PDA

View Full Version : FF7-Inspired Album, "Black Materia"

Tranquil
02-03-2011, 08:32 AM
This album is awesome. The lyrics, beats, and theme, everything in this album is accurate, meaningful, and it sounds great.

Get it on Amazon: Amazon.com: Black Materia: Final Fantasy VII: Random (Mega Ran) and Lost Perception: MP3 Downloads (http://amzn.to/bmateria)
It's also available on Bandcamp: Black Materia: Final Fantasy VII | Random (Mega Ran) (http://random.bandcamp.com/album/black-materia-final-fantasy-vii)

Random also has several other gaming-related albums, he goes by "Mega Ran" and has made several albums on Mega Man beats.

If you are a Final Fantasy fan and you're not into hip-hop, give this a chance. It's not that garbage rap music that you hear in the year 2011. This is some really creative and awesome stuff. If you are a hip-hop fan and you loved the game, you're simply not a real fan if you don't have this album. Buy this, I'm serious. In just a few days, I see that this album has been extremely successful and I hope that what people take from this is that Mega Ran is not just a great nerdcore artist or a guy who can rap about Final Fantasy, he's a really talented and creative hip-hop artist overall.

ZeroFusion
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I listened to the samples available at Amazon and I have to say (not being a fan of hiphop at all) that I did hear not a bit of awesomeness you speak about. To me, it sounded just like a voice on top of FF-themed background music.

Maybe it's just that hiphop isn't my cup of tea but I didn't like it at all. On the other hand, I appreciate the idea of a hiphop cover of FF music.

Ouch!
02-05-2011, 03:07 AM
It's not just that hiphop isn't your cup of tea. It's just that it's awful.

cloud_doll
02-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Ugh. Good try, but no.

Jiro
02-13-2011, 06:54 AM
I listened to Don of the Slums first and it was balls. Then I listened to Cosmo Canyon, because I feared what had happened to such a beautiful track in game. It... was okay. Not great but it wasn't as rubbish as the previous one. One Winged Angel wasn't too bad either.

So some of the tracks aren't rubbish, but the nail in the coffin is the fact that the lyrics are way too obvious. I mean, are you kidding? It's basically a recount of the story told in song.

Not a fan, sorry

Del Murder
04-26-2011, 08:04 PM
I saw this album mentioned in Game Informer and was interested and wanted to see if there was a thread about it. So I guess it isn't that good? I'll try and remember to listen to a track later and find out for myself.

Jiro
04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
If you don't mind hearing the plot of FFVII rapped to you then it's pretty decent. It just jarred with me a little.

DK
06-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I love FFVII, and and hip hop, so done well this would be like the most awesome thing ever to me. Unfortunately it is gash. Like pure, unadulterated gash. I'm quite upset with this man for ruining my fond childhood memories of a great game and great soundtrack. :colbert:

Yar
06-03-2011, 11:26 PM
nerdcore meets hip hop. I'm going to barf.