PDA

View Full Version : This may seem rather juvenile to most of you, I'm 23 years old and have missed work

spirit
01-13-2011, 10:17 PM
You can only apologize for so long, the thing about a apology is that you most likely don't know the entire story, your words are often flat, shallow, you may have no idea what others went through for you, because of you.
It may mostly be from your perspective.

Eventually your apologies may run flat ,and people may become offended , and they may no longer desire, attempt, to see things from your side. This may be because they feel the need to protect their selves against what could be considered manipulation, and what may be considered your unpredictability. Life does not work on occasion with the stance of unpredictability, especially when the occasion is that you are a manager. People may need perspective and with a wild card in the deck, they may not be able to put things into perspective. A manager may need perspective/ hind sight...

So, what may I say if my hand is up? Who knows, do I even know? Who would you be to tell me what to think, know? Who would the manager be?
What's the real answer? Is there one? I may be considered a tedious calculation , which has no clear answer...where business suggests that I be removed.

I can say I'm sorry a million times, but does it have weight? Do I really mean it? Do I really know the implications behind what I apologizing for (to)?

I recall being late one other day, and missing a day without taking fault for it because of a scheduling conflict.

Work at a grocery store, part time.(for college) Comment on my story, or your own. Thread is about screwing up work.

kotora
01-13-2011, 10:47 PM
A manager can't afford to make excuses, it looks bad. That's why we lie.

Peegee
01-14-2011, 12:13 AM
I told a friend to get a doctorb note bc she went awol now she yelled at me and said my idea sucks:?????:

spirit
01-14-2011, 01:07 AM
I told a friend to get a doctorb note bc she went awol now she yelled at me and said my idea sucks:?????:
I believe that I may have went "awol". Head spinning, no consumption, confused...

kotora
01-14-2011, 01:31 AM
That doesn't really fit the definition of "absent without official leave"

Shorty
01-14-2011, 02:34 AM
So you just... didn't show up for work? Didn't call in?

If I were a manager, I'd give someone one shot with a no-call, no-show. You should probably do your best and grovel.

Aerith's Knight
01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
tl;dr

Christmas
01-15-2011, 08:31 AM
I don't really know whether this one counts but there was this kid I happen to teach asked for my age and told me I look suitable to be his dad's girlfriend. A few days later I made his stay back after school to finish his homework. After his work is done, he told me there isn't anyone to fetch him home and I have to bring him home. Ya, I forgot to ask whether there is anyone to fetch him home before I make him stay back:monster:

So I had to bring him home and he stick to me like a magnet talking non stop on the way. Ever since, he went around telling everyone I will be his mum. :(

Aerith's Knight
01-15-2011, 11:31 AM
tl;dr

You have apparently forgotten the difference between EoEO and GC. Spend a few days not here to refresh your memory. ~Shlup

Seems I'm not the one who forgot the difference.

Btw, this is the second time I've been banned by Shlup because SHE confused EoEO with GC. I'm keeping count.

Shlup wrongfully banning me count: 2

Rantz
01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Removed the ban. Still, the thread is clearly asking for more substantial replies; it may be GC, but you're still expected to use contextual judgement and not post spam in a non-spammy thread. ;)

Shlup
01-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I lol'd. My habit of opening every forum I visit in its own tab as soon as I get to EoFF has bitten me.

I still hate you.

Hollycat
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm 17, and still dont have a real job, so dont feel bad.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I lol'd. My habit of opening every forum I visit in its own tab as soon as I get to EoFF has bitten me.

I still hate you.

Are you going senile? :(

Shlup
01-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes.

Hollycat
01-15-2011, 08:36 PM
I've been inventing things since you were barely turning senile!!

Seifer
01-27-2011, 01:18 AM
You think that's something? 24 here, late every single day.

But late at my job is really relative. I'm salary, so they don't really keep track of me, and I usually stay for a complete, or close to complete, 8 hours (minus lunch break). I will sometime either be extremely late when the roads are bad, or just not go at all. This I don't do often, but it doesn't seem to have any real repercussions.

So the moral of the story is, just get a job where no one gives a crap, or only mildly gives a crap.

Jiro
01-27-2011, 03:23 AM
I don't go to work, ever.

I don't have a job.

fire_of_avalon
01-27-2011, 04:13 AM
In my line of work, you're the person I like least, Seifer. I will make you be on time or die trying.

crono_logical
01-27-2011, 11:09 AM
In my line of work, late is often ok since a lot of our work has to be after people go home anyway :p People get annoyed when we make all the computers unusable during the day :p

Jiro
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Why is my post bolded?

Tai-Ti
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I nearly broke a $20 000 Pizza oven by getting the crumb tray stuck in the belt..... But it didn't break, so I said ':bou::bou::bou::bou:, my bad' and went back to work. My bosses are cool like that. You have to do something seriously rebellious to get fired at my work, we're all pretty good mates.

Mo-Nercy
01-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd just apologise and try and make up for it by working super hard for the next few days until all is forgotten.

Iceglow
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
skipping work is common enough, make up some cock and bull about needing the time for personal reasons (note personal reasons is the golden phrase, you can pull a sickie stating this the manager can attempt to pry in to the reasons why but you legally can say "I'm sorry, it's too private. I really don't wanna discuss it" and they can't push past it) and grovel a bit, offer to make the hours up and you'll be fine.

Blue Harvest
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I care for old people so I can't screw up or they die. But saying that, I've lost count of the amount of times someone's asked for a cuppa and I'm promptly forgotten to make one.

Ouch!
02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I was two hours late to my first day at work once.

I was honest and told them that I slept through my alarm because I wasn't used to getting up so early. It didn't happen again. They didn't care.