PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin (Sega)

Chris
01-10-2011, 12:19 PM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080630143033/sega/images/thumb/e/e2/Aladdin.jpg/280px-Aladdin.jpg

I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing this game as a kid, and I have recently been replaying it over and over again.

This game is quite possibly the best-looking game on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, and everything about it is really top notch. The game itself looks amazing, and the soundtrack is that of the movie, meaning that it couldn't be any more perfect.

Kinda pissed that it hasn't been included in any of the Sega Collections released so far, but I remain optimistic.

Any tender memories of this splendid game? :D

Flying Arrow
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes! Really good game. I don't have any specific memories, but I always looked forward to playing it when I'd go over to a friend's who had it.

Bolivar
01-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah! This game was an awesome platformer, I remember the animations being incredibly smooth, lending to really fluid gameplay and overall just awesome time. I remember it had a Konami-esque code (unless it really was konami) that I remembered for a long time after putting the game down.

I don't think you'll ever see it on a Genesis collection, they seem to only put first party games on them. The first NHL Hockey, for example, was a Genesis exclusive and a game that made the system great IMO but you'll never find it on a collection (prepares to be disproven).

Freya
01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I remember I really loved this game but reaaaaallllly sucked at it.

Vyk
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Between this and the Lion King game, Disney had some pretty good 16-bit treatment. Virgin was a pretty good company back in the day. This was a really good example. But its not just a Genesis game :P At least.. I don't think it is. I'm pretty sure I have it for my SNES emulator on my PSP. But even still, that doesn't affect its status as a quality game in the Genesis library. A friend at work played that thing every day for weeks on my PSP I can't imagine how many times he beat it (due to save states) and then wanted to borrow my system for a weekend so he could play it through a few more times. Good game and all, I don't think I could play it that much haha

Shlup
01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I rented this several times, but never owned a copy.

I was all about Mickey's Castle of Illusion for Genesis though. Disney did a great job making games back then.

I have one Disney game for Nintendo DS... it's awful. Like unimaginably awful.

G13
01-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I don't remember how old I was when I played it but I was young enough to find bouncing on a camel's back over and over again to make him spit was the funniest thing ever.

I loved this game but I don't recall ever beating it legitimately. I'd get to the level where you have to escape the Cave of Wonders on the carpet and pound in the code until I got to the last level.

NeoCracker
01-11-2011, 12:30 AM
I remember playing it on the SNES, and it was indeed solid platforming goodness. And I'll saddly have to agree with Shlup, Mickey's old school games were the :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Loony BoB
01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Really enjoyed this game, also enjoyed that Mickey game Shlup mentioned and The Lion King game was alright. For some reason, although not Disney, I'm also reminded of the Ren & Stimpy game which I thought was glorious.

KentaRawr!
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
The SNES version was infinitely better. :3

Chris
01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Really enjoyed this game, also enjoyed that Mickey game Shlup mentioned and The Lion King game was alright. For some reason, although not Disney, I'm also reminded of the Ren & Stimpy game which I thought was glorious.
If it's this one you're thinking of, then yes, it's pretty amazing too:

http://i55.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/jj6z4l.jpg

Extremely funny, but has got to be the easiest game in history. I can beat it in about thirty minutes or so. :D

NorthernChaosGod
01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
I loved this game as a kid, but I don't even remember ever beating it then. I think I enjoyed making the camel spit a little too much too. :p

I was all about Mickey's Castle of Illusion for Genesis though. Disney did a great job making games back then.

And World of Illusion! And Donald's Quackshot! :jess:

Meat Puppet
01-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I played the hell out of Castle of Illusion. Man, I got real good at that game. Gotta go watch youtube videos about it to get all nostalgic

Bolivar
01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Speaking of Disney games, I can't forget

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Mauimallard.jpg

I actually won a T-Shirt of the game from Sega Channel when I was a kid (cable modems before there were cable modems ftw) and wore the crap out of it. That was also an extremely smooth, awesome game.

Also, Mickey Mania was David Jaffe's first game he directed, and was made by one of Sony's early, early studios in the game industry.

LunarWeaver
01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I loved and owned the Aladdin game, and it owned me in that overused and unfunny Internet definition way. Ah, I loved my Genesis... What the hell were you thinking after that, Sega.

I couldn't beat The Lion King :aimmad: I had and beat The Little Mermaid for the NES. Maybe I just wanted to be a mermaid more than a lion. Bigger motive and all.

Timekeeper
01-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Ahh sweet memories, I do remember finally defeating that game with my older brother.

Mind you, I still have it (and Lion King and World of Illusion) and my Sega is still working and currently hooked up to my tv :D

Actually, photo time!
EDIT: Or not, stupid camera...

Rostum
01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Both the Genesis and Super Nintendo versions were incredible. I loved them, and beat them many times.

The Genesis version had more action in it (you had a sword), and was a lot harder. The Super Nintendo version was more platform-based and you had Abu following you around which was cool. I don't think I could pick a favourite version, they both were great.

Capcom did some pretty awesome games for Disney. There was that Goof Troop game that was pretty much a co-op version of Zelda, that was really cool. Though Traveller's Tales made my most favourite Mickey Mouse game ever - Mickey Mania. I've only played the Super Nintendo version so I'm not sure how greatly they differ.