PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye cruel world.

.:kerrod:.
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Soooo this thing is about to hit where I live (well, the whole state, really), hence the title of the thread:
Tropical Cyclone Threat Map Page (1) (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml)
MTSAT Infrared Colorized Image Loop - Satellite Services Division - Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution (http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html)
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/02/01/1225998/250467-cyclone-comparison-graphic-inside.gif

The last link is a comparison to Hurricane Katrina (along with some other cyclones/hurricanes that have hit Australia [the size of 'Yasi' has just been upgraded to 600km point-to-point, by the way]) and I was just wondering if it's gotten a mention in the news in other places around the world. Considering that it rivals that devastating hurricane, it probably should (though, to be fair, it hasn't hit land just yet...got a few hours), but I always assume that the world hears pretty much nothing about Australia :p so yeah, has anybody else from other countries heard about this spiral of doom or are we just floundering on our lonesome down here?

Mirage
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
that's what you get for living in crazy weather areas

now excuse me while i go take a walk in -25C outdoors

Aurey
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM
That's nuts, hopefully it weakens and doesn't cause too much damage. Stay safe, here's hoping you guys make it out OK.

We've been getting snow storms here pretty much every week now. Expecting one tomorrow, too. Also, in between storms it's been frightfully cold, makes walking to work just that little bit more fun.

Bunny
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I haven't heard about it but that's probably because I avoid watching the news at all costs.

Aerith's Knight
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
If we've learned anything from twister, tie yourself to a pole and try to dodge flying cows.

Shaibana
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
those kind of messages makes me love my cold, dutch weather ^^

Shlup
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Make it come here! I want to flllyyyyy!

Peegee
02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Make it come here! I want to flllyyyyy!

They'd need two tractor beams to lift you up. Oh wait that was the Simpsons.

I should totally start a thread about that.

Tai-Ti
02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
QLD is pretty down on it's luck of late :/ I live on the NSW South Coast, and I must say, weather here has been hot, hot, and HOT. No cyclones. There have however, been an abundance of tins popping up asking for our spare change to go towards QLD.

Yar
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
We don't have time to worry about cyclones we're preoccupied with SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011

o_O
02-02-2011, 01:22 AM
You poor QLDers. I've sat here in NSW watching mother nature beat up Queensland for weeks. I hope the damage is less than forecast; but at least it's staying out of Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

And yeah, tons of flood relief appeals going on down here.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Soooo this thing is about to hit where I live (well, the whole state, really), hence the title of the thread:
Tropical Cyclone Threat Map Page (1) (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml)
MTSAT Infrared Colorized Image Loop - Satellite Services Division - Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution (http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html)
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/02/01/1225998/250467-cyclone-comparison-graphic-inside.gif

The last link is a comparison to Hurricane Katrina (along with some other cyclones/hurricanes that have hit Australia [the size of 'Yasi' has just been upgraded to 600km point-to-point, by the way]) and I was just wondering if it's gotten a mention in the news in other places around the world. Considering that it rivals that devastating hurricane, it probably should (though, to be fair, it hasn't hit land just yet...got a few hours), but I always assume that the world hears pretty much nothing about Australia :p so yeah, has anybody else from other countries heard about this spiral of doom or are we just floundering on our lonesome down here?

What is this "Australia" you speak of? Is it a pastry? or some sort of flightless water fowl? :confused:

escobert
02-02-2011, 03:25 AM
We don't have time to worry about cyclones we're preoccupied with SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011
!!!
I'm really hoping I don't have to work tomorrow! :D

sharkythesharkdogg
02-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Okay, I did some more reading, and one article showed the storm super imposed over different continents. I used to do meteorology for the Air Force, so I wasn't taken in quite as much by the size as some might be.The moisture shield takes up a larger area than normal, but the storm itself is still pretty honking big. Smurf me sideways!

Good luck down there.

Here's a link to the article. kerrod's little visitor (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870)

Shaibana
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
saw in the newspaper that Queensland is being evacuated :o

p.s haven read all previous comment, but ill bet some1 else has alrdy made this comment? ^^

escobert
02-02-2011, 09:46 PM
!!!
I'm really hoping I don't have to work tomorrow! :D

Had to work today :(

Iceglow
02-03-2011, 01:33 AM
All joking aside, all posting links to songs such as "Only happy when it rains" towards my Austrailian friends on facebook I do hope the damage wasn't/isn't too severe I know the reports from Cairns is it wasn't too bad but Cairns is too far north for it to have been severely affected by it.

Timekeeper
02-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Ah yes, the Australian Summer :)

Is anyone here from North QLD?

Jiro
02-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Kerrod lives in Townsville/Ayr but apart from that, I think we're all SE Qld. We've copped it hard lately, but it's just Qlds turn. The other states have had their disasters.

PS Kerrod is fine but may or may not be without internet. Nobody died from super cyclone, as far as I know.

.:kerrod:.
02-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Whoo! Just got my power back after 2 days :D Anywho, yeah they evacuated a few areas because of the storm surge, etc. but only in a few towns...didn't get too much serious damage in my town (just some fallen trees, etc., heaps of debris, the usual) because I only got it at about category 3 ('cause by the time it hit, I was near an outer edge of it, unlike the poor people who were still in the raging category 5 centre :p). I haven't actually heard much about the damage it's caused because of my power outage, but what I have heard is that there haven't yet been any deaths reported, which is always a bonus (very surprising though), so now I feel like I've overreacted. Haha, I'm going to read about the towns it hit now though, so I'll soon find out.

EDIT: Haha, wow, that was almost simultaneous, Jiro...and yes, that's what I've heard too :D

Timekeeper
02-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Good to know you're ok!

I've just heard no deaths, but there was one birth in one of the shelters :D

Tai-Ti
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Good to know people are ok :) I don't need another channel 10 news-a-thon of reporters standing in puddles.

Timekeeper
02-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Only channel 10?

I was sure they were all doing it!