PDA

View Full Version : Games a non-gamer might like for the SNES.

KentaRawr!
01-24-2011, 08:30 PM
So, I have this friend from Portugal, and she has never played video games before. However, she does seem interested in trying. So, like a good friend, I'm showing her how to download games illegally and play them on an emulator. :p She seems set on starting with Chrono Trigger, and I have a few other ideas on what to recommend to her, but I'm curious what games you guys think a total non-gamer might enjoy for the SNES.

Of course, this will be different depending on the person. But I'm still curious. :p

Skyblade
01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
That is a tough call. If she is not a gamer because she has never had a chance to play video games before, the SNES is certainly a good system to start with, as it has a host of excellent titles from various genres. FFVI would be next up, if she is continuing with RPGs, then Secret of Mana, to switch up the combat a bit. Super Metroid is an awesome sidescroller. It's just important to look first for games that you think suit her best.

Vermachtnis
01-24-2011, 08:43 PM
7th Saga

Agent Proto
01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
She wants to start with Chrono Trigger? WHY ARE YOU STOPPING HER??!

escobert
01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
A link to the Past!

kotora
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Mario

Bunny
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom

Madonna
01-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Contra III. Everyone has to bleed sometime.

NorthernChaosGod
01-24-2011, 10:58 PM
A link to the Past!

Most definitely.

And Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Bunny
01-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Contra III. Everyone has to bleed sometime.

I think that happens once a month in this case.

Rase
01-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Super Metroid is an awesome sidescroller.
This, and

A link to the Past!
this.

KentaRawr!
01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! :) I think she'll really enjoy the games you guys recommended.

Vyk
01-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Is she really going to be coordinated enough for some of these games? RPGs are a pretty hefty hurdle for a non-gamer. And Contra is pretty unforgiving even to some avid gamers xD I'd suggest something like Bubble Bobble. Girls love those games. Yoshi's Cookie or Yoshi's Island maybe (Mario's a really good suggestion).

escobert
01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
That's why I was thinking Zelda. It's fun and enjoying while also not incredibly hard and pretty easy to get into. And A Link to the Past is by far one of the best Zelda games :p

Meat Puppet
01-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Uniracers

NeoCracker
01-26-2011, 01:13 AM
If she digs Chrono, start baraging her with RPGs. This world needs more RPG gamer girls.

Lufia 2 and Earthbound are two great ones, both for entirely different reasons. ANd if she gets into either one, delve her into none other then Breath of Fighter 2, classical Turn Based done to perfection.

Jiro
01-27-2011, 11:14 AM
NeoCracker you haven't even asked if she's hot yet.

Mo-Nercy
01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Tales of Phantasia is pretty good. It's doesn't take itself too seriously and has got a bit of humour in it. Pretty easy to pick up and play if you've never experienced an RPG before too ('cept for the whole limited to 15 of each item thing).

And classic platformers like Donkey Kong Country are always good too.

Old Manus
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
ITT suggest that someone who's never played videogames start with complicated RPGs

Just get Super Mario World or something

KentaRawr!
01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
ITT suggest that someone who's never played videogames start with complicated RPGs

Just get Super Mario World or something

Chrono Trigger seems simple enough, but I was actually pretty surprised that it took this many posts to suggest Super Mario World. :p

Bunny
01-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Is she really going to be coordinated enough for some of these games? RPGs are a pretty hefty hurdle for a non-gamer. And Contra is pretty unforgiving even to some avid gamers xD I'd suggest something like Bubble Bobble. Girls love those games. Yoshi's Cookie or Yoshi's Island maybe (Mario's a really good suggestion).

My girlfriend would probably hit you several times over the head with a large, metal object. RPGs aren't difficult for newcomers to pick up, especially if they have even a small sense of strategy and an ability to pick things up quickly (which most people do). SNES-era RPGs were not the most difficult games to come out in the history of video games, which is why the majority of them are still accessible today.

If your friend likes Chrono Trigger, let her play Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy IV/V/VI, Link to the Past, or any of the other games you love to play on the SNES. She'll either like them or she'll hate them, but don't try to feed her games that won't challenge her. If she's turned off by small challenges, she wasn't really meant for them anyway.

NeoCracker
01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
NeoCracker you haven't even asked if she's hot yet.

I must be slipping.

Levian
01-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Any game where you can both control a character on screen at the same time, cooperatively.

Disney's Magical Quest 2, Starring Mickey & Minnie
Disney's Magical Quest 3, Starring Mickey & Donald
Gooftroop
Mystical Ninja
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Turtles in Time
Bomberman 1 through 5
Donkey Kong Country 1 through 3 (Not simultaneous play, but turns are frequent enough to still be fun coop)

Bubble Bobble for the NES is worth mentioning as well.

Hollycat
01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
deadlocked

KentaRawr!
01-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Any game where you can both control a character on screen at the same time, cooperatively.

Disney's Magical Quest 2, Starring Mickey & Minnie
Disney's Magical Quest 3, Starring Mickey & Donald
Gooftroop
Mystical Ninja
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Turtles in Time
Bomberman 1 through 5
Donkey Kong Country 1 through 3 (Not simultaneous play, but turns are frequent enough to still be fun coop)

Bubble Bobble for the NES is worth mentioning as well.

She lives in Portugal. I live in Ohio. :p

black orb
01-29-2011, 04:13 AM
>>> DKC, I even make my dad play it..:luca:

Laddy
01-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom

Excellent game, but for a non-gamer? xD Most "gamers" wouldn't even play it.