PDA

View Full Version : A selection of lines that I just *know* have been translated badly. (some may spoil)

MJN SEIFER
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
While the FFVII translation is in no way the worst, it's in no way the best either - various things are misspelled, the grammar goes on vacation in a couple of scenes ("This guy ARE sick"?), and as usual many names of monsters and items have been changed in their journey from Japan to here. However, for the most part, the script has suffered the least - even if it has been re-worded, the storyline is for the most part cohearant, and it is easy to get what is going on. However, the following lines come out weird for me.

Biggs/Jessie: Code decipherd.
Surley the code has already been deciphered if they oppened the door? In an eairler dialogue Jessie says that she and Biggs know the code, "decipher" means to "find out what something means".

Cloud: …Ordinary luck. It will be an active fortune.
"Active fortune"? What exactly does he mean by that? Does he mean that his fortune will come true? If so, shouldn't that be a good thing?

Bugenhagen: That's Seto's... Seto.
Seto, is of course Red XIII's father, but I don't understand the meaning of the second "Seto".

Cloud: I don't even know what a Reunion is!
Even though this line clearly means that Cloud has no idea what Sephiroth is talking about, surley he must have heard of reunion before right? I mean, normal reunions (school, familly, etc) happen all the time - so Cloud should know what a reunion is. Something like "What do you mean by "Reunion"?" would have been more appropriate here.

Gorky: Here I am, Miss Yuffie!

Strange thing to say to someone who's just defeated you...

Staniv: Although it's a five-storied pagoda, the fourth floor is the highest...
I get that he means no one has ever gotten past him, but the way the game words it makes it sound like he's being more literal than he actually is.

Godo: What are you doing! OMNI-Change!! ......!!

What is who doing exactly? no ones making him transform are they?

Cloud: I wasn't pursuing Sephiroth. I was being summoned by Sephiroth. All the
anger and hatred I bore him, made it impossible for me to ever forget him. That
and what he gave me.
Why does Cloud suddenly say that Sephiroth must have found him boring in this line? How is that relevant?

Crop
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Seto, is of course Red XIII's father, but I don't understand the meaning of the second "Seto".

Dunno about the rest, but with this one doesn't he say it as you look up at Seto? I think he's saying "That's Seto's Corpse", but because it's still Seto but just petrified to death (or that it's a bit harsh saying "there's your dead father") he stops himself and just says "That's Seto".

silentenigma
01-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Cloud: I wasn't pursuing Sephiroth. I was being summoned by Sephiroth. All the anger and hatred I bore him, made it impossible for me to ever forget him. That and what he gave me.
Why does Cloud suddenly say that Sephiroth must have found him boring in this line? How is that relevant?

bore in this context is past-tense of "bear," and the line should have read:

"All the anger and hatred I bore for him made it impossible for me to ever forget him."

"Active fortune"? What exactly does he mean by that? Does he mean that his fortune will come true? If so, shouldn't that be a good thing?

Probably means his future will be very eventful or strenuous. Which is ironic because this fortune comes true, along with "Be careful of forgetfulness" .... and for all we know, Cloud's lucky color could very well be blue XD

Hollycat
01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
this guy are sick

Karifean
01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Cloud: ...Hmmm. That's how you'll fool them.
Aeris: ....Hmmmmmm. So that's how you fooled them.

......no comment.

Roogle
01-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Biggs/Jessie: Code dechiphered.
Surley the code has already been deciphered if they oppened the door? In an eairler dialogue Jessie says that she and Biggs know the code, "dechipher" means to "find out what something means".

The proper spelling is "decipher". I see similar types of phrases used in other science fiction television shows and films when it comes to these types of situations, so I think that the translators were simply trying to insert some dialogue for the sake of making it more than it is. Does that make sense? It is interesting that the game has so many errors like this. I wonder what a modern day script would do for this game?

kotora
01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
What it would do is be make a lot more sense. There's some guys working on a retranslation mod for the PC version of FF7.

MJN SEIFER
01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Dunno about the rest, but with this one doesn't he say it as you look up at Seto? I think he's saying "That's Seto's Corpse", but because it's still Seto but just petrified to death (or that it's a bit harsh saying "there's your dead father") he stops himself and just says "That's Seto". That makes sense, thanks.

bore in this context is past-tense of "bear," and the line should have read:

"All the anger and hatred I bore for him made it impossible for me to ever forget him."
Ah, I see... I never actually heard of the word "bore" in that contents before, thanks.

Probably means his future will be very eventful or strenuous. Which is ironic because this fortune comes true, along with "Be careful of forgetfulness" .... and for all we know, Cloud's lucky color could very well be blue XD[/QUOTE]

It's said before the fortune that you're no doubt thinking of, but you could still be right. (On a side note, I know Holy was mostly white, but to me, it had a blue-ish hint to it...)

Cloud: ...Hmmm. That's how you'll fool them.
Aeris: ....Hmmmmmm. So that's how you fooled them.
......no comment.

I didn't include this line because, although it is put in badly, I guessed what it *could* mean the second time I played the game. I also think that making Aeris say "you'll fool" and Cloud saying "you fooled" would be nearer to what they may have been trying to say. I think that the line was supposed to be Cloud pointing out that the men outside are so attracted to Aeris she can "use" them now ("Hmmm. That's how you fooled them.") and Aeris is basically saying that Cloud will have to do the same thing, as he is going to have to be a she pretty soon ("Hmmmmmm. So that's how you'll fool them.". That's my take on it anyway.

The proper spelling is "decipher". I see similar types of phrases used in other science fiction television shows and films when it comes to these types of situations, so I think that the translators were simply trying to insert some dialogue for the sake of making it more than it is. Does that make sense? It is interesting that the game has so many errors like this. I wonder what a modern day script would do for this game?

I had a feeling it was spelled wrong, I dunno why I didn't just spell check the damn thing *edits*, but yeah the rest of what you say makes sense. I think for the most part it would be the same game, with the odd things that came out weird, not coming out wierd. And the things that are named after things making sense - also Barret was far less Mr. T in the original script, so I'm told.

What it would do is be make a lot more sense. There's some guys working on a retranslation mod for the PC version of FF7.
Yes, he's a former member here, and he has a list of all the things that need changing - he's done really well with it, but I haven't seen the game in action.

Elly
02-02-2011, 04:23 AM
actualy i always took the second Seto to be Buggenhagen lamenting Seto's fate as i always read it with a rather sad quiet tone...
as for the dialogue outside the honeybee inn we've already had that discussion and the PC version has the correct translation which makes way more sense...

MJN SEIFER
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
actualy i always took the second Seto to be Buggenhagen lamenting Seto's fate as i always read it with a rather sad quiet tone...
as for the dialogue outside the honeybee inn we've already had that discussion and the PC version has the correct translation which makes way more sense...

Is that really the correct translation? I always thought that looked like some stupid fanboy translation, that someone put there as a joke! They don't even know what kind of place the Honeybee INN is yet - so how could Cloud be going in as an "excuse" as Aeris puts it?

The Seto thing makes sense.

Elly
02-02-2011, 12:44 PM
you don't exactly know they don't know just because the player doesn't know, i'm sure as characters of their world they would be aware of a place that has a "reputation"... as for the translation it is official, the translation is one of the things they tried to fix for the PC release...

MJN SEIFER
02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
you don't exactly know they don't know just because the player doesn't know, i'm sure as characters of their world they would be aware of a place that has a "reputation"... as for the translation it is official, the translation is one of the things they tried to fix for the PC release...

That's a shame - I always thought that my interperation was funnier. But if it's official I can't argue.