PDA

View Full Version : Xmen prequel film and other marvel films Cap America, Thor

spirit
02-11-2011, 01:40 PM
YouTube - X-Men: First Class - Official Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrbHykKUfTM)

I heard it was a reboot, doesn't really come off as a reboot to me as it has footage from the other movies. I'm sort of attracted to the X-men WW2 period of the franchise. So, I'm a little excited for this movie.

Captain America
YouTube - Captain America The First Avenger Official Trailer (2011 Movie) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sff8gNloRRs)

This is sort of cool, because it's a franchise back from the time the film is inspired to take place.

Thor
YouTube - Thor - Trailer (OFFICIAL) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOddp-nlNvQ)
I'm not entirely sure of my opinions on this one, but I'm a fan of Natalie Portman and I am attracted to mythology.

Chris
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Couldn't really care less about Captain America, but the mere thought of another X-Men movie, thrills me beyond belief. Thor looks great, and definitely, probably, worth the time.

NorthernChaosGod
02-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm super excited for Thor. Captain America looks pretty cool. I guess a new X-men movie is neat.

cloud_doll
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM
My ex-boyfriend's name is Thor

Ugh.

I think they all look rather silly.

Bunny
02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Thor looks the most promising of those three trailers. X-Men looks terrible.

Depression Moon
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Fox sucks at making MARVEL movies so I definitely ain't going to support them. The casting of this movie is so damn random and stupid, I wonder if they even really care. Also where'd you get WW2 from in the X-men trailer?

I really hope Cap is at least as good as Batman Begins.

Edit: nevermind. Magneto

Ouch!
02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Apparently First Class will deal with a bit of Xavier and Magneto's origins story (First Class arose from what was originally going to be X-Men Origins: Magneto) which does involve World War II (specifically the Holocaust). As Depression Moon mentioned, though, First Class is a FOX production in association with Marvel. I would thus expect it to be the worst of the three movies.

Thor has Kenneth Brannaugh directing, which is all kinds of interesting for a super hero movie. It also has Natalie Portman in it. Oh, and Anthony Hopkins is playing Odin. Thor will also finally be bringing the supernatural into Marvel's movie universe; so far it's only been Iron Man and Hulk's pseudo-science, so it will be interesting to see how they propose to mesh all of that.

Captain America has Hugh Weaving as Red Skull. If there's anything he showed us in V for Vendetta, that man is amazing underneath a mask, so I have high expectations.

Additionally, an X-Men Origins: Wolverine II is also in development. I understand that it will be involved with the Japan cycle of Wolverine's story, which, as I understand it, is supposed to be one of the best story lines to come out of the X-Men. Not sure on the dates of that. Again, it's Fox so I'm iffy on it.

Additionally additionally, Deadpool is getting his own movie as well. Ryan Reynolds is reprising his role but has confirmed that it will be a retcon of the Deadpool we saw in Origins: Wolverine. Apparently he's a huge Deadpool fan and insisted they do it right this time around, so Deadpool will be breaking the fourth wall. As it is X-Men, this is also Fox. Regular disclaimers apply.

Depression Moon
02-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Deadpool is associated enough to be counted as an X-Men character? From what I hear from other people he started out being a part of Weapon X, but he became his own character throughout the years.

Wolf Kanno told me off for liking X2 so I know he's gonna trip when he comes to this thread.

Ouch!
02-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Deadpool did eventually spin off on his own, but he started as an offshoot of the X-Men. More importantly, Fox owns the rights to him because of his appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Depression Moon
02-11-2011, 09:46 PM
'X-Men: First Class' Mutates History in New Trailer - MOVIE TALK on Yahoo! Movies (http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/627-x-men-first-class-mutates-history-in-new-trailer)

Director Matthew Vaughn told Entertainment Weekly that the 1960s setting makes this film like "X-Men meets [James] Bond, with a little bit of 'Thirteen Days' thrown in." It's clear in the trailer that the style of the '60s is everywhere in the movie, from the character's regular clothes to their X-Men uniforms, which copy the blue-and-yellow color scheme from the original comic books. Obviously, there is a lot of action in the movie, but Vaughn insists there's more to it than that. He said, "It's got a lot of teenage angst. The 'Twilight' girls will like it."

Ouch!
02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Like I said. Standard Fox disclaimers apply.

Del Murder
02-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I've never had interest in the character of Thor, but this movie has Natalie Portman so I will probably watch it.

First Class seems like an interesting story but X3 and Wolverine were such horrible movies that I've given up hope for the X-Men franchise.

I'm looking forward to Captain America, especially since it's his origin story that takes place in the WWII era. I love that era, and the thought of Cap kicking Nazi ass is too good to pass up.

Raistlin
02-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I am excited about Captain America, hesitantly optimistic about Thor, and already facepalming about X-Men, which will very likely be terrible (again).

Dreddz
02-12-2011, 06:36 PM
First Class seems like an interesting story but X3 and Wolverine were such horrible movies that I've given up hope for the X-Men franchise.
Worth noting that First Class is being directed by Matthew Vaughn who recently made Kick Ass. That alone has given me high hopes. I'd like to see the X-Men movies back on form. X2 is up there with Spiderman 2 as my favourite comic book movie.

Ouch!
02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I used to think Spider-Man 2 was a very good comic book movie, but I recently caught it on HBO since they'd been showing all the Spider-Man movies over and over. It was nowhere near as good as I remembered it being.

charliepanayi
02-12-2011, 08:01 PM
OK so what comic book films do people here actually like? Bonus points if they're not directed by Christopher Nolan.

Freya
02-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm actually looking forward to the Capitan America one. I just squeeeeeed when I saw his shield make a cameo in the Iron man 2 movie. I'm not very excited about Thor, just doesn't look that good to me, but I'm excited for what comes after those two, The avengers!

NorthernChaosGod
02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
OK so what comic book films do people here actually like? Bonus points if they're not directed by Christopher Nolan.

Iron Man. :p

Del Murder
02-12-2011, 08:22 PM
X2 and Iron Man are two of the best comic movies ever, and are up there with Nolan's Batman movies. I also liked Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, X-Men, Blade, Batman, Batman Returns, and of course Batman Begins & The Dark Knight. Oh, and Watchmen wasn't bad.

Depression Moon
02-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Kick-Ass, Iron Man, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Batman Returns, Blade, X2, Sin City, The Incredible Hulk (reboot). Only watched Watchmen once and I won't judge until I see it again and I hear the blu ray version has extra footage.

Slothy
02-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I've never had interest in the character of Thor, but this movie has Natalie Portman so I will probably watch it.

Thor is easily the one I'm most excited about. Not only does it look to have the best casting so far of the films in this thread, but Thor has easily been one of the best comics in the Marvel lineup since J. Michael Strazynski took over the book several years ago, and each writer since he left has kept it on top so far. There's a lot of potential in the character and I think it can easily lend itself to a great film translation.

Dreddz
02-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I wonder whether anyone here has watched Howard the Duck. As far as comic book movies go it is by far the strangest.

NorthernChaosGod
02-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I wonder whether anyone here has watched Howard the Duck. As far as comic book movies go it is by far the strangest.

Lea Thompson is so hot in that.

Depression Moon
02-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I watched it online last month. I was just random googling his name and came to find out that he had a movie.

She needs to eat.

charliepanayi
02-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Might be a bit late for that, the film was almost 25 years ago.

NorthernChaosGod
02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
She needs to eat.

You crazy.

Del Murder
02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
That Thor trailer is definitely the best of the three. The movie looks pretty good so far. :o Could be like Iron Man where I expected it to be lame but it ends up being awesome.

Depression Moon
05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
EXCLUSIVE: ‘X-Men: First Class’ Character Trailers - Banshee, Havok, And Beast! (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/05/05/x-men-first-class-trailer-banshee-havok-beast/)

also I think that the search engine has a glitch. I typed in X-men and nothing came up.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
EXCLUSIVE: ‘X-Men: First Class’ Character Trailers - Banshee, Havok, And Beast! (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/05/05/x-men-first-class-trailer-banshee-havok-beast/)

also I think that the search engine has a glitch. I typed in X-men and nothing came up.

You're being too subtle, and the search engine couldn't understand your request. Emphasize the important part by searching for XXX men.

Trust me.

Jessweeee♪
05-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Just caught the X-men trailer on TV. Doesn't look bad as far as comic book movies go. Not excited for Thor though. My boyfriend told me the origin of Thor is pretty much "hey you're a total dick Thor, so we're gonna make you a human and wipe your memories of godhood" but then he gets his powers back with SCIENCE or some other weird thing and kills aliens.

NorthernChaosGod
05-10-2011, 05:21 AM
How dare you mock the thundergod! :nonono:

~*~Celes~*~
05-10-2011, 05:45 AM
I think Thor looks neat, and the concept of X-Men: First Class looks good as well.

Jiro
05-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I fucking love Xmen. Just. Yeah. Awesome :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Their powers are all so badass.