PDA

View Full Version : Can you get LiveJournal pages to appear in Google (read before you judge)?

MJN SEIFER
12-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I am doing a project in LiveJournal - it isn't a Journal on my life, because I tried that, I am doing something related to a book series that I am a fan of.

I keep searching for my pages in Google and they won't appear, is there a way I can make them? Any help will be greatly apreiciated.

Vyk
12-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Add "livejournal.com" to your search parameter? I do that for torrent sites when Google is capable of searching them for what I want better than their own search engines. That way you should only get results from livejournal.com. I just tested it and they do come up on Google that way. For me anyway. I'm using Google Chrome as my browser though. If there's some discrepancy between Google and Livejournal where they won't show up on searches from Google.com then I'm unaware of that issue

Rantz
12-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah, you pretty much just have to search really specifically, because LJ entries are not optimized for search engines at all and will have a very low rank in most search engines because of that and other issues. Of course, your entries also have to be public, ie. visible to anyone, logged in or not, for Google to be able to read them.

rubah
12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
also, livejournal has a option to keep journal entries hidden from spiders.
My Account Settings (http://www.livejournal.com/manage/settings/?cat=privacy)

MJN SEIFER
12-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Add "livejournal.com" to your search parameter?

Does that mean I have to to type "livejournal.com" in my search when I'm using Google? Because I tried typing the name of the book series and "livejournal.com" into Google, and all that did was take me to THIS thread! (probably because the book is mentioned in my sig) searching for "MJN SEIFER" in the same manner also came up zilch. Sorry if this isn't what you meant.

Yeah, you pretty much just have to search really specifically, because LJ entries are not optimized for search engines at all and will have a very low rank in most search engines because of that and other issues. Of course, your entries also have to be public, ie. visible to anyone, logged in or not, for Google to be able to read them.

As far as I can see they are public; my "Default Entry Security" is set to "Eveyone (public)" and all options to "Minimize Search Results" are unchecked. The thing is, it's not a personal journal about me but rather a project I'm doing, so I want it to show up when people search for the subject itself rather than me, or or Live Journal.

I have no idea what spiders are, and I can't see that mentioned anywhere - could point it out to me (Note: I'm on a basic account, because I don't want to risk having to pay for a subcription).

Rantz
12-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Looking at your blog it's still pretty new. It can take a while for Google to index the pages - up to a few weeks or maybe even longer if you're unlucky. It doesn't seem to be indexed yet, in any case.

What Vyk meant was probably that you can add "site:livejournal.com" to your search to only get hits from that domain. If you want to search for several words in the order you put them, put double quotes around them. A good search to locate your blog (when it's indexed) would probably be: site:livejournal.com "your book name"

Vyk
12-31-2010, 02:07 AM
That's keen, like their "define:" parameter. I bet yours works better. But what I do when I want to download old school anime from BakaBT (You have to be a member to search, and being a member requires a good upload ratio, which I can't justify while stealing from the neighbor's internet) I just search "bakabt.com tenchi muyo" or something for example. Get the same general results. But yours is obviously designed for that function while mine just kinda crash lands in the same vicinity lol

o_O
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I have no idea what spiders are, and I can't see that mentioned anywhere - could point it out to me (Note: I'm on a basic account, because I don't want to risk having to pay for a subcription).

Spiders are programs used by search engine companies, which are programmed to crawl throughout the pages on the internet by following links from page to page, and to index what it finds for search results. The idea is that once a spider from Google (for example) accesses your blog, the address and content will be indexed for future searches. :p

MJN SEIFER
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Looking at your blog it's still pretty new. It can take a while for Google to index the pages - up to a few weeks or maybe even longer if you're unlucky. It doesn't seem to be indexed yet, in any case.

What Vyk meant was probably that you can add "site:livejournal.com" to your search to only get hits from that domain. If you want to search for several words in the order you put them, put double quotes around them. A good search to locate your blog (when it's indexed) would probably be: site:livejournal.com "your book name"

Thanks about the first thing, I'll see if anyhthing happens, did you see it? If so thanks. Thanks for explaining the other thing, and I'll see if that helps.

That's keen, like their "define:" parameter. I bet yours works better. But what I do when I want to download old school anime from BakaBT (You have to be a member to search, and being a member requires a good upload ratio, which I can't justify while stealing from the neighbor's internet) I just search "bakabt.com tenchi muyo" or something for example. Get the same general results. But yours is obviously designed for that function while mine just kinda crash lands in the same vicinity lol

Thanks, I'll see what happens.

Spiders are programs used by search engine companies, which are programmed to crawl throughout the pages on the internet by following links from page to page, and to index what it finds for search results. The idea is that once a spider from Google (for example) accesses your blog, the address and content will be indexed for future searches. :p

Thanks. What is the option to alter whether the "spiders" see it or not? I can't see the term spiders on the menu.

rubah
01-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Dude. Learn to guess, or interpret, or intuit. Don't expect everything to be literal.

http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/others/ljsearch.png

Check these three.

MJN SEIFER
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Okay, I've checked the last, one, but left the other two. I think that's right, since I don't one to make it less likley to appear in search which is what "minimise" says to me. Thanks.

MJN SEIFER
01-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I have managed to find one of the pages I wrote for one of the books in Google - Google (http://www.google.co.uk/#q=give+yourself+goosebumps+night+werewolf+woods&hl=en&prmd=ivns&ei=SBMuTej2O8iAhQe-y_j4Ag&start=40&sa=N&fp=fb65bc885a9abf7) Howver, I only found it when I searched for that specific book, so I don't know how easy it is to find when one just searches for the entire series. But it's a start.