PDA

View Full Version : Games and Thongs

Jessweeee♪
12-25-2010, 06:47 PM
It seems like most game characters these days wear thongs. What started this strange phenomenon?

Psychotic
12-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Cloud, FFVII. One of the most popular games characters of all time purely because of his marvellous taste in female underwear.

NorthernChaosGod
12-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Art imitating life? Thongs sell the most, don't they?

Nah, that's not it. Just listen to Paul.

Aerith's Knight
12-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Game designers only make underwear in size XXS. Game characters just have to make due, and flossing ensues..

Depression Moon
12-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Most? That sounds like an exaggeration.

Breine
12-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Baywatch?

Madame Adequate
12-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey, don't knock it, this is a great thing. If they didn't wear thongs, think about how much poorer Gears of War would be. But playing it as Augustus Cole is just the best thing ever because his big black arse is just so cutely contained by that tiny thong thing he wears :aimkiss:

Jessweeee♪
12-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Most? That sounds like an exaggeration.

Well by most "these days" I mean the majority of the games I've played in the last two years with visible underwear, and that narrows it down a bit so I guess so xD

kotora
12-25-2010, 11:43 PM
It seems like most game characters these days wear thongs. What started this strange phenomenon?

the thong song of course

Yeargdribble
12-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Men/boys like sexy women. Early on (and honestly, still today) the largest demographic of gamers was male. Sex sells. It always has, so why not with video games.

Oh, and 2+2=4 btw.

Aerith's Knight
12-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh, and 2+2=4 btw.

2+2=5

(For extremely large numbers of 2) : D

Remon
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
They do? :/

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Men/boys like sexy women. Early on (and honestly, still today) the largest demographic of gamers was male. Sex sells. It always has, so why not with video games.

Oh, and 2+2=4 btw.

But why now? Why do we have thongs now, and why is it mostly males wearing them?!

Elskidor
12-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Kuja and his weird thong thing freaks me out.

NorthernChaosGod
12-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Oh, and 2+2=4 btw.

But why now? Why do we have thongs now, and why is it mostly males wearing them?!
In which games is this happening? :confused:

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
All of them. Thongs!

kotora
12-26-2010, 08:52 PM
they want their butts to look good I guess. Is that a problem?

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Problem? You don't have to wait until there's a problem to suddenly decide to be curious! Sometimes I just want to know things.

Clo
12-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Thongs are comfy and it's easy to do ninja moves in them.

Personal experience.

Loony BoB
12-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I haven't noticed. Perhaps I don't spend enough time staring at the butts of video game characters. I'll try to do better.

Examples (written, not displayed, please!) would be nice, though.

Vyk
12-28-2010, 06:13 AM
If someone posts a picture of Tidus in a thong, I am gouging my eyes out. Right after I gouge out the face of whoever posted it

Yeargdribble
12-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I didn't realize that Kuja and the cast of Muscle March were enough to classify an epidemic of man thong.

BTW, while it's obvious that women are over-sexualized in games, guys aren't that bad looking either. I doubt many women would kick Ezio or Nathan Drake out of bed. From a design perspective it makes sense though. I don't think devs are making hot, male prots as a dish for ladies, but rather because the guys (primary demographic) playing the games want to play an attractive character. That's who they want to embody.

How many guys want to play a game with Roman Belic as the protagonist rather than the comic relief? The side effect is that hot males, especially those becoming less clothed, probably appeal to the gay people within the demographic.

It's a win-win to make hot guys in the game and it's a win-win-win to make hot guys and girls.

They probably aren't losing lots of dollars by agitated women who refuse to buy the game because the chicks are wearing skimpy clothing. Besides, you can't forget that odd demographic of women like my wife who like playing games like Bayonetta (and actually has requested DoA Beach Volleyball) because they like the hot sexy women.

It's not unfair to say that it's becoming almost the norm for a woman to be bisexual at least playfully.

So how are bikinis hurting the industry again? By that tiny group of militant feminists who refuse to buy the games? Yeah... I'm sure they would all be hardcore gamers if everyone were more realistic.

The only thing damaging for the industry about half-naked people is to their credibility. It's too easy to point at BMXXX and say "that's the problem with games."

Of course, I could start a whole other discussion on that since you don't see people pointing at Zombie Strippers and saying, "This is why all movies are sick, mindless filth." The same way people don't immediately dismiss all of literature simply because "Penthouse Forum" exists. Sadly, with games it seems that one bad apple spoils the bunch.

But to the people running the numbers this sh*t doesn't matter. Activision doesn't care if games are "art" so long as they are raking in billions.

kotora
12-28-2010, 09:36 AM
If someone posts a picture of Tidus in a thong, I am gouging my eyes out. Right after I gouge out the face of whoever posted it

sadly this was the only picture of Tidus in a thong I could find

http://images5.cpcache.com/product/zanarkand-tidus+ffx-swordplay/346312925v1_225x225_Front.jpg

DMKA
12-28-2010, 04:35 PM
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/steffi_anthony93/RikkuFinalFantasyX-2.jpg

First video game character I can recall that wore a thong.

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Dragon Age for one. Everybody wears thongs.

Aerith's Knight
12-28-2010, 06:23 PM
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/steffi_anthony93/RikkuFinalFantasyX-2.jpg

Dude.. she's 15.

Madame Adequate
12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
She's 17 at the time of FFX-2.

KentaRawr!
12-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Maybe it's not that they all wear thongs, but that thongs leave an impression on you.

Doesn't Solid Snake wear one, though? And his dad, too.

DMKA
12-28-2010, 09:49 PM

Dude.. she's 15.

Japan, etc.

Aerith's Knight
12-28-2010, 10:39 PM

of FFX-2.

FFX-2

You want to drag up that piece of rhino turd as an argument? You fail at life.

Jessweeee♪
12-29-2010, 02:36 AM
But FFX-2 got rid of everything people were whining about at the time :confused:

Agent Proto
12-29-2010, 02:45 AM
I don't think this is a phenomenon of any sorts. Just imitating life since a lot of ladies seem to wear thongs. I'd start worrying if characters start wearing granny panties! D:

Jessweeee♪
12-29-2010, 02:49 AM
I just didn't think man thongs were as common!

NorthernChaosGod
12-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Seriously. In which games are men wearing thongs? :confused:

Madame Adequate
12-29-2010, 11:54 AM

of FFX-2.

FFX-2

You want to drag up that piece of rhino turd as an argument? You fail at life.

Sorry, I judge games based on how much fun they are, not on how cool it is to hate them :shobon:

Aerith's Knight
12-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I judge games based on how much fun they are, not on how cool it is to hate them :shobon:

I played that piece of vomit before I even posted much here, or saw any review on it, immediately after FFX. I quit playing after 10-15 minutes. I refuse to even acknowledge such blatant fanservice that actually makes you feel dirty playing it.

DMKA
12-29-2010, 05:10 PM

I played that piece of vomit before I even posted much here, or saw any review on it, immediately after FFX. I quit playing after 10-15 minutes. I refuse to even acknowledge such blatant fanservice that actually makes you feel dirty playing it.

Are you talking about FFX-2? The FF with the best JRPG battle system ever?

I can't tell if you're trolling or not but I still find it to be one of the more enjoyable FF games.

Elskidor
12-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Can't remember a great deal about FFX-2, but I do know I had enough fun to play it twice the year it was released. It may have been Final Fantasy: Charlie's Angels, but I know I liked it or was just extremely bored to of played it twice.

Loony BoB
12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
I'll openly admit that I haven't played FFX-2 and if I ever joke about it or insult it, it's based purely on the ongoing stereotypical comments. However I wouldn't be so silly as to dismiss a game entirely after playing it for fifteen minutes. I'm honest: I don't play FFX-2 because I didn't like FFX. The characters grated on me to extremes for the most part, particularly Tidus and Yuna. Given Yuna is the main character for FFX-2, I was never interested in it. I thought Rikku was okay, but one character does not make a game. The other girl didn't interest me either, butch girls don't "do it" for me on any level of interest-piquing.

Yeargdribble
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Pfft.. who cares if she's 15 or 17. She's attractive. There's nothing wrong with finding a 15 year-old girl attractive. It's natural since she displays secondary sex characteristics.

Ramza Beoulve
01-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Seriously. In which games are men wearing thongs? :confused:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2571/deathspank.png?

NeoCracker
01-01-2011, 03:48 AM

I can't tell if you're trolling or not but I still find it to be one of the more enjoyable FF games.

While I'd argue against it being the best, I will admit it had a lot going for it.

Though all the potential in the world couldn't have helped that battle system given how mind numbingly easy it was.

Same problem X had actually, great battle system, but it was so easy that you never actually got to make any use of it.

Jessweeee♪
01-01-2011, 04:00 AM

While I'd argue against it being the best, I will admit it had a lot going for it.

Though all the potential in the world couldn't have helped that battle system given how mind numbingly easy it was.

Same problem X had actually, great battle system, but it was so easy that you never actually got to make any use of it.

Somebody obviously didn't give the Monster Arena or Via Infinito a try :colbert:

Vyk
01-01-2011, 08:15 AM
He was distracted by the thongs

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2011, 03:52 PM
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/jmiles/2008/07/24/urien.jpg
boo ya, baby

NeoCracker
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Somebody obviously didn't give the Monster Arena or Via Infinito a try :colbert:

No, because I wasn't go to put up with hours of boring gameplay AND :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty dialogue and poorly executed fan service to get to the two areas that offer any kind of challenge. :p

Mirage
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM
FF10-2 is tons more fun to play than the snooze-fest that was FF10's battle system. I've got something like 400 hours clocked in that game.

Aerith's Knight
01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
FF10-2 is tons more fun to play than the snooze-fest that was FF10's battle system. I've got something like 400 hours clocked in that game.

I call that 398 hours of that was the man massage scene on a loop.

kotora
01-02-2011, 12:58 AM
wait what man massage scene?

NorthernChaosGod
01-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't like this thread. :|