PDA

View Full Version : Since Tactics take place in the same timeline as XII....

Crossblades
12-26-2010, 07:11 PM
....one can argue that Tactics is a sequel to XII and Revenant Wings storywise, yes? What do you guys think?

VeloZer0
12-26-2010, 08:15 PM
That is the official timeline, though not all of us approve...

Elskidor
12-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Oh cool, never knew it was official. Didn't know FFX and X-2 was officially linked to the same story as VII either though.

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Actually, according to the Ultimania's all of the Ivalice titles are connected somehow, though they fail to explain exactly how. Even Vagrant Story and the TA series. How TA1 can possibly be connected to the rest is up to debate and most of the team won't comment on it but TA2 certainly made a clustersmurf for the whole series by connecting TA1 to XII and FFT.

VeloZer0
12-27-2010, 06:33 AM
I remember picking up an item in Vagrant Story that 'was rumored to belong to Agrias of the Zodiac Brave Story'.

Vyk
12-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Its Cloud's vacation home, and he's connected to like everything

Remon
12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Oooh so the lost technology in FFT is the technology from FF12's timeline? :D
The zodiac stones must have shrank too.
And the Viera were extinct T_T

Roogle
12-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Yes, I thought it was a well known fact that Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story are the last spots in the Ivalice timeline. In Ivalice, it appears that the future is much less vibrant than the past...

DMKA
12-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I thought Tactics Advanced was the one linked to XII?

Roogle
12-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance takes place in a fantastic version of Ivalice. There is a timeline where every title that takes place in Ivalice is linked to the other games; for example, I previously mentioned that Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story take place near the end of the timeline and give us a glimpse at the future of Ivalice.

VeloZer0
12-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Technically the other titles give us a glimpse of the past of Ivalice, as FFT and VS greatly pre-date them :D

Saber
01-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I know that tactics and XII have very little in common. I looked to see if the world was the same but its not. Even the towns are different. Nothing about the story ties them together. I guess its the other games that do this? If so how?

Roogle
01-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I know that tactics and XII have very little in common. I looked to see if the world was the same but its not. Even the towns are different. Nothing about the story ties them together. I guess its the other games that do this? If so how?

Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII share the same world; however, you are right that the two do not share any geographic locations as they take place in different parts of that world. The Ivalice Alliance and its titles mostly only share some mythology and geography aside from small references.

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII share the same world; however, you are right that the two do not share any geographic locations as they take place in different parts of that world. The Ivalice Alliance and its titles mostly only share some mythology and geography aside from small references.

Don't forget the Lucavi are in both titles, though in a much more muted role in XII. The backstory is still pitch on though.

Vagrant Story also connects both cause Vagrant Story takes place in the Valendian area of Ivalice which is also where Archades is said to be located in XII. Vagrant Story also has a reference to Agrias Oaks as well as a mention of Delita as well in the descriptions of accessories.

Roogle
01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Vagrant Story also connects both cause Vagrant Story takes place in the Valendian area of Ivalice which is also where Archades is said to be located in XII. Vagrant Story also has a reference to Agrias Oaks as well as a mention of Delita as well in the descriptions of accessories.

I never finished Vagrant Story, unfortunately. You never leave Leá Monde, correct? You never get to actually explore or see the region that Vagrant Story takes place in.

Hollycat
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
refrences:
cloud: ff9, ff10
joseph: ff9, ff10-2
shinryu: 1, 5, 6, 8, 12, dissidia
lunarians (also cid is one in ff1, but you never see him cause he dead): 1, 4, 5[yes in a town in the 2nd world] in 7 they are the ancients. you could force 9, but I wouldnt.
dwarves live underground in a place filled with lava in(except in ff1 and 9): ff1, ff4, ff5, ff9

Wolf Kanno
01-06-2011, 09:17 AM

I never finished Vagrant Story, unfortunately. You never leave Leá Monde, correct? You never get to actually explore or see the region that Vagrant Story takes place in.

You never leave Lea Monde in the gameplay part but you actually get to see other locations in the prologue and ending. Not to mention the prologue is written by Durai, the same guy who narrates Tactics.

I also forgot about Kiltia which is the ancient religion of Mullenkamp that is trying to be wiped out in VS. In XII, its the religious order that Lady Ashe seeks in Bur-Omisace. Tactics fans speculate that the Church of VS is a future version of the Glabados Church.

refrences:
lunarians (also cid is one in ff1, but you never see him cause he dead): 1, 4, 5[yes in a town in the 2nd world] in 7 they are the ancients. you could force 9, but I wouldn't.

First, Cid isn't a Lunarian, he's a Lufenian, which is equally absurd and I seriously don't feel like anything in Dissidia should ever be taken as canon. Second, I would need a name for that town cause I've played V quite a bit and don't recall any such reference. Third, the Cetra are not Lunarians, they are an entirely different race. IX does make a parallel to them with the people of Terra but IX is all about referencing the rest of the series.

Hollycat
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
ok, and ill go see if I can find which town, I'll have to start a new game.

erikramza
10-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Timeline. ff 12. Ff7. Fft. Vagrant story.
The advance games are either precursors, or some time after 7 but before tactics.
refrences? Lol. Nope.

Bolivar
10-18-2011, 02:55 AM
There's a full map out there somewhere but basically FFT Ivalice is to the West of FFXII Ivalice. In XII Archadia in the East is fighting Rozarria in the West and in FFT Ivalice just got over a war with Rozarria to the East. I'm guessing Ivalice is more like a prestigious title for a region, like how the Byzantines carried on the mantle of "Rome" after Rome itself fell.

I also believe that Valeria and Zenobia from the Ogre Battle series are somewhere to the North of western Ivalice and migrated there or vice versa, as the name Denam, as in the protagonist of Tactics Ogre, seems related to Denamunda, the name of FFT's kings.

The zodiac stones must have shrank too.

I just assume the zodiac stones are the magicite and/or nethicite from XII. Like how Archades caused that accident in Nabudis with it, so did St. Ajora in Muronde.

Greatermaximus
10-23-2011, 12:42 PM
This is part of fiction's upper limit. Something happening at a time not every real person can agree on. Otherwise it's almost topic worthy to point out that final fantasy is based around magic. It should be no surprise people appear and disappear from the most strangest places. That is one of the main invented purposes of this series/fiction.

Skyblade
10-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Actually, according to the Ultimania's all of the Ivalice titles are connected somehow, though they fail to explain exactly how. Even Vagrant Story and the TA series. How TA1 can possibly be connected to the rest is up to debate and most of the team won't comment on it but TA2 certainly made a clustersmurf for the whole series by connecting TA1 to XII and FFT.

Yeah, the main problem is how to connect TA1 to everything. The others all fit in relatively nicely, but TA1 is not nice at all. I've been playing through and trying to work out how the connection really works for quite some time now (believe it or not, I am still working on my sequel/story idea), and I just cannot do it.

And the problem is, it really isn't compatable. Ivalice in FFTA is a single country, rather than the entire world. The Salikawood appears in both FFXII and FFTA, despite the two being supposedly completely different geographical locations. Similarly, Aisenfield appears in both FFTA and FFTA2, which, again, take place in differing locales.

Yet they do tie them directly together. Ezel Berbier is in both games, indicating that they take place within a fairly short timeframe. Montblanc shows up in both FFTA and FFTA2, and is, canonically, the same Montblanc from FFXII. Vaan, Penelo, and Al-Cid show up as well. All this pretty much forces the conclusion that FFTA, FFTA2, and FFXII all take place within a single lifetime of each other.

The only way I've been able to actually make it fit is by blaming everything on the Gran Grimoire. It is also still in canon, and, according to both FFTA and FFTA2, is pretty much all powerful. So what must have happened is that the Gran Grimoire transported Mewt and company to Ivalice, much as the Grimoire of the Rift transported Luso there, and then the Grimoire changed Ivalice to match Mewt's mind and desires. So Ivalice was a stand-alone world that Mewt changed, rather than created, and it most likely changed back with his departure, including reshaping the memories of those who live there to completely forget about the events and the fact that the world reshaped itself twice within a span of a few years. Not the most fun explanation, but the only one that comes close to working.

Roogle
10-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I wonder about the timeline because it seems like it was all forced together to sound cohesive for the concept of the Ivalice Alliance. I doubt that this was all planned out properly like how a timeline should be. For example, in the Suikoden series, there are numerous disconnects between Suikoden II and Suikoden V. Suikoden V takes place a number of years before Suikoden and Suikoden II, but was developed only a few years ago. It becomes difficult to connect ideas like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance to the other games because it was such a different take on things, likely made without continuity for the Ivalice Alliance in mind.

Skyblade
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I wonder about the timeline because it seems like it was all forced together to sound cohesive for the concept of the Ivalice Alliance. I doubt that this was all planned out properly like how a timeline should be. For example, in the Suikoden series, there are numerous disconnects between Suikoden II and Suikoden V. Suikoden V takes place a number of years before Suikoden and Suikoden II, but was developed only a few years ago. It becomes difficult to connect ideas like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance to the other games because it was such a different take on things, likely made without continuity for the Ivalice Alliance in mind.

You can remove the "seems like" bit from that sentence. It was retconned to fit in. Technically, the only games that are a part of the Ivalice Alliance are FFTA2, FFT: War of the Lions, FFXII International Zodiac Job System, and Revenant Wings. They weren't all linked, especially not that closely, before that. FFTA was loosely based off of FFXII, as the games were in development at the same time. It even figured as a plot point that Mewt imagined the world based of a Final Fantasy game (kind of hilarious, since FFXII and the Bangaa which were mentioned as being a part of it, had not seen release yet). So it wasn't really planned as an active part of the lore. Nor, for that matter, was XII originally.

The Ivalice Alliance came out after the success of both those games meant that Square could try to milk more money out of the IP, and they did a very poor job of cramming together vastly differing projects. Fortunately, the Ivalice games have mostly been of such high quality that we just don't care, and it does give me (as the resident Ivalice historian) some fun work to do trying to sort out how everything works and what relations the various stories and myths have to each other.

Bolivar
10-25-2011, 05:50 AM
That's the problem, though, that the Ivalice universe/timeline does make a lot of sense up until the Ivalice Alliance. We know how and where FFT, Vagrant Story, and FFXII fit in with eachother, and it could be reasonably agreed that Mewt used the Grimomire to build a world off of a video game he had played, and that game was Final Fantasy XII. Yeah, it wasn't out yet, but iirc they were in development at the same time and if the Matsuno mess hadn't happened at Square, I think XII would have actually been released before Tactics Advanced.

As far as I remember none of the original team had much to do with the Alliance. Hell, I like Motomu Toriyama and I liked Revenant Wings a lot, but ideally, he should not have been allowed anywhere near that series, especially when he was working on a number of projects already, all of which were also titles he should *not* have been working on, because he was supposed to be envisioning the Direction for the next numbered Final Fantasy title, instead of wasting precious time, ultimately sabotaging the game and arguably the credibility of the franchise, in order to make spinoffs (seriously, wtf).

Up until Square decided it needed three spin-off franchises (FFVII, FNC, Ivalice Alliance) inside of a franchise which already had spin-off franchises (Crystal Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts, now Dissidia and 4 Warriors), Ivalice was a closed universe, developed by a closed team. It's obviously a continuation of the Ogre Battle franchise, in which every game takes the form of a different RPG sub-genre. At this point, it's highly likely that XII, Tactics, and Vagrant Story are actually each one of the games in the original scenario for Ogre Battle Episodes I-IV.

So FFTA2, Revenant Wings, and War of the Lions may alter products produced by Square, but they have no bearing on what the actual concept for Ivalice is in Matsuno/Minagawa's heads.

Skyblade
10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I never finished Revenant Wings (actually, I couldn't figure out how to finish Revenant Wings. As far as I can tell, the game is basically unplayable after a certain point), so I can't really comment, but what I saw of that game also fit in reasonably well with the whole canon of Ivalice. It occured between XII and Tactics, and doesn't exactly ruin any of what we had before.

And FFTA2, again, fits in with what we had previously. Sure, several main characters take a vacation to Jylland, but that is not exactly lore-breaking. The only real problem (aside from the butchery of the main story, and, seriously, why did they do that when the rest of the game is as awesome as it is?) is that it attempts to directly tie FFTA to the rest of Ivalice, which can't be done.

I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but how did Revenant Wings or FFTA2, on their own, fail to fit into the Ivalice lore?

Bolivar
10-25-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't know if they failed to fit in on their own or created any direct contradictions. Actually, I thought you were implying they were rushed to fit in with the lore and ended up ruining it, but it seems what you said was that the games were never intended to be a part of the same lore until the Alliance. My bad!

My whole thing is that Ivalice is the creation of the mind of Matsuno and envisioned by Akihido Yoshida, Hitoshi Sakimoto, and Hiroshi Minagawa (and sometimes Hiroyuki Ito and Hideo Minaba). As much as I liked Revenant Wings, I'm not sure if Square really should have touched the series without them. We don't know if the story with the winged people and their relation to the Occuria really happened, or whatever went down in TA2. For as obsessed as Square is with exploiting its IP, it really doesn't understand how it is you build its strength.

I mean, I'm also of the mind that Tactics, Vagrant Story, and XII were created as separate entries of the same saga all along, and were probably originally Ogre Battle episodes.

Wolf Kanno
10-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Well technically Revenant Wings was a last minute addition. The game was originally mean to be an original IP but SE execs decided to go with the momentum of XII's release and turn it into a quick sequel. That's why it doesn't actually have many members of the Tactics team involved.

I can agree with Bolivar that FFTactics was most likely a Tactics Ogre entry re-written as an FF title but I don't think VS or XII are. While VS definitely has a few mentions from Tactics world (and technically XII but we'll ignore that) I wouldn't be surprised if they were simply meant to be shout outs to Tactics and not some tie-in. I think the whole "Its Tactics world at a later date" ended up being something where the developers simply said "sure, why the hell not?" after they heard fans speculating.

XII in my mind was always suppose to be Matsuno's revision of what Ivalice was meant to be. I felt the inclusion of the different races, was basically him taking the concept of Ivalice from FFTactics and going back to square one . I mean even the moogles in Tactics when referenced, made it sound like they had more in common with the moogles of FFV and VI than they did with the Moogles we've seen in the Ivalice Alliance so far. So I kind of feel that if Matsuno was still running the show, he would probably suggest that Tactics, Vagrant Story, and TA1 are connected to Ivalice but they are not connected historically. They simply share the theme of Ivalice and XII was meant to be a new starting point. Now, I feel the remaining team is connecting them together, but with the exception of TA series, I feel the rest have no issues being connected to each other as long as they are split by hundreds sometimes a thousand years apart. TA1 is just the loose cannon cause no one knows if its the origin story of Ivalice, or if its a weird side story where our world mixed with Ivalice.

Personally, I'm still hoping for a new entry in the Ivalice Alliance, its mostly been Crystal Defenders game lately, and now that Matsuno helped work with the remake of Tactics Ogre, I'm hoping he can be contracted into a new Ivalice game.

Bolivar
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
^ Me, too, I actually asked Alexander O. Smith and his partner what the likelihood of this happening was at PAX East last year(Inside Game Localization FF12, Tactics Ogre, and Beyond! Part III - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVtVDRu2V0M) -> starts off just shortly after I started talking!). He didn't shoot me down! But he also said he can't comment, which leads me to believe he's already signed the Non-Disclosure Agreement. It's happening, baby!!!

I think your thoughts are interesting, Wolf. I haven't played Vagrant Story (I'm scared to, is it on US PS Store?) but from what I've heard it does sound like it was an original game with nods to Tactics as a kind of easter egg for fans of the director.

I still kind of feel like XII was intended to be a MGS3-type precursor, where the implications of how the world turned out the way it did in the later games isn't immediately apparent. But I think with the location of Rozarria and the explanation of the creation of nethicite/magicite, and the little Glabados nod at the end, it was intended to be the "Episode I" kind of entry in the series. But I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up uncovering some dev docs confirming what you say.

Man, I really love these games, I hope they come back together, too!

Wolf Kanno
10-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Vagrant Story is on PSN, you should give it a try, its like what would happen if Matsuno was in charge of a MGS game if you ask me. VS seriously defies being pigeonholed into a genre, but that's a good thing.

As for him working on more projects, I'm hopeful but now that he's joined Level-5 to pursue working on smaller titles, it may be awhile unless he finished up another project with SE that no knew about before joining them. Of course SE has a pretty good working relationship with Level-5 so its not exactly unlikely he can't be roped into another remake, I know the Tactics team really wanted to do a remake of Vagrant Story after they finished XII, so maybe he can be roped into that.

Bolivar
10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Right, I forgot about him joining Level 5. If he joined as an employee that makes it harder but I guess it wouldn't be too hard for them and Square to work something out.

Marlowe Serpentarius
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I apologize in advance if I'm bumping a dead topic, but...

The only real problem (aside from the butchery of the main story, and, seriously, why did they do that when the rest of the game is as awesome as it is?) is that it attempts to directly tie FFTA to the rest of Ivalice, which can't be done.
How exactly is FFTA tied to FFTA2, again? The game's developers explicitly made it crystal clear (http://www.tipstricks.com/features-FFW-Interview2.php) in this interview that the world of TA2 isn't the same as its predecessor, making a clear differentiation between the illusion-based Ivalice and the real Ivalice; the Gran Grimoire created a fabrication for Mewt in the first game, but transported Luso to an actual world in the second. I'd say the most probable reason Tactics Advance isn't included in Ivalice Alliance is merely for the fact that it never was meant to occur in the timeline because it was readily acknowledged as a different world to begin with. The only real plot element tying the two games together is the St. Ivalice portion.

I don't see what recurring characters prove, either. The fact that they are recurring doesn't exclude one incarnation of a certain character as being a dream-based illusion in the first installment and the genuine article in the next.

Wolf Kanno
11-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm afraid that saying they don't take place in the same version of Ivalice as TA1 doesn't necessarily negate the fact they are all connected. The Ultimania for XII International Version actually features a few pages in discussing FFTA1 in the section about Ivalice and the connections to all the Ivalice Alliance. It even mentions Vagrant Story briefly.

There are a few ties to TA that TA2 makes. Easily the best evidence for their connections comes from the fact Luso gets the Grimoire from none other than Mewt himself. Mr. Randell the librarian is Mewt Randell grown up, his teddy bear he carries is even on his desk in the games prologue, and he even mentions in the ending he's been to Ivalice. So the Grimoire Luso uses to visit Ivalice is the same one Mewt used to create his Dream Ivalice.

One controversial piece of evidence is when Montblanc gets K.O. in the Japanese version of TA2, he says "Ma..." and drops. Some speculate he's calling out to Marche, but I like to believe he's calling out to his Master who was felled by Yiazmat. Yet the controversy continues.

Marlowe Serpentarius
11-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Perhaps I should've worded my post a bit more sensibly. I didn't mean to imply that TA isn't canonical or doesn't have some kind of connection to the other games; the fact that its prologue occurs in St. Ivalice (in addition to the inclusion of the Grimoire) some years before TA2 does necessitate an inherent relation to the other installments in Ivalice Alliance or at least TA2 itself. My point is that it doesn't really contradict anything and it certainly isn't difficult to fit in, considering that the magical world of Ivalice portrayed in TA is - for all intents and purposes - NOT the real Ivalice as portrayed in TA2. That fact was confirmed by its creators, so we have no reason to doubt its validity.

I realize that there are no two Grimoires, but the statement in that interview seems to rather strongly suggest that it can do much more than just create imaginary worlds. As far as the "Ma..." controversy goes, it's built entirely on speculation and thus doesn't make for a very strong argument (although I do find it plausible that he could've been referring to his master).

In conclusion, TA is directly connected to TA2 and indirectly connected to the other Ivalice titles through TA2, unless we assume that St. Ivalice is Ivalice's future... which is admittedly possible. But in any case, the worlds the Grimoire creates or transports an individual to in TA and TA2 are essentially different. I fail to see any continuity problems from that.

Bolivar
11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't know why we're fretting over this part of the timeline, Tactics Advanced sucked. :holmes:

VeloZer0
11-16-2011, 03:21 AM
I don't know why we're fretting over this part of the timeline, Tactics Advanced sucked. :holmes:
That's not nice, let them have their fun.

Wolf Kanno
11-17-2011, 04:45 AM

Says the guy who thinks Revenant Wings was a "good" game. :screwy:

Bolivar
11-17-2011, 05:43 AM
I was j/k!!! I actually put a decent amount of time into FFTA, really good game, I just didn't stick with it and I feel like those who did were rewarded immensely. I can get down with that.

As a massive RPG and RTS fan, I think my opinion is entitled to enjoy a modest degree of credibility. Revenant Wings was awesome.

Wolf Kanno
11-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Man, its awful, its plot is just a FFX knockoff, half the cast is more cartoony than in their original game. Outside of boss battles you just stay by summoning gates with your major characters and just keep sending foot soldiers to murder everything like I'm trying to actually run a historically fictional re-enactment of the Russian military strategy in WWI, except it actually works. I find the battles to be boring and repetitive, they don't have the real resource management elements that make RTS games engaging, nor are the units specialized enough to make using one type of flying unit over another, outside of the occasional time you want to play the "elemental exploitation" game.

The controls are pretty awful, and only get worse if your whole army gets trapped in an all-out brawl. I can forgive the controls because its not like SE has a great history of making RTS, but I really can't forgive the rest. Considering the Aegyl have never appeared again the Ivalice Alliance (hell FFTA2 practically makes a new race to replace them) I get the feeling SE agrees that distancing the series from the game is the right idea.

Bolivar
11-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I didn't have any problems with the controls, I played the game in lots of different ways all the time, separate from your WWI strategy (good history joke btw). And while it don't have the same resource management of RTS (it actually does, just not the resource-gathering that has hindered RTS imo) it does have the basic rock-paper-scissors element of RTS with how to combine those units to take down different groups. The item collection and synthesis was better than many games who attempt it and I found the use of FFTA sprites and the reuse of FFXII music to be charming. It was one of those early (early for me at least) DS games that just felt and sounded in an awesome way that complemented the system's specs. It's hard to explain, but it sounded good running on the DS, and felt good too. I also think you calling the cast "cartoony" is because THEY'RE CARTOONS IN THIS ONE! Other than that, I didn't find the dialogue particularly far below the standard of FFXII, although it is hard to mimic the greatness of FFXII/Kingdom Hearts/FFX & X-2 writer Daisuke Watanabe!!!:kakapo:

By the way, has anyone seen that little guy (kakapo above) moving slowly in a choppy framerate? It looks so much more pimped out when it's like that!

And how is the story a FFX knock-off!? If anything it continued FFXII's theme of freedom.

The Aegyl are in Tactics Ogre. Maybe Ogre Battle, too, I can't remember.

I haven't played the game since I beat it when it came out, so I can't really go deeper into it, but I remember the "elemental game" being much more useful than a thing you occasionally "play", that unit diversity did matter in that game, and that there was something cool with the espers about it as well. This doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand, and we're really getting into our usual "let's derail a thread by talking about whether a single game is good or not!" thing, so maybe we should just leave this at that and not argue over who's right and who doesn't like Revenant Wings :lol:

Wolf Kanno
11-18-2011, 07:06 AM
not argue over who's right and who likes Revenant Wings :lol:

Fixed it for you, but yeah, we won't derail the thread.

If you're wondering about the FFX comparison, I mean... you go to a tropical ancient paradise that worships a god who turned out to be some crazy guy, who sacrificed his own people, for his own crazy ideas, and now these spirits, are asking you to stop him cause they want sleep, but as long as he is active the cycle will continue. Not to mention the Judge of Wings scenario isn't far from Shuyin's story.

So basically:
Feolthanes = Yu Yevon
Yarhi/summons = Fayeth/summons
Yarhi Odin = Fayeth Bahamut
Judge of Wings = Shuyin

I think when you look at it like that you'll know what I mean. Its similar to FFX, just on a smaller scale and there's no religious order complicating things. Its only made more amusing because Motomu Toriyama worked on all three games.

Slothy
11-18-2011, 02:06 PM
As a massive [...] RTS fan

Revenant Wings was awesome.

Me thinks you contradict yourself sir.

Bolivar
11-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Whatever! You know, you guys... I had fun. And you can't argue against fun. Can we please get back to the tpoic of Ivalice's timeline here???

I mean, smurf...

espritduo
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
All the Ivalice Alliance games are connected, and do take place in the same world at different times. The timeline goes like this:

1. FFXII - Earliest game in the Alliance, takes place far to the east of the Tactics region of Ivalice. As ancient as this time is, it is not the most ancient time referenced in the Ivalice Alliance. The "Galtean Era" was a golden age of magic when the Dynast King reigned, long before FFXII's time.

2. FFXII: Revenant Wings -Takes place a year after FFXII. Mostly takes place on the floating islands of Lemures, above Ivalice, but the latter half takes place in FFXII's region of Valendia, and also features a couple locations in the Tactics region at the western edge of the lower world map(Bervenia Volcano and Glabados island).

3. FFTA2 - Main story takes place a little while after FFXII: Revenant Wings. The region is on the opposite side of the Tactics region of Ivalice as FFXII, taking place on the continent to the west of the Tactics region, known as Loar. Later on, it does open up the Tactics continent, but none of the area names coincide with the Tactics areas besides Goug. The name for the entire region is called Jylland, with the continent of Loar on the west side, and the continent of Ordalia on the east side.

4. FFTactics - Takes place hundreds, if not thousands of years after FFXII, Revenant Wings, and FFTA2. The events of the previous games are nothing but ancient history and legend. The Tactics region of Ivalice is situationed between the regions of FFTA2 and FFXII.

5. Vagrant Story - Takes place long after the events of Tactics, but has anecdotes by Alazlam Durai, a descendant of Olan Durai from FF Tactics, and the narrator of Tactics, so it must not be *too* far in the future of the game. Probably only hundreds of years, not thousands. Takes place in Valendia, which as Wolf Kanno said, is the name for the geographical region of Ivalice where Archades was situated.

6. FFTA - The Ivalice seen in this game is a fantasy version of Ivalice created by Mewt using the Gran Grimoire, so it does not actually exist, and the events that take place during the main game do not have any connection with the actual Ivalice timeline or geography, regardless of what some misguided fans think Montblanc was trying to say in FFTA2. However, the "present day" St. Ivalice seen at the beginning and end of the game is the far, far, far future of Ivalice, and thus shows the farthest point in the Ivalice timeline. St. Ivalice takes place in a time where the world is pretty much identical to the real world, and even has the same history as our world. It is stated that "before the time of the great flood and Noah's Ark" is when the Gran Grimoire and the other grimoires were made, in the Kiltia region of Ivalice. So it would seem that the events after Tactics basically follow the Biblical history of the real world, with the Tactics world being destroyed by a great flood, paving the way for the "real world" civilization to develop exactly as the history of the real world flowed.

7. The "present day" portion of FFTA2 seen at the beginning and end of the game that Luso is from is the same St. Ivalice where Marche and Mewt were from in FFTA. This part of FFTA2 takes place years after the events of FFTA, and Mewt is now an adult. Also, the Gran Grimoire has nothing to do with FFTA2. There are different grimoires of varying powers and strengths, with the Gran Grimoire being the most powerful of all, having the power to re-shape reality itself, and bring the dreams of its owner to life. The grimoire that Luso finds is the Grimoire of the Rift, which has the ability to transport its owner through time and space. This is why Mewt's Ivalice is not real, and Luso's is the real Ivalice. Mewt creates his own Ivalice using the Gran Grimoire. Luso is transported into the past using the Grimoire of the Rift.