PDA

View Full Version : Your view on life?

Caboose
12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Mine is mathematics and science.
No belief in any deities and I depend on facts for everything.
And I love it. Thats why I am a forensic scientist. Facts reveal truth.
So what about you guys?

Clo
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Life sucks, get me some whiskey.

Caboose
12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Life sucks, get me some whiskey.
For me too. Make that 2 bottles. And pint glasses!

Shattered Dreamer
12-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Mine would be believe in a god/higher power/afterlife
Being happy is more important than being successful
And of course I live for nothing but to chase my dreams with almost blind tunnel vision

But then again Caboose you already knew that ;)

Bunny
12-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I believe that the Earth, and every thing in the vast emptiness that is space, was created by a magical deity who is far greater than any one person can even begin to comprehend.

I also believe that pie is the spice of life and should be savored whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Caboose
12-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Mine would be believe in a god/higher power/afterlife
Being happy is more important than being successful
And of course I live for nothing but to chase my dreams with almost blind tunnel vision

But then again Caboose you already knew that ;)

I suppose you would. And you would know, power is my ultimate end. But you should know that! :)

Shlup
12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Life's motto: It is what it is.

If you enjoy wasting time, is it really wasted?

I believe that, whether life came about randomly or by the hand of some magical being, it makes no difference in life. The Egg (http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html) by Andy Weir lays out my favorite view of "God."

I love biology, especially bio psychology.

Baking is therapy.

Caboose
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Baking is therapy.

Can I have a cake?

Madame Adequate
12-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Life is cruel. Not because of pain or loss or any of those typical reasons - life is cruel because this universe is so unutterably vast, and so many people will see so very little of it. Even if nothing new was made after today, there'd be so much more in the world than you could ever experience in a normal lifetime.

Of course, I'm a Singularitarian, so I'm optimistic that my life is going to be a hell of a lot longer than one puny century :D

Caboose
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Of course, I'm a Singularitarian, so I'm optimistic that my life is going to be a hell of a lot longer than one puny century :D

So cryogenics are right up your street?! ;)

Crop
12-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Life is hitting up Vegas with a cigar in one hand, a drink in the other and a floozy under your arm. All the while with Dean Martins "aint that a kick in the head" playing.

Shlup
12-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Baking is therapy.

Can I have a cake?

Pick it up and give me $40. You'll have to make an appointment with Raistlin first though.

Shiny
12-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Life is what you make it.

NorthernChaosGod
12-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Baking is therapy.

Can I have a cake?

Pick it up and give me $40. You'll have to make an appointment with Raistlin first though.

This is a funny sound cake.

Caboose
12-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Baking is therapy.

Can I have a cake?

This is a funny sound cake.

And I need it. I order 1,000 cakes! I will die in Diabetic Heaven!!!!!!!!

Peegee
12-30-2010, 10:35 PM

I like these types of views.

Essentially a great deal of my life is resentment that I'm even alive. I know that this is typically a view that is looked down upon, but as far as I am concerned those arguments amount to 'you should be thankful to be alive, and by proxy you should be thankful to your mother because she got pregnant and carried you to term'.

The consequence of the above train of thought is that I'm terribly and utterly meritocratic. I don't care about age, sex, creed, race, religion, or even stereotypes and prejudices as long as your end result is beneficial to myself or earns my respect. Personally I'm very easy going and uncaring about what happens to me, whether good or bad - I do pursue ends and means because of boredom, but the consequences or achievements of those ends are inconsequential to me in time.

I think in person a lot of people like me but find my behaviour or antics or values abnormal, to put it lightly. I don't know what to think of that - if I change it, it would be idiotic. if I don't change it, it would be rebellious. I can't win. So I don't expect anybody (anybody) to change their life even if I disagree.

Caboose
12-30-2010, 10:49 PM

I like these types of views.

Essentially a great deal of my life is resentment that I'm even alive. I know that this is typically a view that is looked down upon, but as far as I am concerned those arguments amount to 'you should be thankful to be alive, and by proxy you should be thankful to your mother because she got pregnant and carried you to term'.

The consequence of the above train of thought is that I'm terribly and utterly meritocratic. I don't care about age, sex, creed, race, religion, or even stereotypes and prejudices as long as your end result is beneficial to myself or earns my respect. Personally I'm very easy going and uncaring about what happens to me, whether good or bad - I do pursue ends and means because of boredom, but the consequences or achievements of those ends are inconsequential to me in time.

I think in person a lot of people like me but find my behaviour or antics or values abnormal, to put it lightly. I don't know what to think of that - if I change it, it would be idiotic. if I don't change it, it would be rebellious. I can't win. So I don't expect anybody (anybody) to change their life even if I disagree.

Props on your life view. I may disagree but I recommend that each person find what works for them. I am curious though, you said that your "antics or values" were/are abnormal. Did you get some "crap" over it in high school/secondary school because I definatley did!

Shattered Dreamer
12-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Props on your life view. I may disagree but I recommend that each person find what works for them. I am curious though, you said that your "antics or values" were/are abnormal. Did you get some "crap" over it in high school/secondary school because I definatley did!

What you talkin bout Willis? I still give you crap over it :bigsmile:

Meat Puppet
12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
A series of complex chemical reaction

Caboose
12-30-2010, 11:01 PM

Coming from the dude who watches the same :bou::bou::bou::bou: and does the same :bou::bou::bou::bou: as me! I do believe you are less into givin me crap and saying "D'IMON"! :)

Shattered Dreamer
12-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Coming from the dude who watches the same :bou::bou::bou::bou: and does the same :bou::bou::bou::bou: as me! I do believe you are less into givin me crap and saying "D'IMON"! :)

The important thing is I'm learning from my mistakes :bigsmile:

I am consistant

Madame Adequate
12-30-2010, 11:13 PM

If it's necessary to bridge the gap, but I'm hoping for genetic therapy, cloning, nanotechnology, and cybernetics to greatly extend our lifespans.

Peegee
12-30-2010, 11:15 PM

If it's necessary to bridge the gap, but I'm hoping for genetic therapy, cloning, nanotechnology, and cybernetics to greatly extend our lifespans.

How are you going to solve heat death, you jerk.

You're just extending human misery

Caboose
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM

Your predication of "heat death" depends on the second law of thermodynamics which state that entropy will increase over time within a closed system. Since the universe is infinite it can only be stated to be an enclosed system once expansion has ceased. So as long as expansion continues, the second law will not come into effect. Also, please stop trawling for conflict in these threads and don't be rude to other users.

Peegee
12-30-2010, 11:25 PM

Your predication of "heat death" depends on the second law of thermodynamics which state that entropy will increase over time within a closed system. Since the universe is infinite it can only be stated to be an enclosed system once expansion has ceased. So as long as expansion continues, the second law will not come into effect. Also, please stop trawling for conflict in these threads and don't be rude to other users.
Fine since I'm trawling might as well make it a proper one:
Hey class: Being asian means never having to hear...

Bunny
12-30-2010, 11:29 PM
You try way too hard to be annoying.

Caboose

Fine since I'm trawling might as well make it a proper one:
Hey class: Being asian means never having to hear...

I said you were trawling because you are in 3 threads being argumentative. No offense was meant. Also I owned you with science knowledge! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Peegee

not really if you looked at my post count , milf on average posts more than I do and he's like 5 times the man I am.

Old Manus
12-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Fuck trees, get bitches, smoke money

or thereabouts

Caboose
12-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Fuck trees, get bitches, smoke money

or thereabouts
Can I share this with you?

Shattered Dreamer
12-30-2010, 11:35 PM

Don't poke at him he'll only come back at TEN FOLD lol

Also Peegee you got scienced :bigsmile:

Caboose
12-30-2010, 11:36 PM

Don't poke at him he'll only come back at TEN FOLD lol

Also Peegee you got scienced :bigsmile:

Doesn't everyone when I'm involved?! :)

Elskidor
12-30-2010, 11:54 PM
If I think on life too hard it either makes me laugh or just feel stupid. I think gods are created to give some people a meaning for this weird thing we are all born into, but I think it's a lame excuse. Who knows what the hell all this is, but yeah..whatever. Live and let live or die or whatever you have to to get through it, and maybe after it's over there is something that will let us look back on it all and we'll finally find out what the point of it all was. Or maybe we'll just die and never understand squat.

Madame Adequate
12-30-2010, 11:58 PM

I don't know, that's sort of the point of the Singularity - we build things smarter than we are. When we have a single mind the size of a planet built as efficiently as is physically possible, we'll see what we can do about entropy.

Shlup
12-31-2010, 12:09 AM

And, thus, PG is summed up in eight words.

Caboose
12-31-2010, 12:36 AM

And, thus, PG is summed up in eight words.

Could we somehow lock that phrase to PG forever?

Shlup
12-31-2010, 12:41 AM
That post should be quoted in every thread he makes from now until three days after his death. Make it so!

Caboose
12-31-2010, 12:44 AM
That post should be quoted in every thread he makes from now until three days after his death. Make it so!

You're the administrator. Make it so!

Shlup
12-31-2010, 12:51 AM
I am making it so by ordering my inferiors to carry out my wishes. Now get to it!

Caboose
12-31-2010, 12:59 AM
I am making it so by ordering my inferiors to carry out my wishes. Now get to it!

Inferiors! INFERIORS! I bow to no man/woman/hermaphrodite!

Shlup
12-31-2010, 01:04 AM
You think you don't have to because I, in my benevolence, don't often rub in my superiority. You're welcome.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
To me, life simply is. There is no great question to be answered about why we're here. We are. I'll take the time I have to bond with my family and a few close friends. If I'm lucky, I'll find that someone I feel truly connected to. We'll raise a family of our own, and I'll die a happy grandfather.

To me at least, life is less about what you spent your time doing, and more who you spent your time with.

Caboose
12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
You think you don't have to because I, in my benevolence, don't often rub in my superiority. You're welcome.

Superiority is subjective. Thus you can only claim it if it is bestowed on you by another. And I certainly will not!

Peegee
12-31-2010, 04:29 PM

For somebody who hates my guts you sure do love me. It must be because I visited you all the way from Canada that one time and gave you money.

Now you can never ban me because you owe me. Bwahahah burp

on topic: I guess if you want to call me a try-hard I won't mind, but I'm not really trying to be annoying; it's just so easy.

If I were trying I'd be banned the same hour.

Aerith's Knight
12-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Finish university, get my degrees, make plenty of money doing research to support a wife, with which whom I will make a few kids, then proceed to work and raise the kids for many years, until I retire, after which I will move to a house near the ocean and amuse myself for a few years until I die, after which I hope to god that eternity doesn't screw me over.

And of course boobs.

Peegee
12-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Finish university, get my degrees, make plenty of money doing research to support a wife, with which whom I will make a few kids, then proceed to work and raise the kids for many years, until I retire, after which I will move to a house near the ocean and amuse myself for a few years until I die, after which I hope to god that eternity doesn't screw me over.

And of course boobs.

lol god
can I be your live-at-your-home poolboy?

LunarWeaver
01-01-2011, 01:02 AM
I was going to copy/paste something from Wikipedia that made me look smart, but I decided it wasn't worth it. I think my answer can be found in that, somehow.

EMX
01-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Come on, nobody depends on facts for everything. They'd have a severe problem in being able to conduct relationships if they depended on facts for everything and they'd also have huge problems in other forms of interaction, particularly with the big, bad world.

I'm neither here nor there as regards science versus god. I'm not a believer that you have to subscribe to the newsletters of one or the other, either. Do I have faith in things? Some things, but not the big man in the sky. I have what I hope are some logical theories on what may or may not exist, and some of those relate to god, but even then I do not necessarily attribute much belief to them - they are simply theories, and ones that I require in order to enjoy life.

Conjecture, questions posed and then attempts made to answer them, are what makes life interesting. In fact, that is the deepest essence of science when you think about it; theories made into questions which are themselves answered. Yet much of science never gets beyond theory, though some still would worship a theory as if it was fact and then make the point that their life is dependent on facts. Facts that they would never have been intelligent enough to discover for themselves, facts that they are often not intelligent enough to PROVE for themselves.

You see, we all of us have faith in something. For some of us it is a science textbook. Plain fact is that we are mostly too stupid to think for ourselves and have to have faith that what we are being told is the truth. Therefore I don't see the point in having a little faith in that which lingers around the edges; pseudo-sciences, fictional realities, things that may exist but probably don't.

My view on life is that we should be open-minded, though not at the expense of living within the reality that we are faced with. Thankfully for me, much of reality is very simple. Wake up, eat, move, eat, move, eat, move, sleep.

It's never all that complex so it doesn't really matter what I think. I wish I could break the universe down into such simple sentences.

Zeldy
01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Life is whatever you make it. Expecting too much just leaves you disappointed, but at the same time a bit of optimism is a good thing. Personally, I think life is great :jess:

capricious
01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Life is tedious and mundane, but you can make it interesting and exciting. :D

escobert
01-06-2011, 03:54 AM
"Life ain't a bitch, life is life and I hate it."

blackmage_nuke
01-06-2011, 07:03 AM
So what about you guys?

I am almost the same except I take it to extremes. I will not believe OR disbelive anything until I have first hand experience it is true. While I will accept certain explanations for things if they fit my observations and there are no other explanations that fit my observations (world being round, earth revolving around the sun, PG being azn) I will not accept them as absolute truth until I am able to prove it with my own eyes. Unfortunately this makes me a Holocaust denier never having seen the bodies or mass graves I can not take the third hand account of world war II or infact any historical event any more seriously than I would take the third hand account of Jesus being the son of God. However I am open to both of these possibilities being true.

Christmas
01-06-2011, 12:08 PM
A journey filled with challenges to overcome! :bigsmile:

Fatal Impurity
01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Life is ruled by two things:

Survival and Replication.

All things are both psychologically and biologically secondary to these two goals.

Our lives are dicated by social dynamics that establish our success in these two areas...some people fool themselves into thinking they are working towards some grander goal but ultimately it only ever comes down to two things - Staying alive (either literally or in memory) and getting laid (either literally or in legacy).

black orb
01-07-2011, 07:12 PM
>>> Human life sucks.. The other forms of life are awesome.

Thats my view on it..:luca:

Peegee
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
So what about you guys?

I am almost the same except I take it to extremes. I will not believe OR disbelive anything until I have first hand experience it is true. While I will accept certain explanations for things if they fit my observations and there are no other explanations that fit my observations (world being round, earth revolving around the sun, PG being azn) I will not accept them as absolute truth until I am able to prove it with my own eyes. Unfortunately this makes me a Holocaust denier never having seen the bodies or mass graves I can not take the third hand account of world war II or infact any historical event any more seriously than I would take the third hand account of Jesus being the son of God. However I am open to both of these possibilities being true.

In terms of events in the past like the holocaust, can't you just prove it by pointing out all of the (still living) survivors of those events?

And you haven't proved my asianity - I could just be austistic

Mirage
01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I believe in things with reasonable amounts of empiric evidence behind them, and generally just live in the moment.

blackmage_nuke
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
So what about you guys?

In terms of events in the past like the holocaust, can't you just prove it by pointing out all of the (still living) survivors of those events?

How do I know theyre not lying? If I ever met a survivor then I guess second hand evidence is good but I can still be open to the possibility it's all fake.

Madame Adequate
01-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Well, philosophically speaking, yes, no sapient being can be certain of anything except its own existence. I know I exist, because the self cannot be tricked into existence, but I don't know that anyone else does, or that things occurred as the history books say, or that anything at all exists outside myself.

Still, there are things we can say we 'know' well enough to get by. The world I live in is the world I live in - it is internally coherent, has observable laws, empirical study works, and it remains consistent from day to day. Either it is real, or rather real enough, or the fiction is so thoroughgoing and well-made that I cannot hope to expose it. Either way, the best option is to life as if it is real - though always keeping half an eye out for a reason to think otherwise.

fire_of_avalon
01-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Life is, for me apparently, watching everyone I've ever known achieve everything I've ever wanted while I stagnate like pond scum.

Tai-Ti
01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm a Christian, and believe there are too many amazing and things that only a God could have created :) I also believe that science supports the bible quite nicely, you'd be surprised!
I live life in quite a corney manner: I treat people how I expect to be treated, I forgive and love everyone and I live each day thankful for what I have! (All this post needs is a rainbow).
think everything can be explained, but not everything needs to be.

Dreddz
01-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Do whatever makes you feel happy. If that means pissing it all away on video games then so be it.

spirit
01-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't know.:p

Tai-Ti
01-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Do whatever makes you feel happy. If that means pissing it all away on video games then so be it.

touché good sir :)

kotora
01-09-2011, 12:21 AM

except it doesn't really work that way of course

Shoden
01-09-2011, 01:26 AM
My view is that individuality, passion and freedom to be who you want to be should be held high.
Also that the hardships suck and should all be easy noobmode challenges which take minimal effort to get through because then things would be fun! woo!

Elskidor
01-09-2011, 02:29 PM

It can actually. I have a friend that has never done anything except play games. He worked a real job for a short time, but hated it and slit his wrists. He didn't die, and now gets disability pay for being crazy. At 25 he's still just sitting around playing games and drinking beer and popping crazy pills and getting good pay for his elaborated scheme.

Madame Adequate
01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure I would call attempted suicide an elaborate scheme.

Old Manus
01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I lol'd at slitting your wrists for not enjoying your job

GODDAMMIT MOM I ASKED FOR TWO SUGARS, NOW I'M GOING TO STAB MYSELF IN THE THROAT WITH THE TEASPOON

Elskidor
01-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Well it was not really an attempted suicide. I was with him that night and he called the cops. I came into the room where he was scraping his wrists and he said he was trying to make it look believable enough to go to an institution. We stole the blade from him, but the cops showed up with an ambulance within minutes.

NorthernChaosGod
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Well it was not really an attempted suicide. I was with him that night and he called the cops. I came into the room where he was scraping his wrists and he said he was trying to make it look believable enough to go to an institution. We stole the blade from him, but the cops showed up with an ambulance within minutes.

You must have some :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty doctors in that town.

Tai-Ti
01-10-2011, 03:18 AM

It can actually. I have a friend that has never done anything except play games. He worked a real job for a short time, but hated it and slit his wrists. He didn't die, and now gets disability pay for being crazy. At 25 he's still just sitting around playing games and drinking beer and popping crazy pills and getting good pay for his elaborated scheme.

raping the government for money, noble ambitions.

Iceglow
01-10-2011, 04:48 AM
I rely mainly upon myself. I'm not religious and don't entertain the thought of having to rely upon a god or gods to see me through. I do however have a belief that there is such a thing as destiny and fate though not in the same sense as some. I believe if you're destined to do something, be it cure cancer or start world war 3 it will happen. However how you do it is up to fate. You might not be able to change your destiny but you can shape your fate.

Pheesh
01-10-2011, 11:28 AM
"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

kotora
01-10-2011, 01:04 PM
"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

lol agent smith was such a tool

Pheesh
01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Agent Smith owns your face. Even when he's dressed in drag and riding on top of a bus Hugo is cooler than you, buddy.

kotora
01-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I guess whiny bitch teenager philosophy has its appeal to some people. Also I'm not your buddy, pal.

Pheesh
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Go join the army already. :colbert:

kotora
01-10-2011, 01:56 PM
If I could have I would have. How's construction work going?

Pheesh
01-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I think I'd join the army if they'd promise we got to fight the dutch.