PDA

View Full Version : anyone else like me?

dragoon1028
01-25-2011, 01:07 AM
is there anyone else on these forums who loves playing RPGs and are good at them, but has little to no skill in first person shooters? are there more people like me out there, or am i just the kid whos parents bought him the longest games they could find to shut him up and who hasnt developed his motor skills yet??

escobert
01-25-2011, 01:21 AM
No, you are one of a kind :p

Shlup
01-25-2011, 01:23 AM
When I play FPS games with friends, my role is to distract the other team. I am otherwise useless.

Bunny
01-25-2011, 01:56 AM
I'm pretty good at FPS games.

kotora
01-25-2011, 02:29 AM
When I play FPS games with friends, my role is to distract the other team. I am otherwise useless.

that's because them women folk can't shoot

VeloZer0
01-25-2011, 02:46 AM
I'm bad at FPS, but I generally associate that with the fact I have no balance, muscle memory, agility, spatial awareness, coordination or motor skills in general.

Hollycat
01-25-2011, 03:34 AM
I rock at all rpg's, but when it comes to fps games, I am virtually useless in most of them except for call of duty games. I have spent a grand total of 3 hours playing cod games, but I've racked up over 200 kills online. I have no freakin idea why I am good at cod, but when it comes to games like halo, I suck.
alot.
times 6.
also rainbow six

Rase
01-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Probably the latter.

NorthernChaosGod
01-25-2011, 06:33 AM
I rock at all rpg's, but when it comes to fps games, I am virtually useless in most of them except for call of duty games. I have spent a grand total of 3 hours playing cod games, but I've racked up over 200 kills online. I have no freakin idea why I am good at cod, but when it comes to games like halo, I suck.
alot.
times 6.
also rainbow six
Because COD requires no skill.

Iceglow
01-25-2011, 09:07 AM
alot.
times 6.
also rainbow six

I play CoD myself and I'm gonna agree with that to an extent. CoD takes almost no skill whatsoever to get kills in, to get what is considered a good K/D in CoD (usually about 3.0+ in a game) however takes some luck, some skill and a lot of knowing the level and camping you gotta give people some credit for that considering your average CoD franchise fanboy is running on 3 braincells, 2 of which are dedicated to wanking and CoD the third governs all other functions. Halo Reach on the other hand is a damn sight harder to play because it requires you to actually account for things like bloom and enemy abilities. Halo 3 gameplay especially if both have the BR usually relies upon who has the better aim for the face and/or who hits with their bullets first.

leader of mortals
01-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I suck horribly at console fps games, like Halo and CoD, but I used to play Combat Arms a lot, and I always did pretty good. Unfortunately, I have recently either lost my touch, or my new computer has made me suck at that, too.

kotora
01-25-2011, 11:58 AM
is there anyone else on these forums who loves playing RPGs and are good at them, but has little to no skill in first person shooters? are there more people like me out there, or am i just the kid whos parents bought him the longest games they could find to shut him up and who hasnt developed his motor skills yet??

maybe it's because you're playing them on consoles? Because in that case it's pretty normal to play fps games like a total spaz.

Dreddz
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm competent at almost any genre. I don't recall any FPS I couldnt complete on the normal difficultly (with the exception of COD4 which defaulted to hardened and kicked my ass). If I apply myself I can become fairly skilled. I played Killzone 2 quite a bit and ended up doing quite well online.

Iceglow
01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
(with the exception of COD4 which defaulted to hardened and kicked my ass).

It didn't default to Hardened, when you did the ship mockup you scored well enough for it to sugest hardened. It was meant to be challenging and not so easily done then again the mockup doesn't shoot back at you which makes a major difference later in game when you've got between 20 and 30 people firing god knows what in your direction and tossing grenades at you.

Dreddz
01-25-2011, 02:43 PM

It didn't default to Hardened, when you did the ship mockup you scored well enough for it to sugest hardened. It was meant to be challenging and not so easily done then again the mockup doesn't shoot back at you which makes a major difference later in game when you've got between 20 and 30 people firing god knows what in your direction and tossing grenades at you.
Interesting. I got about 3/4 of the way through the game before giving up. It was brutal. Dunno why they recommended that difficulty considering I was in no way shape or form ready to handle some of the challenges near the end of the game. Good game though. Despite the commercial success of COD I'm happy IW don't make the game accessible to everyone.

Iceglow
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Interesting. I got about 3/4 of the way through the game before giving up. It was brutal. Dunno why they recommended that difficulty considering I was in no way shape or form ready to handle some of the challenges near the end of the game. Good game though. Despite the commercial success of COD I'm happy IW don't make the game accessible to everyone.

To have the game suggest doing it on hardened you had to score under like 23 seconds on the mockup to get Veteran as the suggested difficulty you had to score under 20 seconds (there is an achievement for this on 360). On MW2 it was under 30 seconds for the Veteran suggestion on the training mockup (and another achievement for this too). It's an interesting way of determining player skill and in theory, as you play up the levels you've learnt enough skills to be capable of surviving though you can always put it lower if you wish to. Likewise you can select veteran even without it suggesting it to you, it will however suggest that you will find it tough to complete the game and should do a lesser setting.

Jiro
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm alright at FPS. Not great, but alright.

But then I play online and kick ass. It's because they're 12yo. You should play online OP, you'd be awesome :D

Dreddz
01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Being 12yo is almost an advantage. The reflexes of someone that young are impressive.

Hollycat
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
alot.
times 6.
also rainbow six

It does when it's your first time using an xbox controller, and your playing online with a bunch of people who have had the game for months, and you accidentally switch out your machine gun for a sniper rifle and your friend decides not to tell you how to use the scope until you've mastered no scoping, then while you are trying to figure out how to get out of the scope he shoots you in the back of the head, and you have no idea how to navigte the map other than being lucky, and some jerk wont stop sending out attack dogs.

Remon
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
or am i just the kid whos parents bought him the longest games they could find to shut him up and who hasnt developed his motor skills yet??

Yep, you're the only one :p

Vyk
01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Its because RPGs require a brain, and patience. Shooter games require neither, they're more prone to memorization, and A.D.D.. Though I gotta say, I tend to blow at RPGs with "builds". Something that became extremely popular online. For some reason someone thought it'd be a bad idea to let people experiment with their characters, and pick a bunch of abilities that they liked and suited their play style. Instead you're supposed to read ahead towards all the abilities you should be working towards and do a bunch of crap that doesn't interest you in order to end up with suggested "build". I guess the ends justify the means, but that sorta blows on the way there. It'd be better if they balanced abilities in general, so no matter what kinda stuff you grab, you'd be comparable in the end either way. RPGs that lean towards builds are generally obsessed over by ADD-addled people with nothing better to do as well, just like the general shooter games. I generally go for games that aren't as close-minded in this regard

Hollycat
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I am ADD, i suk at fps games, but can beat any rpg in INSERT TIMME HERE

Vyk
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Well "prone" doesn't really mean "required", and I was also pretty much just pulling that out of my ass xD 'Cause the two people I know who really super duper enjoy Halo and CoD are insanely impatient and obsessive and would play both for dozens of hours a week if life would let them. And I'd say Halo is just as much about stage memorization as CoD. Not sure about Reach. But my nephew seemed to know all the spawn points in the other Halo games and knew all the best places for camping and stuff so he always knew where to go for the best chances for kills. Maybe Reach made spawn points random parts of the stage, but still

Iceglow
01-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Well "prone" doesn't really mean "required", and I was also pretty much just pulling that out of my ass xD 'Cause the two people I know who really super duper enjoy Halo and CoD are insanely impatient and obsessive and would play both for dozens of hours a week if life would let them. And I'd say Halo is just as much about stage memorization as CoD. Not sure about Reach. But my nephew seemed to know all the spawn points in the other Halo games and knew all the best places for camping and stuff so he always knew where to go for the best chances for kills. Maybe Reach made spawn points random parts of the stage, but still

Spawn points are still set but the ability to change armour ability inbetween lives and the various ways in which they work makes spawn killing a little more challenging than before but it can definitely be done, especially in games of Swat.

Jessweeee♪
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Most of them don't really interest me so I almost never play them. So of course I'm terrible at them on the rare occasion that I play with friends! Mostly I just do dumb :bou::bou::bou::bou: like only shoot crates or not shoot anything ever, because if I try to play seriously I'll just make a fool of myself.

Hollycat
01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I remember the first time I played halo, I saw my reflection on a window, got scared and shot a rocket at it. It wasn't a breakable window

Meat Puppet
01-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Here, I wrote a guide on how to play Team Fortress 2.

1. Load the game and pick a server. And by server I mean any server running 2fort 24/7 instaspawn

2. Wait for the server to load. Takes a while; you might want to walk the dog or milk the cows while you wait.

3. Press 1

4. Press 1 again

5. Press 3

6. Find the little man in the yellow hardhat wearing the same color clothes as you. WARNING: Due to a bug that hasn't been fixed yet, the hardhat might not appear, or could be replaced with an entirely different hat altogether.

7. Press M1

8. Press X
8.5. Press 5

9. Repeat steps 7-8.5 until you die

If you die, change teams, and then continue from step 3.

Hope this helps!

Roogle
01-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Yes, I used to play only role-playing games until I realized that I could perform well in other games.

I recently learned how to play a third-person shooter called S4 League (http://s4.en.alaplaya.net/) to help familiarize myself with the first person shooter genre. Maybe you need to find a game with guns that you can enjoy and become more familiar with it? If you enjoy a game, you will discover how to play it properly on your own.

Bolivar
01-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Actually, thanks heaven for you. It was definitely sad to see nowadays most gamers like us move on to and promote mindless shooters because, let's face it, there isn't much new stuff coming out there anymore from the big publishers.

I'm actually pretty average at shooters, but once I find one I like, I gradually learn the maps and general mechanics of the gameplay, then get a shooting mechanic down instinctively and do pretty good. Call of Duty I can get in the top 2-3 players kinda consistently and games like Killzone 2 and Bad Company 2 I would always get top player on.

Maybe you just haven't found a shooter out there that works for you. If all you've been exposed to is Call of Duty and Halo I wouldn't be surprised because those are the most popular, but in the minds of a lot of people who have been playing shooters for a long time, CoD is kind of average and Halo is pretty bad.

I'd highly recommend getting the platinum edition of the original half-life. You can cut your teeth on the the very good single player of a game that defined much of where gaming has gone, and has a pretty decent multiplayer component to it. Team Fortress classic is also included which is an excellent class based shooter that requires a lot of teamwork, but most of all, just an incredibly fun time. Counter-Strike is considered by many to be the BEST fps game ever, a lot of lobbies can be quite elitist but it's definitely an interesting game you can lose yourself for hundreds of hours in. The reason I recommend the platinum edition is because most computers nowadays can run it, and you can get it for fairly cheap via CD or off of Steam. Worst case scenario, you've lost a couple bucks.

NorthernChaosGod
01-26-2011, 02:50 AM
What's wrong with knowing the layout of a map? o_O That's just tactics, knowing the spawn points and spawn times of weapons can help a win along with straight skill.

Elite Lord Sigma
01-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Yes and no. RPGs are and always have been my favorite genre of game; they can absorb me into their world for hours on end like nothing else can. However, I'm not terrible at shooters; I'm competent at most of the games I play. Then again, a great deal of people on Xbox Live are idiots.

ljkkjlcm9
01-26-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm pretty much the type of gamer that can pick up any game and be good at it. Some take longer to excel at, but for the most part, I'm always expected to win among my friends. I hate playing FPS on consoles though, even though I do fine with it.

THE JACKEL

Vyk
01-26-2011, 05:11 PM
What's wrong with knowing the layout of a map? o_O That's just tactics, knowing the spawn points and spawn times of weapons can help a win along with straight skill.

That was aimed at it being said that COD is about memorization rather than skill. I was just pointing out that it comes into play just as much in Halo. There's nothing wrong it it, other than how telling it is about how much time someone spends with a game rather than how skilled they are. I'll probably never like a Halo game, and I'm tired of trying to dissect why they don't appeal to me. But I think CoD could be fun. But I just wouldn't be able to stomach playing it for hours every day the way everyone else I know does. So no matter how skilled I might get, I'll always be at a disadvantage in that regard

[This complained is more whining about how much time people spend with these games, rather than how unskilled I am at them xD)

NorthernChaosGod
01-26-2011, 10:32 PM

That was aimed at it being said that COD is about memorization rather than skill. I was just pointing out that it comes into play just as much in Halo. There's nothing wrong it it, other than how telling it is about how much time someone spends with a game rather than how skilled they are. I'll probably never like a Halo game, and I'm tired of trying to dissect why they don't appeal to me. But I think CoD could be fun. But I just wouldn't be able to stomach playing it for hours every day the way everyone else I know does. So no matter how skilled I might get, I'll always be at a disadvantage in that regard

[This complained is more whining about how much time people spend with these games, rather than how unskilled I am at them xD)
Lol, it really doesn't even take long to learn spawn points or weapon spawns. That is really a non-issue since you can even go into forge and spend a couple minutes looking at the actual spawn points too. I don't get the complaint, it doesn't actually take any extra work if you play semi-normally.

Mirage
01-27-2011, 03:27 AM
Why are you guys bringing ADD into the equation?

Mo-Nercy
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm horrendously bad at most FPS game. The only exceptions are certain maps when playing Counter Strike 1.5 or 1.6.

I suck at RPGs too, tbh. =(

Hollycat
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
To give you guys a guess at how I rank in each type:
rpg's: beaten and enjoyed everyone I've played
platformers: same thing
fps: beaten..... splinter cell for ds, it was probably the easiest fps ever.
shooter: lots of them, real good at these, except warhawks red mercury
EVERY OTHER TYPE OF GAME EXCEPT ACTION: you guys could probably beat me in your sleep with one hand cut off

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2011, 06:08 PM
EVERY OTHER TYPE OF GAME EXCEPT ACTION: you guys could probably beat me in your sleep with one hand cut off
That really doesn't tell us anything. :|

kotora
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
That really doesn't tell us anything. :|

might as well try to achieve world peace if you're gonna try to understand his posts

escobert
01-28-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm decent at FPS. I played Marathon all the time growing up and then moved on to Counter Strike when I got older. Now I play Black Ops mainly. And a little Team Fortress 2 here and there.

Hollycat
01-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Ok, heres a better example:
Yesterday me and a buddy played halo for a bit.
I ended up with a negative 68.
It was a thirty minute game.

One time when playing a fps, I got my camera suck pointing at the ground, and fell off a cliff.

On another game, I got killed by a guy with a shotgun from across a road, he just stood there while I missed with a machine gun

I somehow managed to kill myself with a rocket fired straight up in halo

I managed to stick myslef 14 times while throwing upwards.

I have thrown many grenades at my own reflection

NorthernChaosGod
01-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Ok, heres a better example:
Yesterday me and a buddy played halo for a bit.
I ended up with a negative 68.
It was a thirty minute game.

One time when playing a fps, I got my camera suck pointing at the ground, and fell off a cliff.

On another game, I got killed by a guy with a shotgun from across a road, he just stood there while I missed with a machine gun

I somehow managed to kill myself with a rocket fired straight up in halo

I managed to stick myslef 14 times while throwing upwards.

I have thrown many grenades at my own reflection
I thought you said you were decent, not completely fucking awful.

Hollycat
01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm only good at COD

Remon
01-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Why did this turn to a FPS discussion?

Jiro
01-29-2011, 11:56 AM
the kid whos parents bought him the longest games they could find to shut him up

This bit pretty much applies to me btw. It's like they want me to be a hermit

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Why did this turn to a FPS discussion?

Because that was part of the topic?