PDA

View Full Version : gaems halp

Yar
01-24-2011, 02:05 AM
I need help finding some really awesome multiplayer games.

What I'm looking for is something that you can pick up or put down at really anytime. My friends and I have been playing Mario Kart 64. For 5 months. It's time for a new game. Two games I have in mind right now are Road Rash 64 and Timesplitters 2.

I'm kinda looking for shooter games, but ones that are not related to war or political intrigue or anything stupid like that. Just a game where you run around killing each other. So no Call of Duty or whatever the hell you people play these days.

Not really looking for anything cooperative. Competitive plz.

ALSO, it should to be for N64 or PS2. PS3 recommendations are appreciated though. :D

NorthernChaosGod
01-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Halo. /thread

Yar
01-24-2011, 02:34 AM
*sigh*

That's not on the N64 or PS2. :(

NorthernChaosGod
01-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Goldeneye is on the N64.

Raistlin
01-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Along with Mario Kart, GoldenEye is the N64 multiplayer game. I can only assume by you not mentioning it that you already considered it, as I cannot imagine that game escaping your memory.

I don't play a lot of multiplayer FPS games, so I don't have any PS2 recommendations.

Yar
01-24-2011, 02:58 AM
Yeah we already ordered Goldeneye.

Also, they don't have to be shooters.

NorthernChaosGod
01-24-2011, 03:28 AM
N64 has 3 games that are tits for multiplayer, the only one you're missing is Super Smash Bros.

Levian
01-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Perfect Dark? I've never played it but people appear to like it.

Pete for President
01-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Little Big Planet 1 or 2 for ps3 is tons of fun with 4 players.

I also liked the multiplayer on SSX3 (ps2), but if not everyone is at the level it takes out all the fun.

Jiro
01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Perfect Dark is sweet.

Dreddz
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Twisted Metal Black is the ultimate multiplayer game, especially if you have 4 friends to play with. I see you have considered Timesplitters 2 which is fantastic. Any well informed gamer knows that the Timesplitters games are some of the best multiplayer shooters.

blackmage_nuke
01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Starwars Episode1: Podracer for n64 is one of my favourite racing games of all time

Pete for President
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Multiplayer on Guitar Hero 2 & 3 is pretty awesome too.

Iceglow
01-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Starwars Episode1: Podracer for n64 is one of my favourite racing games of all time

About the only thing to come good of Episode 1 of Star Wars. Seriously fact.

Also on subject, you've got a ps2, buy a 360 get halo reach then /thread cheaper than buying a ps3.

G13
01-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Aw, c'mon. What about Jar-Jar Binks?

Podracer rules! I love it. I think it's only 2 player though iirc.

Justin, listen to me and do these things. Go out and get an original Xbox, pick up Halo: Combat Evolved, play it, thank me later.

Iceglow
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Aw, c'mon. What about Jar-Jar Binks?

Podracer rules! I love it. I think it's only 2 player though iirc.

Justin, listen to me and do these things. Go out and get an original Xbox, pick up Halo: Combat Evolved, play it, thank me later.

Justin don't do that, download from the XBLA market place a copy of Halo Combat Evolved on to your Xbox 360, ok so theres no co-op mode I don't think and I know theres no multiplayer but you'll still get the core of the experience and who doesn't wanna be a testament to all our sins by completeing legendary solo. I believe they also put achievements in :)

G13
01-26-2011, 12:26 AM
The point of this thread is multiplayer games. An original Xbox is far cheaper than a 360, and it makes more sense than getting a 360 just to dl a game that may or may not have multiplayer.

Bolivar
01-26-2011, 01:57 AM
On PS2 I used to have a blast playing 007 Agent Under Fire and eventually Nightfire multiplayer with 4 people. The first one I can vouch for more, it was a fun, competent shooter, but also had awesome extras you could put on it like grappling hooks and jetpacks. You're also on the right track with Timesplitters. Dreddz also gave you sound advice with Twisted Metal Black, but don't forget, with a PS2 you also have access to PSOne games and the original Twisted Metal games are awesome as well. TM2 is the best from the original team, but you might like 3 and 4 as well.

Also if you've just gotten tired of Mario Kart 64 you might want to check out Crash Team Racing for the PSOne, that was a really great kart racer as well. Of course, for PlayStation games you need a multitap, but investing in one shouldn't be too painful.

As far as N64, yeah you definitely need Smash Bros., that's my favorite version of the game. That with Kart and 007 is like the golden triumvirate of multiplayer games, you could play those forever. But you're forgetting one thing:

YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BUY DUKE NUKEM 64 RIGHT NOW. If you're still reading this post you fail epicly. I can't believe you've been playing 4 person competitive multiplayer on a Nintendo 64, ask us for a mindless shooter and are not already laughing mindlessly. Ok, I can believe that you haven't played it on the 64, but I can't believe our EoFF community has not recommended it to you. We collectively fail on that one.

Not to mention the new Duke is coming out, not sure if it'll have 4 player split screen on consoles, but if you like it on 64 you'll like the new one, too. As far as PS3 recommendations go, I'm kind of stumped on multiplayer. The Call of Duty games are just ok for split screen multiplayer with 4 people... The levels aren't really built for small games like that, each game has only 1 or 2 levels that truly accomodate it. Little Big Planet is co-op, but both games, especially LBP2 are filled with tons of challenges for players to compete on, plus there's sometimes races within each level where everyone scrambles to finish first. If you're playing with four people locally, LBP is a great game.

Unreal Tournament III on PS3 is awesome as well, although the split screen is only two players. The PS3 version is amazing for the fact that you can load mods onto it, which means infinite custom maps, game modes, mutators, and character models all from the Unreal community. For example, you can play as Solid Snake, Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, and and Iron Man all battling against each other on a 2D plane. Seriously, that's something you can download right now.

Overall, though, I'd say this generation has been pretty bad for 4-player local multiplayer games. There's ModNation Racers which you might want to rent and see if you like it - it's like Mario Kart but the main focus is creating your own tracks and designing your own racer and car. Of course there's the EA Sports and Guitar Hero/Rock Band games but I'd honestly be lying if I said they live up to things like Mario Kart 64, Smash Brothers, or Goldeneye 64.

Good luck!!!

Elite Lord Sigma
01-26-2011, 05:00 AM
If you like the idea of leading a bunch of CPU bots to victory, I'd recommend either of the Star Wars: Battlefront games. Timesplitters 2 is also a blast to play.

Timekeeper
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Perfect Dark is Goldeneye with aliens and more stuff, so just as good, just bigger. I highly recommend it.

Donkey Kong 64 isn't bad for multiplayer, and the same goes for Conker's Bad Fur Day (which is seriously awesome in it's own right).

Super Smash Brawls is definitely needed as well.

It would certainly be worth investing in each and every one of the Mario Party games on the N64.

Vyk
01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Don't get Halo

There's always Starfox 64. I can't remember enjoying the multiplayer that much, but I never had many friends to play multiplayer games much back then. But I absolutely loved the single-player campaign, just for being so fun

And Bomberman 64 has one of the better Bomberman competitive modes. It gets pretty crazy. Need a code to unlock all the levels though

Fynn
01-27-2011, 07:36 AM
N64 has three Mario Parties, which are absolutely AWESOME in terms of multiplayer. Seriously, my brother, dad, best friend and I met up every evening of last year's summer holidays just to play Mario Party. The game is hilarious and plenty of fun :)

NeoCracker
01-27-2011, 09:09 AM
If you like Fighters, pick up BLazblu continuum shift. Even if you listen to Iceglow and get a 360 instead of PS3, it's on both systems so you wont' miss out. Definately my favorite 2D fighter to date.

Same thing with Boarder Lands. Great co-op, though only for 2 people if you play off one system, and it's not something you could switch on and off with like a fighting game.

For something just on PS3, Modnation Racers is a solid choice. The customization of racers is great, so you could have a lot of fun with more then just the racing if you're into the custom designing.

For 360, I'll join in and say there are much better multiplayer shooters then Halo, such as CoD. Now it works on PS3 online decently, though in the end if you are willing to pay for the online, you'd be better off on 360 with it. There are also the kick ass Gears of War games for some amazing co-op experience.

And while it still has it's issues, both Army of Two games are solid and fun Co-Op, available for either system.

As for 64, Conkers. I actually had more fun with the multiplayer on that then with Golden Eye. However skip the XBox port if you get an XBox, because they botched the Multiplayer badly.

And for PS2, Soul Calibur 2 is an awesome fighting game, still my favorite in the series.

ANd while you're at it get Dark Cloud 2, not for the Multiplayer or anything(I think there was some kind of Multiplayer option, but I never used it), but because that game kicks ass.

Jiro
01-27-2011, 11:10 AM
You should get Mario Kart

Hollycat
01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
smash bros.