PDA

View Full Version : Do you like any movies that are generally considered to be "bad" movies?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-10-2011, 06:02 AM
The Punisher movies, (the 1989 version, the 2004 version, and WarZone) haven't fared too well with the critics or the masses but I'll always have a soft-spot for The Punisher (2004) because it was the first Punisher film I ever saw in the theater. And at the time that I saw it, I thought Punisher '04 was an okay action movie with a retarded supporting cast.

Garland
01-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Many. I watch movies to have fun, rather than to praise them on their technical qualities. Many critically panned popcorn flicks are movies I enjoyed. The Mummy and The Mummy Returns come to mind. I like Godzilla movies and all Japanese monster-costume movies of the sort. I like most all of the sword epics that were popular after Gladiator, including Gladiator. A particularly panned movie of the sort that I enjoy is King Arthur. I enjoy all four of the canon Alien movies - even 3 and Resurrection, though for this thread, only 3 and Resurrection count. The first two are touted as groundbreaking. I like Freddy vs Jason. There are more, but I'm getting tired. Just think of a cool but empty action flick and I like it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Many. I watch movies to have fun, rather than to praise them on their technical qualities. Many critically panned popcorn flicks are movies I enjoyed. The Mummy and The Mummy Returns come to mind. I like Godzilla movies and all Japanese monster-costume movies of the sort. I like most all of the sword epics that were popular after Gladiator, including Gladiator. A particularly panned movie of the sort that I enjoy is King Arthur. I enjoy all four of the canon Alien movies - even 3 and Resurrection, though for this thread, only 3 and Resurrection count. The first two are touted as groundbreaking. I like Freddy vs Jason. There are more, but I'm getting tired. Just think of a cool but empty action flick and I like it.

I don't suppose you like any of The Punisher movies, do you?

blackmage_nuke
01-10-2011, 07:45 AM
I liked pirates of the caribean 3, everyone said it was boring though

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns come to mind
I dont know one person who doesnt love those movies.

Seraphic
01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
I am the master at liking bad movies.
They usually end up being great entertainment even if it's in an ironic way.
One movie I really liked but was critically panned in recent memory was Jennifer's Body. So underrated.

Wolf Kanno
01-10-2011, 08:43 AM
The Last Airbender is one of the more recent ones I remember but I was surprised they stayed accurate to some of the key plot elements. Sure the casting was awful and the plot jumps around the first season but you try to make a 26 episode series fit into an hour and a half. I'm not saying the film was great but it was far from being the terrible disaster that fans made it out to be.

American Sweethearts - I am a sucker for John Cusack and will suffer through some of his terrible films but frankly,m this is not one of them. This movie is hilarious and does a great poking humor at Hollywood and the media but too many people got caught up in the film being a romance story (when it was more of an after thought) and on Julia Roberts playing a supporting role (which she really doesn't... ) so I remember this film getting nailed pretty bad in the past and it's a pain in the ass to convince friends to watch it with me cause they think it's a chick flick...

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Yes it was not the film we wanted but once you take the FF title out of it and just accept it as a sci-fi flick, it's a pretty darn good movie. Maybe not the greatest sci-fi film ever told but seriously, I felt the movie was fun and had some cool concepts in it.

I'll think of more later...

Freya
01-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I like a lot of bad movies unless it's a bad movie that everyone knows is bad, the acting is bad, the music is annoying etc but it takes itself serious and somehow makes sequels.

I LIKE

Eragon - I actually thought the movie was pretty good. Yeah it left out a lot butt he book was really slow anyway.

SW: Ep 1 - I LIKED JAR-JAR OKAY :mad2:

Jiro
01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Most things I watch are "bad" but whatever I'm not toting myself as a movie guru. I watched The Last Airbender today, it was pretty cool. Adaptations of anime/video games I generally enjoy for the familiarity even if they butcher the original.

Chris
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
There are many, many movies that I love, but considered "bad" by a lot of people. Movie critics panned two of my absolutely favorite movies ("Hook" and "Jumanji"), yet, I find them both to be exceptional movies.

Pointless debate, whether or not a movie can be considered "bad".

Pheesh
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions are two of my favourite movies, despite everyone else in the world seemingly hating them.

kotora
01-10-2011, 02:01 PM
I like Star Wars episode 1 more than I like its two sequels.

But in general I'm more about hating movies that the masses like.

Levian
01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm a bit of a sequel whore. Nobody likes sequels.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Well, yeah except for the fact that people loved Superman II, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, The Dark Knight, The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Goldfinger, Terminator 2, The Godfather Part 2 and Return of the Jedi but yeah you're absolutely right. I mean I like Batman Returns but sometimes I think...No, I feel like I'm the only person who actually enjoys that movie for it's tongue-and-cheek value.

Dreddz
01-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh, plenty. Alien 3, Hostel, Dune, Halloween III, Robocop II, Judge Dredd, Karate Kid Part 3, Teenage Mutant Nina Turles II (GO NINJA GO NINJA GO) and nearly every Rocky and Rambo sequel ever made. I could list a whole lot more if I really gave it some thought.

I mean I like Batman Returns but sometimes I think...No, I feel like I'm the only person who actually enjoys that movie for it's tongue-and-cheek value.

Batman Returns is brilliant but I wouldn't say there is anything tongue in cheek about it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-10-2011, 06:32 PM
I mean I like Batman Returns but sometimes I think...No, I feel like I'm the only person who actually enjoys that movie for it's tongue-and-cheek value.

Batman Returns is brilliant but I wouldn't say there is anything tongue in cheek about it.

I believe X-Play once had an article saying that the Tim Burton Batman films were tongue-in-cheek but now I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Bunny
01-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Well, yeah except for the fact that people loved Superman II, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, The Dark Knight, The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Goldfinger, Terminator 2, The Godfather Part 2 and Return of the Jedi but yeah you're absolutely right. I mean I like Batman Returns but sometimes I think...No, I feel like I'm the only person who actually enjoys that movie for it's tongue-and-cheek value.

Now go a list of the sequels that are generally considered utter wastes of time. Guess which one will be longer.

I enjoy bad movies on purpose. Though some movies are far too painful to watch.

Laddy
01-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm a cinema snob, so not really.

Though I love The Room.

Freya
01-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I tend to like Rom coms =x

Rocket Edge
01-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Freddy got Fingered comes to mind, but there are many others.

Kossage
01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Oliver Stone's Alexander. I was flabbergasted how a lot of people totally misunderstood the point of the film. It depicts the bittersweet life of Alexander the man, not just the warrior king which he came to be known as. Despite some hammy moments, it's a well-crafted film with great music and cinematography. My only big problem with it was that it didn't show the iconic Gordian knot scene.

Shlup
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I like a handful of "bad" movies. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are some of the Disney straight-to-DVD sequels. Specifically Cinderella 3, The Little Mermaid 3, Mulan 2, and Lion King 1/2.

Del Murder
01-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Starship Troopers.

Vyk
01-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I'd say Independence Day, but it seems like only critical viewers dislike that movie. Apparently the average Joe tends to like it. Though I am saddened that there is supposedly going to be sequels. I liked The Ring movies. Despite all the otakus crying foul. I love lots of cheesey 80s flicks. But as admittedly bad as they are, I don't know a lot of people outright hate your general 80s movie. So I'm not sure I can consider them that kind of bad. Because everyone loves things like The Princess Bride, Labyrinth, Adventures in Babysitting, the typical John Hughes flicks, and the like

Also Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie film ever. And a lot of zombie traditionalists hate that and any other movie with "running" zombies. Its not realistic I guess. 'Cause walking dead people is so reality. Its supernatural no matter how you slice it. And a zombie that's running at me and screaming is way more scary than one loping along and moaning

Shattered Dreamer
01-11-2011, 01:03 AM
How To Lose Friends & Alienate People one of my favorite films and I know maybe 1 or 2 other people that like it!

Shiny
01-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Leprechaun 2: In da Hood. It's so horrible, but I love it. The Room, Trolls 2, and River's Edge as well. Horrible movies that I love.

Jessweeee♪
01-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Kung Pow is like one of my favorite movies ever.

Shiny
01-11-2011, 04:08 AM
Oh yeah, and Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. I've been eagerly awaiting the sequel that's probably never going to happen.

Clo
01-11-2011, 05:09 AM
Also Dawn of the Dead remake is my favorite zombie film ever. And a lot of zombie traditionalists hate that and any other movie with "running" zombies. Its not realistic I guess. 'Cause walking dead people is so reality. Its supernatural no matter how you slice it. And a zombie that's running at me and screaming is way more scary than one loping along and moaning

I really enjoyed the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Shorty
01-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Though I love The Room.

What is the matter with you, The Room is the worst movie in existence!

Pheesh
01-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Though I love The Room.

You're just a chicken Sarah! CHEEPCHEEPCHEEPCHEEP!!

Marshall Banana
01-11-2011, 07:08 AM
oh hi sarah

Shorty
01-11-2011, 07:09 AM
oh hi monda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4)

okay, I'll list a real one. POLTERGEIST.

Slothy
01-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Yes it was not the film we wanted but once you take the FF title out of it and just accept it as a sci-fi flick, it's a pretty darn good movie. Maybe not the greatest sci-fi film ever told but seriously, I felt the movie was fun and had some cool concepts in it.

Thank you.

and nearly every Rocky and Rambo sequel ever made.

At least the last movie in each of those series were actually awesome. Aside from that though I agree with you.

I'll also throw Commando out there and mention that I have a soft spot for the first two Friday the 13th films.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Though I love The Room.

"You're tearing me apart Sarah!"

Laddy
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't think it's good at the slightest, that's why I love it.

It's Lisa, John. :I LISAH!

Dreddz
01-11-2011, 06:11 PM

I don't think the Dawn of the Dead remake is considered bad by anyone. It was fairly well reviewed and even has a pretty decent rating on imdb. The original is one of my all time favourite films, so the fact that I kind of like the remake says a lot about its quality.

I'll also throw Commando out there.

Anyone with a good appreciation for 80's action movies knows that Commando is the :bou::bou::bou::bou:. People who automatically label cheesy 80's action flicks as bad are idiots.

NorthernChaosGod
01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I absolutely love cheesy horror films, but mostly old ones. Slasher films, zombie films, monster films, love that :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Roto13
01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Spider-Man 3. Apparently it's ok to be unintentionally cheesy like Spider-Man 1 and 2, but the second it becomes self aware and is cheesy on purpose, oh my god no.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Spider-Man 3. Apparently it's ok to be unintentionally cheesy like Spider-Man 1 and 2, but the second it becomes self aware and is cheesy on purpose, oh my god no.

Well...to be fair, I can sort of see why people dislike Spider-Man 3 and it has to do with the fact that Sam Raimi introduced three of the biggest characters from the Spider-Man mythos in one movie. I mean, really, Sandman's whole harry hard-luck story needed a full movie to be completely fleshed out, not half of a movie, a full movie. With Venom, I think audiences were expecting Eddie Brock to play some Pacific Heights mind games with Peter Parker and we didn't get that.

Now Gwen Stacy was definitely a wasted character in my opinion. I mean Gwen was so irrelevant to the grand scheme of things that you could pretty much run the whole movie without her. I think the only way they could've made Gwen Stacy work was by having Harry Osborne (post Goblin-Green formula inhalation,) kill Mary Jane Watson, (after the ghost of Norman says, "Attack the heart!") and then they could've had Gwen there to pick up the pieces while Peter was crying his eye balls out.

Mirage
01-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Lots of movies that are all about blowing crap up and killing people in really unlikely ways
typical 80s and 90s action hero movies, in other words

and kung pow, and tokyo gore police, and idiocracy, even though that one isn't rated all that bad with it's 6.8 on imdb.

also, tons of jim carrey movies that have only been given average scores

can't think of too many outright terrible movies though

Mo-Nercy
01-12-2011, 02:57 AM
I love Death Race and all the The Fast and The Furious films.

And I can tell that I'm going to love The Green Hornet too.

rubah
01-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Armageddon, Mystery Men, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Spider-man 3

but not the room. it was too bad.

Vyk
01-12-2011, 09:06 AM
People thought Mystery Men was bad? :( I love that movie

Miriel
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
I pretty much love every wedding rom/com movie out there. Doesn't matter how cheesy or silly. The Wedding Planner, Bride Wars, My Best Friend's Wedding, etc.

I dunno, I can't help myself.

I can actually go spend 10 hours at an actual wedding, come home, sit on the couch and go, "oooh, Four Weddings is on!" and watch it for hours.

LunarWeaver
01-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I can dig bad movies. There are plenty I really like. One that's a bigger budget film and considered bad by fans is Superman Returns. I was told over and over to just turn it off after the airplane sequence because nothing else happens, but I love that damn movie, damnit Janet.

I'm too lazy to make a real list right now.

Slothy
01-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Anyone with a good appreciation for 80's action movies knows that Commando is the :bou::bou::bou::bou:. People who automatically label cheesy 80's action flicks as bad are idiots.

Just because it's awesome doesn't mean it isn't actually bad. There's plenty of other 80's cheese that actually makes for a better action movie, but I like Commando quite a bit simply because of how bad it is, even for a cheesy 80's action flick.

Roto13
01-13-2011, 03:31 AM
I can dig bad movies. There are plenty I really like. One that's a bigger budget film and considered bad by fans is Superman Returns. I was told over and over to just turn it off after the airplane sequence because nothing else happens, but I love that damn movie, damnit Janet.

I'm too lazy to make a real list right now.

YouTube - Lex Luthor - WRONG! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVUOGUmxJI)

(I don't know who is wrong, I just like that part.)

Madame Adequate
01-13-2011, 04:51 AM
I really, really like Waterworld.

Jiro
01-13-2011, 06:40 AM

omfg YES YES YES. I have watched that movie like a million times. I haven't seen if for years though, I really must watch it again.

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2011, 07:17 AM

omfg YES YES YES. I have watched that movie like a million times. I haven't seen if for years though, I really must watch it again.

Aren't you living that right now?

Rye
01-13-2011, 07:20 AM
SHARK BOY AND MOTHER FUCKING LAVA GIRL

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2011, 07:26 AM
SHARK BOY AND MOTHER smurfING LAVA GIRL

Because of Shark Boy? :|

Jiro
01-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Oh Julian you're a funny one. :p There's still dry land though so it's not quite. It would be SORTA COOL though

spirit
01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, I believe so.

Masters of the Universe would be one of many.

rubah
01-13-2011, 09:07 PM
SHARK BOY AND MOTHER FUCKING LAVA GIRL

IN 3-D

Shiny
01-14-2011, 03:26 AM
I forgot Bio-Dome and Mac and Me! I love those movies.

NorthernChaosGod
01-14-2011, 03:34 AM
I forgot Bio-Dome and Mac and Me! I love those movies.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Vyk
01-14-2011, 05:42 AM
EXCELLENT!

Dreddz
01-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Did someone just mention Bio-dome? God I love the internet.

Hot Shot
01-14-2011, 12:25 PM
My friend and I love watching bad movies cos they're bad. He loves to watch terrible films from the east. This is just one of them YouTube - Fireball Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twbp5F2NR_w)

DMKA
01-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I enjoyed The Last Airbender and I really liked all of the Resident Evil movies.

Pretty much everyone hates those films.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2011, 06:43 PM
The Resi movies are good!

PeneloRatsbane
01-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I saw this film "Thir13een Ghosts" and i knew it was tosh but i loved it

DMKA
01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Hahaha Bio-Dome. Wasn't Pauley Shore in that movie? It was terrible but I loved it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-10-2011, 01:30 AM
By the way I heard Independence Day was a bad movie but I enjoyed it because I used to watch it on VHS all the time.

cloud_doll
02-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Stick it.

It was bad but....so good.

spirit
02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I enjoy The Spirits Within, does that count?

White Noise 2
May more, can't think of any though...