PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of a word between aardvark and zymurgy

Pages : [1] 2

blackmage_nuke
02-06-2011, 08:34 AM
In this thread you will try to guess the word I am thinking of and I will respond higher or lower to clue you in on whether you're guess comes before (lower) or after (higher) the answer alphabetically.

But you wont just be posting one word guesses, oh no, you have to work for your points. With every guess you have to post a definition along with it. I will accept entries from dictionary.com or just by typing "define [word]" into google

Hopefully we can use this game as a way to increase our vocabularies.

I'll probably only respond to the guesses which will most limit the range of guessing.

(eg if the answer is cat and people guess; ant, bunny, dog and elephant, then i will say higher than bunny and lower than dog.)

1 guess per post

I will not use any words begining with captial letters (Names, places and the such) and all words will be atleast 3 letters long.

BEGIN

Rantzien: 1
Remon: 3
Sharkythesharkdogg: 7
Jentleness: 6
Martyr: 1

As an added incentive I will rep each winning post! But don't stand aside just because you feel bad about hogging rep, this is a cut throat game with no room for mercy.

Jiro
02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
This sounds hard and complex. My guess is syzygy

Rantz
02-06-2011, 12:28 PM
odiferous

yielding or diffusing an odor.

Psychotic
02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Diphthong.

A diphthong also known as a gliding vowel, refers to two adjacent vowel sounds occurring within the same syllable.

Timekeeper
02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Ochlocracy

Government by the mob.

Incidentally one of my favourite words, I love the way it sounds when said correctly, and that it can easily be said wrong.

blackmage_nuke
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
This sounds hard and complex. My guess is syzygy

Remember you need to post it with a definition

Diphthong.

A diphthong also known as a gliding vowel, refers to two adjacent vowel sounds occurring within the same syllable.

Lower

sharkythesharkdogg
02-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Alliteration - the commencement of two or more stressed syllables of a word group either with the same consonant sound or sound group (consonantal alliteration), as in from stem to stern, or with a vowel sound that may differ from syllable to syllable (vocalic alliteration), as in each to all. Compare consonance ( def. 4a ) .

Although, that's probably higher than diphthong already if I understand the rules correctly......

Jiro
02-07-2011, 07:23 AM
I missed the part where I had to post a definition. I forget the definition of syzygy, so let's just pick a new one.

ITT we try to impress everyone with our wordage, so:
Man
an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.

EDIT: Wait it seems you have arranged the alphabet upside down. So lower is closer to A, higher is closer to Z. Now that I am no longer completely fucking retarded, I would like to just wait and see where Alliteration gets us.

Rantz
02-07-2011, 07:26 AM
cruciferous

–adjective
1. bearing a cross.
2. Botany . belonging to the Cruciferae, the mustard family of plants.

blackmage_nuke
02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Alliteration - the commencement of two or more stressed syllables of a word group either with the same consonant sound or sound group (consonantal alliteration), as in from stem to stern, or with a vowel sound that may differ from syllable to syllable (vocalic alliteration), as in each to all. Compare consonance ( def. 4a ) .

Although, that's probably higher than diphthong already if I understand the rules correctly......

Thats fine, Higher

cruciferous

–adjective
1. bearing a cross.
2. Botany . belonging to the Cruciferae, the mustard family of plants.

Lower

Timekeeper
02-08-2011, 04:33 AM
EDIT: Wait it seems you have arranged the alphabet upside down. So lower is closer to A, higher is closer to Z. Now that I am no longer completely smurfing retarded, I would like to just wait and see where Alliteration gets us.
Upside down? If you numerically listed the letters of the alphabet, wouldn't A be 1?
Moving on,

Birdman!
1. an ornithologist.
2. a bird watcher.
3. a person who keeps or tends birds.
4. a person who hunts birds for food or sport; fowler.
5. Informal . aviator.

blackmage_nuke
02-08-2011, 07:19 AM
EDIT: Wait it seems you have arranged the alphabet upside down. So lower is closer to A, higher is closer to Z. Now that I am no longer completely smurfing retarded, I would like to just wait and see where Alliteration gets us.
Upside down? If you numerically listed the letters of the alphabet, wouldn't A be 1?
Moving on,

Birdman!
1. an ornithologist.
2. a bird watcher.
3. a person who keeps or tends birds.
4. a person who hunts birds for food or sport; fowler.
5. Informal . aviator.

That was my thinking, Higher

Rantz
02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Byzantine.

–adjective
1. of or pertaining to Byzantium.
2. of or pertaining to the Byzantine Empire.
3. noting or pertaining to the architecture of the Byzantine Empire and to architecture influenced by or imitating it: characterized by masonry construction, round arches, impost blocks, low domes on pendentives, the presence of fine, spiky foliage patterns in low relief on stone capitals and moldings, and the use of frescoes, mosaics, and revetments of fine stone to cover whole interiors.
4. Fine Arts . pertaining to or designating the style of the fine or decorative arts developed and elaborated in the Byzantine Empire and its provinces: characterized chiefly by an ecclesiastically prescribed iconography, highly formal structure, severe confinement of pictorial space to a shallow depth, and the use of rich, often sumptuous color.
5. ( sometimes lowercase ) complex or intricate: a deal requiring Byzantine financing.
6. ( sometimes lowercase ) characterized by elaborate scheming and intrigue, especially for the gaining of political power or favor: Byzantine methods for holding on to his chairmanship.
7. of or pertaining to the Byzantine Church.

blackmage_nuke
02-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Byzantine.

–adjective
1. of or pertaining to Byzantium.
2. of or pertaining to the Byzantine Empire.
3. noting or pertaining to the architecture of the Byzantine Empire and to architecture influenced by or imitating it: characterized by masonry construction, round arches, impost blocks, low domes on pendentives, the presence of fine, spiky foliage patterns in low relief on stone capitals and moldings, and the use of frescoes, mosaics, and revetments of fine stone to cover whole interiors.
4. Fine Arts . pertaining to or designating the style of the fine or decorative arts developed and elaborated in the Byzantine Empire and its provinces: characterized chiefly by an ecclesiastically prescribed iconography, highly formal structure, severe confinement of pictorial space to a shallow depth, and the use of rich, often sumptuous color.
5. ( sometimes lowercase ) complex or intricate: a deal requiring Byzantine financing.
6. ( sometimes lowercase ) characterized by elaborate scheming and intrigue, especially for the gaining of political power or favor: Byzantine methods for holding on to his chairmanship.
7. of or pertaining to the Byzantine Church.

Higher!

Jiro
02-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I just stacked them.
A
B
C
etc

Which is why I was confused. I will learn to read rules properly.

Shinabi
02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
cacaesthesia

Abnormal dysfunctional sensations on the skin; such as, a feeling of numbness, tingling, prickling, or a burning or cutting pain; heightened sensitivity. Also, dysesthesia and paresthesia.

Remon
02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Byzantium
1. The Byzantine Empire.
2. An ancient city of Thrace on the site of present-day Istanbul, Turkey. It was founded by the Greeks in the seventh century b.c. and taken by the Romans in a.d. 196. Constantine I ordered the rebuilding of the city in 330 and renamed it Constantinople.

blackmage_nuke
02-11-2011, 09:53 PM
cacaesthesia

Abnormal dysfunctional sensations on the skin; such as, a feeling of numbness, tingling, prickling, or a burning or cutting pain; heightened sensitivity. Also, dysesthesia and paresthesia.

Higher

Just for a quick recap we now know the word is between cacaesthesia and cruciferous

Remon
02-11-2011, 10:04 PM
cacaesthesia

Higher

Just for a quick recap we now know the word is between cacaesthesia and cruciferous

Really?

Then
Corgard:
- a beta-adrenergic blocking agent (trade name Corgard) that is used to treat hypertension and angina.

It also made me look into angina and adrenergic XD

blackmage_nuke
02-12-2011, 12:46 AM
cacaesthesia

Higher

Really?

Then
Corgard:
- a beta-adrenergic blocking agent (trade name Corgard) that is used to treat hypertension and angina.

It also made me look into angina and adrenergic XD

Lower

We're getting close now

Rantz
02-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Cetacean -> whales and dolphins and stuffz

–adjective
1. belonging to the Cetacea, an order of aquatic, chiefly marine mammals, including the whales and dolphins.
–noun
2. a cetacean mammal.

Remon
02-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Clique
- A small group of people who stick together and do not mix with other people.

blackmage_nuke
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Clique
- A small group of people who stick together and do not mix with other people.

Higher

Remon
02-12-2011, 07:08 PM
So between Clique and Corgard.

Coagulate
-When a liquid coagulates, it gets thicker.

blackmage_nuke
02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
So between Clique and Corgard.

Coagulate
-When a liquid coagulates, it gets thicker.

Higher

Between Coagulate and Corgard

Remon
02-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I decided I'd use words I like, rather than the hard to understand ones :p

Cognac
- A kind of brandy, named after the district in France where it is produced.

blackmage_nuke
02-14-2011, 05:08 AM
I decided I'd use words I like, rather than the hard to understand ones :p

Cognac
- A kind of brandy, named after the district in France where it is produced.

Higher

Cognac to Corgard

Jentleness
02-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Oooh, this game looks fun!

Computer: one that computes; specifically : a programmable usually electronic device that can store, retrieve, and process data

blackmage_nuke
02-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Oooh, this game looks fun!

Computer: one that computes; specifically : a programmable usually electronic device that can store, retrieve, and process data

Lower

Cognac to Computer

Jentleness
02-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Hmmm

collaborate: to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor

blackmage_nuke
02-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Hmmm

collaborate: to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor

Higher

Collaborate and Computer

Rantz
02-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Comanche

— n , -ches , -che
1. a member of a Native American people, formerly ranging from the River Platte to the Mexican border, now living in Oklahoma
2. the language of this people, belonging to the Shoshonean subfamily of the Uto-Aztecan family

Remon
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Cologne
-A type of scented or perfumed water named after the city of Cologne.

blackmage_nuke
02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Comanche

— n , -ches , -che
1. a member of a Native American people, formerly ranging from the River Platte to the Mexican border, now living in Oklahoma
2. the language of this people, belonging to the Shoshonean subfamily of the Uto-Aztecan family
Lower

Cologne
-A type of scented or perfumed water named after the city of Cologne.
Higher

Cologne and Comanche

Caboose
02-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Colony
–noun, plural -nies.
a group of people who leave their native country to form in a new land a settlement subject to, or connected with, the parent nation.

blackmage_nuke
02-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Colony
–noun, plural -nies.
a group of people who leave their native country to form in a new land a settlement subject to, or connected with, the parent nation.

Higher

Colony and Comache

Jentleness
02-15-2011, 05:19 AM
color : a phenomenon of light (as red, brown, pink, or gray) or visual perception that enables one to differentiate otherwise identical objects

blackmage_nuke
02-15-2011, 07:15 AM
color : a phenomenon of light (as red, brown, pink, or gray) or visual perception that enables one to differentiate otherwise identical objects

Lower

Colony and Color

Rantz
02-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Can't be that many words in between those xD

Colophon

–noun
1. a publisher's or printer's distinctive emblem, used as an identifying device on its books and other works.
2. an inscription at the end of a book or manuscript, used especially in the 15th and 16th centuries, giving the title or subject of the work, its author, the name of the printer or publisher, and the date and place of publication.

blackmage_nuke
02-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Can't be that many words in between those xD

Colophon

–noun
1. a publisher's or printer's distinctive emblem, used as an identifying device on its books and other works.
2. an inscription at the end of a book or manuscript, used especially in the 15th and 16th centuries, giving the title or subject of the work, its author, the name of the printer or publisher, and the date and place of publication.

Congragulations the first point goes to Rantzien!

Further more I shall bestow upon every Winner a rep point! As though vocabulary education wasnt enough incentive!

From now on I'll give the starting letter of the word so the game can move a bit faster. We'll go from A-Z (skipping c)

So this round the word begins with A

GO!

Rantz
02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Woo!

Antipodes

an·tip·o·des [an-tip-uh-deez]

–plural noun
1. places diametrically opposite each other on the globe.
2. those who dwell there.

blackmage_nuke
02-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Woo!

Antipodes

an·tip·o·des [an-tip-uh-deez]

–plural noun
1. places diametrically opposite each other on the globe.
2. those who dwell there.

Lower

A..... to Antipodes

Jentleness
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Aficionado: a person who likes, knows about, and appreciates a usually fervently pursued interest or activity

blackmage_nuke
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Aficionado: a person who likes, knows about, and appreciates a usually fervently pursued interest or activity

Lower

A..... to Aficionado

Jentleness
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Adenohypophysis: the anterior glandular lobe of the pituitary gland

Rantz
02-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Aesthesia

[es-thee-zhuh, -zhee-uh, -zee-uh]

–noun
capacity for sensation or feeling; sensitivity.

Remon
02-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Abominable
- Very unpleasant or shocking.

blackmage_nuke
02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Abominable
- Very unpleasant or shocking.

Lower

A..... to Abominable

Remon
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Abactinal

- zoology (of organisms showing radial symmetry) situated away from or opposite to the mouth; aboral

Rantz
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Abient.

[ab-ee-uhnt]

–adjective Psychology .
tending to move away from a stimulus or situation.

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Abient.

[ab-ee-uhnt]

–adjective Psychology .
tending to move away from a stimulus or situation.

Higher

Abient to Abominable

Jentleness
02-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Abjure:
a : to renounce upon oath
b : to reject solemnly

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 04:07 AM
Abjure:
a : to renounce upon oath
b : to reject solemnly

Lower

Abient and Abjure

Jentleness
02-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Abiogenic: not produced by the action of living organisms

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Abiogenic: not produced by the action of living organisms

Higher

Abiogenic to Abjure

Jentleness
02-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Abiotrophy: the loss of vitality in or the degeneration of certain cells or tissues, as in the aging process.

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Abiotrophy: the loss of vitality in or the degeneration of certain cells or tissues, as in the aging process.

Higher

Abiotrophy to Abjure

Jentleness
02-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Abirritant:
–noun
1. a soothing medication.
–adjective
2. relieving or lessening irritation; soothing.

Wow, trying to read your mind can be exhausting!

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Abirritant:
–noun
1. a soothing medication.
–adjective
2. relieving or lessening irritation; soothing.

Wow, trying to read your mind can be exhausting!

Congratulations! The point goes to Jentleness!

The next word will begin with B

Jentleness
02-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Yeah!

Bleary-eyed: having the eyes dimmed and watery (as from fatigue, drink, or emotion).

I am now going to go to bed, because I am bleary-eyed...(do we get extra points for using it in a sentence, too?!?!) :D

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah!

Bleary-eyed: having the eyes dimmed and watery (as from fatigue, drink, or emotion).

I am now going to go to bed, because I am bleary-eyed...(do we get extra points for using it in a sentence, too?!?!) :D

Lower

B...... to Bleary-eyed

Rantz
02-16-2011, 08:39 AM
belfry

[bel-free]

–noun, plural -fries.
1. a bell tower, either attached to a church or other building or standing apart.
2. the part of a steeple or other structure in which a bell is hung.
3. a frame of timberwork that holds or encloses a bell.
4. Slang. head; mind: a belfry full of curious notions.

Remon
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Balaclava
- A balaclava is a close-fitting woolen hood that covers every part of your head except your face. Balaclava is the name of a place in Russia, at a battle there in the Crimean War in 1854, British soldiers wore these hoods to protect themselves from the cold.

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 09:53 AM
belfry

[bel-free]

–noun, plural -fries.
1. a bell tower, either attached to a church or other building or standing apart.
2. the part of a steeple or other structure in which a bell is hung.
3. a frame of timberwork that holds or encloses a bell.
4. Slang. head; mind: a belfry full of curious notions.

Higher

Belfry to Bleary-eyed

Jiro
02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I... you guys are insane. And awesome. Awesomely insane.

Billet

–noun
lodging for a soldier, student, etc., as in a private home or nonmilitary public building.
Military . an official order, written or verbal, directing the person to whom it is addressed to provide such lodging.
a place assigned, as a bunk, berth, or the like, to a member of a ship's crew.
job; position; appointment.
Archaic . a written note, short letter, or the like.

Rantz
02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Oh Jiro, you with your blandiloquence.

Blan*dil"o*quence\, n.
[L. blandiloquentia; blandus mild + loqui to speak.]
Mild, flattering speech.

Remon
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Bewray
–verb (used with object) Archaic.
1. to reveal or expose.
2. to betray.

Jiro
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I think Rantzien just made me blush! :blush:

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Bewray
–verb (used with object) Archaic.
1. to reveal or expose.
2. to betray.

Lower

Belfry to Bewray

(I will totally try and fit Billet and blandiloquence into a conversation tommorow)

Remon
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm adding blandiloquence to my everyday vocabulary XD

Benthos

–noun
the biogeographic region that includes the bottom of a lake, sea, or ocean, and the littoral and supralittoral zones of the shore.
Also called benthic division, benthonic zone .

Origin:
1890–95; < Greek bénthos depth (of the sea); akin to bathos, bathy-

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm adding blandiloquence to my everyday vocabulary XD

Benthos

–noun
the biogeographic region that includes the bottom of a lake, sea, or ocean, and the littoral and supralittoral zones of the shore.
Also called benthic division, benthonic zone .

Origin:
1890–95; < Greek bénthos depth (of the sea); akin to bathos, bathy-

Lower
Belfry to Benthos

Jentleness
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Belligerent
1: waging war; specifically : belonging to or recognized as a state at war and protected by and subject to the laws of war
2: inclined to or exhibiting assertiveness, hostility, or combativeness

When I was a little girl I had a rabbit named Belligerent Bunny, because he would have no qualms of biting the hand that fed him...bad bunny!!! :(

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Belligerent
1: waging war; specifically : belonging to or recognized as a state at war and protected by and subject to the laws of war
2: inclined to or exhibiting assertiveness, hostility, or combativeness

When I was a little girl I had a rabbit named Belligerent Bunny, because he would have no qualms of biting the hand that fed him...bad bunny!!! :(

Lower

Belfry to Belligerent

Jentleness
02-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Belladonna:

1: an Old World poisonous plant (Atropa belladonna) of the nightshade family having purple or green bell-shaped flowers, glossy black berries, and root and leaves that yield atropine —called also deadly nightshade
2: a medicinal extract (as atropine) from the belladonna plant

OK, off to work I go! Have fun figuring this one out! :D

Rantz
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Belive

lahyv]

–adverb Scot.
before long; soon.

Timekeeper
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Belk
- To vomit.

I'll admit I have never heard of this word, I just wanted there to be a word that was spelled that way...

Remon
02-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Bellicose
-(adjective; a literary word) eager to start a fight or an argument.
From Latin bellicosus meaning "warlike".

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Bellicose
-(adjective; a literary word) eager to start a fight or an argument.
From Latin bellicosus meaning "warlike".

A winner is you! You will be awarded with your game point and rep point shortly!

The next word begins with a D

GO!

Remon
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
w00t!

Dipsomania
- Dipsomania is a compulsive craving for alcohol.
From Greek dipsa meaning 'thirst' adn -mania meaning 'craving'.

blackmage_nuke
02-16-2011, 10:12 PM
w00t!

Dipsomania
- Dipsomania is a compulsive craving for alcohol.
From Greek dipsa meaning 'thirst' adn -mania meaning 'craving'.

Higher

Dipsomania to D.....

Jiro
02-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Doctrine

–noun
a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.
something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.
a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Jentleness
02-17-2011, 05:19 AM
Dysplasia: abnormal growth or development as of organs or cells.

Remon
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Draconian

- Very severe, oppressive or strict, deriving from Draco, an Athenian lawyer who sought the death penalty in every trial.

blackmage_nuke
02-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Dysplasia: abnormal growth or development as of organs or cells.

Lower

Draconian

- Very severe, oppressive or strict, deriving from Draco, an Athenian lawyer who sought the death penalty in every trial.

Higher

Draconian to Dysplasia

Rantz
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Drupe

[droop]

–noun Botany.
any fruit, as a peach, cherry, plum, etc., consisting of an outer skin, a usually pulpy and succulent middle layer, and a hard and woody inner shell usually enclosing a single seed.

Bonus adjective (not a guess): drupaceous

[droo-pey-shuhs]

–adjective Botany.
1. resembling or relating to a drupe; consisting of drupes.
2. producing drupes: drupaceous trees.

Remon
02-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Dulcet (dull-sit)
- Gentle, pleasant, and soothing to listen to.
From Latin dulcis meaning 'sweet'.

blackmage_nuke
02-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Drupe

[droop]

–noun Botany.
any fruit, as a peach, cherry, plum, etc., consisting of an outer skin, a usually pulpy and succulent middle layer, and a hard and woody inner shell usually enclosing a single seed.

Higher

Dulcet (dull-sit)
- Gentle, pleasant, and soothing to listen to.
From Latin dulcis meaning 'sweet'.

Lower

Drupe to Dulcet

sharkythesharkdogg
02-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Dulaman - n - (old Irish in origin) 1) a type of edible seaweed 2) a style of Irish folk music.

blackmage_nuke
02-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Dulaman - n - (old Irish in origin) 1) a type of edible seaweed 2) a style of Irish folk music.

Lower

Drupe to Dulaman

Jentleness
02-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Duchesse
1: a chaise longue with arms that was popular in 18th century France
2 also duchess : a fine lustrous rayon or silk satin for clothing
3: a very small cream puff with sweet or savory filling used as dessert or served with cocktails

blackmage_nuke
02-18-2011, 06:01 AM
Duchesse
1: a chaise longue with arms that was popular in 18th century France
2 also duchess : a fine lustrous rayon or silk satin for clothing
3: a very small cream puff with sweet or savory filling used as dessert or served with cocktails

Lower

Drupe to Duchesse

Jentleness
02-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Druthers: one's own way, choice, or preference

Rantz
02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Dryshod

–adjective
having or keeping the shoes dry.

blackmage_nuke
02-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Druthers: one's own way, choice, or preference

Lower

Drupe to Druthers

Remon
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Druse
- an unusually beautiful crust of small crystals on the surface of a rock or mineral.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
drusen -n- Tiny yellow or white deposits in the retina of the eye or on the optic nerve head.

The post above made me think of this one. ha ha!

blackmage_nuke
02-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Druse
- an unusually beautiful crust of small crystals on the surface of a rock or mineral.

Bingo!

Next word starts with E!

sharkythesharkdogg
02-19-2011, 01:38 AM
GYAAAAAH!!!!! so close!!!!

entomology - n- The scientific study of insects.

Jentleness
02-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Eyre: a circuit traveled by an itinerant justice in medieval England or the court he presided over.

blackmage_nuke
02-19-2011, 05:41 AM
GYAAAAAH!!!!! so close!!!!

entomology - n- The scientific study of insects.

Higher

Eyre: a circuit traveled by an itinerant justice in medieval England or the court he presided over.

Lower

entomology to Eyre

Jentleness
02-19-2011, 05:48 AM
Exudatorium: one of the papillae present on certain ant and termite larvae that secrete substances attractive to adults of the same species.

blackmage_nuke
02-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Exudatorium: one of the papillae present on certain ant and termite larvae that secrete substances attractive to adults of the same species.

Lower

entomology to Exudatorium

Levian
02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Epileptic Seizure

What you get after watching too many cartoons.

Jentleness
02-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Enzymology: a branch of biochemistry that deals with the properties, activity, and significance of enzymes

Remon
02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Evanescence
- The event of fading and gradually vanishing from sight; "the evanescence of the morning mist"

blackmage_nuke
02-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Ignoring Levian's "guess"

Enzymology: a branch of biochemistry that deals with the properties, activity, and significance of enzymes

Higher

Evanescence
- The event of fading and gradually vanishing from sight; "the evanescence of the morning mist"

Lower

Enzymology to Evanescence

Jentleness
02-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Euthoscopic: capable of perceiving the presence, direction, and relative intensity of light but unable to form a visual image

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Euthoscopic: capable of perceiving the presence, direction, and relative intensity of light but unable to form a visual image

Lower

Enzymology to Euthoscopic

Jentleness
02-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Equicaloric: capable of yielding equal amounts of energy in the body.

This is game is much more fun when there is a lot of competition going on. I wish more people would play! I don't want to be the only one guessing. :(

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Equicaloric: capable of yielding equal amounts of energy in the body.

This is game is much more fun when there is a lot of competition going on. I wish more people would play! I don't want to be the only one guessing. :(

Higher

Equicaloric to Euthoscopic

I assume the times when people are playing depend on time difference, (and how bored they are at work)

Jentleness
02-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Eructation: an act or instance of belching http://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Emotions/Eating/burp.gif

I'm pretty bored right now :bored:

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Eructation: an act or instance of belching http://www.smileyarena.com/emoticons/Emotions/Eating/burp.gif

I'm pretty bored right now :bored:

Higher

Eructation to Euthoscopic

Jentleness
02-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Escarpment:
1: a steep slope in front of a fortification
2: a long cliff or steep slope separating two comparatively level or more gently sloping surfaces and resulting from erosion or faulting

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Escarpment:
1: a steep slope in front of a fortification
2: a long cliff or steep slope separating two comparatively level or more gently sloping surfaces and resulting from erosion or faulting

Higher

Escarpment to Euthoscopic

Jiro
02-20-2011, 08:28 AM
eurythmics - a rhythmic interpretation of music with graceful, free-style dance movements

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2011, 08:48 AM
eurythmics - a rhythmic interpretation of music with graceful, free-style dance movements

Lower

Escarpment to eurythmics

Remon
02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Ethereal (ith-ee-ree-al)
- light and delicate, e.g her ethereal beauty.

Jentleness
02-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Espagnolette:
1: a fastening for a French door or casement window consisting of a long rod with hooks at the top and bottom of the sash both of which are turned by a single handle to hook around fixed pins in the window frame
2: a small metal dome with a nipple used as an ornament (as on the top of a cabinet post) in French 18th century furniture making

Levian
02-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Eternal
-Something everlasting.

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Ethereal (ith-ee-ree-al)
- light and delicate, e.g her ethereal beauty.

Higher

Ethereal to eurythmics

Jentleness
02-20-2011, 11:44 PM
ethernet: a computer network architecture consisting of various specified local-area network protocols, devices, and connection methods

Levian
02-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Eurasia
-a supercontinent

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Eurasia
-a supercontinent

Lower

Ethereal to Eurasia

Jentleness
02-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Eurasia
-a supercontinent

I believe the definition of Eurasia is:

landmass of Asia & Europe —chiefly used to refer to the two continents as one continent

Levian
02-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Eubrachyura
-group of crustaceans

Jentleness
02-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Eudaemon: a good or benevolent demon or spirit.

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Eudaemon: a good or benevolent demon or spirit.

Higher

Eudaemon to Eurasia

Jentleness
02-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Euglobulin: a simple protein that does not dissolve in pure water

Jentleness
02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Euphemism: the substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant; also : the expression so substituted

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Euphemism: the substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant; also : the expression so substituted

higher

Euphemism to Eurasia

Jentleness
02-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Euphoria: a feeling of well-being or elation

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Euphoria: a feeling of well-being or elation

Lower

Euphemism to Euphoria

Jentleness
02-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Euphony:
1: pleasing or sweet sound; especially : the acoustic effect produced by words so formed or combined as to please the ear
2: a harmonious succession of words having a pleasing sound

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Euphony:
1: pleasing or sweet sound; especially : the acoustic effect produced by words so formed or combined as to please the ear
2: a harmonious succession of words having a pleasing sound

I was actually looking for euphonious but you're close enough

Next word begins with F

Levian
02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Fiction

any form of narrative which deals, in part or in whole, with events that are not factual, but rather, imaginary and invented by its author(s)

Rantz
02-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Floriferous

[flaw-rif-er-uhs, floh-]

–adjective
flower-bearing.

Remon
02-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Fop
- (noun; an old fashioned word) A fop is a man who is very conscious of fashion and looking elegant.
foppish (adj) - I like this :p

Jentleness
02-21-2011, 05:28 PM
I was actually looking for euphonious but you're close enough

Yes, it is hard to read someone's mind, I saw that there were several forms of the same word in the dictionary list so I took a stab at it. Thank you for awarding me the point, I worked hard for it!

Fusillade:
1: a: a number of shots fired simultaneously or in rapid succession b: something that gives the effect of a fusillade
2: a spirited outburst especially of criticism

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Fiction

any form of narrative which deals, in part or in whole, with events that are not factual, but rather, imaginary and invented by its author(s)

Higher

Floriferous

[flaw-rif-er-uhs, floh-]

–adjective
flower-bearing.

Lower

Fiction to Floriferous

Remon
02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Fixity
-The fixity of someone's gaze, concentration, or attitude is its steadiness.

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Fixity
-The fixity of someone's gaze, concentration, or attitude is its steadiness.

Lower

Fiction to fixity

Jentleness
02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Finesse:
1: refinement or delicacy of workmanship, structure, or texture
2: skillful handling of a situation : adroit maneuvering
3: the withholding of one's highest card or trump in the hope that a lower card will take the trick because the only opposing higher card is in the hand of an opponent who has already played

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Finesse:
1: refinement or delicacy of workmanship, structure, or texture
2: skillful handling of a situation : adroit maneuvering
3: the withholding of one's highest card or trump in the hope that a lower card will take the trick because the only opposing higher card is in the hand of an opponent who has already played

Lower

Fiction to Finesse

Jentleness
02-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Filiopietistic: of or relating to an often excessive veneration of ancestors or tradition

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Filiopietistic: of or relating to an often excessive veneration of ancestors or tradition

Higher

Filiopietistic to Finesse

Rantz
02-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Fimbriate

–adjective
1. Also, fim·bri·at·ed. Botany, Zoology. having a border of hairs or filiform processes.
–verb (used with object)
2. Heraldry. to line (an ordinary) with a thin border of a different tincture.

Remon
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Finch
- Any of numerous small passerine birds of the family Fringillidae, including the buntings, sparrows, crossbills, purple finches, and grosbeaks, most of which have a short, conical bill adapted for eating seeds.

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Fimbriate

–adjective
1. Also, fim·bri·at·ed. Botany, Zoology. having a border of hairs or filiform processes.
–verb (used with object)
2. Heraldry. to line (an ordinary) with a thin border of a different tincture.

higher

Finch
- Any of numerous small passerine birds of the family Fringillidae, including the buntings, sparrows, crossbills, purple finches, and grosbeaks, most of which have a short, conical bill adapted for eating seeds.

lower

Fimbriate to Finch

Jentleness
02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Finasteride: a nitrogenous steroid derivative C23H36N2O2 that is used especially to treat symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia and to increase hair growth in male-pattern baldness

blackmage_nuke
02-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Finasteride: a nitrogenous steroid derivative C23H36N2O2 that is used especially to treat symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia and to increase hair growth in male-pattern baldness

low

Fimbriate to Finasteride

Remon
02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Finagle

verb (used with object)
to trick, swindle, or cheat a person.
to get or achieve by guile, trickery, or manipulation.

Jentleness
02-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Finality:
1: a : the character or condition of being final, settled, irrevocable, or complete b : the condition of being at an ultimate point especially of development or authority
2: something final; especially : a fundamental fact, action, or belief

blackmage_nuke
02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Finagle

verb (used with object)
to trick, swindle, or cheat a person.
to get or achieve by guile, trickery, or manipulation.

Ding

Next word starts with G

Remon
02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
All right! XD

Gin
- Gin is a strong, colorless alcoholic drink made from grain and juniper berries.

I have a thing for alcohol names :p

sharkythesharkdogg
02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Guile -n- 1) insidious cunning in attaining a goal; crafty or artful deception; 2) an awesome character from the Street Fighter video game franchise :p

Jentleness
02-24-2011, 05:27 AM
godsend: a desirable or needed thing or event that comes unexpectedly

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Guile -n- 1) insidious cunning in attaining a goal; crafty or artful deception; 2) an awesome character from the Street Fighter video game franchise :p

low

godsend: a desirable or needed thing or event that comes unexpectedly

high

Guile to Godsend

Rantz
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
grovet (ˈɡrɒvət)

— n
a wrestling hold in which a wrestler in a kneeling position grips the head of his kneeling opponent with one arm and forces his shoulders down with the other

Jentleness
02-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Gossipmonder: a person who starts or spreads gossip

Remon
02-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Grisly
- Very nasty and horrible.
From Old English grislic meaning 'causing horror'.

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Grisly
low

Guile to Grisly

sharkythesharkdogg
02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
guano -n- a substance composed mainly of the feces of cave dwelling bats or birds

EDIT: ah, that's not right.

I'll think of something....

Remon
02-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Grisly
low

Guile to Grisly

Don't you mean Grovet to Guile? :confused:

Anyway

Guava
- A guava is a round, yellow tropical fruit with pink or white flesh and hard seeds.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Just to keep it straight in my simple brain, shouldn't it be...

Grisly to Guile

low to high

or am I getting it backwards again.

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2011, 10:58 PM
oops
sorry guys

I meant

Godsend to Grisly

Jentleness
02-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Greige: being in an unbleached undyed state as taken from a loom —used of textiles

blackmage_nuke
02-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Greige: being in an unbleached undyed state as taken from a loom —used of textiles

low

Godsend to Greige

Jentleness
02-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Gourmand
1: one who is excessively fond of eating and drinking
2: one who is heartily interested in good food and drink

sharkythesharkdogg
02-25-2011, 01:27 PM
grenadier -n- 1) a : a soldier who carries and throws grenades b : a member of a special regiment or corps formerly armed with grenades 2) Also called rat-tail, rat tail. any of several deep-sea fishes of the family Macrouridae, having an elongated, tapering tail.

blackmage_nuke
02-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Im all for more words being used in the game for educational purposes but arent unless im crazy those two are outside of Godsend to Greige

sharkythesharkdogg
02-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Now that I look at it, my word is. Grenadier is too low. Gourmand is eligible.

The way I understand the rules, at this point Jentleness has won or it's somewhere between gourmand and greige.

Jentleness
02-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Now that I look at it, my word is. Grenadier is too low. Gourmand is eligible.

The way I understand the rules, at this point Jentleness has won or it's somewhere between gourmand and greige.

Lol I wish it were that easy (it is hard to read blackmage_nuke's mind)! However, I do agree that Gourmand does come after Godsend and before Greige. :)

sharkythesharkdogg
02-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Goyim -n,pl- plural form of the word goy. 1) A non-Jew; can be used as a disparaging term for one who is not a Jew 2) A Jew who is ignorant of the Jewish religion

I really doubt that's it, but it will help narrow things up a bit.

blackmage_nuke
02-26-2011, 09:06 AM
My bad Lack of sleep lately.

Goyim -n,pl- plural form of the word goy. 1) A non-Jew; can be used as a disparaging term for one who is not a Jew 2) A Jew who is ignorant of the Jewish religion

I really doubt that's it, but it will help narrow things up a bit.

Goyim to Greige

Levian
02-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Gratis
Gratis is the process of providing goods or services without compensation. It is often referred to in English as "free of charge"

Jentleness
02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Gradient
1: a : the rate of regular or graded ascent or descent : inclination b : a part sloping upward or downward
2: change in the value of a quantity (as temperature, pressure, or concentration) with change in a given variable and especially per unit distance in a specified direction
3: the vector sum of the partial derivatives with respect to the three coordinate variables x, y, and z of a scalar quantity whose value varies from point to point
4: a graded difference in physiological activity along an axis (as of the body or an embryonic field)
5: change in response with distance from the stimulus

sharkythesharkdogg
02-26-2011, 03:03 PM
This should narrow things up from the other end.

grease –n-
1. The melted or rendered fat of animals, especially when in a soft state.
2. Fatty or oily matter in general; lubricant.
3.Also called grease wool . wool, as shorn, before being cleansed of the oily matter.
4. Also called grease-heel Veterinary Pathology . inflammation of a horse's skin in the fetlock region, attended with an oily secretion.
5. Informal . a bribe.

–verb (used with object)
6. To put grease on; lubricate: to grease the axle of a car.
7. To smear or cover with grease.
8. To cause to occur easily; smooth the way; facilitate.
9. Informal . to bribe.
—Idiom
10. grease someone's palm. palm1 ( def. 19 ) .

Remon
02-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Gracile
–adjective
gracefully slender.
slender; thin.

blackmage_nuke
02-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Gratis
Gratis is the process of providing goods or services without compensation. It is often referred to in English as "free of charge"

Gradient
1: a : the rate of regular or graded ascent or descent : inclination b : a part sloping upward or downward
2: change in the value of a quantity (as temperature, pressure, or concentration) with change in a given variable and especially per unit distance in a specified direction
3: the vector sum of the partial derivatives with respect to the three coordinate variables x, y, and z of a scalar quantity whose value varies from point to point
4: a graded difference in physiological activity along an axis (as of the body or an embryonic field)
5: change in response with distance from the stimulus

Gradient to Gratis

Rantz
02-27-2011, 09:25 AM
graphicacy (ˈɡræfɪkəsɪ)

— n
the ability to understand and use maps, plans, symbols, etc

blackmage_nuke
02-27-2011, 11:28 AM
graphicacy (ˈɡræfɪkəsɪ)

— n
the ability to understand and use maps, plans, symbols, etc

Gradient to Graphicacy

Remon
02-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Graft
- A piece of healthy flesh or a healthy organ which is used to replace by surgery a damaged or unhealthy part of a person's body.

Jentleness
02-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Graminivorous: feeding on grass or the seeds of grass

sharkythesharkdogg
02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Gramophone -n- 1) an early device for recording and playing music. Also called a phonograph.

blackmage_nuke
02-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Correct

Next word begins with H

sharkythesharkdogg
02-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice job, jentleness!

Hedonism -n- 1: the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in life 2: a way of life based on or suggesting the principles of hedonism

Jentleness
02-28-2011, 01:27 AM

Correct

Next word begins with H

Huzzah!!! :D

Huzzah: an expression or shout of acclaim —often used interjectionally to express joy or approbation

Rantz
02-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Holocryptic

Hol`o*cryp"tic\, a. [Holo-+ Gr. ? to conceal.] Wholly or completely concealing; incapable of being deciphered.
Holocryptic cipher, a cipher so constructed as to afford no clew to its meaning to one ignorant of the key.

blackmage_nuke
02-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Correct

Next word begins with H

Huzzah!!! :D

Huzzah: an expression or shout of acclaim —often used interjectionally to express joy or approbation

Holocryptic

Hol`o*cryp"tic\, a. [Holo-+ Gr. ? to conceal.] Wholly or completely concealing; incapable of being deciphered.
Holocryptic cipher, a cipher so constructed as to afford no clew to its meaning to one ignorant of the key.

Holocryptic to Huzzah

Remon
02-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Homily
- A homily is a speech telling people how they should behave.
From Greek homilia meaning 'sermon'.

Jentleness
02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Hubris: exaggerated pride or self-confidence

Rantz
02-28-2011, 02:07 PM
At first I was gonna be all "Hey now, weren't you going to bed" but then I realised that was 7 hours ago. :p

Hough

[hok; Scot. hokh]
–noun
1. Scot. hock (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hock)
–verb (used with object)
2. Scot. to hamstring.
–verb (used without object)
3. British Dialect Obsolete . to clear the throat; hack.

Jentleness
03-01-2011, 01:28 AM
At first I was gonna be all "Hey now, weren't you going to bed" but then I realised that was 7 hours ago. :p

Yes, I got about 6 hours sleep and boy could I have used a couple of more!

Hotchpotcha : a thick soup or stew of vegetables, potatoes, and usually meat

sharkythesharkdogg
03-01-2011, 03:12 AM
hodograph -n- from Greek "hodos" and "grapho," meaning path-writing

1a) is a plot of the velocity of a particle as a function of time.

1b) a diagram that gives a vectorial visual representation of the movement of a body or a fluid.

blackmage_nuke
03-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Hubris: exaggerated pride or self-confidence

Hubris to Huzzah

Jentleness
03-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Humoresque: a typically whimsical or fanciful musical composition

Remon
03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Hullabaloo
- A lot of noise or fuss.

blackmage_nuke
03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Humoresque: a typically whimsical or fanciful musical composition

Hullabaloo
- A lot of noise or fuss.

Hullabaloo to Humoresque

Remon
03-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Humbug
-Something intended to delude or deceive.

Rantz
03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Humblehead

Hum"ble*head`\, n. [Humble + -head.] Humble condition or estate; humility. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Holon -n- from the Greek holos = whole, with the suffix on which, as in proton or neutron, suggests a particle or part.

1) something that is whole and also part of something greater.

blackmage_nuke
03-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Humbug
-Something intended to delude or deceive.

Humbug to Humoresque

sharkythesharkdogg
03-02-2011, 04:11 AM
humerus -n- is the long bone in the arm or forelimb that runs from the shoulder to the elbow.

Jentleness
03-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Humectant: a substance that promotes retention of moisture

Rantz
03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Hummock

[huhm-uhk]
–noun
1. Also, hammock. an elevated tract of land rising above the general level of a marshy region.
2. a knoll or hillock.
3. Also, hommock. a ridge in an ice field.

blackmage_nuke
03-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Hooray!

Next word begins with I

Jentleness
03-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Hooray!

Next word begins with I

Oh yeah!!!

Isothermal

1: of, relating to, or marked by equality of temperature

2: of, relating to, or marked by changes of volume or pressure under conditions of constant temperature

Remon
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Ignoble
- Person who behaves in a dishonorable way.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-03-2011, 12:43 AM

Hooray!

Next word begins with I

Hooray!

Next word begins with I

Oh yeah!!!

Isothermal

2: of, relating to, or marked by changes of volume or pressure under conditions of constant temperature

Damn you woman!!! I pick

Igneous -n- 1) of, relating to, or resembling fire : fiery
2) a : relating to, resulting from, or suggestive of the intrusion or extrusion of magma or volcanic activity b : formed by solidification of magma <igneous rock>

Although at this rate I should pick ignoramus. :roll2:p

blackmage_nuke
03-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Hooray!

Next word begins with I

Oh yeah!!!

Isothermal

Ignoble
- Person who behaves in a dishonorable way.

Ignoble to Isothermal

Jentleness
03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Damn you woman!!! I pick

2) a : relating to, resulting from, or suggestive of the intrusion or extrusion of magma or volcanic activity b : formed by solidification of magma <igneous rock>

Sorry Sharky I can't help myself :tongue:

Ignoramus:: an utterly ignorant person : dunce

blackmage_nuke
03-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Damn you woman!!! I pick

Sorry Sharky I can't help myself :tongue:

Ignoramus:: an utterly ignorant person : dunce

Ignoramus to Isothermal

sharkythesharkdogg
03-04-2011, 02:10 AM
isentropic -adj.- 1) having equal entropy 2) without change in entropy, constant entropy

can we guess more than one?

ischium -n- from the Greek word ischion, meaning hip 1) The lowest of the three major bones that constitute each half of the pelvis.

Jentleness
03-04-2011, 03:47 AM
Iontophoresis: the introduction of an ionized substance (as a drug) through intact skin by the application of a direct electric current

blackmage_nuke
03-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Iontophoresis: the introduction of an ionized substance (as a drug) through intact skin by the application of a direct electric current

Ignoramus to Iontophoresis

Jentleness
03-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Imbricate: lying lapped over each other in regular order <imbricate scales>

sharkythesharkdogg
03-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Ilk -n- 1. family, class, or kind: he and all his ilk. –adj-2. the same.
—Idiom 3. of that ilk, a. (in Scotland) of the same family name or place: Ross of that ilk, i.e., Ross of Ross. b. of the same class or kind.

blackmage_nuke
03-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Imbricate: lying lapped over each other in regular order <imbricate scales>

Imbricate to Iontophoresis

Jentleness
03-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Inamorata: a woman with whom one is in love or has intimate relations

blackmage_nuke
03-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Inamorata: a woman with whom one is in love or has intimate relations

Inamorata to Iontophoresis

Jentleness
03-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Invaginate:
1: enclose, sheathe
2: to fold in so that an outer becomes an inner surface

sharkythesharkdogg
03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Ionosphere -n- a part of the upper atmosphere, comprising portions of the mesosphere, thermosphere and exosphere, distinguished because it is ionized by solar radiation.

Remon
03-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Invaginate

LOL

Inure
- If you become inured to something unpleasant, you become accustomed to it.

blackmage_nuke
03-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Invaginate

LOL

Inure
- If you become inured to something unpleasant, you become accustomed to it.

Inamorata to Inure

Jentleness
03-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Innominate: having no name : unnamed; also : anonymous

Remon
03-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Inculcate
- If you inculcate an idea into someone's mind, you fix it there by repeating it again and again.

blackmage_nuke
03-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Innominate: having no name : unnamed; also : anonymous

Innominate to Inure

Remon
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Inter
- (a formal word) To inter a body means to bury it.
From Latin in- meaning 'in' + terra meaning 'earth'.

Jentleness
03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Inquiline: an animal that lives habitually in the nest or abode of some other species

blackmage_nuke
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Inter
- (a formal word) To inter a body means to bury it.
From Latin in- meaning 'in' + terra meaning 'earth'.

Inquiline: an animal that lives habitually in the nest or abode of some other species

Inquiline to Inter

Jentleness
03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Inspissated: thickened in consistency; broadly : made or having become thick, heavy, or intense

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Inspissated: thickened in consistency; broadly : made or having become thick, heavy, or intense

Inspissated to Inter

Remon
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Instigate
1. To cause by incitement; foment: to instigate a quarrel.
2. To urge, provoke, or incite to some action or course: to instigate the people to revolt.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
insouciance -n- 1) lack of care or concern; indifference.

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Instigate
1. To cause by incitement; foment: to instigate a quarrel.
2. To urge, provoke, or incite to some action or course: to instigate the people to revolt.

Instigateto to Inter

Jentleness
03-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Intarsia:
1: a mosaic usually of wood fitted into a support; also : the art or process of making such a mosaic
2: a colored design knitted on both sides of a fabric

sharkythesharkdogg
03-08-2011, 03:07 AM
intaglio -n- –noun
1. incised carving, as opposed to carving in relief.
2. ornamentation with a figure or design sunk below the surface.
3. a gem, seal, piece of jewelry, or the like, cut with an incised or sunken design. 4. an incised or countersunk die.
5. a figure or design so produced.
6. a process in which a design, text, etc., is engraved into the surface of a plate so that when ink is applied and the excess is wiped off, ink remains in the grooves and is transferred to paper in printing, as in engraving or etching.
7. an impression or printing from such a design, engraving, etc.

blackmage_nuke
03-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Instigateto to Intaglio

Jentleness
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Insuperable: incapable of being surmounted, overcome, passed over, or solved

Remon
03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Insular
- Someone who is insular is isolated and is unwilling to mix with others or to consider new ideas.
From Latin insula meaning 'island'

blackmage_nuke
03-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Insular
- Someone who is insular is isolated and is unwilling to mix with others or to consider new ideas.
From Latin insula meaning 'island'

Instigateto to Insular

Remon
03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Instil - If you instil an idea or feeling into someone, you make them feel or think it, usually gradually.
From latin instillare meaning 'to pour in a drop at a time'

Jentleness
03-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Insufflation: an act or the action of blowing on, into, or in: as
a : a Christian ceremonial rite of exorcism performed by breathing on a person
b : the act of blowing something (as a gas, powder, or vapor) into a body cavity

|-THE redmage-|
03-09-2011, 08:22 PM
instruct:

1. direct or command someone to do something
2. to teach a subject or skill
3. give a person direction, information, or authorization

blackmage_nuke
03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Insufflation: an act or the action of blowing on, into, or in: as
a : a Christian ceremonial rite of exorcism performed by breathing on a person
b : the act of blowing something (as a gas, powder, or vapor) into a body cavity

CORRECT AGAIN!

I shall insufflate a rep point into your account and your points count!

Next word starts with J!

Jentleness
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I love this game!!! J is for Jentleness - An awesome vacab genius!!! :D

Seriously though,

Jingoism: extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

|-THE redmage-|
03-10-2011, 02:11 PM
juxtapose: place or deal with close together for contrasting effect

Remon
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Jonquil
- A jonquil is a flowering spring bulb, which has clusters of sweet-scented white or yellow flowers.
From Spanish junquillo meaning 'little reed'.

blackmage_nuke
03-12-2011, 03:51 AM
juxtapose: place or deal with close together for contrasting effect

Jonquil
- A jonquil is a flowering spring bulb, which has clusters of sweet-scented white or yellow flowers.
From Spanish junquillo meaning 'little reed'.

Jonquil to juxtapose

Jentleness
03-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Jujube:
a : an edible drupaceous fruit of any of several trees (genus Ziziphus) of the buckthorn family; especially : one of an Asian tree (Z. jujuba)
b : a tree producing this fruit
2: a fruit-flavored gumdrop or lozenge