PDA

View Full Version : Rift

Bunny
01-22-2011, 05:04 AM
How many of you have heard about Rift (http://www.riftgame.com/en/)?

I haven't followed Rift for that long but from what I have read and see about it so far it has immense promise. Looking at how they deal with the class system (and the individual classes themselves) is fairly impressive.

I'm hoping to get invited to one of the Beta events that is happening soon so I can check it out more in-depth. Anyone else tried out the Beta or has anyone been following it?

Rostum
01-22-2011, 07:18 AM
It's not something I've looked at until recently, but it does look alright. However it won't be an MMO I'd consider playing.

Elskidor
01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I needa look more into this. I heard that there are no real pre-set mobs and the rifts appear out of nowhere and flood the zones so that sounds exciting. Go afk in a peaceful village and return to see it under attack and your dead center in the heat of danger. If that's how it really is I think it's neat concept having the game out to beat you, rather than the player out to beat the game. I have to read more on it though. I caught an article about it not long ago and it sounded neat.

escobert
01-22-2011, 06:30 PM
I get liek 45907690476 beta invies for it all the time. But, I cba to start a new mmo right now.

Awrini
02-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Bert I'd rethink that, Rift is looking quite nice at the moment. And with an open beta just around the corner it wouldn't be a bad idea to just give it a chance.
I was able to play in a few of the earlier betas and quite honestly after the first mass invasion I was sold.

And you want to talk about character diversity... there are 2 factions 3 races per faction 4 class archetypes (Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Mage) , and each archetype has a set of 8 sub-classes. (A character's spec can utilize up to 3 sub-classes per spec) 32 sub-classes total, each with full 50+ point talent trees, but alas no you can't mix and match sub-classes of different archetypes.

Bunny
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
There isn't really a need to mix and match archetypes. Mages have a healing sub-class, as well as pet sub-classes and straight damage sub-classes. Clerics get several melee dps, ranged dps, and healing specs. Rogues get a tanking spec, melee spec, and ranged spec w/ pet specs and warriors get a melee spec, pet spec and tank spec.

Regardless of what you choose, you can pretty much play any role you desire, aside from a mage tank or rogue healer, which makes sense.

I pre-ordered the CE version of the digital download copy about a week ago and I've participated in 2 short betas, and will likely participate in the 6-day beta coming up on February 15th before the release (March 1st). Yeah, it has similarities to WoW and other MMOs, but it is mostly out of necessity since you can't really avoid having the commonalities in an MMO. I'm pretty excited to see how end-game material is.

There are some things that need to be fixed, most of which are relatively small and simple. The biggest annooyance is when a Rift/Invasion/Foothold takes over the questhub you are using and destroys everything it sees, though it can also be fun to see NPCs running around trying to kill an entire zone.

Awrini
02-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Bunny that's just the game telling you, Yeah quests are cool and all, but THIS is why you're really here.

G3ORGE
02-12-2011, 04:42 AM
I'm waiting for the open beta but can someone fill me on on a story if there is one? i liked the way WoW had the backstory of WC1, 2 & 3.

Because so far it just looks like ''OMG PORTALS WITH MONSTERS'' ''DONT WORRY IM A TELEPORTING SNIPER PEW PEW'' xD

Rantz
03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
This game has been released. Anyone played it yet?

I don't usually go for MMOs and I've never paid for one, but I'm considering getting this.

Bunny
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
It is a decent game and can be fun, though there are some serious changes that need to be made in order to allow for proper flow. I'm currently level 46 (out of the max 50) and haven't experienced endgame quit yet, but from what I hear it is fairly lacking. That's typical for a new MMO though, and should be changed as the game gets older.

I'd say it is worth checking into, at the very least, because it is pretty fun and the landscape itself is absolutely stunning, even on the lowest settings.