PDA

View Full Version : Covers just as good or better than the original

Shoden
12-26-2010, 07:52 PM
So, just a few little rules here, list some covers you think are just as good as the original but not only that, add a little bit of explanation so there's a bit of discussion going on, as long as no one's at eachother's throats or being overtly super serial then I see it as being no problem at all.
I can trust my fellow EoFFers to behave in a musical discussion. Right? RIIGHT?

Right.

For me I'd have to say for just as good:
Metallica - Blitzkrieg

I know the band's current lineup personally quite well but also some of the musicians who originally did this song and this is actually a very fitting cover. Metallica always did good covers though. It has the original feel and flow of the original with James Hetfield's then raspy voice fitting it perfectly.

Iced Earth - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Its hard to do an Iron Maiden cover I always reckoned, the synergy between Dave Murray and Adrian Smith even in recordings is at such a level it has this feel, some sort of spirit of its own which I think is why some of the songs from Iron Maiden in the 90's flopped as I think it was Adrian Smith that left the band.
But the baritone vocals from Matt Barlow here and the downtuned guitars here really do not only make the song their own but also make for a very fitting cover.

Blind Guardian - Beyond The Realms of Death

I'm a huge Judas Priest fanboy and I've seen some horrible, HORRIBLE covers done but this is the opposite, a fantastic cover I'd have never thought possible. The original emotion of Halford's voice and the way its sang is not only replicated well but its done so freely. The guitars are heavy and they are loud, yeah but they're like that to make up for the fact they got some of the tight licks from the original missed out but that's no bother, the drums and vocals and even the bass and hell, even the end solo is done so bloody well.

Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust

Heard the original but although I have no love for it there's a shadow of emotion and feeling in there that's just quite missed in this innocent and informal leather and studs NWOBHM take of a slow ballad. Still, Priest made it such a catchy and iconic song somewhat and though it lacks the emotion in the recording, live, oh live it takes an entirely different form.

Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi

Yeah, I've heard the Fleetwood Mac version and well, although its not as dark I think Judas Priest just almost steal this song as their own. Putting in some grinding, haunting riffs and some air guitarrable lush-ness. With some awesome screaming at the end which has become as iconic as the song itself. Yep, good cover, in fact, my inner fanboy says its better! *gasp*

I'd list more but I can't really be arsed. So yeah, what about you guys?

NorthernChaosGod
12-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Johnny Cash - Hurt

Didn't we have a thread like this not that long ago? I think my memory is running together.

Clo
12-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I feel like every cover of Hallelujah is better than Cohen's original.

Elskidor
12-27-2010, 01:52 AM
These types of lists can get very dangerous. One persons treasure is another persons trash I guess. I like a lot of covers better than the originals though. Most of Johnny Cash' covers I find better than the originals (even the Beatles and Dylan), and Nirvana's Unplugged album beats most of the originals too. Yet, I consider just about anyone who's covered Queen, GN'R, NIN, Fleetwood Mac and some of my favorite bands to fall way short on quality when compared to the original. There is nothing wrong with them, but it's hard to see them as better as something you grew up on and loved from the start. But I will add...

Manfred Mann Earth Band - Blinded by the Light. It just ROCKS!! And I don't even know if Bruce Springsteen fans like the original, or how many people even know it was origanaly Springsteen's song.

Pheesh
12-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Karnivool :: Sleeping Satellite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlBU8ln0JJQ)

They took a lame song and made it awesome, nuff said really. Besides, that's their smurfing guitarist singing and he still owns. The singer just sits around until he does some harmonies at the end.

Inferno
12-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Didn't we have a thread like this not that long ago? I think my memory is running together.

We did (http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/129857-when-cover-beats-original.html)

Breine
12-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Seriously? The only great cover version of the song I can think of is Jeff Buckley's. All others are alright at best.

The original is great, and the fact that it's been covered so much is a bit of a shame.

Raistlin
12-28-2010, 10:39 PM
This thread does come up every 6 months or so.

Two other covers I like (beyond those mentioned) are Nirvana's "The Man Who Stole the World" and APC's "Imagine."

Shoden
12-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Oh and just for the sake of it I'll say this one:

Northern Kings - Don't Stop Believing

there's nothing WRONG with the original, or rather there wasn't until it was overplayed time and time again and murdered from karaoke wannabes. I hear covers of it all the time, yeah, fine, that's great!
But my problem is that it gets annoying after a while, club bands, pub bands have been covering and milking this song since it first came out surely so elsewhere people have been dreading this song for so much longer.
Its up there with Summer of 69, Sweet Child of Mine, You Shook Me All Night Long, Freebird and even now there's sex on fire to add to that list, good gods I could go on...

right, Northern Kings metalised this song, literally, they turned it from cheese to manliness with a bit of distortion, powerful vocals and a boatload less effeminate lovey dovey 80's charisma. They took the song and brought it out into a new genre and era and yet the only cover of it we see glorified commercially is fucking Glee... Bloody hell man. Bloody hell. That's just evil.

/rant

DMKA
12-29-2010, 04:48 AM
Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" is loads better than the original.

Peegee
12-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Johnny Cash - Hurt

You took my Johnny Cash nomination.

Elskidor
12-30-2010, 02:57 AM
I love Johnny Cash, but I can't see his version of Hurt loads over NIN. Infact, I wouldn't consider it better at all, just a great version Cash style. Trent's Hurt is my favorite off of the Downward Spiral cd though, so that's bias kicking in probably.

leader of mortals
12-30-2010, 06:52 AM

Seriously? The only great cover version of the song I can think of is Jeff Buckley's. All others are alright at best.

The original is great, and the fact that it's been covered so much is a bit of a shame.

I actually don't like Jeff's version too much, but John Cale's is, in my opinion, better than Cohen's. I love both, though, it's an amazing song.

Shiny
01-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Beck's cover of Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime

Shattered Dreamer
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Far - Long Snake Moan

It's a cover of PJ Harvey's song, the Far version has more "balls" (ironic given PJ is a women lol). If you could put PJ's vocal on a track with Far's music you'd have an epic tune.

Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar

I know Thin Lizzy's version isn't technically the original, it's a traditional Irish song made famous by The Dubliners. The Metallica version is my favorite.

Apologize - Silverstein

A cover of the One Republic hit song and it kicks some ass. Although is has to be said the screamo part is completely unnecessary and had they of left it out this cover would be even better!

30 Seconds To Mars - Stronger

A cover of Kanye West's remix of the Daft Punk song Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. This cover is just beautiful I recommend you check it out!

NorthernChaosGod
01-05-2011, 11:11 AM
30 Seconds To Mars - Stronger

A cover of Kanye West's remix of the Daft Punk song Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. This cover is just beautiful I recommend you check it out!

That sounds... interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Roto13
01-08-2011, 01:23 AM
I love Johnny Cash, but I can't see his version of Hurt loads over NIN. Infact, I wouldn't consider it better at all, just a great version Cash style. Trent's Hurt is my favorite off of the Downward Spiral cd though, so that's bias kicking in probably.

Johnny Cash's version does weird things to my soul.

crashNUMBERS
01-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Wow, I was going to suggest the Cash song too. NIN's version wasn't bad, it was a lot darker. But Cash's version was much more depressing and deep.

Shoden
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Steel Panther's do of Whole Lotta Rosie is pretty much just as good as the original, in fact better than the live versions now because Brian Johnson doesn't have the defining voice for that song!!

Van Halen's You Really Got Me and Hammerfall's My Sharona are definitely ones I consider better than the originals.

Pheesh
01-11-2011, 05:01 AM
I'm not sure if it leans more toward the area of 're-imagining', but Clint Mansell's Black Swan OST is an amazing remake of the classic ballet.

Roto13
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Steel Panther's do of Whole Lotta Rosie is pretty much just as good as the original, in fact better than the live versions now because Brian Johnson doesn't have the defining voice for that song!!

Van Halen's You Really Got Me and Hammerfall's My Sharona are definitely ones I consider better than the originals.

I was so sad when I picked You Really Got Me to play in Guitar Hero II and it was the Van Halen version and not the superior original Kinks version.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2011, 07:20 PM

I was so sad when I picked You Really Got Me to play in Guitar Hero II and it was the Van Halen version and not the superior original Kinks version.

Son I am disappoint.

Shoden
01-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Son I am disappoint.

The superior tone and solo would make the song vastly more difficult I'd think.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Eddie and David Lee Roth are just win and the cover is vastly superior.

Shoden
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
It is indeed but if you're gonna pick a song on GH and expect its easy because you think its the original and it turns out its a much harder cover, well that'd be like telling a child Santa Clause isn't real or the Easter Bunny is secretly the devil.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
It is GH, I figured the VH cover would be a much more likely choice than the original. xD

Shorty
01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Andrew Bird - Oh Sister (Bob Dylan)
APC - Imagine (John Lennon)
Bauhaus - Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie) - I love David Bowie, but Bauhaus outdid themselves with this cover.
Dynamite Hack - Boys in the Hood (Eazy E)
Fiona Apple - Sally's Song
Heather Nova - Wicked Game (Chris Isaak)
Ingrid Michaelson - Can't Help Falling In Love With You (Elvis Presley)
Save Ferris - Come On, Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners)

I like both Cohen and Buckley's Hallelujiah above any others. And Hurt by NIN is better than done by Johnny Cash.

Vyk
01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
I like the darker, grittier style of Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson. Gob did a great job updating Paint it Black, though in most opinions they probably wouldn't even be the superior cover (there are dozens), but I think they stay closer to the original than most. Framing Hanley fixed that stupid Lollipop song and made it awesome

Elskidor
01-12-2011, 11:05 PM
I like the darker, grittier style of Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson.

Oh yeah, forgot all about that. Both versions are good, but Manson really did a good job changing it into something entirely different.

Shoden
01-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Gob did a great job updating Paint it Black, though in most opinions they probably wouldn't even be the superior cover (there are dozens), but I think they stay closer to the original than most.

Best version I've heard has to be from Glenn Tipton's solo project.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Gonna nerd it up on this one, but Katethegreat19's cover of Bonds of Sea and Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvaQneQOQSQ) from the Xenogears OST is awesome. She did the vocals, and all the instruments. She does a lot of great Final Fantasy covers, too. Sure most of you on here know that, but just incase some one hasn't.

Was NOT expecting this the first time I heard it. Not from a progressive metal band.

Periphery-Black or White (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8k3o_YB80Q&feature=related)

Merged ~ Shiny

Shorty
01-16-2011, 03:43 AM
One more.

Jeff Mangum - I Love How You Love Me (Bobby Vinton). Mangum's cover of this gives me butterflies when I hear this.

NeoCracker
01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Greatest cover ever.

YouTube - Whip My Hair ft Neil Young & Bruce Springsteen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpxZwbPcA38&feature=related)

escobert
01-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Deftones - Simple Man

sharkythesharkdogg
01-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Why were my posts merged when other people's posts haven't been? Is it because I have links in mine and it saves room or something? Not mad, just curious.:confused:

Also, here's a renn fair band covering the theme from Last of the Mohicans.

Circa Paleo-The Kiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9V7dlVCRQ)

I ask because if links are bad, I'll stop doing it. Just unsure.

NorthernChaosGod
01-25-2011, 03:31 AM
Deftones - Simple Man

No. NO. HELL NO. :nonono:

No one beats Skynyrd.

Rantz
01-25-2011, 08:41 PM
sharky, when a person posts consecutively we tend to merge unless there's a point in keeping the posts separate. Don't stop posting links! ;)

This is a cover I find surpasses the original:
YouTube - Homeless Mustard Sings "Creep" GREATEST Cover EVER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXlzci1rKNM)

sharkythesharkdogg
01-27-2011, 04:26 AM
sharky, when a person posts consecutively we tend to merge unless there's a point in keeping the posts separate. Don't stop posting links! ;)

ooohhhh!

http://www.fibrohaven.com/wp-content/uploads/knowledge_is_power.jpg

Oasis-Heroes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N202Kk1ifhI&feature=related)

I respect Bowie, but I never thought he gave the lyrics in this song the passion they deserved. The music didn't hit hard enough either. Noel and Oasis did it better.

Doomie
01-27-2011, 06:46 AM
The remake of Happiness is a Warm Gun from Across the Universe was pretty awesome.

Also, I tend to enjoy most of what Glee does, even though I have testes.

Oh. And David Cook's remake of Chris Cornell's remake of Billy Jean. I always thought that shouldn't have been a dance song.

Jiro
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
That Whip My Hair cover is awesome.

G13
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Deftones - Simple Man

No one beats Skynyrd.

Deftones did. :D

Miser - Zombie ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdbctjpSUsU). The only good one I can think of atm. I wouldn't say it's better than the original, I just like it for the harder feel to it.

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Deftones - Simple Man

No one beats Skynyrd.

Miser - Zombie ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdbctjpSUsU). The only good one I can think of atm. I wouldn't say it's better than the original, I just like it for the harder feel to it.
Negatory, that was bad.

Shoden
01-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Iron Savior's cover of Electric Eye by Judas Priest YouTube - Iron Savior - Electric Eye (Judas Priest cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5BxPpxQSA) is pretty much how a Judas Priest song should be covered and by that, I'm making a huge dig at Taiwanese Black Metal band Chthonic and their butchering of Painkiller...

escobert
01-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Negatory, that was bad.
Did I say they were better? No. the thread title says as good or better

I love Skynards version and I think the Deftones did a good job putting their twist on it while not changing the song.

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Just as good or better, which it was neither.

Rantz
01-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Cut it out. This thread is for sharing covers you like, not "my opinion is better than yours" banter.

Renmiri
01-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Wow, I was going to suggest the Cash song too. NIN's version wasn't bad, it was a lot darker. But Cash's version was much more depressing and deep.

Yup, Cash's cover of Hurt is haunting, particularly because it ringed so true for him to be singing it, after the life he had. And he died a little bit after so was like his "goodbye" song.

Just posted this instrumental cover of Smooth Criminal on another thread, it is loads above the original
YouTube - Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic - Smooth Criminal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVbEclPj4c)

Also love this cover of Guns of Brixton by Nouvelle Vague
YouTube - Bryn Oh - no light (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOqyTEnrBg)

And this one from Plan B - Stop Me from the Smiths
YouTube - Plan b- Stop me (*with lyrics*) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JleF46ARTiE)

asukaevaunit02
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
The Corrs - Everybody Hurts (Mtv Unplugged) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8TrQjCfyE&p=F8C4EBBBE338A6B1)
I really like this version, Andrea's voice is beautiful and I also like how they put their own Corrs/Irish feel to the song in particular with the violin.

Manny
02-04-2011, 03:59 AM
Ziggy Stardust originally by David Bowie, covered by Bauhaus.

I fucking love David Bowie, but Peter Murphy shows him up on this one. This cover is better than the original.

Free Fallin' by Tom Petty, covered by Stevie Nicks.

Stevie is <3 to begin with, but I nearly drool when I hear her cover of this song, it's so full of awesome.

escobert
04-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I know this is old but I cba to make a new one and I forgot about these two and their amazingness.

YouTube - Rodrigo Y Gabriella cover of Metallica&#39;s Orion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0CsLefLisE)

YouTube - Stairway to Heaven live (Rodrigo y Gabriela) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNc5o9TU0t0)

YouTube - Rodrigo Y Gabriela- One cover by Metallica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjb5o2EbPpY&feature=related)

Big D
04-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Alanis Morissette has an amusing take on My Humps; it's also better than the original by default, since any sound ever produced by anything is better than that song.

Unbreakable Will
04-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Dunno if it's been said but I liked Killswitch Engage's version of Holy Diver, it's a hell of a lot better than the original by Dio

NorthernChaosGod
04-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Dunno if it's been said but I liked Killswitch Engage's version of Holy Diver, it's a hell of a lot better than the original by Dio

You're dead to me. :nonono:

Unbreakable Will
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I like Dio as much as the next guy, but I like Killswitch's cover better. That's right. I said it. :colbert:

NorthernChaosGod
04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
That was metal, but Dio had the pipes of a shiny, golden god. We shall have to agree to disagree.

Iceglow
04-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I got a few that I feel are worth mentioning though first up, hell yes mentioning 30 Seconds To Mars covering Stronger is a must as was the honorable mention of Johhny Cash doing Hurt by NiN and Marylin Manson's cover of Tainted Love all great covers.

First up I've got 2 (if I can find the video for the second) by 30 Seconds To Mars not mentioned so far, I have no idea what makes these guys rock so well with cover versions but they do it well.

The first is their cover of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance which was like the Stronger cover done for the Radio 1 Live Lounge it can be heard here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ga_pr0vuHA)

Seems like I'm going to have to settle for the live version performed at the Virgin Megastores PA of this one but it's ok still. They did a cover of the Police's Message in a Bottle. It hasn't quite got the same astounding feel of their later covers but hell it's still good. Listen here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VsI_F_nyc&feature=related)

Second artist up I'm going to go with Lost Prophets covering Justin Timberlake's Cry Me A River I believe it was also featured on a Radio 1 Live Lounge CD anyhow it's amazing, Ian's voice totally suits it listen here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBDghQzDz0A&feature=related)

Thirdly, Metallica covering a Flogging Molly song, yes, you guessed it correctly. Whiskey In The Jar. This song is so well covered I don't believe it even needs further explaining. Shut up and listen bitches. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8QcmQTfsc)

Fourth, Disturbed doing their own take on Shout by Tears For Fears. They made it much darker, much heavier and well it was almost unrecognizable. Listen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvULJLIM7V8)

Fifth, jeez I'm getting in to this a little I'll call it before 10 hopefully but seriously I could sit here all night putting this together. Ok well on with the music, thats what you all wanna hear. Evanescence did a live rendition of Korn's Thoughtless, the softer vocals of Amy Lee kinda work for me though not everyone is going to agree with me. Here is the video anyhow. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZRm-30J1gw)

Sixth we've got another collection of awesome covers by a band which seems to do covers well, Rise Against I'm going to freely admit I'm biased because well they're my favourite band but well I think I'm on to something here:

Straight in with the first song by them: The Tour Song by Jawbreaker covered as an accoustic. It's awesome listen up. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gtislnnE3E)

Second song, a song which almost crossed paths with one of the other bands I love, they covered a Journey song. Anyway You Want It. As you can see though they did it well and therefore I didn't mind. Listen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO4US2payNs)

Third cover is of Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth. Not much more to say bout this one but it's great. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTU6K7shl6U)

Fourth and final cover I'm going to post from Rise Against is Black Flag's Fix Me. I know a lot of people think the sound Black Flag has is more raw but I like this version better. Listen here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCJavZKQu88)

Ok so moving on from Rise Against I forget what I'm up to even but well I'm going in a different direction, most of the songs I've posted so far have been punk/metal versions of songs. This next song is a cover done by Pixie Lott of Kings of Leon I'm not saying this is better than the original but I like it just as much for it's chilled out sound. Pixie Lott covers Use Somebody. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5o8L-Or0O4&feature=related)

Again a massive difference from the music you'd expect from me but this is Ellie Goulding covering an Elton John song. This is a beautiful version of the song Your Song. I cannot stress that the Elton John version is good but I never felt it how it was supposed to make someone feel but the female vocals here does it better justice. Your Song by Ellie Goulding. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AFMVMl9qE)

Ok this post is getting a little long even by my standards lol. I'm going to leave it here for now but there are so, so many more good covers I have heard that deserve a mention.

I Don't Need A Name
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Again a massive difference from the music you'd expect from me but this is Ellie Goulding covering an Elton John song. This is a beautiful version of the song Your Song. I cannot stress that the Elton John version is good but I never felt it how it was supposed to make someone feel but the female vocals here does it better justice. Your Song by Ellie Goulding. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AFMVMl9qE)

This kills me inside. I've never been an Ellie Goulding fan, but this tipped the iceberg. Everyone I know thought it was amazing. To me, all I hear is someone singing a beautiful song with absolutely zero emotion and over pronouncing every word in the song. It just sounds like someone reciting the song in RP. :[

My contribution to this would be Emily Browning's cover of The Smiths' song Asleep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IiLS1JtnRY). I think it's fantastic.