PDA

View Full Version : PS3 edition news!

Carl the Llama
01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Well I am both pleased and disappointed to announce that the PS3 Edition has been delayed, why am I pleased? because it means that the PS3 edition is not a simple port like others believe, disappointed because its just another delay for my PS3 friends coming to join me.

Thank you for your continued interest in and support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

While more than two months have passed since the official launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that FINAL FANTASY fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies.

After thorough deliberation on how to meet those expectations, it was decided that the most viable step was to approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team.

To realize this vision, and in doing so, provide our customers with a better game experience, we have assembled our company's top talent and resources. Taking over the role of producer and director is Naoki Yoshida, a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority. Not only is he one of our Group's most accomplished and experienced members, Naoki Yoshida is also a charismatic leader possessing the skill to bring together and effectively helm a team which encompasses a wide range of responsibilities. We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We realize time is of the essence and are fully determined to provide our customers with quality service. It is because of this that we ask our customers to be patient until we are able to confidently present them with a concrete plan outlining FINAL FANTASY XIV's new direction. The free trial period will be extended until that time.

Regarding the PlayStation 3, it is not our wish to release a simple conversion of the Windows version in its current state, but rather an update that includes all the improvements we have planned. For that reason, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of the PlayStation 3 version beyond the originally announced date of March 2011.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV team is working hard to bring our customers an unparalleled adventure, and we ask for your continued understanding and support as we march ever diligently towards that goal.

President and CEO, Yoichi Wada

Mirage
01-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Why does it mean that it isn't a port?

Hot Shot
01-15-2011, 03:41 PM
It pretty much is a port just with the updates added to it.

Ouch!
01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
This news is also about a month old.

Given that the game was developed simultaneously for both PS3 and PC, it was never really a port. If anything, everything about the way the game shipped suggested that it was optimized for console use.

At any rate, all he means is that they're holding off on the PS3 version until they have released sufficient version updates to correct the glaring mistakes in the game (or have a satisfactory time table for said updates, maybe).

Carl the Llama
01-15-2011, 04:25 PM
If it was just a port then why would they not just release it with the PC edition?

Mirage
01-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Because porting can take a lot of time, depending on how the game is made. As far as I know, most of the problems they had were related to squeezing huge amounts of data into a tiny amount of RAM, a problem they didn't have with the PC version. This leads me to think that they didn't have the PS3 version in mind as much as they should have had, because they knew perfectly well how much RAM the PS3 has.

Furthermore, another reason why they didn't release the PS3 version along with the PC version, is that they never really released a "complete" product for the PC. This could be explained with S-E not wanting to deliver a disappointing version to their home market (japan), where "everyone" is going to play it on PS3.

nirojan
01-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Well now that they have Final Fantasy Type-0, DuoDecim 012, FF IV-Complete, FF XIII-2 and VERSUS XIII all in the 2011-2012 window (and those are just the Final Fantasy titles), one would think that Square would put out the god damn port for PS3 already! Hope they streamline everything a bit better(was part of the beta, didn't really like the "feel" of it) and make the interface more console friendly, limited buttons SE remember that. Ohh and don't forget a niffty collector's edition!

*Devore*
01-26-2011, 12:05 PM
If they released the PS3 version now, then it would be missing a large number of improvements. I'm no expert on the PS3, but I've heard of downloading game content but not patches and updates for games.

After seeing the scale of all the improvements that they are planning, I can't see FFXIV being released on the PS3 anytime soon. I'm thinking late summer, probably longer.

Ouch!
01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
If they released the PS3 version now, then it would be missing a large number of improvements. I'm no expert on the PS3, but I've heard of downloading game content but not patches and updates for games.

After seeing the scale of all the improvements that they are planning, I can't see FFXIV being released on the PS3 anytime soon. I'm thinking late summer, probably longer.
Of course it's capable of downloading updates and patches. Do you think that they'll release a new disc twice a month for updates once the PS3 version launches? Or every time there's an emergency maintenance. Downloading game content works the exact same way as downloading patches and updates.

I mean, come on, they did it for FFXI with the PS2 almost a decade ago...

Mirage
01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah, tons of games on both the PS3 and XB360 regularly require that you download patches if you want to keep playing online with them. This is a non-issue.