PDA

View Full Version : school. school. oh my god, school.

Yar
01-13-2011, 12:38 AM
I don't have time for anything anymore. :crying2:

What is everyone taking this semester?

I'm taking Japanese II of course but somehow I ended up stuck in a Philosophy class because my adviser registered me for it 10 minutes before the class met. And I get to retake statistics because I dropped it last semester WOO and I have some class about ethnicity and education which is the most boring class I have this semester.

let's get some school

Rye
01-13-2011, 12:49 AM
My spring semester is looking like:

EGL 218: American Literature II
EGL 224 - 20th Century Lit in English
EGL 369 - Topics of Ethnic Studies in American Lit
HIS 375 - US Politics & Diplom to 1898 (Motherfucking snore fest)
JPN 111 - Elementary Japanese (I already took Japanese I and got an A, but the credits didn't transfer to my new college, LOL)

Basically, I'll be writing papers forever while weeping over Manifest Destiny in the hiragana alphabet.

Clo
01-13-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm taking -- nothing.

I'm student teaching English Language Arts in a middle school and a high school.

fire_of_avalon
01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm taking Crime & Delinquency (soci) and Gender & Communication (wmst) online and I AM SO EXCITED SOMEDAY IN ABOUT A YEAR I WILL HAVE A DEGREE MOTHER FUCKERS.

Raistlin
01-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Criminal Procedure I
Administrative Law
Bioethics/Medical Ethics and Law
Innocence Project Clinic
Legal Skills IV

I have some cool, interesting classes and professors this semester.

Miriel
01-13-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm taking Crime & Delinquency (soci) and Gender & Communication (wmst) online and I AM SO EXCITED SOMEDAY IN ABOUT A YEAR I WILL HAVE A DEGREE MOTHER FUCKERS.

Oh man, those two classes sound awesome. I'm out of school, but that doesn't mean I've stopped with my education! I took a full day photography workshop just the other day. And I'm planning on sitting in on some Sociology classes over at Berkeley when I have the time. They're pretty cool with non-students dropping in for lectures.

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Music Theory 2
Piano 1
Elementary Spanish (screw taking the Spanish speakers class :mad2:)
English - Reading and composition : Exposition and argumentation
Weight lifting class

EDIT: Why does "composition :" without the space make a bunch of Umaros? XD

kotora
01-13-2011, 02:05 AM
they have academic weight lifting courses now?

Bunny
01-13-2011, 02:11 AM
HIS 247: 20th Century World History
AST 101: Astronomy I
HUM 220: History of Rock & Roll
LIT 225: Introduction to Shakespeare
HIS 112: The World: 1500-Present

Finishing off my AA degree with this semester and taking classes I didn't get a chance to take before. Both the history classes are with the same professor, who is leaving after this semester for another school. The Shakespeare class is by another one of my favorite professors and is the first time it's been offered at the school. History of Rock & Roll is basically listening to music all day. The astronomy class is just to finish off my science requirements.

I was taking a sixth class but I dropped it because it was unnecessary and not as interesting as my other courses.

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2011, 02:13 AM
they have academic weight lifting courses now?

It's pretty much PE except they actually measure progress. :p

fire_of_avalon
01-13-2011, 02:26 AM
We have a history of rock music class I want to take, but it fills up so quickly I always miss out. That and it's completely unrelated to my major, so my adviser always frowns.

Yeah, I think these classes will be fun and interesting.

Shiny
01-13-2011, 04:55 AM
What are you majoring in, foa?

Theories on Personality II - I don't actually know wtf this course is about. Can't remember the course title, but a psychologist is teaching it so seems like it will be an interesting study of the mind class.
Film & Lit II - Comparing literature to mostly experimental films, but some are narrative. It's also been a class about anarchy and nihilism because the teacher apparently thinks he's an anarchist, ha!
Finance & Distribution - Learning how to finance and distribute films efficiently
Women Make Film - Real Course Title: Wiminz Be Makin' Those
Advanced Production II - We deal with pretty much everything in film in production classes. Setting up dolly tracks, lights, casting, location managing etc. etc. This year it's been heavily focused on sound design and setting up sound for different types of productions like television (where you use wireless) and boom poles (mostly used in closed door film sets).

rubah
01-13-2011, 05:51 AM
rye-- they don't have placement tests? (I took the one for french during orientation a million years ago and it put me at the fourth semester. I DIED in the first class :D)

I think I can recall most of my schedule:

Intro to Psych ✔
Anthropology of Religion ✔
ME Lab III ✔
Creative Project II ✔

the prof of Anthro of Religion has a lot of reviews on ratemyprofessor that she is an open-minded staunch feminist who doesn't take any guff with christians who confuse "religion" for "sunday school" and enroll accordingly. I think I'll like it 8)

I tried to enroll in Microfabrication, but they aren't offering it this semester :( :cry:
also all the stupid little PE classes are all full except "fitness walking" I CAN JUST WALK TO CLASS IF I WANTED TO BE FIT.
(I've always wanted to learn to play Badminton. but that class would be at 8AM anyway. eff it!)

it's catching a CSS filter that someone (certainly not paul, flying mullet, and myself!) may have made use of many moons ago.

Bunny
01-13-2011, 06:29 AM
the prof of Anthro of Religion has a lot of reviews on ratemyprofessor that she is an open-minded staunch feminist who doesn't take any guff with christians who confuse "religion" for "sunday school" and enroll accordingly. I think I'll like it 8)

I would totally take this class. I wanted to take Philosophy of Religion or Sociology of Religion but I there wasn't any appealing times that fit in with my schedule. Oh and Psychology of Death and Dying but it wasn't being offered this semester.

Jiro
01-13-2011, 06:30 AM
News Writing: Print and Broadcast
Paperback Hero
Creative Writing for Children and Young Adults

Self explanatory really. This will be my slack semester where my grades are horrible because I hate broadcast and apparently my creativity is wrong :jess:

Bunny
01-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Paperback Hero?

Jiro
01-13-2011, 06:53 AM
It teaches me to write mainstream books. Like, y'know, the ones the masses go crazy over. See: Twilight.

I swear to god I will fail that class to avoid becoming Stephanie Meyer, you don't have to worry about me.

Rye
01-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Is it actually called Paperback Hero? I lol'd.

Jiro
01-13-2011, 07:36 AM
It is, yeah. I imagined it to have a lot more heroic content but as far as I can tell it's going to be pretty meh.

Peegee
01-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Troubleshooting Windows
Troubleshooting Desktop Applications
A+ 2009 I (of II)
Telephone Communications (I think - need to check)

I haven't received any material for Telephone communications. I'm going to make sure I paid for it and then bug the prof.

I Took the Red Pill
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
MTH 233 Intro to Cryptography
MTH 236 Abstract Algebra
MTH 282 Complex Analysis
MTH 302W History of Mathematics

Clo
01-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I want to go take all of the classes you guys are taking.

I've never taken a fun class. This is what I get for taking college for Serious Business. I want to go back to peg one and major in Awesome :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Old Manus
01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
CS21120 Program Design, Data Structures And Algorithms
CS22120 The Software Development Life Cycle
CS22310 User Centred Design And Human Computer Interaction
CS25710 Mobile, Embedded And Wearable Technology
CS26210 The Artificial Intelligence Toolbox - Part II: Programming In An Uncertain World

oh my god I just realised I'm a freak

rubah
01-13-2011, 09:03 PM

I've never taken a fun class. This is what I get for taking college for Serious Business. I want to go back to peg one and major in Awesome :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

wait, what?

Death and Dying is like the de facto upper level humanities/social science class here, bunny. It's taught every semester and summer session.

Bunny
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Death and Dying is like the de facto upper level humanities/social science class here, bunny. It's taught every semester and summer session.

It's a small school and the psych department is made up of only a couple faculty members so they trade off what classes they teach ever semester. It kinda sucks but oh well, I'll probably take it eventually.

Peegee
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM
rye-- they don't have placement tests? (I took the one for french during orientation a million years ago and it put me at the fourth semester. I DIED in the first class :D)

I think I can recall most of my schedule:

Intro to Psych ✔
Anthropology of Religion ✔
ME Lab III ✔
Creative Project II ✔

I tried to enroll in Microfabrication, but they aren't offering it this semester :( :cry:
also all the stupid little PE classes are all full except "fitness walking" I CAN JUST WALK TO CLASS IF I WANTED TO BE FIT.
(I've always wanted to learn to play Badminton. but that class would be at 8AM anyway. eff it!)

it's catching a CSS filter that someone (certainly not paul, flying mullet, and myself!) may have made use of many moons ago.

So asian.

PS as an asian I'm insulted you didn't ask me to teach you how to play badminton or bring badminton racquets

rubah
01-14-2011, 02:48 AM
we used to have badminton racquets at my parents until my nephews tried to play tennis with them.

Also, I got marked off on a spelling test in fifth grade for misspelling "Rackets"

fire_of_avalon
01-14-2011, 02:57 AM
My major right now is Women's Studies, Shiny. If I transfer I might change it back to Journalism, but seeing as how I eventually want to get my MSW, probably not.

kotora
01-14-2011, 03:04 AM

at least you americans get to choose your classes :(

escobert
01-14-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm taking demolition 101 :p

Peegee
01-14-2011, 03:58 AM
we used to have badminton racquets at my parents until my nephews tried to play tennis with them.

Also, I got marked off on a spelling test in fifth grade for misspelling "Rackets"

bad allies.

btw in grade 8 would you know how to spell 12th? I did and got 20/20 on my spelling quiz ^_^ (azn brofist)

Brennan
01-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Eh, collage courses make me feel O_o.
Ah well, keep in mind, I'm a Sophomore.
French I
P.E.
Ag I
Biology
Civics/Free Enterprise
Geometry
English II

asukaevaunit02
01-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Back to uni this year after taking a break last year. Looking foward to it, but not the timetable - its horrible! Trying to compromise, stupid living 2 hours form the campus!

AFC2000: Financial institutions and markets
AFC2140: Corporate finance
ECC2000: Intermediate microeconomics
ECC2410: Introductory econometrics

Rostum
01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I graduated my bachelors and have had to deal with the real world for a year. It's scary. :(

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Taking a break at the moment. This fall I will start school again and study whateverthefuck so people will stop giving me :bou::bou::bou::bou: about not being in school :|

Peegee
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Taking a break at the moment. This fall I will start school again and study whateverthesmurf so people will stop giving me :bou::bou::bou::bou: about not being in school :|

Why is going to school important? Unless it's training to be competent at your craft, I guess? But even for allies who is a super genius she will still need training at her job.

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Taking a break at the moment. This fall I will start school again and study whateverthesmurf so people will stop giving me :bou::bou::bou::bou: about not being in school :|

Why is going to school important? Unless it's training to be competent at your craft, I guess? But even for allies who is a super genius she will still need training at her job.

It's important because it's important. Nobody respects you if you have no education beyond high school. I don't have anything against school, I just want to have a goal more specific than "get a degree in anything at all." School is expensive! I don't want to go there just to dilly dally!

escobert
01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I graduated my bachelors and have had to deal with the real world for a year. It's scary. :(

I didn't go to college and have been dealing with the real world for the last 7 years :p

Peegee
01-14-2011, 11:07 PM

I didn't go to college and have been dealing with the real world for the last 7 years :p

I'm 31 and 8 years ago was 23 which means you've been an adult longer than PG
how scary is that?

Aerith's Knight
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
- Fluid Biomechanics
- Multi-fluid mechanics
- New development in Fluorescent microscopy
- Microscopic measurements
- Biosensors
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and introduction to MRI
- Neurological MRI
- Vascular biology
- Numerical Analysis of continua
- Radio-isotopes and ionic radiation
- Electromechanics III - Advanced Electrodynamics

That together with an internship. It'll be a full semester, I guess.

rubah
01-16-2011, 06:48 AM
It's important because it's important. Nobody respects you if you have no education beyond high school. I don't have anything against school, I just want to have a goal more specific than "get a degree in anything at all." School is expensive! I don't want to go there just to dilly dally!

What do you want to do? Then decide if you actually need a degree. For many fields, it isn't necessary. Even if you got a degree (or three), what would they be, and what would you do with them?

Aerith's Knight
01-16-2011, 11:33 AM

What do you want to do? Then decide if you actually need a degree. For many fields, it isn't necessary. Even if you got a degree (or three), what would they be, and what would you do with them?

It would make a lot of difference in salary, if you get a degree in the field of question at least.

rubah
01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
What kind of degree do you get if you want to be a chef? Or a woodsworker? Your reply isn't what she needs-- you've spent so long participating in and worshipping academia, I doubt you remember what the outside world is like anymore :)

Bunny
01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
What kind of degree do you get if you want to be a chef?

A degree in the culinary arts would help get you a high-profile job easier than it would hinder it. Being taken seriously without one would be difficult, though not impossible.

Rye
01-16-2011, 07:24 PM
I think that people underrate the perks, both emotionally and even financially, of being skilled in a trade. Besides the obviously example of skilled plumbers make 6 digits, I have a really good friend who is already making a very decent living of crafting and such, and she's only 21. While it's true that having a degree helps to be taken seriously, it's not what gives one the skills they need. Those come from the hands-on.

Also, :up: rubah.

NorthernChaosGod
01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Guys, here's a thought. Get a degree and some experience at the same time. :eek:

Aerith's Knight
01-16-2011, 09:16 PM
What kind of degree do you get if you want to be a chef? Or a woodsworker? Your reply isn't what she needs-- you've spent so long participating in and worshipping academia, I doubt you remember what the outside world is like anymore :)

Chef school is a vocational school degree, same with woodworker, although that degree involves other things.

I'm quite aware of the outside world. And I'm quite aware of the limitations of those without degrees, as I live in a country where education is near to free, and everyone has a chance to get a degree in something, and nearly everyone does. I also know of those who drop out and stay with high school knowledge. Those that don't end up in the army or the low end of retails, end up in the.. let's say less lawful of instances.

Instead of sprouting fairytales about people doing what they love to do, I'm a realist. Look at what you want to do, look at what is available/possible for you, and compromise. That's what being a grown-up is.

kotora
01-16-2011, 10:31 PM

Chef school is a vocational school degree, same with woodworker, although that degree involves other things.

I'm quite aware of the outside world. And I'm quite aware of the limitations of those without degrees, as I live in a country where education is near to free, and everyone has a chance to get a degree in something, and nearly everyone does. I also know of those who drop out and stay with high school knowledge. Those that don't end up in the army or the low end of retails, end up in the.. let's say less lawful of instances.

Instead of sprouting fairytales about people doing what they love to do, I'm a realist. Look at what you want to do, look at what is available/possible for you, and compromise. That's what being a grown-up is.

True that, without a degree you'll get nowhere in this country. Even within the army you'd be forced to quit after a number of years if you don't get yourself some additional degrees or certifications.

Shiny
01-17-2011, 02:27 AM

Living with your parents is not the real world, Bert.

Peegee
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Living with your parents is not the real world, Bert.

ouch.

But Bort Bert has a job now so yay

Hearts
01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Not many classes since it is my senior year.

AP Calculus, AP Psychology, AP English Lit, AP Human Geography.

Next semester I'll be taking Pre-Pharmacy classes at Wingate University. Finally. :)