PDA

View Full Version : FF 13 good or bad??

darkknightza
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
If you like speed, it would be in a fight that look fresh, almost as a game action. Non-dramatic, but rarely I much offline.Re: This is an annoying character two sharp swords offline I play too early, I Hope so annoying e almost like playing it offline – -;Mixing girly. Of mental retardation revealed vanilla to this..... Read full Article in My Signature

nirojan
01-16-2011, 10:38 PM
If you like speed, it would be in a fight that look fresh, almost as a game action. Non-dramatic, but rarely I much offline.Re: This is an annoying character two sharp swords offline I play too early, I Hope so annoying e almost like playing it offline – -;Mixing girly. Of mental retardation revealed vanilla to this..... Read full Article in My Signature

wtf are saying bro?

ps. i did not go to the site on your sig....but maan if the grammer's the same I'm glad I didnt!

Project G
01-17-2011, 01:55 AM
I took one look at the trailer and thought that it was alright..... then heard the song playing with it..... Let's just say I left in a rage

Darkswordofchaos
01-17-2011, 06:05 AM
it was a decent game. i thik it was good but not what ff fans were expecting the tried to pander to a diffrent audiance and forgot there true fans along the way.

Project G
01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Wait.... Didn't they do that with X-2?

BG-57
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
It was good but not great. As a stand alone game I might have enjoyed it more but I was mentally comparing it to the previous 12 games in the series and it fell far short of the best of them.

They spent too much time on making it gorgeous when they could have improved the story and characters. The heros themselves ranged from great to annoying, but that's par for the course.

It gets a lot of grief over the linearity, especially compared to the open world of FFXII. It's not to my taste, but it didn't bother me too much. At least Gran Pulse gives you a welcome oppurtunity to explore.

For me the worst part is the way the game restricts player choices until the 11th hour when it slowly lets you make your own decisions about party composition and paradigm setups.

Bolivar
01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
To me, Final Fantasy XII stood up well as an RPG, but not so much as a Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy XIII stood up well as a video game, but not so much as an RPG. I like control in my RPG's, and even the character progression system was linear. Despite being disappointed with it as a representative of the genre, I did like the characters, I did enjoy the combat, the music was very good and awesome at times, and I enjoyed running through the levels which were very interesting for the most part.

DMKA
01-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Good.

I agree with Bolivar for the most part, and his post brings something to my attention. I throughly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, both as an RPG and as a video game...but why are there two perspectives here? Why is there a whole different set of standards suddenly that need to be met or the game is written off as crap just because the developer lables it as "RPG" or "JRPG"?

The number one chief complaint everyone has about Final Fantasy XIII is it's linearity...but while people complain about the linear nature of the game, I hear nothing but constant praise for games like Uncharted and God of War which are even more linear and give you even less freedom. At least there is finally a point in Final Fantasy XIII where you do get to roam around freely and do some side stuff (certainly no where near enough compared to past FF games, mind you) but those other games never do.

I am only able to conclude that nostalgia goggles are the culprit.

VeloZer0
01-22-2011, 01:05 AM
A lot of people are complaining about things other than linearity. The linearity didn't bother me at all, but a whole bunch of other things about the title did.

DMKA
01-22-2011, 04:45 AM
A lot of people are complaining about things other than linearity. The linearity didn't bother me at all, but a whole bunch of other things about the title did.

Such as?

The fact that if leader dies you die? Oh, same in those other games.

The fact that you only get to control one character? Oh, same in those other games.

Repetitive combat? Oh, same as those other games.

No back tracking? Oh, same as those other games.

No overworld map or airships? Oh, same as those other games.

The fact that there is nothing to do outside the main story for the majority of the game, there is almost no variation on how you develop, and overall everyone who plays it gets the same experience? Oh, same as those other games.

It's okay if people don't like the game, but I'm sick and tired of people saying all these things make FFXIII a bad game while these things are just fine in other games.

Del Murder
01-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Oh look, here's a topic that's fresh and hasn't been probed at all: whether people liked or disliked FFXIII. :roll2

Anyway, I found FFXIII enjoyable. I played through it once, beat it, and moved on. It was not what I expected from a Final Fantasy title and it did not leave the lasting impression that was left by others in this series, but as a game it was fun. As DMKA and others have alluded to, it has as much in common with Final Fantasy as it does with games like God of War and Uncharted, though I don't think FFXIII is as good as a game like Uncharted 2. Ok, maybe it has a little more in common with FF than those games but you could tell it was definitely in that direction that SE was going for with this game. I felt that was a mistake, but it didn't stop FFXIII from being fun as a game. As an entry in this historic series I do think it was a disappointment.

Hot Shot
01-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Such as?

The fact that you only get to control one character? Oh, same in those other games.

The fact that there is nothing to do outside the main story for the majority of the game, there is almost no variation on how you develop, and overall everyone who plays it gets the same experience? Oh, same as those other games.

It's okay if people don't like the game, but I'm sick and tired of people saying all these things make FFXIII a bad game while these things are just fine in other games.

Good point, but Final Fantasy fans expect something more from the games. As far as I'm concerned, they set the standards for other RPGs because they are the best around imo. But I do agree with you, it was a fun game, but it doesn't compare to other FF titles where you feel fully engaged in the game and it had so much depth (mini games, sidequests, interesting battle system etc).

VeloZer0
01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
The points I was trying to make was that there are reasons to not like this game other than the unfair knee jerk ones (which incidentally are all ones you proceded to list). And I'm not sure what 'those other games' you are referring to are.

As stated bellow, I did not have a problem with the linearity. The other issues that you listed are things I feel diminish the game, but only have a marginal effect on the whole package.

FF13 was boiled down to two elements, story and combat. This is a design decision, and something you know before you go in. My issue is in the implementation of both. I feel the story was exceptionally weak for a FF title, and that though the combat was adequate it is nowhere near carrying the game in the absence of a quality story.

Skyblade
01-22-2011, 07:23 PM

Such as?

Maybe because different people like different games? As in, people who played and loved the previous FF games are not necessarily the same people who love Gears of War? I mean, I've never played Gears of War, so naturally I wouldn't waste time complaining about it. And I have had friends who are fans of, say, Gears of War or Castlevania, who have played FFs and complained about all those things that we take for granted in the series, and the things we enjoy about them. As in, exploration, slow pacing, a focus on character development, the entire existence of towns...

Personally, my biggest gripe with the game was that it felt empty. The characters were fun, but we only got a dozen. There are more Cie'th Stones than there were random NPCs, and the Cie'th Stones had more dialogue. I cared nothing for Pulse or Cocoon. It was nothing but a barren, lifeless wasteland.

dayrinni
01-23-2011, 05:30 AM

Such as?

Maybe because different people like different games? As in, people who played and loved the previous FF games are not necessarily the same people who love Gears of War? I mean, I've never played Gears of War, so naturally I wouldn't waste time complaining about it. And I have had friends who are fans of, say, Gears of War or Castlevania, who have played FFs and complained about all those things that we take for granted in the series, and the things we enjoy about them. As in, exploration, slow pacing, a focus on character development, the entire existence of towns...

Personally, my biggest gripe with the game was that it felt empty. The characters were fun, but we only got a dozen. There are more Cie'th Stones than there were random NPCs, and the Cie'th Stones had more dialogue. I cared nothing for Pulse or Cocoon. It was nothing but a barren, lifeless wasteland.

I must say I agree with you on the lifeless comments. I remember looking at the absolutely beautiful locations. I mean, they were amazing to me. It was my first time using my PS3 so I was pretty blown away by the technology. Anyways, after that wore off, I thought to myself: "Man there is absolutely nothing to do in these cool places. There seems to be no purpose to any of these places other than moving to the next plot point." It made me sad. But I kept playing because I wanted to beat it. It got a lot better later on but still, meh.