PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts 3D

Ouch!
01-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Dream. Drop. Distance.

Trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbuM89wfZeQ&feature=player_embedded)

Del Murder
01-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Looks cool. Too bad I can't speak Japanese.

So is this a true sequel to KH2 or is it another side story?

LowCaloriePie
01-19-2011, 03:00 AM
I'd like to say this game is supposed to be their Master Qualification Exam thingy. Aside from the God awful title, the game looks pretty solid.

Ouch!
01-19-2011, 04:12 AM
I'd like to say this game is supposed to be their Master Qualification Exam thingy. Aside from the God awful title, the game looks pretty solid.
That's exactly what Yen Sid says in his brief line in the trailer. It is discussed in greater depth in the secret ending to Re: Coded.

Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] takes place immediately after Kingdom Hearts 2. Nomura has called it the "prologue" to Kingdom Hearts 3. The title would seem to suggest that Sora and Riku are in some kind of dream during the game, which I suppose would explain why they're back to their younger appearances. At this point, it's probably a reasonable assumption that it is somehow part of their Master Qualification Exam.

Radiant Garden and Traverse Town are confirmed worlds, however no previously used Kingdom Hearts worlds will apparently appear in the title. Nomura has also confirmed that the bell tower from which Sora jumps in the trailer is from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the first of the confirmed Disney worlds to be making an appearance in the game.

Del Murder
01-19-2011, 04:34 AM
All new worlds? Awesome!

It's good to see them finally progressing the story after KH2, if only a little bit (since I don't expect much to happen if the game takes place in a dream).

Rostum
01-19-2011, 05:56 AM
I think the other side games really progress the over-arching story and are all adding up to a pretty big outcome for KH3.

blackmage_nuke
01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Here it is with subtitles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6rSwB2MdUE)

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
I will never purchase anything with a title that ends in 3D :|

Rostum
01-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Would you like some cries with that?

*Devore*
01-21-2011, 12:07 AM
The combat system looks pretty cool, jumping off walls and swinging off poles would be pretty fun.

Damn it, yet another reason to buy a DS which I really can't afford. Why Nomura, why do you do this to me. Just bring them all out on the PS3 or PSP.

Del Murder
01-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Interesting that the last 4 KH games are for handhelds, and 3 for DS... I want a PS3 Kingdom Hearts!

Depression Moon
01-21-2011, 01:04 AM
You know Square isn't making smart decisions lately. Who knows when we'll get KHIII.

I've grown tired of all these spin offs. It's been Re:Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Birth by Sleep, Re:coded, and now this. Let's not also forget the Japan only KHII Final Mix, Coded, and Birth by Sleep Final Mix. That gives us a total of 7 1/2 spinoffs.

Rostum
01-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Interesting that the last 4 KH games are for handhelds, and 3 for DS... I want a PS3 Kingdom Hearts!

I think the reason for it is that the main Kingdom Hearts team that do the numbered titles have been busy with FFXIII Versus and the handheld ones have been done by a different team (with Nomura overseeing them as well).

I mean, these games really add to the overarching story of the series so they are definitely worth playing if you can play them. Especially Birth By Sleep. But I can understand wanting a larger title on a PS3 - I definitely am aching for it.

Depression Moon
01-21-2011, 01:59 AM
From what I read 352/8 Days and Re:coded add nothing.

Ouch!
01-21-2011, 02:08 AM
358/2 Days fleshes out the story of how Roxas came to be where we found him at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II. It also introduced the Chamber of Repose and the Chamber of Awakening to North American audiences (previously only Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ had referred to them). It's a fair guess at this point that the search for the Chamber of Repose within Castle Oblivion will be a fairly important part of Kingdom Hearts III. Further, it introduced Xion, who, from what little I have heard about Re:coded may be important in some manner. I admittedly do not know much about Re:coded, so I cannot justify it.

While 358/2 Days was hardly as integral to the plot as was Birth by Sleep or Chain of Memories, I've begun to develop some faith that each of the titles does play a role in the continuity of the series. I was concerned with all the loose ends Kingdom Hearts II left untied, and so far each of the titles has done a remarkable job of explaining those loose ends and tying them up. I have faith that Kingdom Hearts III will be a satisfying conclusion to the series that will bring everything together.

I can understand the frustration that the series spans so many different platforms, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I enjoyed each and everyone one of them to bits so far. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was by far my least favorite, but the last few hours of game play were so absolutely wonderful and tied in with the prologue of Kingdom Hearts II so well that I couldn't really say that I'd advise just skipping it.

Jessweeee♪
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM

Would you like some cries with that?

And a banana chocolate shake :colbert:

McLovin'
01-22-2011, 08:07 AM
GAAAAH! Why can't they stick to the PSP!!! Anyways, hope they release a cinematic trailer for this one soon.

Ouch!
01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
GAAAAH! Why can't they stick to the PSP!!! Anyways, hope they release a cinematic trailer for this one soon.
Because the PSP doesn't have the additional "print money" feature that makes the DS so popular among developers, I'd imagine.

Del Murder
01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
I keep meaning to buy that money printer accessory for my DS.

Ouch!
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
I keep meaning to buy that money printer accessory for my DS.
You'll have to mod the hell out of your DS for it to work, I bet. I hear it's a JP ONRY accessory.

ljkkjlcm9
01-24-2011, 03:10 PM
3D huh
Dream (1) Drop (2) Distance (3)

yep, 3 D's it is

THE JACKEL

Hollycat
01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
stupid ds. hardcore gamers use psp

Fynn
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Beat Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and talk to me again, boy.

Anyway, the game looks amazing. Though I think it's kinda cheap they reused Sora and Riku's previous models, but on the other hand it's great that there will be no old Disney worlds :) Hoping for and Atlantis world.

ShinGundam
01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
ALL HAIL PSP2

Hollycat
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
ALL HAIL WHAT HE SAID, ESPECIALLY WITH ITS RUMORED ABILITY TO PLAY PS2 GAMES

Fynn
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
:roll2

Dr.M
01-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Kingdom Hearts 3D will have new Disney worlds | Gamertell (http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comment/kingdom-hearts-3d-will-have-new-disney-worlds/)

NEW WORLDS :D

Hot Shot
01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll probably play this in ten years time. I'm not willing to fork out a load of money for a 3DS anytime soon. I've got more important things to buy. And besides I just want to play KH3 on a CONSOLE, I'm sick of these handheld ones. But I must admit, it looks kinda cool.

Wolf Kanno
02-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Sweet, I was wondering if these two were ever going to take the Mastery test.

Gameplay looks solid and fun and haters quit bitching, the handheld titles have been far superior to the console entries in terms of story. KH2 plot gets more inadequate with each new entry that comes out. Besides, until Versus XIII comes out, there will be no KHIII so stop whining about it. KHIII will probably be slated for a next gen system by that time anyway...

Besides, its not like the DS and PSP don't have a couple dozen other titles that are worth playing on them. Hell, I wasn't even thinking about picking this game up for the 3DS but the trailer sold me on the idea.

Depression Moon: Beside what Ouch! mentioned, 358/2 fleshes out Roxas, Axel and several other members of Org. XIII and considering the ending to KH:coded and the secret ending to BBS, it's obvious that Roxas, Xion, and Axel may be returning in some capacity in a future title (probably this new entry) it also just had a pretty damn heart wrenching plot and that's saying something coming from me who doesn't usually give a damn. :p

coded, also sets the stage for KH3D as the game makes King Mickey aware of the existence of several characters who are unknown to the main cast, namely Xion and the three Keyblade Wielders of BBS, as well as making Mickey slightly aware of the events of CoM since part of it was screwed up thanks to Namine and Diz. The whole game is being set up like a long prologue for the eventual KH3 which will most likely be Sora fighting to free the former characters and stopping Master Xehanort for good. That's if Nomura doesn't get sidetracked and decides to make games based during the Keyblade War before then.

Jessweeee♪
02-06-2011, 06:36 AM
For me 358/2 changed the prologue of KHII forever. I just can't look at it the same way again. I liked it already, but it's definitely my favorite part of the game now. But if you're one of those people that wishes Roxas would just go away forever, then yeah skip it I guess.

nirojan
02-11-2011, 01:57 AM

Why in god's name are you defending the DS as being a hardcore gaming device. It's obviously a casual handheld (Nintendo even advertises it as such) and the VAST MAJORITY of the games that get released on it are just plain shovelware. And don't bring SMT into a (PSP vs DS) fight, because we're getting all the Persona titles! Not to mention the swathe of hardcore RPGs. So yes, PSP is very much more of harcore gaming device than the DS will ever be, BOY!! lol sorry, it was too tempting.

Anyways, back onto the topic. With Disney's Acquisition of Marvel I fully expect the Marvel universe to make an appearance in Dream Drop Distance. Buena Vista Games (Disney Interactive) have already stated interest in expanding it's licenses in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. I wanna see spiderman and Sora take down Green goblin. OMG just thought of a 3way fight between Cloud+Wolverine+Sephiroth! possibilies are bursting through my head. Nomura if not for 3D, make it happen for KHIII!

Wolf Kanno
02-11-2011, 04:33 AM

Why in god's name are you defending the DS as being a hardcore gaming device. It's obviously a casual handheld (Nintendo even advertises it as such) and the VAST MAJORITY of the games that get released on it are just plain shovelware. And don't bring SMT into a (PSP vs DS) fight, because we're getting all the Persona titles! Not to mention the swathe of hardcore RPGs. So yes, PSP is very much more of harcore gaming device than the DS will ever be, BOY!! lol sorry, it was too tempting.

You got a port of the crappy entry in the series, a port/remake of the most popular entry and Japan has P2 to look forward to, which is also a port, but seeing how the 3DS is suppose to have an untitled Persona game in the works, I wonder about exclusivity.

The DS on the other hand got Strange Journey or as it's actually known Shin Megami Tensei IV: Strange Journey. The fourth main entry in the flagship series. Not to mention it got DQIX which is also a flagship series and a main entry for it. The DS really has a better RPG record than pretty much all of the consoles and the PSP and that's not even counting the titles that don't get to leave Japan.

Sorry, it was too tempting... ;)

[Anyways, back onto the topic. With Disney's Acquisition of Marvel I fully expect the Marvel universe to make an appearance in Dream Drop Distance. Buena Vista Games (Disney Interactive) have already stated interest in expanding it's licenses in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. I wanna see spiderman and Sora take down Green goblin. OMG just thought of a 3way fight between Cloud+Wolverine+Sephiroth! possibilies are bursting through my head. Nomura if not for 3D, make it happen for KHIII!

No... in fact HELL NO! I'm even a Marvel fan and I don't want to see this. Let's not let Marvel drags it's name in the mud any further. Let them stay with Capcom where they belong.

ShinGundam
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
You got a port of the crappy entry in the series, a port/remake of the most popular entry and Japan has P2 to look forward to, which is also a port, but seeing how the 3DS is suppose to have an untitled Persona game in the works, I wonder about exclusivity.

There isn't any substantial content on these ports. No matter how I look at it, Atlus takes all the blame not the PSP. Take a look at Devil Survivor 3DS, a game will be sold at full price yet players can play it via BC.

Fynn
02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Wolf Kanno just defended my point of view, but I'll throw in my two cents in anyway ;)

While I am a proud owner of both the PSP and the DS, and I friggin' love both, the PSP is yet to give me a challenging RPG which is not a remake. When it comes to hardcore, punishing RPGs that give me a greater challenge, the DS wins hands down. Though I have to agree, most of the games on that system are casual games, which is not a bad thing, since I love those, too (Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is just. plain. awesome). What might be considered more "hardcore" on the PSP is the oerall "grittiness" of the games on that system. On the gameplay side, though, I feel the DS wins (though Your Mileage May Vary on that one, BOY!) :D

On topic, I'm dying to see more gameplay scenes from 3D. I thought the BBS system looked superb, but this is just jaw-dropping. But considering the nature of the setting (as in dreams), it was to be expected. I just loved "Inception", so hoping the gameplay mechanics can abuse the "dream" theme to its fullest.

EDIT: PS, the Persona titles are actually the more casual entries in the SMT metaseries, I would think. I never had any problem with those, while Strange Journey is just so punishing it's unfair. Actually, none of the side games (Digidal Devil Saga, Raidou Kuzunoha, etc.) seem to be as challenging as the main entries. Hell, this game taught me how to grind.

nirojan
02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
@ Wolf Kanno
PSP has Persona 1, Persona 3, and Persona 2 on the way (and yes they're all remakes/ports of the PS2 versions) and your forgetting the JPN-only SMT: Devil Summoner. The DS on the other hand has Devil Survivor and Strange Journey (which I admit is a main entry). That's 4 entries vs 2 when it comes to the SMT series. 3DS is getting is getting 3 SMT games not 1, an unannounced SMT game (not Persona, probably a new spin-off or Devil Survivor 2), Persona 1 (again a port) and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (a revamped port of the DS title i believe).

Besides, the original argument wasn't about SMT, it was about which handheld was more "hardcore"! In that regard PSP takes a sh*t on the DS. Look at all the genres that appeal to hardcore gamers: Shooters (killzone liberation, Resistance Retribution, Socom Fireteam Bravo series, The 3rd Birthday, etc.), Action Adventure (don't even bother arguing: God of War Chains of Olympus, GOW: Ghost of sparta, Monster Hunter series, Daxter, Metal Gear Solid: Portale Ops, MGS: Peace Walker,etc.), ARPGs (FFVII:Crisis Core, KH: BBS, etc.), SRPGs (again don't bother with this one: Valkyria Chronicles II, VC:III, Jeanne D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics:War of the Lions, Tactics Ogre: Let us cling Together,etc.) and soo many other genres, that I can't think of atm.

I'm not arguing that the PSP is a superior system. I like my DS waay more than my PSP. Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, DQIX, and the swathe of Nintendo 1st party titles make sure that this is the handheld I play on the subway on my way to school. But for every hardcore title it has it has about 100 shovelware titles. It can't be helped, it's the fastest selling handheld so developers drop cheap crap on it to get as much revenue off the system from unsuspecting parents during holidays and such. PSP has crappy games too, but no where near the same amount that the DS falls victim to. In that regard, PSP is a more harcore device than the DS just in sheer quality of games being released!

Bottom Line, this PSP vs. DS argument will never end. Think about it, this time next year it'll be 3DS vs. NGP (or whatever they rename it to). I'll be getting both, but I can already see the appeal of the NGP over the 3DS. We'll be back here arguing about KH 3D vs KKHBBS2 (or whatever you get it).
To end it off, BOY!!

Fynn
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Just wanted to remind everybody that what I meant to say with my first statement with SMT: Strange Journey was just to counter the Cactuar's argument in that the DS has no hardcore games. It does have some seriously hardcore ones. That is all :)

Wolf Kanno
02-12-2011, 08:26 PM
@ Wolf Kanno
PSP has Persona 1, Persona 3, and Persona 2 on the way (and yes they're all remakes/ports of the PS2 versions) and your forgetting the JPN-only SMT: Devil Summoner. The DS on the other hand has Devil Survivor and Strange Journey (which I admit is a main entry). That's 4 entries vs 2 when it comes to the SMT series. 3DS is getting is getting 3 SMT games not 1, an unannounced SMT game (not Persona, probably a new spin-off or Devil Survivor 2), Persona 1 (again a port) and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (a revamped port of the DS title i believe).

Actually it's un-announced Persona title, not P1. It's possible it's a port but its also possible it could be Persona 5. The jury is still out but so far Atlus has only announced Devil Survivor which wasn't even part of the initial game promises they made when the 3DS was originally announced at TGS.

I'm not arguing that the PSP is a superior system. I like my DS waay more than my PSP. Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, DQIX, and the swathe of Nintendo 1st party titles make sure that this is the handheld I play on the subway on my way to school. But for every hardcore title it has it has about 100 shovelware titles. It can't be helped, it's the fastest selling handheld so developers drop cheap crap on it to get as much revenue off the system from unsuspecting parents during holidays and such. PSP has crappy games too, but no where near the same amount that the DS falls victim to. In that regard, PSP is a more harcore device than the DS just in sheer quality of games being released!

I would argue that when you ignore the shovelware and actually ignore some sterotypes (I don't remember when gamers decided puzzle titles and adventure games are not hardcore genres, seeing how they use to be in the old days, and nothing has really changed about the genres at all.) I would argue they are pretty even, the DS just has a more massive library than the PSP, cause it's always been more popular and had more 3rd party support, even if some of that support was just a petty cash in. Yes, the DS doesn't have many good shooters or racers (which is great cause I don't like those genres) but they do have quite a bit of the other genres and puts the PSP to shame in terms of JRPGs, yet my point initially was to say that despite not being considered the "hardcore" system. It's amusing that the game actually gets main entries from popular, and generally considered "hardcore" franchises. Games that could have been big money for major home consoles.

My main point being that designating something as "hardcore" is a personal opinion, but lately it's being stated by people as fact, and I wish to dispel the myth. 2/3rd of the titles you mentioned I find were either terrible (Crisis Core) or completely un-interesting (FPS, GoW, Racing games most of the SRPGs you mentioned). So I can't help but feel the "hardcore" system is the weaker system, simply cause it's bad about supporting my favorite genres. I own both systems as well but I've gotten more out my DS cause it has a better library imo. Most of the PSP's library is lacking for me and I use the system more for downloading and playing PS1 games than anything else. Dissidia, BBS, and FFT are about the only games that have kept my interest. Despite that, I do like both systems, but if I had to choose one over the other, I'd go with the DS.

It's true this debate will go on forever, but I find it silly that people are stereotyping the DS as a non-hardcore system when it probably has as much shovelware as the NES and SNES did, which no one but Sega fan boys and people who didn't live in that generation would actually call non-hardcore. The PSP oddly enough has a very lacking library despite being released the same time as the DS, you would almost think the DS was released a few years earlier. :p

I feel that KH3D is a pretty good reason to want to pick up a 3DS, especially since part of me feels, BBS2 might still be a PSP title but I could be wrong (or hopeful).

Ouch!
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Given how little we know about the NGP and how recently it's been announced, I would be very surprised to hear that Square Enix would be releasing BBS2 on it. Production on Versus XIII seems to be winding down, so I imagine an official announcement of production on Kingdom Hearts III is not too far away. I expect then that they'll want to be pushing BBS2 out as quickly as they can, and that would mean releasing it on the PSP instead of waiting for the NGP.

Wolf Kanno
02-14-2011, 09:29 AM
It depends on how long SE's known about the NGP. When the 3DS was announced, SE already promised a FF title (probably another Crystal Chronicles title, but I'm hoping for another TA title or sadly enough, FFVremake) and KH3D. I wouldn't be surprised if it was for the NGP. Considering its slated for a winter release, I have a feeling most developers knew about it fir awhile. On the other hand, Sony has already said they have no plans on shelving the PSP when the NGP is released so it may be very likely that BBS2 will be released on the PSP since the team already knows how to work on the PSP hardware and can probably reuse a ton of crap from the original. So a quick release within a year is not unlikely, look at FFXIII-2.

I'm hoping for a PSP release cause I already own the platform and have no plans to buy either the 3DS or the NGP until they get more substantial game libraries (and a price drop, ouch Nintendo...). Oddly enough, I'm more excited about BBS2 than KH3D.

nirojan
02-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Given how little we know about the NGP and how recently it's been announced, I would be very surprised to hear that Square Enix would be releasing BBS2 on it. Production on Versus XIII seems to be winding down, so I imagine an official announcement of production on Kingdom Hearts III is not too far away. I expect then that they'll want to be pushing BBS2 out as quickly as they can, and that would mean releasing it on the PSP instead of waiting for the NGP.

Dev kits for the NGP have been out since mid 2010. But yeah, Sony says the PSP will co-exist with the NGP for their portable offering and with a 60 million install base worldwide and the fastest selling console in Japan for like the last 2 years (albeit, mostly in part to MH), I think BBS2 will probably be on the PSP.

Besides Nomura can direct more than one game at time you know. BBS and VERSUS XIII were in production at the same time. He just splits his team up for different project. The core of part of his team usually works on HD console releases (like FFVERSUSXIII and KHIII) and then splinter groups will handle portable offerings (like BBS & KH3D)

Ouch!
02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I didn't mean that the two couldn't be developed simultaneously. Obviously they've been doing that for the past few years while working on Versus XIII and developing Coded, Re:Coded, 358/2 Days, and Birth by Sleep. I merely brought it up because I would be surprised if BBS2 wasn't out well ahead of a KH3 launch.

I'm also aware that development kits for the NGP have been out for a while; all that said, given that they'd have to develop a new engine and build BBS2 from the ground up for the NGP, that's still not a lot of time to get things turned around. Granted there were some hiccups along the way, but Birth by Sleep was in development for five years. No reason to wait that long when they can repurpose so many things from BBS to BBS2 by simply keeping it on the same console.

Skyblade
02-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Besides, the original argument wasn't about SMT, it was about which handheld was more "hardcore"! In that regard PSP takes a sh*t on the DS. Look at all the genres that appeal to hardcore gamers: Shooters (killzone liberation, Resistance Retribution, Socom Fireteam Bravo series, The 3rd Birthday, etc.), Action Adventure (don't even bother arguing: God of War Chains of Olympus, GOW: Ghost of sparta, Monster Hunter series, Daxter, Metal Gear Solid: Portale Ops, MGS: Peace Walker,etc.), ARPGs (FFVII:Crisis Core, KH: BBS, etc.), SRPGs (again don't bother with this one: Valkyria Chronicles II, VC:III, Jeanne D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics:War of the Lions, Tactics Ogre: Let us cling Together,etc.) and soo many other genres, that I can't think of atm.

Yeah, when you define "hardcore" the way you want, it's easy to make your point. I'm a hardcore gamer, and my genre of choice is and always has been JRPGs, by which count the DS just flat out destroys the PSP, which has a few good ports of way older games, and nothing else. Which one is more hardcore is a matter of opinion, nothing else.

nirojan
02-15-2011, 09:52 PM
I thought we decided to end this? Besides your argument is a bit flawed. "hardcore" is NOT a matter of opinion. A hc genre is constituted by what hardcore gamers play. You considering yourself hardcore and just playing JRPGs doesn't mean it rings true for all hardcore gamers. I have a PS3, X360, PSP, DS, $2500 gaming rig and I spend about $700-1000/year and get all major AAA titles and most japanese niche titles as well. Does that make me a Hardcore gamer? Hell yea! Do I think that JRPGs are a genre that hardcore gamer are willing to play? sure. Do i think the DS has more JRPGs and of better quality than the PSP? you betcha. Is JRPG the genre of choice for most hc guys like me? F**K NO!!

It's an impossible argument to win on this site, because let's face it. We're on "Eye's on Final Fantasy" a site dedicated to a glorified JRPG series. Go on any Gaming site: IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, 1up, Gaetrailers, destructoid, etc. Meet hardcore gamers on their community forums. Ask them what their genre of choice is. Less than 10% will say JRPG (NOTE this is not a study that I conducted). JRPGs are a dying niche within the hardcore community and don't kid yourself that it's a mainstream hc genre. I don't know how you consider yourself a Hardcore gamer, but being a hc gamer is NOT a matter of opinion. There is a clear divide between the casual and the hardcore. Just buying JRPGs doesn't constitute Hardcore. It doesn't mean your casual, but neither are you knee deep like us. So you just ignore all the genres that the PSP clearly dominates the DS on and declare that because it has better JRPGs, that's its the obvious hardcore device.

If any of you want to continue this discussion (and you probably will) lets move it to a more appropriate area, like the general gaming section to dispute our differences of opinions and leave KH3D alone. Anyone care to start a Hardcore thread or a PSP vs DS thread, be my guest. I don't want to continue this on a KH thread.

PS. I lol'd at the fact that @ most gaming sites I'm defending Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general and here im pushing for the other side. fm jaded opinion!

Ouch!
02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
The rampant elitism is staggering.

Fynn
02-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Just wanted to remind everybody that what I meant to say with my first statement with SMT: Strange Journey was just to counter the Cactuar's argument in that the DS has no hardcore games. It does have some seriously hardcore ones. That is all :)

I know, I know, quoting myself again. But hey, when trying to prove a point, anything goes right? :)

Hollycat
02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
It seems that most people like the ds better, but how I define hardcore is nose to the grindstone, and while the ds may have a wider variety of unique games, the psp has more games that reward those who stick it out and fight to the end: warriors orochi 2, crisis core, secret agent clank, all ps1 games, dissidia, and size matters to name a few. These games have the more substansial feel of a PS2 game as opposed to a ds's cartoonyness. The ds is for fun, the psp is for SOLDIERs.

Rase
02-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Nomura has also confirmed that the bell tower from which Sora jumps in the trailer is from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the first of the confirmed Disney worlds to be making an appearance in the game.
Frollo = Ifrit Summon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRO-M4XyAbM) or GTFO

If any of you want to continue this discussion (and you probably will) lets move it to a more appropriate area, like the general gaming section to dispute our differences of opinions and leave KH3D alone. Anyone care to start a Hardcore thread or a PSP vs DS thread, be my guest. I don't want to continue this on a KH thread.

Only because you asked so nice. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/136016-im-so-much-better-than-you-being-gamer.html#post2952156)

spirit
03-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Cool, this is the first I've heard about this.

DMKA
03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
The Hunchback of Norte Dame world? AWESOME!!!! That gives me hope for a Pocahontas world somewhere down the line!

Sadly I don't do handhelds so I won't be playing this or any of the other spinoff games, although I did play Chain of Memories (abiet of questionable legality) and Re:Chain of Memories because it was PS2. So unless this gets a home console remake I probably won't ever play it, and I doubt that will happen.

I hate this stupid "You have to buy five consoles to play all the games!" thing the KH series has done. It's all but killed my interest in the series.

spirit
03-15-2011, 03:02 AM
The Hunchback of Norte Dame world? AWESOME!!!! That gives me hope for a Pocahontas world somewhere down the line!

Sadly I don't do handhelds so I won't be playing this or any of the other spinoff games, although I did play Chain of Memories (abiet of questionable legality) and Re:Chain of Memories because it was PS2. So unless this gets a home console remake I probably won't ever play it, and I doubt that will happen.

I hate this stupid "You have to buy five consoles to play all the games!" thing the KH series has done. It's all but killed my interest in the series.

Yes, if this is not a sequel game I won't play it. I bought a damn Ps3 to play games like these, wasn't that enough? FORGET IT!
:mad2:

Fynn
03-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Too bad. The best games in the series are on handhelds ;)

DMKA
03-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Too bad. The best games in the series are on handhelds ;)

But don't they all have that crappy card battling system?

Naeva
03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
PS2 had so many great RPG games, KH1 and KH2 being in the top. When PS3 came out my hands where itching to get one as I was expecting more great RPG games but now I got a PS3 (at the cost of all my money >_<) and there isn't many titles that actually interest me and a new KH is no where to be seen.

I got a DS but I don't think that the spin-offs for DS has been that great, Birth by sleep looks far more interesting but I don't own a PSP and after I bought PS3 I can't afford putting more money into gaming consoles.

The 3DS game looks interesting but it will take awhile before I can buy a 3DS. Its sad that the game creators have to change between the different systems all the time.

LowCaloriePie
03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
But don't they all have that crappy card battling system?

Only the GBA game. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts:_Chain_of_Memories)

qwertysaur
03-17-2011, 04:55 PM
It's interesting to note that this will be the first game without Olympus Colosseum if all the Disney worlds are new. :p

Hollycat
03-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Kingdom hearts 3 will be on the wii :colbert:

GAWD I HOPE NOT, but square probably will get one on it, one on the 3ds (this one most likely), one on the ngp, and one on the xbox

LowCaloriePie
03-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Hell, I hope they make a Wii version—even if it's a botched port. I'm sure not buying a PS3 for Kingdom Hearts III.

Fynn
03-18-2011, 03:58 PM
PS2 had so many great RPG games, KH1 and KH2 being in the top. When PS3 came out my hands where itching to get one as I was expecting more great RPG games but now I got a PS3 (at the cost of all my money >_<) and there isn't many titles that actually interest me and a new KH is no where to be seen.

I got a DS but I don't think that the spin-offs for DS has been that great, Birth by sleep looks far more interesting but I don't own a PSP and after I bought PS3 I can't afford putting more money into gaming consoles.

The 3DS game looks interesting but it will take awhile before I can buy a 3DS. Its sad that the game creators have to change between the different systems all the time.
The DS game's the biggest tear jerker of all time. It IS worth playing, trust me ;)

Hollycat
03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I think they cant come up with a compelling story. plus, now that all nobodies are gone, that removes most of the "grown up" enemies. Also, I beleive they are trying to make the game a character choice game where you can play as riku, sora, or kairi.
I have no information to back thaqt up, I just feel it. How awesome would that be. also, they need to add axel and aqua to dissidia

Ouch!
03-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I think they cant come up with a compelling story. plus, now that all nobodies are gone, that removes most of the "grown up" enemies. Also, I beleive they are trying to make the game a character choice game where you can play as riku, sora, or kairi.
I have no information to back thaqt up, I just feel it. How awesome would that be. also, they need to add axel and aqua to dissidia
The Nobodies are likely to return as somebodies. At least some of them are. Nomura confirmed a long time ago in interviews (and Re:coded then put it into canon) that when someone's Heartless and Nobody are destroyed, their bodies and hearts are reunited in darkness and are reborn. This would imply a return of Master Xehanort as the villain of Kingdom Hearts III. Nomura has been referring to this story as the Xehanort cycle for a while now. At this point, it's as much Xehanort's story as it is Sora's.

Kingdom Hearts 3D has already been confirmed for the 3DS with both Sora and Riku as playable. I'm not sure that I expect that KH3 to have Sora, Riku, and Kairi as playable in the same manner as Birth by Sleep, but I don't think that I would be surprised either. Kairi's the wild card at this point. That she is not included in Kingdom Hearts 3D so far as we know is not helping her out at this point.

It's possible that Birth by Sleep Volume II will be on the NGP, although I'm still hoping they'll just go ahead and develop it for the PSP so that they can reuse a lot of the resources from BBS and save some time on the development cycle. I would be very surprised to see a title on the Xbox or Wii. While the non-numbered titles in the series are all over the handheld landscape, it really is just handhelds. I do not expect that to change.

I Took the Red Pill
06-21-2011, 02:30 PM
hmm I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game since Chain of Memories (which was amazing btw) but I'm just losing interest in the series at this point. I expect I will be rotting in my grave when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out for Playstation 14.

edit: oh, nevermind. looks like Kingdom Hearts 2 came out after CoM. It has been so long I can't even keep the order of the three games I have played straight.

Mercen-X
06-24-2011, 02:26 AM
PSXIV? Sorry to burst your bubble, but that ain't happening ever. The SONY advert for PS9 was a joke-laden stretch, trust me. They won't even make past 5.1

They released Chain of Memories on PS2 after I bought a GBA expressly to play it. CHUMPED. I ain't gonna buy a 3DS to play 3Ds... I'll wait 'til they release it on the console. Chain of Memories came on the PS2 after I bought 358... so I'm relatively sure 358 will see console release as well... CHUMPED AGAIN!

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2011, 05:33 AM
^ Considering the PS2 version of CoM was a free extra that came along with KH2:Final Mix (which is Japan only) and SE decided to bring it over to the U.S. as a full price game at 39.99, I'd say we got screwed more than the people who bought a GBA for the game (since the GBA actually has a bitching library).

This whole thing is only made more insulting cause Capcom released a Special Edition of DMC3 with a whole bunch of extras as the Greatest Hits version so you got DMC3 with a ton of extras for half the original games cost a few years earlier. Atlus released Persona 3:FES which is a special edition of the original game with a side game as a complete package and also only charged 19.99 for it (half the originals cost), around the same time KH:Re:CoM was released.

As for ports of 358/2 and perhaps BBS, I don't see it happening unless it was part of some KH collection they tried to sell before KH3 comes out (which would be a long time from now) cause its more of a marketing ploy than anything. KH3D and BBS2 are the only KH titles in the works right now, and I don't see either of them needing a remake of an older KH game to go with them. If SE was going to remake KH, I would imagine they would do an HD remake of KH1 and 2.

Ouch!
06-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Kitase has expressed interest in releasing Birth by Sleep as one of the titles in Sony's new PSP-to-PS3 initiative. Other than that, I'd be surprised to see any big ports or remakes before Kingdom Hearts 3.

Square Enix has not even confirmed anything on the Birth by Sleep: Volume II front beyond the teaser in Birth by Sleep: Final Mix. They didn't say anything about KH3D at E3 either. I'd say we've got a while yet. Re:coded was already this calendar year's Kingdom Hearts title, and they've been very good about releasing one title per year (Coded in 2008, 358/2 Days in 2009, Birth by Sleep in 2010, and Re:coded in 2011). I'd expect Kingdom Hearts 3D in 2012, Birth by Sleep: Volume II in 2013. I'd be surprised if we got Kingdom Hearts 3 before 2015 at the absolute earliest.