PDA

View Full Version : Zell and Rinoa: a split of Tifa?

SuperMillionaire
12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
After a while of researching and playing Final Fantasy games, I've began to realize that Zell and Rinoa from VIII may in fact be a split of Tifa from VII; Zell got Tifa's fighting style, while Rinoa got her appearance and kind personality. Has anyone else noticed this?

Loony BoB
12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
You could probably say the same for most later characters. Almost any character out there will have a general personality that could be called similar to a previous character, and likewise a fighting style of another previous character. The latter being particularly easy.

I will say however that personality-wise, Rinoa is much more outgoing than Tifa ever was. Not quite to the whore-level of Aeris, but definitely an in-your-face kind of girl.

Jessweeee♪
12-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I think the only thing Tifa and Rinoa have in common is the color of their hair :p

As for Zell, I just think of him as a parody of manga heroes. Sure he uses his fists just like Tifa, but how many characters use swords?

Roogle
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
I do not think Rinoa and Tifa have similar personalities. They share some similarities because of their close affiliations with the main character of each story, but I think that they have different personalities. I think that if we were to imprint Tifa over Rinoa in Final Fantasy VIII, for example, then we would have a much different story as Tifa has proven herself more mature and dedicated than Rinoa even in their introductions.

SuperMillionaire
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Perhaps Zell may also possess Tifa's sense of humor... except perhaps a bit more "amplified," maybe?

ChickenHeart
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Rinoa and Tifa look slightly alike, but not by alot. Their personalities are also different. Tifa is a strong, tough character! Rinoa isn't.
As for zell and Tifa...well they are both monks, but that's it.

BG-57
01-08-2011, 01:42 AM
As far as monks go, Zell has more in common with Sabin than Tifa. Both are cheerful bruiser types while Tifa has the physicality but not the personality. She's much more reserved and demure than either of them.

Rinoa has very little of Tifa's personality: she's much more impulsive and flighty. I'm guessing the intent is that she matures and grows as the game progresses, so she has to start out flawed and fallible.

Roto13
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
The only thing Tifa has in common with either of them is punching and black hair, and Tifa didn't even have black hair when FF VIII came out.

SuperMillionaire
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
It's been a little while, but since this thread is still near the top of the list, I decided to post here again with a new question:

Why did the game developers decide to make Zell's fighting style so similar to that of Tifa instead of making something different, anyway?

BG-57
02-27-2011, 12:13 AM
My guess is its to give some continuity and familiarity between games that obstensibly take place in different continuities. It's the same reason the sword carried by the FFVIII Ultima WEAPON is identical to Cloud's Ultima Weapon: it's a shout out to fans that wouldn't affect the story if it goes unrecognized.

The monk profession is well established in the game series, so its natural to include it.

Wolf Kanno
02-27-2011, 05:10 AM
I would argue that Zell has more in common mechanically with Sabin than Tifa. Since Sabin was the first monk class to use an input command set-up to utilize the monk move set.

About the only think Zell took were two moves but even Tifa and Zell himself take Meteor Strike from Sabin. It's just the normal evolution of a class over the years.

Loony BoB
02-27-2011, 08:52 AM
As for why they kept doing it: Because it was one of the better limit breaks. :) Interactivity is almost always a good thing.

cloud_doll
02-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I think Rinoa is more openly feminine than Tifa. Rinoa played somewhat of a damsel in distress. Honestly I think she more closely related to Aeris. Both of them could take care of themselves easily, but would flirt with unsuspecting depressed young men by pretending they needed protection and saving. Even Tifa, who wanted Cloud to rescue her, did not need it at all. And she didn't try to pretend she did!

SuperMillionaire
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
If they remake Final Fantasy VIII, I want Zell's fighting style to be entirely redone.

kotora
03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
ok so now anyone who punches people is a monk?

Loony BoB
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Duh. Monks are amongst the most violent people in the world.

SuperMillionaire
03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Some monks are more violent than others, though.

Vyk
03-09-2011, 05:18 AM
They're all copying off of Bl.Belt

SuperMillionaire
03-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Who's Bl-Belt?

BG-57
03-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Black Belt. It's a character class that dates from the original games.

SuperMillionaire
03-13-2011, 05:26 AM
Oh, from the first game? Okay.

Vyk
03-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Yeah. I suppose I should have just said Black Belt. But everyone refers to him as Bl.Belt because that's how it is in the game. Its basically his name. And it just felt weird typing it the other way in reference to him lol Sorry

SuperMillionaire
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh okay. Back to the main point: if and when they remake Final Fantasy VIII, I want Zell's fighting style to be entirely redone, without any of Tifa's influences.

WhiteStorm
04-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I think AC Tifa looks like Rinoa, not the other way around. And the only thing the original Tifa and Rinoa have in common is hair color.

Karifean
04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Oh okay. Back to the main point: if and when they remake Final Fantasy VIII, I want Zell's fighting style to be entirely redone, without any of Tifa's influences.

That would conflict with Zell's way of recovering the weapons in the D District Prison. Zell is just made to use his fists.

SuperMillionaire
04-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, just give him entirely new moves, and a brand new limit break.