PDA

View Full Version : Immersive Tv shows

Freya
02-12-2011, 05:02 AM
So I don't know what to watch anymore. I need a series that I can just immerse myself in and obsess over. The last one I did that with was Battlestar Galactica. It was long and very good. I could just watch it and go "OMG!" "No way!" "ACK don't die!" things like that.

I need a new series. A long one that will take some time. I've been through buffy and Angel and charmed. While funny sitcomish shows are good too, I'm looking for something to geek out on though. My netflix just suggested Doctor Who. I guess it's the new one? We'll see how that goes.

Any suggestions? They'd be muchly appreciated.

Bunny
02-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Not entirely too sure if you can geek out on them, but the last couple of shows that I got really into were Supernatural, The Wire, Fringe, Breaking Bad, and Lie to Me. Supernatural is the only one that can properly be geeked out on, I think, but the rest of them are pretty solid as well.

Chris
02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
I agree. Supernatural is an exceptionally good show, and it is currently in its sixth season, so there's a lot to dig into.

I was blown away by Jericho. That show is quite possibly one of my all-time favorite shows, and it's worth taking an interest in. I don't remember the last time I was so invovled in a series, and only The X-Files have managed to keep me enthralled like this series have.

If you're interested in Charmed and Angel, The Vampire Diaries is worth a look, as is Miracles.

Madame Adequate
02-12-2011, 04:16 PM
The year... is 2257.

The name of the place show... is Babylon 5.

My favorite show ever. Plot arcs that span five seasons! Genuine and believable character development! Aliens who have alien cultures! Heroes who are sometimes ambiguously good and who don't always win!

Freya
02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
I completely forgot about babylon 5! Oooooooo

McLovin'
02-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Lost and The Wire are great immersive show.

Breaking Bad is a top quality show that just keeps you so interested.

Supernatural has great fun at making fun of itself and that makes the show so cool and fun.

G13
02-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Stargate. I love that series. I'm really into Stargate Universe atm but to understand what's going on you should watch SG-1 and Atlantis first. 17 seasons all put together, and three movies (iirc :erm:).

o_O
02-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Not entirely too sure if you can geek out on them, but the last couple of shows that I got really into were Supernatural, The Wire, Fringe, Breaking Bad, and Lie to Me. Supernatural is the only one that can properly be geeked out on, I think, but the rest of them are pretty solid as well.

I have to second Fringe. I'm on the third season now, and I can't get enough! Also Prison Break is awesome, and Heroes and Dexter if you haven't seen those already.

Jessweeee♪
02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Bones is the only show I watch regularly that isn't purely comedy.

cloud_doll
02-15-2011, 12:50 AM
I really like Dexter. It's very mainstream, but it's still a good show. At least the first season is! It's on netflix, too.

My friend actually has the same taste in shows as you. She really enjoys Heroes, Breaking Bad, How I Met Your Mother, Nip Tuck, and True Blood.

Miriel
02-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Stargate SG-1 is a great show to just blow through, episode after episode. But it's not really one of those, OMG I CANT BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED! kinds of shows.

Vampire Diaries is ridiculously good in getting you freaked out, crying, gasping, etc. It's a rollercoaster of a show. One of my favorites right now.

The first 2 seasons of Alias are my favorite of any show, ever. Lots of OH MY GOOOOD moments, and also the romance between Syd/Vaughn had me dying. Talk about will they/won't they. It started going downhill after season 3, but that's pretty standard for J.J. Abrams. And of course, there's Lost. But that show tries your patience.

The West Wing has like 8 seasons, so it should keep you occupied for awhile. It also happens to be one of the best acted, best written shows in the last decade or so. It's not cyborgs or vampies, but there are still lots of seriously kickass episodes.

Grey's Anatomy also has it's share of OMFG WHAT?! moments, and if you can turn a blind eye to the character assassinations and bizarre romantic pairings, even in the bad seasons the show is consistently able to produce episodes that will make you laugh and cry. What can I say. I am a sucker for those impassioned speeches they're always making on the show. I'd say about 7 out of 10 times, this show will make me cry. And I love that.

For sitcoms, I plowed my way through How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory pretty quickly. Entourage is also good for a laugh, even though it's kinda douchey. Ari Gold is possibly one of the best characters to have ever existed on TV. And the Entourage episode with Matt Damon is just about the funniest thing ever.

If you REALLY want an immersive show, go for a Korean drama. It's no lie when people compare Kdramas to cocaine. You get addicted to that :bou::bou::bou::bou:. My recommendations: My Lovely Sam Soon (or My Name is Kim Sam Soon), Coffee Prince, and Boys Before Flowers. That should keep you occupied for a loong time.

cloud_doll
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
If you REALLY want an immersive show, go for a Korean drama. It's no lie when people compare Kdramas to cocaine. You get addicted to that :bou::bou::bou::bou:. My recommendations: My Lovely Sam Soon (or My Name is Kim Sam Soon), Coffee Prince, and Boys Before Flowers. That should keep you occupied for a loong time.
OMG yes. I have Coffee Prince and Boys Before Flowers on DVD =P They are soo addictive and very long. Full House is also good, but somewhat annoying.

Jessweeee♪
02-15-2011, 02:12 AM

I've only seen Loveholic. My friend kept trying to get me to watch it, but I wasn't really interested, and then one day I got really really bored and gave it a try and oh god I watched the whole thing in two days. I will never watch another Korean soap again because if I do I'm scared I'll get so addicted I'll forget to eat.

Freya
02-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Wait korean dramas? I have not heard of this addicting phenomenon.

NorthernChaosGod
02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Um, House?

Loony BoB
02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
The shows I like in that regard are Doctor Who and Stargate Universe. At the moment, anyway. I've watched the odd episode of other things but nothing really, really stood out.

If you're up for a giggle, watch the full series of The Inbetweeners. That covers about 18 episodes total, but for me it's a great laugh and Danielle and I quote it all the time.

cloud_doll
02-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Look Here! (http://www.mysoju.com/browse/)

Asian dramas are very addictive.

kotora
02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Japanese drama shows can be pretty fun, but I wouldn't call them immersive because the acting is usually completely ridiculous and would make zero sense in real life.

Most HBO shows are pretty immersive for me, even though they're short. Rome and Generation Kill are among my favourites. I really felt like immersed while watching those.

Crop
02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Well I've been watching the Stargate: SG-1 reruns on Sky 2 from the beginning and I have to say it's an absolute treat, it's been so long since I saw the early ones and I was last subjected to the tripe that was the last couple of seasons. It was easy to forget how good the early ones were.

The last show I really got into was probably 24. Although I have been watching Boardwalk Empire, which is turning out to be a pretty damn good show. It's just started so it's worth taking a look.

Jessweeee♪
02-16-2011, 03:56 AM

They have all of the drama of American soaps but with closure because they don't run for decades and decades and decades! If the only one I watched is of any indication anyway.

Miriel
02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah, the great thing about Korean dramas is that they all wrap up within 20 episodes or so. It's REALLY rare for a Korean drama to have a 2nd season. They're more like miniseries. And it's great because you get all that crazy angst and OMFG but at the end, you usually get a YAAAAAY! Instead of like American soaps which go on forever until you give up watching.

Hulu has a Korean drama section.