PDA

View Full Version : Terrible advertising (Dead Space 2)

Yeargdribble
01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
YouTube - Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2 Behind-the-Scenes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri8LFci4xQ)

I'm not sure what demographic this is supposed to be aimed at. This game is (or should be) aimed at an audience for whom maternal approve is a non-issue. It's cute and clever, but the add is extremely juvenile. It suggests that it's aimed at people who a) care what their mothers thing b) want to upset their mothers. It's a lose-lose from my point of view. They are giving ammo to those who think games are terrible stuff aimed at kids.

It's an M rated game. Kids shouldn't be able to buy it. Anyone who is able to buy it should be adult enough to not think it's cool to upset their moms.

VeloZer0
01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
If it is appropriate for them to buy it or not is so far beyond the concern of most marketing boards it isn't even funny.

DMKA
01-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Nonsense, it's clearly aimed at adult dudes who still live with mom; the average gamer, you know? *RIMSHOT*

I dunno, I think it's one of the more amusing game ads I've seen in...well ever. Technically you're right but I don't think many people (the people who made the commercial included) are going to look far enough beyond the surface to care about it.

It would of been a far better commercial for the pre-ESRB days.

Madame Adequate
01-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Never had any interest in Dead Space, but this commercial makes me interested in DS2.

NorthernChaosGod
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Never had any interest in Dead Space, but this commercial makes me interested in DS2.

Lol. I actually kind of want to check out this game now.

JKTrix
01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
It's amusing, but I have a bigger personal issue with how they've cheapened the game with this. Sure, it would get people interested (already evidenced in this thread), but the original game was a lot more than just the gore. I hope it's not an indication that they've altered the feel of the 2nd game to be more 'dudebro'.

Meat Puppet
01-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Her heart is breaking? What is she some evil space mutant or something

p.s. my mom likes Dead Space

Yeargdribble
01-16-2011, 11:25 PM
It's amusing, but I have a bigger personal issue with how they've cheapened the game with this. Sure, it would get people interested (already evidenced in this thread), but the original game was a lot more than just the gore. I hope it's not an indication that they've altered the feel of the 2nd game to be more 'dudebro'.

These were my thoughts. My wife and me loved the first game for the atmosphere and story.... not because it was cringe-inducingly disgusting and violent. This add plays to the lowest common denominator and does a disservice to that.

So for those who are suddenly turned onto the game because of this commercial... why? Is it a rebellious thing liking something that makes other people uncomfortable. Is it just the straight up violence and gore? What is happening psychologically that makes you suddenly interested where you otherwise would not have been.

Iceglow
01-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Thing that makes this advert useless in the uk is simple. Dead Space 2 will be undoubtedbly rated 18 by the BBFC which means anyone younger than that age legally cannot buy the game. hahaha.

Dreddz
01-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Sure, it would get people interested (already evidenced in this thread), but the original game was a lot more than just the gore. I hope it's not an indication that they've altered the feel of the 2nd game to be more 'dudebro'.
I think your giving the original game more credit then it deserves. It tried to be a lot of things but ultimately it was only the gore that they nailed. I found the game quite boring after a while.

As for the clips, they just seem like a group of workers at EA had a lot of time on their hands. What people just seem to forget is that games like Dead Space are aimed at kids. No matter what rating gets slapped on the box EA knows its the 13 year old crowd that'll want the game the most. Why not aim the advertising at them? Stupid not to.

JKTrix
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
I think it deserves some credit. I was careful not to put too much into what I thought about the game because I never finished it myself (I do not enjoy 'persistent tension' games--horror or whatever). It did some clever things to make it more than a juvenile gore fest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-UGc9zq_rA) (like 'The Chapter Titles Are A Spoilery Acronym'), but the ad brings it down to that level.

EA should have saved this kind of ad for Bulletstorm, which comes out but a month later.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2011, 02:29 AM

These were my thoughts. My wife and me loved the first game for the atmosphere and story.... not because it was cringe-inducingly disgusting and violent. This add plays to the lowest common denominator and does a disservice to that.

So for those who are suddenly turned onto the game because of this commercial... why? Is it a rebellious thing liking something that makes other people uncomfortable. Is it just the straight up violence and gore? What is happening psychologically that makes you suddenly interested where you otherwise would not have been.

To me, the advert at least seems a bit tongue-in-cheek. I had also only heard about the first game in passing and this one looks at least somewhat interesting at first glance.

DMKA
01-17-2011, 03:56 AM

Are you seriously denying that the original Dead Space was gratuitously violent and chock-full of disgusting imagery, just as much if not moreso than the footage of Dead Space 2 that's been released? If so, you didn't play the same Dead Space with puking aliens, constant dismemberment, mutated bleeding fetuses and veiled masses of headshot'd corpses scattered about that I did.

I feel sorry for anyone who allows a silly ad to form their opinion of a game. Before it's been released none the less.

Depression Moon
01-18-2011, 08:28 PM
^He just said that he loved the game primarily for its atmosphere and story and not the violence.

I saw that commercial for the first time yesterday and it was so corny. I can't believe they actually named the official Dead Space 2 website that.

Shattered Dreamer
01-19-2011, 12:20 AM
The advert we got here is just gameplay footage set to The Smashing Pumpkins song Bullet With Butterfly Wings. Awesome song :bigsmile:

I download the demo from from the Playstation Store and thought it was pretty good!

McLovin'
01-20-2011, 07:20 AM
This advert was genius. It got me to stop what I was doing and watch the damn ad and so it definitely succeeded. Doesn't mean I'm gonna go buy the game, though, like a mindless drone!

Jiro
01-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I found the advert painful to watch. I'm sure it'll be effective but a standard trailer would've piqued my interest the same.

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
I just took everyone's word for it that it was horrible but it came on TV and ugh. Totally squashed what little interest I had. It's either trying to sell their M-rated game to children, or insinuating that every gamer over the age of 18 still lives with their mom and eats hot pockets all day.

Depression Moon
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey now, Hot Pockets are good.

NorthernChaosGod
01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I think everyone is taking the advert much too seriously. :p

Rostum
01-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Well... we're all talking about it? So it has to have worked on some level. :p

Depression Moon
01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
I just actually looked at the video posted and it's different from the commercial on TV.

McLovin'
01-21-2011, 03:27 AM
lol the actual trailer on tv isn't like the video posted at all.

Jiro
01-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Does anyone have a link to the actual TV trailer then?

Bolivar
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Anyone who's remotely followed Dead Space 2 knows it's anything but a dilution to make the series more "bro-friendly." The story is more psychological, and the game is filled with (sigh)... set-pieces to WOW the player.

The multiplayer is actually kind of disgusting but it takes a tremendous amount of teamwork to succeed. I'm fairly sure it will not be for everyone, but I was very impressed with that.

Mirage
01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I haven't lived with my parents for nearly 10 years and I don't really feel a need to do things my mom would disapprove of. I do however find these commercials pretty amusing, probably becasue i'm reminded of how my mother actually was, and how much I disagreed with her. She's the type who hates all sorts of violence as entertainment and would get worked up over something as little as having a toy gun pointed at her.

I think the one with the black lady was the best, especially in the cut they actually used in TV ads. Your mom is gonna medium disapprove of dead space 2!

In fact, I sort of want to play the first game now. I actually had no idea of what kind of game it was until now. I thought It was just another generic space shooter.

Besides, I don't have a lot of games that would challenge the new video card I just got.

Loony BoB
01-21-2011, 09:14 PM
All I have to say is that I'm disappointed.

Firstly, I would have loved to see at least one think it was great. Just to add a twist to the ad.

Secondly, I searched for "Your Mom Loves Dead Space 2" on YouTube and got no relevant results. Not one. Do you have any idea how disappointed I am in YouTube video makers right now? I'm really, really disappointed.

Old Manus
01-21-2011, 09:23 PM
'dudebro'.This is my new favourite word.