PDA

View Full Version : Hold on, new member ranks?

Agent Proto
12-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Alrighty, I think it's time I should put this out, since I think we're still calling some of our established members as "newbies" for too long. According to the Ciddies "rules" of what a newbie is, basically they are a member of EoFF who joined between 2009 and 2010. That's two full years of being called a newbie, and by Ciddies standard, that'll give a member four opportunities to win Best Newbie, which I think should only be won once.

Why should we call a member who have a custom rank a newbie? Aren't newbies members who have recently joined? Shouldn't it be just a year rather than two? For this, I want to introduce a new member rank... the Sophomore. A member who's been around longer than a year who recently gained their custom rank! They're not exactly a Regular, but definitely not a Veteran/Oldbie. So, current Ciddies standard of member rankings go like this.

Newbie, a person who registered between 2009 and 2010.
Regular, a person who registered between 2008 and 2007.
Veteran, a person who registered between 2006 and 1999.

In simpler terms, a Newbie has been a member for less than two years, a Regular's been a member for two to three years, and a Veteran's been a member for longer than three years. What I want to do is add the Sophomore in between the Newbie and Regular, so it should appear something like this.

Newbie, a person who registered in 2010.
Sophomore, a person who registered between 2009 and 2008.
Regular, a person who registered between 2007 and 2006.
Veteran, a person who registered between 2005 and 1999.

So... how about it? Should we introduce this new rank of sophomores, so that members, like Clo and Rebellious Eagle, do not have to identify themselves as a "newbie" despite being around long enough to own custom ranks?

Shlup
12-29-2010, 11:37 PM
No. Anyone who registered after 2000 is a newbie, end of story.

Agent Proto
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I also expect to hear from Raistlin. :greenie:

Psychotic
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
No. Anyone who registered after 2000 is a newbie, end of story.You can take the girl out of Raistlin...

edit: I said it better. :colbert:

Also, no. It's hard enough thinking of people to nominate for those three categories without adding a fourth!

Rantz
12-30-2010, 12:00 AM
An easier solution would be to call them things like cucumber, beet and old potato instead.

Remon
12-30-2010, 12:11 AM
-.-

Agent Proto
12-30-2010, 12:13 AM
So maybe we should do away with the whole thing and go with Shlup's idea? That'll remove the Best Regular category!

Psychotic
12-30-2010, 12:23 AM
So maybe we should... go with Shlup's idea?I never ever want to read these words written in a serious manner on this forum again.

Agent Proto
12-30-2010, 12:26 AM
So maybe we should... go with Shlup's idea?I never ever want to read these words written in a serious manner on this forum again.

Oops, I forgot to add this: :roll2

Jessweeee♪
12-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Ten years is ridiculously old for a message board. I've been here for half of that and I still feel like a newbie sometimes! Who the hell is this Shoden guy we just unbanned?

Levian
12-30-2010, 01:32 AM
The reason why we changed the time frames last time was because 90% of the forum ended up in the veteran category. If we want to shorten the newbie period again, without adding a new Sophomore category, then the only thing we can do to not completely revert back to Ciddies anno 2006 is to expand the Regular category.

For instance:

Veteran: Before 2007.
Regular: Jan 1st 2007 - Dec 31st 2009
Newbie: Registered in 2010

Then again, most of us registered before 2007 anyway.

Madonna
12-30-2010, 01:56 AM
Member Tiers Newbie
Blooded
Experienced
Veteran
Antique
Artifact
Fossil

All of this sounds like a bunch of seniors trying to re-define their group and pretend the exact number of wrinkles/strokes/hip replacements actually matter. Whatever your case, you are all probably ancient by any standard.

Old Manus
12-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Assign newbie, regular and veteran randomly to one of the following three categories:

hufen ia
sglodion
pwll nofio

This way, nobody knows who is what and you can be free to be elitist to anybody who you suspect doesn't have the ed's technicolour nightmare thread somewhere on their computer.

Yar
12-30-2010, 02:36 AM
How about you base it on number of posts rather than the time between registering and now?

Some people have been registered for years but have never posted at all.

Jessweeee♪
12-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Let's just make the regular category bigger. No one can ever think of who to vote there. It's so bad that Award Cerberus hasn't bothered disqualifying Guardian XIII for being a veteran!

Vyk
12-30-2010, 05:53 AM
This is why I don't vote in the ciddies :P Popularity contest shmopularity contest

Loony BoB
12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't think we should expand Best Regular to include older members because the whole point of having that Best Regular area is that it isn't supposed to have really hugely established members in it.

As for shortening the "Best Newbie" area, it all comes down to how easy you want it to be for people to nominate others for awards. We have two sets of Ciddies per year, and that means that at least for the mid-year awards, unless you want to say "between July 2007 and June 2011" next time, making it 12 months is a right pain. I find it much easier to do it by calendar year because it makes it a lot easier for people to understand and find people who are in a set range.

For me, the end of year newbies could be for the past year or the past two years. I just know that for mid-years, I tend to make it for the past year and a half because it's easier that way. Some newbies register at the end of the previous year after the Ciddies have already been and gone, so I want to ensure that I am able to capture those members in the next Ciddies without making it confusing, so I just put both calendar-years for that reasoning alone.

As for nobody being able to figure out who to vote for - that's not the fault of the award range, that's just a reflection of either the person who is voting or the people who registered in that timeframe that are still active. You can't extend the grouping just so you can fit in Mr. & Mrs. Popular.

blackmage_nuke
12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Its hard to imagine people joining in 2010 think of me the same way I thought of people who joined in 2000

Elskidor
12-30-2010, 03:36 PM
How about you base it on number of posts rather than the time between registering and now?

Some people have been registered for years but have never posted at all.

That's what we do on another board I'm a member of. Our "Ancient" is the oldest active member but has posted less than 300 times in 11 years. It works through post designation titles, but some are probably active daily readers but seldom posters.

Peegee
12-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think we should expand Best Regular to include older members because the whole point of having that Best Regular area is that it isn't supposed to have really hugely established members in it.

As for shortening the "Best Newbie" area, it all comes down to how easy you want it to be for people to nominate others for awards. We have two sets of Ciddies per year, and that means that at least for the mid-year awards, unless you want to say "between July 2007 and June 2011" next time, making it 12 months is a right pain. I find it much easier to do it by calendar year because it makes it a lot easier for people to understand and find people who are in a set range.

For me, the end of year newbies could be for the past year or the past two years. I just know that for mid-years, I tend to make it for the past year and a half because it's easier that way. Some newbies register at the end of the previous year after the Ciddies have already been and gone, so I want to ensure that I am able to capture those members in the next Ciddies without making it confusing, so I just put both calendar-years for that reasoning alone.

As for nobody being able to figure out who to vote for - that's not the fault of the award range, that's just a reflection of either the person who is voting or the people who registered in that timeframe that are still active. You can't extend the grouping just so you can fit in Mr. & Mrs. Popular.

Do you remember when Something Awful caught wind of us and made fun of you for being a 5 year old 'newbie' or something?

Everybody's a newbie here.

NorthernChaosGod
12-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Do you remember when Something Awful caught wind of us and made fun of you for being a 5 year old 'newbie' or something?

Everybody's a newbie here.
When did that happen?! :eek:

Old Manus
12-30-2010, 11:02 PM
In hindsight, it's probably better that they named and shamed us then instead of now

Jessweeee♪
12-31-2010, 12:45 AM
It wouldn't be as funny now. We don't have any CLAIM ANIME BISHIE threads in The Lounge!