PDA

View Full Version : I think I will pass out...

Shiny
01-17-2011, 03:50 AM
if The Social Network wins a Golden Globe for Best Film. :eep:

Anyone else watching or following the Golden Globes right now? It's not on my tele, by the winners so far are up on IMDb. I'm not at all surprised by The Social Network winning best screenplay, but please just no on Best Film. This Golden Globes has been good so far though. People have won that I wanted to win:

Benning - Kids Are Alright
Portman - Black Swan
Lynch - Glee
Toy Story 3 - Best Animated Film
Bale - The Fighter

No surprises there.

What do you think the was the biggest surprise so far? Or if you read this after all the winners are announced, what were the biggest upsets? What was the most shocking win for you? Most predictable win? Who do/did you want to win?

Clo
01-17-2011, 04:52 AM
So... have you come to yet?

Because it won.

I watched the end of it. What film did you want to win Best Motion Picture?

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2011, 05:13 AM
What's wrong with it winning? I liked that movie.

Bunny
01-17-2011, 05:16 AM

The other four movies were considerably better.

Shiny
01-17-2011, 05:59 AM
So... have you come to yet?

Because it won.

I watched the end of it. What film did you want to win Best Motion Picture?

I'm in a state of half-consciousness right now. I would have liked to see Black Swan win it. I haven't seen The King's Speech yet, but the rest of the movies were definitely better than The Social Network. It wasn't a bad film, but I mean goddamn.

Very happy to see Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross winning for the Best Soundtrack (The Social Network) though. I loved what Ross did for the Book of Eli. Though I was surprised that Clint Mansell wasn't nominated. You can never go wrong with Tchaikovsky.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2011, 06:30 AM

The other four movies were considerably better.

What were the other movies?

Bunny
01-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Black Swan, The Fighter, The King's Speech and Inception.

charliepanayi
01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
No real surprises in the major categories - and The Social Network deserves every big prize going (though I haven't seen Black Swan yet). At the Oscars I'd say Best Film is pretty much between The Social Network, The King's Speech and True Grit anyway.

blackmage_nuke
01-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Did inception win anything? thats the best movie this year in my opinion

charliepanayi
01-17-2011, 12:09 PM
No it was blanked at the Golden Globes.

kotora
01-18-2011, 01:51 AM
It's hardly award bait compared to the other movies.

Seraphic
01-18-2011, 05:07 AM
I was pretty surprised that Laura Linney beat out such heavyweight actresses like Tina Fey,Edie Falco and Toni Collette for best actress in a comedy series, especially since The Big C was so under the radar this past season.
Everything else was pretty predictable.
I think despite the other movies being overall better films, the movie that usually gets the top award is one that defines the times.
The Social Network is a movie that speaks of our culture of globalization and fast-paced way of living and thus will most likely be a shoe-in for the Oscars.

Del Murder
01-18-2011, 06:13 AM
I would have liked to see Inception win over The Social Network. Also I'm not sure why the director won for that movie over Christopher Nolan. I thought Aaron Sorkin was the one most responsible for that movie since the movie was mostly dialogue and it was his dialogue. Any decent director could have put together the same movie, but only Nolan could have created the truly innovative experience that was Inception.

Also, Glee? Wtf HFP. Season 2 of Glee has got to be one of the biggest disappointments on TV. Or was the award for the first season? Anyway, Modern Family is better regardless. Their gays are better than Kurt, too. I want to ring Kurt's neck sometimes.

Ouch!
01-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Inception was fun to watch, but I'd be hard pressed to say that it was a better movie than The Social Network. Everything about it was big, bombastic and entertaining, but that was pretty thin disguise for some pretty big plot holes. It's interesting in context of being a movie about making movies, but beyond that I wouldn't go so far as to say that it necessarily deserves particular recognition for anything other than maybe some technical awards (the choreography and construction of the zero gravity fisticuffs was pretty stellar).

All that said, I've yet to see some of the other runners for best movie, but I thought that the Social Network was damned fantastic. I'll be seeing most of the other ones (unfortunately not The King's Speech) when they hit the theater on campus this semester, but right now I don't know how the Social Network stacks up against them. But given the choice between it and Inception? Come on.

Miriel
01-18-2011, 07:42 AM
I was pretty surprised that Laura Linney beat out such heavyweight actresses like Tina Fey,Edie Falco and Toni Collette for best actress in a comedy series, especially since The Big C was so under the radar this past season.
I think despite the other movies being overall better films, the movie that usually gets the top award is one that defines the times.
The Social Network is a movie that speaks of our culture of globalization and fast-paced way of living and thus will most likely be a shoe-in for the Oscars.

Edit Falco is unbelievably good in Nurse Jackie, but her role isn't comedic. AT ALL. It's so far into the drama category that it's insane that they stuck her in Comedy. Laura Linney was lovely in the Big C though. The only I watched the show was for her.

I pretty much loathe what Glee has become and the fact that the show won over Modern Family is pretty gross to me. But Kurt's speech was kinda adorable, so I can't hate too much.

Inception > Social Network

I feel like Social Network was a very very manicured, polished film. Very well made. But I do think that when judging for the Best Picture, enjoyment/fun should be a factor. It shouldn't be the only criteria, but it should be a factor. And god damn, Inception was so much fun to watch.

I like Toy Story 3, Inception, and Black Swan better than Social Network. And given that I adore Colin Firth, I'm pretty sure I'd like King's Speech better too. Toy Story 3 is like a sucker punch of the gut in terms of how much it will make you laugh and cry. Black Swan made my knuckles white, I was gripping my sweater over half my face and eyes in terror. And Inception just reminded me so much of how amazing a movie going experience can really be. Social Network was just way too stiff for me to enjoy all that much.

But I know people who were completely riveted by The Social Network, so I guess it's all just preference.

Seraphic
01-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Edit Falco is unbelievably good in Nurse Jackie, but her role isn't comedic. AT ALL. It's so far into the drama category that it's insane that they stuck her in Comedy. Laura Linney was lovely in the Big C though. The only I watched the show was for her.

I pretty much loathe what Glee has become and the fact that the show won over Modern Family is pretty gross to me. But Kurt's speech was kinda adorable, so I can't hate too much.

Inception > Social Network

I totally agree with you on her role not being comedic in the same sense as the others are funny,but I still find her Nurse Jackie rather humorous ;3, although definitely way more drama than humor.
But really? Tina Fey too?
I didn't finish watching The Big C but I guess I have to get around to it now,lol.
And I didn't want to say it and come off as a complete hater as I normally do in the Glee thread but you guys said it for me;Chris Colfer really did not deserve that award. The show is just a shadow of its former self which is pretty said since its in the middle of its second season.
But as I said with The Social Network, situational convenience,aka the correlation with the gay teen bullying, will win over something more deserving in these award shows.
And for further reiteration, Inception > All.

charliepanayi
01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
I enjoyed David Fincher's direction in The Social Network, but I think the main reason why he's likely to win Best Director is because like a lot of actors and directors in the past (Pacino, Scorcese, Jeff Bridges) it's seen as his turn after being ignored so often in the past.

As for Christopher Nolan, I suspect he's like Steven Spielberg, he'll need to direct a very serious film about the Holocaust or something before he gets any Best Director Oscar. Though at least he's not been as robbed as Spielberg was in the 80s (beaten by Warren Beatty? Richard Attenborough?!).

blackmage_nuke
01-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Inception was fun to watch, but I'd be hard pressed to say that it was a better movie than The Social Network. Everything about it was big, bombastic and entertaining, but that was pretty thin disguise for some pretty big plot holes.

I cant think of any plotholes in Inception that cant be properly explained. Give me some examples.

Ouch!
01-19-2011, 01:05 AM
The most glaring example of all: why is anyone afraid of falling into Limbo if all you have to do to get out is kill yourself again? It's how they got out the first time with the train, and it's how they (presumably) get out in the end. If you can just die in Limbo, what's the problem?

Miriel
01-19-2011, 01:18 AM
The most glaring example of all: why is anyone afraid of falling into Limbo if all you have to do to get out is kill yourself again? It's how they got out the first time with the train, and it's how they (presumably) get out in the end. If you can just die in Limbo, what's the problem?

The reason why Limbo is so dangerous is that once you're in Limbo (the deepest part of the subconscious that anyone can go) you start to lose your understanding of real vs. subconscious. Meaning that people can get lost in Limbo and spend decades in there and eventually come to accept Limbo as reality.

They made this really clear in the film, I dunno how it can be considered a plot hole!

Shiny
01-19-2011, 01:36 AM
I enjoyed David Fincher's direction in The Social Network, but I think the main reason why he's likely to win Best Director is because like a lot of actors and directors in the past (Pacino, Scorcese, Jeff Bridges) it's seen as his turn after being ignored so often in the past.

As for Christopher Nolan, I suspect he's like Steven Spielberg, he'll need to direct a very serious film about the Holocaust or something before he gets any Best Director Oscar. Though at least he's not been as robbed as Spielberg was in the 80s (beaten by Warren Beatty? Richard Attenborough?!).
I don't think that's why at all. If anything it's because of what Seraphic was saying. The Hurt Locker and The Social Network are more about what's happening now in society than anything and both of them won best director and best film. If they were to go by the way you're saying they vote, then someone like Darren should win. He's been snubbed for Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler and now Black Swan. I can't actually think of many titles that were amazing that Fincher has done aside from Se7ven and Fight Club.

Nolan is not Steven Spielberg. He's directed films like Memento. And even some of his more action driven films have intellectual themes. Cameron = Spielberg = Lucas

blackmage_nuke
01-19-2011, 04:17 AM

The reason why Limbo is so dangerous is that once you're in Limbo (the deepest part of the subconscious that anyone can go) you start to lose your understanding of real vs. subconscious. Meaning that people can get lost in Limbo and spend decades in there and eventually come to accept Limbo as reality.

They made this really clear in the film, I dunno how it can be considered a plot hole!

Yes, pretty much it's very hard for a person to realise they are in Limbo. Thats why Cobb, Mal and Saito are so old, since it takes ages to realise it. And even if you are well trained enough to realise it like Mal you might deny it to yourself since Limbo is pretty much a paradise you make for yourself.

charliepanayi
01-19-2011, 09:11 AM

I don't think that's why at all. If anything it's because of what Seraphic was saying. The Hurt Locker and The Social Network are more about what's happening now in society than anything and both of them won best director and best film. If they were to go by the way you're saying they vote, then someone like Darren should win. He's been snubbed for Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler and now Black Swan. I can't actually think of many titles that were amazing that Fincher has done aside from Se7ven and Fight Club.

Nolan is not Steven Spielberg. He's directed films like Memento. And even some of his more action driven films have intellectual themes. Cameron = Spielberg = Lucas

Fincher also did Zodiac and was nominated for Benjamin Button (as horribly Oscar bait as that was), he's very highly regarded as a director and so the success of The Social Network is a good excuse to reward him for his career to date. Aaronofsky is also highly regarded, but at a far more cult level, he's only now starting to get much wider recognition, which Fincher has had for years - and The Fountain wasn't exactly snubbed for anything, it was a critical and commercial bomb.

And my point about Nolan is that after The Dark Knight and Inception many in the Academy will now (unfairly) see him as a popcorn peddler rather than a SERIOUS FILM MAKER (Oscars love these), just like Spielberg was seen in the early 80s. Yes, Nolan's films are very different to say Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T. but Academy voters are a bit dim and sometimes just see the box office figures and the action components of a film.

Miriel
01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Fincher did Benjamin Button? Oh man, that was awful movie.

Shiny
01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Ditto. That movie blew hard and so did Zodiac.

charliepanayi
01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey, slate Benjamin Button all you want but Zodiac was great!

Miriel
01-22-2011, 04:57 AM
I watched King's Speech and really enjoyed it. Colin Firth was fabulous, but I'm surprised that Geoffrey Rush hasn't been getting the same level of praise because I thought he was absolutely amazing in this film. The scenes with both Firth and Rush are just magical. What an excellent partnership between the two.

It's one of those rare movies that when it's over, you wish there was more. I could watch hours and hours of footage of these actors. What a crazy talented cast this film had.

charliepanayi
01-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Geoffrey Rush is excellent (as usual) and has been unfairly overlooked. He has the misfortune to be co-starring with someone who puts in an equally good performance and ticks all the awards boxes (royalty, plus a stammer!) to boot. See also: Tom Cruise in Rain Man.