PDA

View Full Version : Battle System

Elskidor
12-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Just began piddling around on this game again and I have to say the battle system on this game is awesome. I know a lot of people hate it, but I think they took a step in a nice direction and it's a great way to break free of the random encounters without fully breaking free of it. I wonder how time consuming and costly it would be to could create a Final Fantasy with optional battle styles to chose from and add something like this for the people who like it and the traditional random encounter style for other players. I tend to like just about all the battle systems each game has to offer, and think it's great XII took such a leap in changing it for this game.

Yar
12-29-2010, 04:01 AM
I dislike it because your control on things is limited to one player and gambits. Yeah yeah, you can switch leaders and also select actions for your other members, but let's be realistic. Unless you want to change characters every single time, the game is going to do the work for you. Also, black magic is now basically useless.

Overall, I'd say it was a good system. I just don't think it was a change that the series needed. ATB is my favorite, and the greatest rendition of it is in X-2.

Random encounters versus non-random encounters is something that I can't decide myself. I like random encounters, but I understand the qualms some people have. I think XII did away with them nicely. XIII on the other hand...

Vermachtnis
12-29-2010, 04:07 AM
I didn't like it at first, but then I turned off Gambits and turned on wait it was good. And my optional do you mean like not being able to see the monsters on the world/dungeon map?

Elskidor
12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah sorta like how you can see the monsters in FFXII, and the Chrono games, and you can avoid the conflict altogether when in a hurry. I like to grind a lot though so in that case it's a harder to get them to respawn, but when I'm in a hurry it's nice to run past everything and get to work.

mikuel
12-30-2010, 10:36 AM
...it's new, kinda messy... i have not tried it.

It looks great. thats one point. and then there is the "splatter" or what ever it is. another point. But my typical plan (one tank, heal and black mage) is useless... minus point. then, leveling up is odd. another minus. And how tha hell do you get more spells? thrid minus. so on overall, it looks bad game riding on final fantasy title... but still i havent tried it, so i wont say anything. (seen my dad playing it)

Elpizo
12-31-2010, 09:00 PM
And how tha hell do you get more spells? thrid minus.

Same as in Final Fantasy I, II, III and V: you buy them. Hardly a minus.

Elskidor
12-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, buying spells is nothing new to the franchise, just a system that comes and goes depending on the creators. Summons are always changing depending on the game too. Sometimes only a summoner can summon, and others allow everyone to summon. Speaking of summons, I remember FFXII having a really weird way of handling summoning but have not gotten that far into the game yet.

Wolf Kanno
01-01-2011, 12:55 AM
I like that battle system and the overall flow of explorations and combat in the game. The world is large enough to where I actually feel obligated to look around and the battle system allows me to either pick and choose my battles or even allow my party to swat around enemies while I look around which is a nice change of pace between the usual RPG grind.

I enjoy customizing my parties and making different job classes and giving my party varying roles as well as just building whole strategies for the party with the gambits and seeing how well I've made my party. The battle system is more about being a tactician as opposed to a puppeteer and while I understand why most people may not care for it, I don't feel the game actually does anything wrong with its execution. Hell playing through XIII, I was amazed how often I thought to myself how I could have built better versions of most of the paradigms in XII.

My issues with XII stem more with treasure chests and the bazaar than the actual gameplay.

I pretty much dig XII's combat system :love:

Poor Chocobo
02-01-2011, 01:15 AM
I like the equipment set up, it reminds me of Tactics. The director from FFT was involved on XII I believe.

Gambit system does make it quite easy fighting normal mobs but bosses and side quests/bosses ive found quite challenging. Only on my first play through, cant see myself playing this one over like I have with other ff's..

dambaz
08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
despised the battle system first time i played it i remember thinking is this really a final fantasy?

TrollHunter
08-13-2011, 02:44 AM
I personally found it amazing. It has its flaws but it certainly has a valid stay in the FF series in my opinion.

LunaRaven
09-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I think I'm one of those rare cases that absolutely loved the gameplay of this game and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. The gambit system required some strategy, which in turn required thinking(and I love me some thinking). I've never cared for random encounters in games(as one who tends to get motion sickness, I remember having to stop playing FFX for a time because of the constant breaking of the screen and the sudden change in music). I will agree on the treasue chest(eggs?) and bazar complaints. A few hours into the game and I stopped opening those silly eggs.

"You found 1 Gil!"

Bah!