PDA

View Full Version : The Shake Weight

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the Shake Weight, and does anyone on this forum have one?

Bunny
02-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I have not heard of a "Shake Weight". What, pray tell, is this object of obvious grandeur?

Peegee
02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Is it something you can eat? I'm hungry.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Handjob simulator.

PeTeRL90
02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
^Beat me to it.

I think I'll just stick with free weights and dumbbells.

Shlup
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
A couple of my friends have gotten them as gag gifts. The commercial makes it looks like they move due to some electronic device and your workout is to stabilize it. Really, it's just a piece of plastic that you jiggle. It's not heavy, and making the motion smooth enough to jiggle it properly is... ridiculous to say the least.

You would be just as well off picking up any one-pound object in your house and shaking your fist in the air.

Shiny
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Why would anyone have a shake weight should be the question.

JKTrix
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Saw the 'Men's version' on clearance for $10 at a store here, so said why not. The men's version is a little heavier. And I didn't see any of the commercials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbsSeVr5NSI) for it until after I'd already bought it (I don't have Cable TV or anything like that). The heavy-breathing beefcake probably would have turned me off of it completely.

I don't use it much, but it definitely is a workout. Shlup might have been using some hyperbole, but I can say that it is not the same as just picking up any random thing and shaking it.

Ouch!
02-08-2011, 09:53 PM
When Johnny Knoxville was on campus promoting Jackass 3-D, some frat guy came running up just after the signing was over shouting out, "Johnny Knoxville! Johnny Knoxville! Sign my shake weight!" and Johnny Knoxville said, "Hell yes, I'll sign that shake weight!"

Yar
02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
We were playing with it at a party.

Ahh, alcohol and dick jokes. What more could a guy ask for?

GhandiOwnsYou
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Jalapeno Poppers. I mean, if I was going to add on to that list, I'd probably go with jalapeno poppers. After that, I think you'd pretty much be set.

Shlup
02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Jalapeno Poppers. I mean, if I was going to add on to that list, I'd probably go with jalapeno poppers. After that, I think you'd pretty much be set.

And we have a winner.

Of course, the next day your stomach is gonna pay the price for that combo.

Laddy
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Use a real penis, it's the same thing, but it's for a good cause.

Peegee
02-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Use a real penis, it's the same thing, but it's for a good cause.

I approve of this. Pics?

Laddy
02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Then you would go to jail.

Of course, it's a real workout, lady! You're doing a huge service! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHUdvvHTkw)

NorthernChaosGod
02-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't use it much, but it definitely is a workout. Shlup might have been using some hyperbole, but I can say that it is not the same as just picking up any random thing and shaking it.
I think that may be why.

Shlup
02-09-2011, 01:06 AM
It's certainly does't work as well as, say, an actual weight.

NorthernChaosGod
02-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Maybe JKTrix just has really girly arms.

G13
02-09-2011, 08:58 AM
An ex gf of mine bought one once. I couldn't help but think "You'll do it for exercise but not for recreation?"

Women. :roll2

Rantz
02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Heyyy. That commercial said something about dynamic inertia. And it had a man in a white coat pointing at graphs. How can it not be legit?

SuperMillionaire
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
The female version weighs 2.5 pounds, and the male version weighs 5 pounds. I'd like to see them go higher, though.

As far as I know, and I forgot to mention this in the introductory post, but the female version sells for $19.95, and the male version sells for $29.95.

Mirage
02-09-2011, 03:52 PM
It's as if no one knows that half of the stuff hanging down from under your arms are actually just muscles. Muscles aren't firm unless you flex them, so naturally the underside of your arms will hang a bit when you relax. Unless you have really smurfing huge muscles, but something tells me girls don't really want that.

The shakeweight has been a prime target for jokes for quite some time on health and fitness related message boards. I wouldn't get one even if you paid me to.

Peegee
02-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Heyyy. That commercial said something about dynamic inertia. And it had a man in a white coat pointing at graphs. How can it not be legit?

I asked rubahs what dynamic inertia meant and she smacked me :(

Shiny
02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
The female version weighs 2.5 pounds, and the male version weighs 5 pounds. I'd like to see them go higher, though.

As far as I know, and I forgot to mention this in the introductory post, but the female version sells for $19.95, and the male version sells for $29.95.

That's pretty dumb considering 5 pounds is nothing to most people. Even as a four year old I had no problem lifting 5 pounds.

Bunny
02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't get one even if you paid me to.

Well that's just kind of silly.

JKTrix
02-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm only answering this seriously because SuperMillionaire seems to have a little bit of genuine interest in it.

The shake weight is not about lifting. It's about the resistance you get when you shake it. Getting much heavier than it is, and using it 'properly', could actually be pretty dangerous. It is not comparable to picking up a solid object of similar weight and just shaking it. The thing is designed so that the device feels 'heavier' the harder and faster you shake it. Its magnitude of adjustability, based directly on your effort, is something that solid devices just can't do.

I don't think I would have bought it if I saw it was $30 (recall I saw it for $10). After all I knew I wouldn't use it much and $30 can get me things I would want/use more. Just wanted to point out that it's not as pointless as folks here are saying it is.

Of course 'real equipment' and proper gym training or whatever would be better. But those don't cost $30 (or $10) and you generally can't do them while sitting on your couch.

Peegee
02-09-2011, 06:27 PM

That's pretty dumb considering 5 pounds is nothing to most people. Even as a four year old I had no problem lifting 5 pounds.

Yes but did you do 5000 reps of 5 lbs in 2 minutes? The oscillating momentum velocity friction factor accelerates your metabolism to allow for sustained fat burning maintained well beyond the workout period.

Shiny
02-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Yes but did you do 5000 reps of 5 lbs in 2 minutes? The oscillating momentum velocity friction factor accelerates your metabolism to allow for sustained fat burning maintained well beyond the workout period.

No, but I benched 80 pounds and ran laps at the age of eight. 2.5 and 5 pounds is not enough for people to get a good work out.

Iceglow
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM

No, but I benched 80 pounds and ran laps at the age of eight. 2.5 and 5 pounds is not enough for people to get a good work out.

You're forgetting the basic rules of physics here, a 5lb weight moving at a speed will through inertia feel heavier the faster you move an object the more G force it will develop. Based on this what starts as lifting a 5lb weight can through physics become the equivalent of repping a much higher weight. It's not about the movement of lifting the weight it's about the compression of the muscles so if you do the equivalent of 5000 reps with this thing at high speed you could in theory be doing 5000 reps a day of a much heavier weight. Shiny may have been able to bench 80lbs at the age of 8 but could she do it 5000 times in a day? I doubt it, in fact could any of us realistically bench 60lbs 5000 times in a 24 hour period?

And incase you missed it, Trix has already posted essentially the same damn thing I just said here:

I'm only answering this seriously because SuperMillionaire seems to have a little bit of genuine interest in it.

The shake weight is not about lifting. It's about the resistance you get when you shake it. Getting much heavier than it is, and using it 'properly', could actually be pretty dangerous. It is not comparable to picking up a solid object of similar weight and just shaking it. The thing is designed so that the device feels 'heavier' the harder and faster you shake it. Its magnitude of adjustability, based directly on your effort, is something that solid devices just can't do.

I don't think I would have bought it if I saw it was $30 (recall I saw it for $10). After all I knew I wouldn't use it much and $30 can get me things I would want/use more. Just wanted to point out that it's not as pointless as folks here are saying it is.

Of course 'real equipment' and proper gym training or whatever would be better. But those don't cost $30 (or $10) and you generally can't do them while sitting on your couch.

Peegee
02-10-2011, 12:09 AM
see. that's why i can't oscillate while gripping something with my fist

i'd get tired in 6 mins max

Mirage
02-10-2011, 01:07 AM
I sure hope the shake weight catches on. With workouts being as simple, cheap and efficient as that, there would be no fat people in the world in just a few months!

The shake weight is a product for people who want easy shortcuts to becoming fit, and don't have anywhere near the willpower needed to change their life styles and making real progress. If you buy the shake weight, I can almost guarantee you that you will put it away in a drawer or a box in the attic (or where ever) in a few months from now (at most), and never get anywhere near the shape of the people you see in the advertisement videos.

If you're gonna spend 30 bucks on something, get a dumbell set instead.

Iceglow
02-10-2011, 01:47 AM
I sure hope the shake weight catches on. With workouts being as simple, cheap and efficient as that, there would be no fat people in the world in just a few months!

The shake weight is a product for people who want easy shortcuts to becoming fit, and don't have anywhere near the willpower needed to change their life styles and making real progress. If you buy the shake weight, I can almost guarantee you that you will put it away in a drawer or a box in the attic (or where ever) in a few months from now (at most), and never get anywhere near the shape of the people you see in the advertisement videos.

I'm not defending the shakeweight, realistically unless you go on a very strict/balanced diet and use it alongside other excercise forms which could possibly include lifting dumbells in any case you're not going to see results. What I was defending is the physics theory behind how it works. It's not like that isn't proven. It's almost similar to the one where if I lift a 25kg box at maximum arms reach to stack it in terms of what I lifted on my spine and the damage I could cause I may as well have lifted properly a 250kg box (the damage possible equating to lifting something 10x heavier) this is why manual handling is so important to be taught properly. However, I think that because of the physics behind it the Shakeweight could truly work, maybe not as effectively as they paint in that ad but it could work, the theory is sound enough. I used to pump some iron (desperately need to get myself new dumbells) but considering I don't get the time I'd like of a day for a full work out I could forsee if it worked even at just twice the effectiveness of a dumbells set the logic of such a piece of kit. Then again people like you are also the kind of people who say games like Your Shape Fitness Evolved on the Kinect sensor can't improve someone's health or fitness, from experience I can say that I did burn plenty of calories and lost weight demonstrating that game and the Kinect Sports games over the xmas period, a period when 90% of people tend to gain weight. All things can work just needs commitment to the cause.

As for your comments bout looking anything near the guy in the ad...hate to break it to ya people but he's a pro body builder, he probably eats around 4000 calories a day minimum most of it chicken or carbohydrates such as rice. He probably pisses pure Whey shakes and spends his entire life in a gym, can't remember when he last touched anything remotely bad for his health and at one stage has at the least considered using steroids to get his muscles. None of us unless we gave up having social lives outside of our local gym are likely to ever look like him or close to him. He was insanely muscled compared to guys I work with who literally do body build training on a religious scale.

NorthernChaosGod
02-10-2011, 01:48 AM
If you can do an exercise more than 12 times, you need to up the weight. :|

Shiny
02-10-2011, 03:45 AM

Exactly! Much more effective. Even the smallest of dumbells -- well maybe not the rubber ones, are more effective than the shake weight.

Bunny
02-10-2011, 03:51 AM
I prefer to exercise my mind.

Peegee
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM

>implying that dbz and their 50000 rep sets doesn't build super saiyan bodies

Clo
02-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I've only ever seen them purchased as gag gifts.

I almost figured that's what they were for.

kotora
02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I guess it kinda works like my powerball

NorthernChaosGod
02-11-2011, 01:49 AM

>implying works for non-azns

Raistlin
02-11-2011, 03:50 AM
I've only ever seen them purchased as gag gifts.

I almost figured that's what they were for.

Yeah I'm still a little bit mind boggled that people actually buy them seriously.

Also, obligatory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tVw8_CFMA).

NorthernChaosGod
02-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Lol, cab fare.

ReloadPsi
02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Nothing beats good ol' actual weight for me. Feels like I've accomplished more somehow.

SuperMillionaire
02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
I'd like to see them increase the sizes. Let's go up to 10 pounds for women and 20 pounds for men, and see how that works.

Peegee
02-16-2011, 04:57 PM

>implying "asians" have a different physiology sufficient that workout strategies differ

escobert
02-16-2011, 08:21 PM
The shake weight episode of South Park was one of my favorites.

NorthernChaosGod
02-17-2011, 01:15 AM

>implying "asians" have a different physiology sufficient that workout strategies differ

>implying you're not secretly saiyans

kotora
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM

only a tiny proportion of the azn population are. The rest is divided in math-azns and restaurant-azns.

Peegee
02-17-2011, 06:59 PM

only a tiny proportion of the azn population are. The rest is divided in math-azns and restaurant-azns.

which one are you?

SuperMillionaire
02-19-2011, 12:49 AM
"Super Saiyans" don't exist in the real world, and if you want to be a bodybuilder, then you're gonna have to build your body up to lift hundreds (or even thousands) of pounds, and in that case, I don't think the Shake Weight would do you any good, since the principle behind it is to get you lean and toned.

Ouch!
02-19-2011, 02:59 AM
If your goal is general fitness or muscle strength, sure. However, to increase muscle endurance, the goal is to do lower amounts of weights with more reps and more sets.

NorthernChaosGod
02-19-2011, 08:51 AM
If your goal is general fitness or muscle strength, sure. However, to increase muscle endurance, the goal is to do lower amounts of weights with more reps and more sets.

I'm pretty sure stronger muscles can go longer on the lighter weights.

kotora
02-19-2011, 11:50 AM

but not as long as when you'd have specifically trained on it

Mirage
02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
IIRC, muscles trained specifically for endurance have bigger energy reserves inside them than if you just go for maximum power. Of course, a blend of both is what I would think to be optimal.

An example is those who go for those so called push up challenges, and in the end are able to do somewhere in the range of 100-200 pushups in a row, even though they don't look like super buff body builders.

Peegee
02-23-2011, 10:43 PM

but not as long as when you'd have specifically trained on it

See this is a contention I can discuss with gusto.

I (sadly) agree with NCG because I think that you can do more reps with a lower weight, if you can do x reps of a higher weight. However if you deliberately train to be an endurance athlete, you will almost always outlast an athlete who hasn't trained for it.

An example: a long distance marathon runner versus a sprinter or anybody who just runs for fun on a treadmill.

NorthernChaosGod
02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Why sadly? o_O

Mirage
02-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe he wants to increase his stamina stat through the same exercises he uses to increase his strength stat :(

SuperMillionaire
02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
When you do more reps with lower resistance, it's mainly for toning and cardio.

Peegee
02-24-2011, 10:54 PM
What does toning even mean? Are you trying to tell me that exercise causes Tonus? Because that's not guaranteed.

Mirage
02-25-2011, 11:04 AM
in before
>tone

Anyway, i think what most people mean when htey say tone is "lose body fat". It is a pretty dumb and misused term anyway.

Girls says "tone" because if they say "gain muscle" they, and their friends, believe that they'll become a she-hulk overnight.

There are plenty of better ways to lose body fat than using the shake weight. Get your ass outside and run around the block, for example.

Unbreakable Will
02-26-2011, 05:00 AM
"Super Saiyans" don't exist in the real world, and if you want to be a bodybuilder, then you're gonna have to build your body up to lift hundreds (or even thousands) of pounds, and in that case, I don't think the Shake Weight would do you any good, since the principle behind it is to get you lean and toned.
You sir, are a smurfing liar
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx184/Jermayan/134149-dbz3_super.png :doublecolbert:

SuperMillionaire
03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
What does toning even mean? Are you trying to tell me that exercise causes Tonus? Because that's not guaranteed.

in before
>tone

Anyway, i think what most people mean when htey say tone is "lose body fat". It is a pretty dumb and misused term anyway.

Girls says "tone" because if they say "gain muscle" they, and their friends, believe that they'll become a she-hulk overnight.

There are plenty of better ways to lose body fat than using the shake weight. Get your ass outside and run around the block, for example.

The thing is, there are two types of muscle physiques: lean and bulky. A lean physique is described as having small and thin, but firmly-sculpted, muscles. A bulky physique is described as having larger and wider muscles. Girls want lean physiques, not bulky physiques, so doing more reps with lower resistance tones your muscles for that lean physique.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx184/Jermayan/134149-dbz3_super.png :doublecolbert:

That's just the hair, and are you sure it isn't just a digitally-modified picture?

Ouch!
03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm going with a tub of hair gel over shoppin'.

Also, in regards to the endurance vs. strength debate, while I agree with the general principal that if you train with heavier weights you'll be able to do more reps of lower weights, it will not be to the same degree as if you train specifically for muscle endurance. I'm not talking about significantly lowering the weight used, but rather aiming for between 16-20 repetitions.

Then again, endurance training is for very specific purposes and not really of consequence for general fitness.

Also, SuperMillionaire, don't be silly about the lean and bulky physiques. It's the same type of muscle tissue. Using lower weights doesn't generate a different kind of muscle than using larger weights. Sure, there are guys who are absolutely jacked, but that type of body takes years of using extremely heavy weights in very specific ways with very specific lifting programs to develop. Building that much muscle is very difficult to do. Doing more reps at a lower resistance does not necessarily tone your muscles, and research coming out now is beginning to suggest that it's not really doing much of anything important. Stick with the general fitness guidelines from the ACSM: aim for eight to ten strength-training exercises at eight to twelve repetitions per set at least twice a week. When you can comfortably do twelve repetitions, increase your weight a bit. That'll get you the body you want most effectively.

Mirage
03-02-2011, 08:00 PM
There is a difference in fast-twitch/slow-twitch muscle fibers though.

Unbreakable Will
03-02-2011, 09:35 PM

in before
>tone

The thing is, there are two types of muscle physiques: lean and bulky. A lean physique is described as having small and thin, but firmly-sculpted, muscles. A bulky physique is described as having larger and wider muscles. Girls want lean physiques, not bulky physiques, so doing more reps with lower resistance tones your muscles for that lean physique.

That's just the hair, and are you sure it isn't just a digitally-modified picture?
Sigh this is worse than the time my cousins ruined Santa, I just don't know what to believe! :crying2:

NorthernChaosGod
03-03-2011, 01:37 AM

You'll only get big by lifting (and eating) to get big. I'd say a good 80% of people don't know what the fuck they're doing or even talking about when it comes to fitness.

SuperMillionaire
03-06-2011, 05:51 PM
That's why they have these fitness classes and instructional DVDs.

And yes, nutrition plays a factor in there too.

NorthernChaosGod
03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
That doesn't matter, a lot of that stuff is a joke anyway.