost self-parodying with how bad they were. Very, very disappointing.

Slothy
12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Though I think they are a little silly for being disappointed. There were no surpises. I got hyped up because I knew I was going to like it, but for those same reasons it should have been an obvious "pass" for those who wouldn't. That's the nice thing about JRPGs, with a couple of reviews, interviews, and a handful of screenshots, it's easy to figure out what you should expect. Except of course for the types that prefer not to read up on a game before purchase, or borrow on a whim.

Thing is though, on paper there wasn't anything about FFXIII that seemed inherently bad, and even when reviews came out, they were overall positive about the changes even if they were less impressed with the game than previous iterations of the series. About the only things I knew for sure going in were that it was really linear, and had no towns or NPC's to visit. Beyond that, I really had no way of knowing the story, characters, pacing, or battle system would end up being the utter train wreck they were.

kotora
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
You can't take reviews from the big sites serious anymore these days. Any console game with enough hype has their 8s and 9s guaranteed. Then again reviewers would get their asses fired if they dared to criticize the games published by their biggest advertisers.

Levian
12-29-2010, 10:36 PM

It's not really a question of what game is crappier, just which one we are more disappointed with.

Final Fantasy XIII was announced at E3 in 2006
Final Fantasy XIV was announced at E3 in 2009
= 3 years longer worth of anticipation has been built up for XIII

Final Fantasy XIII has sold 5.75 million copies
Final Fantasy XIV has shipped 0.63 million copies.
= 5.1 million more people have an opinion about XIII, lack of consideration for XIV might be because they simply haven't played it.

Final Fantasy XIV is online.
= It's constantly going to change, it's going to get better. (hopefully!)

I'm in category 2 anyway. I haven't played FFXIV.

Madame Adequate
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Could someone explain to me when videogamers became reluctant to offer opinions on games they've never played?

Levian
12-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Mass Effect 3 sucks.

Shiny
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
And so does Final Fantasy XX.

Iceglow
12-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Gotta say Gran Turismo 5 here, sure Cod Black Ops is bitterly disappointing but then I expected that, Treyarch made it and every game they have made so far has disappointed me. I could also bitch about how simple to play FFXIII was but frankly though FFVI - FFX (yeah you read that right X too) were feasts of gameplay, story and graphics (for their time) XII and XIII haven't actually been bad games, they're not as impressive in terms of storyline complexities and certainly don't offer the fan service of say IX but they're not bad games. They're well built with innovative level up systems what work for the player rather than against the player. They're also well written the storyline of either game was pretty solid. If the games were any other random ass RPG games and not under the Final Fantasy franchise then they'd be welcomed, celebrated games the fact that they might have a bad voice actor or two overlooked in favour for the better gameplay. Hell I've played games where I've had to mute the game because the voice acting was soo terrible and the music wasn't much better but by putting on some suitable music from my own collection I was sorted out.

As to why GT5 was such a disappointment? Well frankly I like racing games, driving games are fun, they're accessible, entertaining and enjoyable. I've grown up over the years since the late 90s with Gran Turismo setting the standard. 400+ cars, good sound tracks (well up until 3) beautiful graphics coupled with the technical details what could make a grown man cry. If they set the serious standards, Need for Speed and Burnout were setting the fun standards. Even today I love blasting through Burnout Paradise City finding something to blow 5 minutes or so on. I didn't think GT5 could live up to the hype around it, 5 years of promising and delays does that. After a while something gets so overhyped it won't matter how good it is, it'll disappoint because it didn't prove itself to be Jesus Christ come again. What I didn't expect was a lack lustre menu system, sub par sound track, below standard graphics on over 3/4 of the cars (it's 4/5ths standard cars, 1/5th premium) and generally speaking a lack of entertainment to be had with it. GT5 was one of the main reasons I want a ps3, that game and the killzone/uncharted/mgs games would swing me happily. Frankly having tried it out extensively at lunch breaks ect at work I'm just not interested in Gran Turismo 5 anymore. I was bored to death by the entire GT5 system without exception even the precision handling and tuning options something I could waste hours tinkering with didn't appeal because of the other let down's in the game.

Shlup
12-30-2010, 01:49 AM
I wasn't disappointed with any of the games I played this year. Hooray!

Madame Adequate
12-30-2010, 04:19 AM
I was pretty disappointed in Fable 3.

Shadowdust
12-30-2010, 08:07 AM
I wasn't disappointed with any of the games I played this year. Hooray!

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.

I don't really stray too far from RPG's though so I can't say much for other genres. Nonetheless, I enjoyed all of the games I played this year. I've even been pleasantly surprised by how good some of the games have been.

Jessweeee♪
12-31-2010, 05:55 AM

We bought some DLC and it "downloaded" instantly. Faster than a theme. It was on the disc already! Bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:! Don't make us pay for stuff we already bought :nonono:

asukaevaunit02
12-31-2010, 07:33 AM
Easy answer, Final Fantasy XIII.
The first time I paid full price for a game so soon after release, felt like the biggest waste of $100 ever. It was boring and dragged on, I had to force myself to see it to the end, and have never played it since.

I Took the Red Pill
12-31-2010, 11:22 PM
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Halo: Reach
-Black Ops

Gaming in 2010 was disappointing in general for me, anyways. It's ok though, I just ordered Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to get the taste of CoD multiplayer outta my mouth for awhile. Though I am still content with playing Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3 should the cravings arise.

Lionx
01-02-2011, 04:33 AM
Final Fantasy XIV.

After playing XI since its release in 2003, I was super hyped for XIV. Even Square-Enix announced it was a huge flop and replaced the entire development team including the director and producer. But there's still hope they can turn it around.

Right here. All hype no delivery. Everything they said about the game turned out to be false beyond belief.

Other than that...Starcraft II's plot was kinda a big letdown to me, FFXIII i heard was pretty bad, and in all honesty i thought Super Street Fighter IV was pretty bad. Alot of people adore it, but i don't see it at all.

Madame Adequate
01-02-2011, 06:05 AM

We bought some DLC and it "downloaded" instantly. Faster than a theme. It was on the disc already! Bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:! Don't make us pay for stuff we already bought :nonono:

Also ridiculous and unacceptable. But something about the game itself just doesn't do it for me, quite aside from reprehensible DLC decisions :o

Lionx
01-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Theres actually plenty of games that already have DLC on the disc and charge you anyway if you want to unlock them. Its not that new...

Jessweeee♪
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Theres actually plenty of games that already have DLC on the disc and charge you anyway if you want to unlock them. Its not that new...

And I am not happy about these either. I'm only bothering to discuss games in 2010, and only the ones that I have :|

Madame Adequate
01-05-2011, 05:31 AM
Oh herp de derp de derpity doo.

The biggest disappointment of 2010 is so blindingly obvious and easy:

Elemental: War of Magic

I didn't mention it beforehand because it was so painful I erased it from my mind :(

Roto13
01-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Again. The makers of Hotel Dusk are capable of better.

I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is :bou::bou::bou::bou: too?

Mirage
01-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Probably FF13, but that's because I don't buy a lot of games that I don't know if i'll like, and becuase i don't play a lot of games, at least not this last year

Wolf Kanno
01-07-2011, 10:28 PM

I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is :bou::bou::bou::bou: too?

Yes ;)

To give a more serious answer to your question, it pretty much depends on whether you like the story or not; cause their is seriously not enough game content to make the game standalone without a plot, like some of the previous entries could pull off. If you hate the plot (Like I did) then it was a 40 hour tedious nightmare that is best to be forgotten.

I Took the Red Pill
01-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is too?One of my biggest gripes was the sheer lack of diversity among enemy encounters. In X, enemies were not only much more varied as you traveled from locale to locale, but also within an area you'd find a good amount of different enemies in random encounters. In XIII, I got sick of fighting Psicom soldiers after the first 2 hours. Square thought it would be cool to make me fight them for the remaining 33 hours of the game, I guess.

Baloki
01-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Does that mean Final Fantasy X is :bou::bou::bou::bou: too?

Always has been :D

I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is too?One of my biggest gripes was the sheer lack of diversity among enemy encounters. In X, enemies were not only much more varied as you traveled from locale to locale, but also within an area you'd find a good amount of different enemies in random encounters. In XIII, I got sick of fighting Psicom soldiers after the first 2 hours. Square thought it would be cool to make me fight them for the remaining 33 hours of the game, I guess.

Don't try and defend that game :(

kotora
01-07-2011, 11:40 PM

lol are you seriously saying you can't distinguish FFXs linearity from FF13s on-rails gameplay?

Roto13
01-08-2011, 12:22 AM
A good chunk of the game takes place on Gran Pulse where there are no soldiers at all. Or any people, for that matter.

lol are you seriously saying you can't distinguish FFXs linearity from FF13s on-rails gameplay?

Are you joking? Final Fantasy X is a straight line from beginning to end. The game is practically about walking from one end of the world to the other.

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2011, 01:19 AM
FFX had like ten encounters that just got stronger and were colored differently. I love both FFX and FFXIII, but certainly not for their monster diversity. That ended after FFVII!

Again I wasn't disappointed with, but only because I read beforehand that it was made to increase viewership for some forensic science shows, which gave me the impression that it would be just a little bit better than movie adaptation games. I was interested in playing it, but part of the reason why I bought it was because I wanted to help Cing out just a teensy bit. Which brings me to another item on my list:

Last Window. Not because it was bad, but because I haven't played it because it was never released to the states. I want to continue the adventures of Kyle Hyde and I don't want to pay $80 to import it or buy an R4 cart :(

BG-57
01-08-2011, 01:22 AM
I knew what I was getting when I bought FFXIII, so I'm not terribly disappointed with it. The slowly loosened straightjacket on gameplay options bothered me much more than the linearity or plot issues.

What really hit me hard was Lego: Harry Potter. This is the most glitchy game I've ever played. At least Eternal Poison seized up only during some of the random battles. Here I got trapped in a room with no way of leaving in an unwinnable state after 33 hours of effort. I then check online and find this is a common glitch. I can't return it or exchange it because the programming is defective not the disc itself. Traveller's Tales should be ashamed to release such a shoddy product. :mad:

Mirage
01-08-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is :bou::bou::bou::bou: too?[/COLOR]

Are you joking? Final Fantasy X is a straight line from beginning to end. The game is practically about walking from one end of the world to the other.

I guess that means your answer is "no".

Pete for President
01-08-2011, 09:33 AM
A good chunk of the game takes place on Gran Pulse where there are no soldiers at all. Or any people, for that matter.

True. But walking from one end to the other had serious relevance to the (I must say; amazing) plot, the way the story was told was far more interesting and the pacing was brilliant. Temple puzzles added the needed variation. Oh and don't forget the game screws you over a couple of times by taking you completely off the track (Bikanel Island for example).

FFXIII lacks some of those very important variations. New statement; if FFXIII had been compromised to something like a 20-hour game I would have loved it.

Biggest dissapointment of 2011: None of the games I have bought. However I have borrowed Red Dead Redemption from a friend and that must be the biggest dissapointment. My expectations weren't even that high, but come on, the game holds your hand throughout everything and enemies are like zombies. I wonder who asked for the Undead Nightmare add-on; enemies in the original were braindead to begin with.

Besides these massive gameplay-wise flaws I do give props for the environment and atmosphere. Just cut the one-man-army-but-hold-my-hand-gameplay Rockstar.

I Took the Red Pill
01-09-2011, 03:56 AM
lol fine. I dislike the 22 hour tutorial in which the only enemies I encountered were Psicom Soldiers. Go ahead, keep telling me the reasons I don't like the game are wrong. I will continue to lol at them.

Roto13
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
lol fine. I dislike the 22 hour tutorial in which the only enemies I encountered were Psicom Soldiers. Go ahead, keep telling me the reasons I don't like the game are wrong. I will continue to lol at them.

The game definitely starts out way too slow, but it's pretty much as deep as it's going to be after 8 hours. And there are a lot of non-soldier enemies. Come on. I don't care if you don't like the game but don't say things that are objectively untrue.