PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as fantasy-punk?

G13
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure what else to call it.

I'm looking for books or short stories - or any example - of steampunk that has been effectively blended with fantasy. I've had a wild hair to incorporate something like that in a story I'm working on but I lack any inspiration, and basically don't really know what I'm dealing with.

Books would be most helpful, art might be too. If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about it would be greatly appreciated if you dropped some names or links my way. :monster:

Mirage
02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I was of the impression that there was fantasy in most steampunk settings. Or do you mean specifically a medieval fantasy settings?

Bunny
02-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I was of the impression that there was fantasy in most steampunk settings. Or do you mean specifically a medieval fantasy settings?

Steampunk mostly runs around science fiction and historical settings with very few fantasy elements. If I'm understand G13 correctly, he wants a fantasy setting with steampunk ideas woven in and around. The best match that I can think of that comes even close is Gaslamp Fantasy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslamp_fantasy) or something close to that.

Arcanum: Of Steamwords and Magick Obscura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura) is a game that might be something along these lines, though I'm not entirely sure if it is what you are looking for.

From a literally standpoint, you might want to check out Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter and/or The Dragons of Babel. They might be along the lines of what you are looking for. Justina Robson's Quantum Gravity series might also work out, as would Michael Stover's Acts of Caine series.

Mirage
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Sci fi is also fantasy :p

Bunny
02-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Scifi is a type of fiction. Fantasy is also a type of fiction. They differ greatly, regardless of what bookstores will have you believe.

Jessweeee♪
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
There is if you make some!

kotora
02-02-2011, 01:33 AM
final fantasy

McLovin'
02-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Final Fantasy 8 and 9?

kotora
02-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't think there are any machines running on steam in FF8

Rostum
02-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Scifi is a type of fiction. Fantasy is also a type of fiction. They differ greatly, regardless of what bookstores will have you believe.

I'm sorry, but this is probably one of the most false statements I've read on this forum in a long time. You should probably do a little bit of research before you try and state something like that as fact.

Jessweeee♪
02-02-2011, 02:19 AM

I'm sorry, but this is probably one of the most false statements I've read on this forum in a long time. You should probably do a little bit of research before you try and state something like that as fact.

Of all of the things you've read on this forum, that makes the list? Really? :confused:

Ouch!
02-02-2011, 02:22 AM
The division between science fiction and fantasy as genres is actually a greatly debated topic.

A logical argument might suggest that fantasy fiction is any fiction which occurs in a fantastical world (either a constructed world or an alternate Earth). The fantastical elements of this world explained by one of two means: the inclusion of magic or that of pseudo-science.

By this definition, fantasy may be used to describe multiple different sub genres which would include science fiction.

Often the two are separated simply on the basis that science fiction encompasses such a significant body of work as to justify it as a genre of its own. Ultimately, though, the definitive difference between fantasy (in this context I mean this to include such subgenres as high or epic fantasy, low fantasy, sword and sorcery, etc.) and science fiction (in this context I mean this to include such subgenres as hard and soft science fiction, space opera, and the various -punk fictions) is that one uses magic or the supernatural to explain an alternate reality while the other uses science or probably more commonly pseudo-science.

The various -punk fictions (cyberpunk, dieselpunk, steampunk, clockpunk) are generally considered science fiction as they exploit pseudo-science to explain an alternate reality.

As far as steampunk fantasy goes, I can't think of any literature that engages this combination. The inclusion of magic in a world is rarely juxtaposed with the technology definitive of steampunk in novels to my knowledge. It's significantly more prominent in video games. The perfect example which springs to mind is Final Fantasy IX which moves from a magic-based airships (Mist) to steam-based airships.

Unless you want to consider industrialization in fantasy, then I could probably think of a few things. The Wheel of Time is a fantasy series which deals with the effects of a rising industrialization leading to steam-based engines and the development of other technologies contemporary to such advancements. That's not quite the same as steampunk though.

Rostum
02-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Of all of the things you've read on this forum, that makes the list? Really? :confused:

I'm a drama queen. :D

Bunny
02-02-2011, 02:33 AM

Next time you should do a little research, or at least provide a single reason why something is wrong, before stating something as fact. I don't mind being wrong, but if you can't bring anything to back up your words, then just shut up. Don't rely on other people to do your work for you.

G13
02-02-2011, 04:57 AM

Well to me steampunk seems more catered to science fiction, like in Firefly, than to fantasy stories like LotR, which is what I'm writing about now. Medieval is a good way to put it I suppose.

Steampunk mostly runs around science fiction and historical settings with very few fantasy elements. If I'm understand G13 correctly, he wants a fantasy setting with steampunk ideas woven in and around. The best match that I can think of that comes even close is Gaslamp Fantasy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslamp_fantasy) or something close to that.

Arcanum: Of Steamwords and Magick Obscura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura) is a game that might be something along these lines, though I'm not entirely sure if it is what you are looking for.

From a literally standpoint, you might want to check out Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter and/or The Dragons of Babel. They might be along the lines of what you are looking for. Justina Robson's Quantum Gravity series might also work out, as would Michael Stover's Acts of Caine series.

Excellent! I had a feeling you'd be the most help in this area, Bunny. I'll definitely be giving these a look. :monster:

There is if you make some!

That's the idea... hopefully. I believe I chatted with Mogi about my idea, maybe not the steampunk bit though. I wonder if he remembers any of it. :D

Timekeeper
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM

I played and loved this game, I think it fits the description nicely.

I have a feeling Jiro is/was writing something that would fit, but I'm probably terribly wrong, so ignore this xD

G13
02-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh, I'll have to ask him about that. See if he had any inspiration behind it.