PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac changes

Madame Adequate
01-13-2011, 10:42 PM
New Zodiac Sign Dates: Taylor Swift’s the New 13th Sign Ophiuchus! - OK! Magazine - The First for Celebrity News (http://www.okmagazine.com/2011/01/new-zodiac-sign-dates-blake-livelys-sign-changed-did-yours/)

Normally I'd be content to sit back and laugh as astrologers try to rationalize how this wonderful guide to personality and life can undergo such upheaval. (the comments indicate how: they're trying to claim that the heavens haven't moved)

HOWEVER

I'm just mad I'm not an Ophiuchus

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
They're barely now deciding to try and "fix" this? :confused:

Yar
01-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Capricorn: Jan. 20 - Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 - March 11
Pisces: March 11- April 18
Aries: April 18- May 13
Taurus: May 13- June 21
Gemini: June 21- July 20
Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20

NOOO how can I be a gemini I hate them so much :mad2:

Madonna
01-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Welcome to Midlight's Deep, Taylor Swift.

Rye
01-13-2011, 11:38 PM
I liked being a cancer... =(

Agent Proto
01-13-2011, 11:43 PM
wtf, I was a Scorpio, now I'm Virgo! :mad2:

This is an outrage, just like that time they decided to demote Pluto from planethood!

kotora
01-13-2011, 11:44 PM
so that's why the horoscope didn't work

Rantz
01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
From what I understand this change is the opinion of a few, broadcast to many :p Still, I'm also mad I'm not an Opiuchus >:O It starts Nov 29th and I'm a Nov 28th, which would make me a Scorpio instead.

Inferno
01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
NOOO how can I be a gemini I hate them so much :mad2:

You vs me, right now !

Peegee
01-14-2011, 12:10 AM
NOOOO I AM NOT A SPIDER WANNABEE FIX THIS NOW MILF YOU MIDGET JERK OR I AM GÖING TO BITE YOU

Yar
01-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Also, lol @ legitimate outrage by some people having to change their signs.

The fact that it's taken them 3,000 years to correct this just shows how much bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: the last set of signs were, and how much bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: the new ones are.

Depression Moon
01-14-2011, 12:13 AM
So Ophiuchus is a real thing?

Old Manus
01-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I heard some guy just looked over where he found Scorpio a few times, then discovered it

Roto13
01-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I am apparently a Gemini now. One time some crazy guy told me Geminis were evil because they were all two-faced. But he was a Taurus and I was a Cancer so we were supposed to be BFFs. (We were not.)

KentaRawr!
01-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Oh my God.

VIRGO?

Screw Virgos I want to be a Libra again.

Shoeberto
01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Oh my God.

VIRGO?

Screw Virgos I want to be a Libra again.
Word!

fire_of_avalon
01-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Welp I'm still a cancer.

Mirage
01-14-2011, 01:32 AM
My thoughts go to all those who had their zodiac signs tattooed on their bodies. Laser removal incoming.

I can't believe i'm not pisces anymore.

NorthernChaosGod
01-14-2011, 01:52 AM
My thoughts go to all those who had their zodiac signs tattooed on their bodies. Laser removal incoming.

xD I hadn't thought about that.

Clo
01-14-2011, 02:03 AM
How come something so arbitrary just up and changes?

Also, I've been a Cancer my whole life, and now it's weird to say I'm a Gemini.

And I feel bad for idiots who received tattoos of their Zodiac signs. Ahaha. :jess:

I Took the Red Pill
01-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Ophiuchus in this bitch 8-)

Shorty
01-14-2011, 02:15 AM
I don't accept this. I'm still a libra.

It's not a real change, anyhow. A bunch of people who got signs they didn't like decided to punish us all for it.

Shiny
01-14-2011, 02:19 AM
This 13th sign thing has been around for a while. You have obviously never spoken to Dynast. Still a Leo, so I'm happy. I was almost worried I'd be a Virgo or Cancer.

Clo
01-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Wait, is this for newborns, or does it apply to us?

Mogi
01-14-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm an Aquarius now!

I think this is exciting!
:bounce:

Mirage
01-14-2011, 02:32 AM
This change has been happening for quite a few years. In fact, it happens all the time. It's just that no one really cared to adjust it until now.

rubah
01-14-2011, 02:46 AM
HOWEVER

I'm just mad I'm not an Ophiuchus

suck it 8)))

ERROR: UNDEFINED

This is what you get when you invent some woo thousands of years ago, try to make sense of it, lose all your civilization for a few hundreds of years, then forget that you were supposed to keep up with it!

Progression!

NorthernChaosGod
01-14-2011, 02:48 AM
Wait, is this for newborns, or does it apply to us?

The signs have probably needed adjusting for ages, so I'd say everyone.

ShunNakamura
01-14-2011, 05:14 AM
I don't want to be a goat! :(

That and the sign traits REALLY don't fit me :/. I fit Aquarius much better! Well unless the traits associated with the signs as changed as well since I last checked!

Brennan
01-14-2011, 05:28 AM
I went from Capricorn to Sagittarius, and according to le wikipedia, I went from a sea goat to an archer?
The hunted becomes the hunter :shifty:

Roto13
01-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Ophiuchus is only for people born from 2009 on, so none of you are under that sign. Unless you're, like, a miracle baby or something. Everyone else moves back a sign. So now your personality has to change to match your new sign. Funny how that works, right?

Vyk
01-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Didn't care before. And don't care now :} Not something to get worked up over. I'm still a water sign though. So I'm in the same ballpark at least. Not that it really matters either way

NorthernChaosGod
01-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Since everyone else apparently cares, I guess I should too. I'm still the same sign though, so suck it.

Dignified Pauper
01-14-2011, 05:47 AM
I am still a pisces... thank goodness.

Raistlin
01-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Apparently this all started because the national media decided to take a statement from one local paper completely out of context (http://io9.com/5733004/your-zodiac-sign-may-have-changed-this-week). Amusingly, that original article was rather critical of astrology in general (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/01/a_spiritual_science.php).

I am greatly amused by the ruckus this is causing. Of course astrology is baseless and nonsensical, but at least temporarily it has resulted in some entertainment.

Fujiko
01-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Ophiuchus! >:D

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Umm, that's not new. Ophiuchus as a zodiac sign is only recognized by a small group of astrologers. It is not recognized by most astrologers, or in what we normally think of when thinking of astrology.

Also, if you want to get nitty-gritty, your sun sign only plays a part in your astrology. Your moon sign and ascending are just as important. The position of the other planets play a role too, as well as their relation to one another (whether some aspects are in opposition, conjunction, at 90 degrees, 60 degrees, etc...), though sun, moon and ascending are treated as foremost.

Mogi
01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
It's okay, silly skeptics. You aren't in denial; you just haven't finished changing into your new selves yet.

kotora
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
so what about those azn zodiac signs that white people love to tattoo on their bodies? does that change too?

Mogi
01-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Everything has changed. You don't even know.

Iceglow
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Well according to the first post and the article contained within I'm no longer a Gemini I'm a Taurus xD

Old Manus
01-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Umm, that's not new. Ophiuchus as a zodiac sign is only recognized by a small group of astrologers. It is not recognized by most astrologers, or in what we normally think of when thinking of astrology.

Also, if you want to get nitty-gritty, your sun sign only plays a part in your astrology. Your moon sign and ascending are just as important. The position of the other planets play a role too, as well as their relation to one another (whether some aspects are in opposition, conjunction, at 90 degrees, 60 degrees, etc...), though sun, moon and ascending are treated as foremost.
:|

Hot Shot
01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm... a Taurus? Oh how I miss being a Gemini :(

Madame Adequate
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Feels bad being a virgin. :( I liked the balance shiet of Libra, I felt like some eternal arbiter of truth and justice.

bipper
01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
wtf, I was a Scorpio, now I'm Virgo! :mad2:

This is an outrage, just like that time they decided to demote Pluto from planethood!

Same here. But whatever, at least we get rid of pluto and have a proper planet now.

These sudden changes completely explain my personality paradigm shift lately. Assault!:redface:

LunarWeaver
01-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Bobby, I just don't know how to imagine what you do in your free time.

01-14-2011, 06:14 PM

I have a plethora of interests and astrology has always been one of them. Also, I have friends who are really into it so I pick up information from them too.

However, a few sidereal (Eastern) astrologers (such as Walter Berg[citation needed]) consider the Sun to be in the sign of Ophiuchus when it is in the constellation Ophiuchus, which is November 29 to December 17. Tropical (Western) astrologers and most sidereal astrologers do not recognize Ophiuchus as a sign.[citation needed]

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus_%28astrology%29#Background).

So yeah, two different astrological systems.

Either way, I am still a Leo, no matter how you divide it up.

LunarWeaver
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM

I have a plethora of interests and astrology has always been one of them. Also, I have friends who are really into it so I pick up information from them too.

I've crushed on you hard for so long because only you would answer anything I say so genuinely.

01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
It is more or less because you appear so sporadically that I forget to take things you say with a grain of salt. You just abandoned me to the wayside. So I cling to any attention you give me. :(

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2011, 06:22 PM
I hate Libras... I prefer being my anti-social asshole Scorpio sign instead. :penciltrick:

Hollycat
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
i loled

Shiny
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Your whole life and everything in it, was a lie.

EDIT: Bobby is like the new Dynast.

Hollycat
01-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Im still a leo

Vyk
01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Everywhere I hear about this, someone always says that it only applies to people born in 2009 or later. Which in itself sounds ridiculous. But they always post the same dates. One day out of every month has two zodiacs. You can't have Aquarius end on March 11 and have Pisces begin on March 11. People shouldn't have two zodiacs. That's too much power and responsibility!

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2011, 11:51 PM
This news certainly makes for good conversation, but I'm shocked by the number of people that are angered by this. Some of the most level headed people I know are in an uproar.

Also, according to the dates floating around, Scorpio is only a week long. wtf.

Shlup
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
I never felt like Aries suited me anyway. I embrace these changes!

Neptune is my favorite non-moon sailor senshi anyway. Pisces ftw.

Hollycat
01-15-2011, 12:11 AM
I wanna be a wolf. lets switch leo for lobo

Raistlin
01-15-2011, 12:24 AM
This news certainly makes for good conversation, but I'm shocked by the number of people that are angered by this. Some of the most level headed people I know are in an uproar.

If they give a crap about astrology outside of mocking astrologers, I question your label of "level-headed."

Shattered Dreamer
01-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Pieces? I was born an Aries I'll die an Aries!!!

Dr.M
01-15-2011, 01:41 AM
Everywhere I hear about this, someone always says that it only applies to people born in 2009 or later. Which in itself sounds ridiculous. But they always post the same dates. One day out of every month has two zodiacs. You can't have Aquarius end on March 11 and have Pisces begin on March 11. People shouldn't have two zodiacs. That's too much power and responsibility!

theres a word for that. i think its called being on the cusp and they have different meanings.

Shlup
01-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Apparently this doesn't apply to us Westerners because we follow the tropical zodiac, which hasn't changed.

Kind of like the Western view of karma versus the Eastern. There we crackers go bastardizing ancient philosophies for our own entertainment yet again.

Shattered Dreamer
01-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Apparently this doesn't apply to us Westerners because we follow the tropical zodiac, which hasn't changed.

Kind of like the Western view of karma versus the Eastern. There we crackers go bastardizing ancient philosophies for our own entertainment yet again.

That's a relief because I'm a ram, a fire sign not a bloody fish!?!?!?!

Clo
01-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Aw, fuck the zodiac, it's a bunch of hoo-ha.

Hollycat
01-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Aw, fuck the zodiac, it's a bunch of hoo-ha.
this

Ramza Beoulve
01-15-2011, 04:36 AM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2290/eca5.jpg

Heck yeah baby :D

(If the changes happens or not, I like it)

Laddy
01-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Hey, I like my new status as a Libra. It suits me far more than a Scorpio.

Remon
01-15-2011, 10:12 AM
I've always hated Cancer! They always portray them as emotional bitches. Plus it's CANCER. I'm glad I'm Gemini now :bigsmile: (I don't really care however :jess:)

Psychotic
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Aries? I don't want to be a fucking Aries. Shove your ram up your god damn pisshole.

Mirage
01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm aquarius now and it sucks so bad.

Iceglow
01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Except if you read the stuff Agrias posted on facebook then you'll see that this isn't really real. The Zodiac isn't based on the stars and sun, it's based on seasons and well since 3000 years ago when it was created we may not have had the same calendar or the same name for the months damn it even the length of the week may have changed but we've still had due to the gravitational lock of Earth to the Sun the same seasons, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter with each having a beginning, middle and end. The way the Zodiac works is there is 3 symbols for each season one for the beginning of the season, one for the middle and one for the end. This makes it pretty impossible to have a 13th Zodiac sign, unless ofcourse the gravitational pull of the Sun on the Earth lessened thus increasing the number of seasons because it'd increase the length of the year however doing so might move the earth out of the sweet spot it's in with regards to heat and light from the sun killing us all which is where greenhouse gases and global warming would actually work in our favour since they would help protect the earth as it cools due to increased distance from the Sun.

Ophiuchus is merely a star constellation not a Zodiac sign. God could you imagine if it was? They'd have to go back and re-write everything including tactics to include 13 Zodiac Braves!

Remon
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Ophiuchus is merely a star constellation not a Zodiac sign. God could you imagine if it was? They'd have to go back and re-write everything including tactics to include 13 Zodiac Braves!

Actually that zodiac stone exists :bigsmile:
But it's optional ;)

Alive-Cat
01-16-2011, 05:33 PM
A fish. I am now a smurfing fish. Thanks a lot! :nonono:

Raistlin
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Except if you read the stuff Agrias posted on facebook then you'll see that this isn't really real.

So like astrology in general?

Iceglow
01-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes Wesley, but since the main theme of this thread whether or not we believe in astrology is the existence of a 13th sign of the Zodiac I ignored this for the more focused answer that the 13th sign of the Zodiac is not real.

Madame Adequate
01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes Steve, the fact that astrology does not accord with actual, observable astronomical conditions is sort of the whole point.

kotora
01-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Except if you read the stuff Agrias posted on facebook then you'll see that this isn't really real. The Zodiac isn't based on the stars and sun, it's based on seasons and well since 3000 years ago when it was created we may not have had the same calendar or the same name for the months damn it even the length of the week may have changed but we've still had due to the gravitational lock of Earth to the Sun the same seasons, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter with each having a beginning, middle and end. The way the Zodiac works is there is 3 symbols for each season one for the beginning of the season, one for the middle and one for the end. This makes it pretty impossible to have a 13th Zodiac sign, unless ofcourse the gravitational pull of the Sun on the Earth lessened thus increasing the number of seasons because it'd increase the length of the year however doing so might move the earth out of the sweet spot it's in with regards to heat and light from the sun killing us all which is where greenhouse gases and global warming would actually work in our favour since they would help protect the earth as it cools due to increased distance from the Sun.

where'd you get that from? Most of the planet's surface doesn't even have 4 seasons, especially not the countries of the ancient peoples where the zodiac originates from

01-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Modern Western astrology is considered tropical astrology, though a small number of Westerner astrologers practice sidereal (and of those people a small number recognize Ophiuchus). The first sign (Aries) starts on the vernal equinox and then each sign is assigned it's 30 degrees of the heavens, making it into 12 parts, in other words twelve signs.

Whether or not they have the 4 seasons, the equinoxes and the solstices are recognized.

Iceglow
01-16-2011, 11:31 PM

where'd you get that from? Most of the planet's surface doesn't even have 4 seasons, especially not the countries of the ancient peoples where the zodiac originates from

Ok, link to article posted on Agrias' facebook is here. (http://www.dailyhoroscope.com/horoscope-headlines/ophiuchus-the-13th-zodiac-sign)

As for the 4 seasons? Regardless of wet or dry seasons as you are undoubtedbly meaning with that post, Kotora there are still 4 seasons to the year. There will always be a period known as Winter, Spring, Summer or Autumn (or by other names but it will mean the same thing) because it is not determined by weather otherwise we wouldn't have just 2 (wet and dry) there would be dozens to explain the different weather patterns we get. Weather patterns are determined by geography not the Earth's position in relevance to the Sun like seasons. The seasons are exactly 1/4 of a year each why? It's like I just said, they're determined by the orbit of the Earth round the Sun and the spin of Earth upon it's own axis. Hence why when it is summer in the northern hemisphere it is winter in the southern and vice versa.

You could in effect make a week 4 days long, and have a total of 91.3125 weeks in a year and make a month 6 weeks, yet there would still only be 4 seasons, sure each one would cover twice as many months (roughly speaking) but there wouldn't be more seasons just because we decreased the number of days in a week. In fact the human made 7 day week calendar is just that, human made. We could change the calendar so long as we follow the orbit of the Earth round the Sun for a year we'd be fine to change anything else. The seasons are in such a sense a constant in the galaxy because unless the Earth moved further out from the Sun or closer in, our seasons wouldn't change and if that did happen it is likely that the Earth would no longer support life and we could forget about it all in any case. Certainly the chances of this in our lifetime are pretty much non-existent.

So in effect, your comment about season's is just plain wrong, weather patterns are determined by topography, the lie of the land and atmospheric pressure more than anything else. Some places like England are always going to have a pretty predictable pattern involving copious amounts of rain for most of the year. Others like California are pretty much pre-destined to stay dry and sunny because of the same reasons.

All this boils down to meaning, even if we changed the calendar beyond what these ancient cultures who created the Zodiac recognize (which we have btw for reference) their Zodiac would still ring true, there is still only ever going to be 4 seasons each with a beginning, a middle and an end and well unless you're a physicist or an engineer pretty much in standard math 3.00 x 4.00 = 12.00 and that is how many Zodiac signs there are.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2011, 02:34 AM
Cool story, bro.