PDA

View Full Version : Laguna & Co.

Jiro
02-13-2011, 06:00 AM
So I finally put the last bullet into Ultimecia and finished the game. The one thing I've really taken from the experience is that Laguna's story would have been far more interesting to follow. His life as a soldier, then as a journalist. All of the misadventures he got into with Kiros and Ward, and then his torn love between Julia and Raine. And then his chase for Ellone and etc etc you guys know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone else agree that Laguna's story would have been a superior one to play?

kotora
02-13-2011, 10:25 AM
yeah he was a more interesting character than his stupid son

Rantz
02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Pfft, everyone knows you can't have a main character over 19 years old.

Jiro
02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Cloud was 21, but everyone hated him too. :p

I just think the complexities of Laguna's life and the choices he made (especially in relation to his love life) far exceed the crap that Squall tried to pull. Hell even Seifer is a more interesting character than Squall.

Yar
02-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Are you asking for an VIII-2 Dak?

I think it would have been harder to tell Laguna's story if he were the main character. You get to see a large portion of his life through out the game. Also, I don't know how you can make the parts after he quits the army to be all actiony and shiz. Ooh you're writing a newpaper column. How exciting!<3

His story is intriguing. And basically everyone in that game is more interesting that Squall. I just don't know that his story would make a better game. It would probably climax at the exile of Adel and him becoming president of Esthar.

Depression Moon
02-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Cloud was 21, but everyone hated him too. :p

Which sounds funny to me because almost every site outside of this one praises Cloud.

On topic, Gameplay wise I feel it wouldn't have been as good.

drotato
02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, possibly.
But the way I see it, I think because Laguna was such an interesting character, that's why they couldn't have made him the main character. Because everytime it goes to him in the game, you get all excited and giddy (well at least I do) and it's because they don't show you so much of him that you get sick of him... Like Squall. xD
I honestly think the way it is now is more worth playing the game for. Because I'm secretly in love with Laguna, and will play the game just to get to his parts. (8

Jessweeee♪
02-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I don't know if I'd have liked it better, but it would be really fun to play.

Hollycat
02-14-2011, 03:25 AM
we need a laguna smiley with him and his machine gun, or maybe him with cramps

Remon
02-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Due to the battle theme used, I say it should have focused more on Laguna :p

Hollycat
02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
seriously, who knows how to make moving smileys, we really need one of Laguna running, and one of Laguna with the cramps

Marshall Banana
02-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Well...I wish I could explore the map with Laguna and his pals -- twenty years or whenever in the past -- just as thoroughly as I can explore with Squall and friends. That would be neat.

Hollycat
02-14-2011, 07:17 PM
omigod, it would be the crisis core of ff8

Roogle
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Laguna seemed to live a more idyllic life than Squall and the other characters. I think that the problem is that Laguna was a low-ranking soldier and was likely only performing routine patrols and things like that.

The player experiences most of the exciting moments in Laguna's life aside from his political rise to power in Esthar.

Jessweeee♪
02-15-2011, 02:16 AM
omigod, it would be the crisis core of ff8

I...I didn't think about that. Just oh god don't pull a Genesis if it ever happens. Crisis Core was supposed to be cool :(

Hollycat
02-15-2011, 02:57 AM
crisis core was good, until you find out genesis is really a good guy, and the only bad guy died a chapter earlier.

I t would have been beast if Minerva had been the final boss.

Jiro
02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
I do agree that a lot of the interesting parts of Laguna's life from a gameplay perspective were already seen in-game. Maybe I'm - oh god - asking for a movie about him. I'm not sure, but as it stands I'd prefer S-E don't trash anything. VIII has enough haters already :p

drotato
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Omg... HC: YES LAGUNA WITH CRAMPS. Yes please. (:

Hollycat
02-15-2011, 11:55 PM

I can see him dragging one foot and holding his gut!
ADMINS
MODERATORS
CID
SOMEONE MAKE IT PLEASE

drotato
02-16-2011, 11:23 PM

I can see him dragging one foot and holding his gut!
ADMINS
MODERATORS
CID
SOMEONE MAKE IT PLEASE
YES PLEEEEEAAASE. WHERE IS DEL MURDER!? HE WILL HELP US.

Hollycat
02-16-2011, 11:45 PM
SUMMONING DEL, PLEASE HALP US!

Wolf Kanno
02-19-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm in the minority here, in the fact I actually like Squall and consider him one of the best characters in the game, even if he is a bit of a spaz when he's fawning over Rinoa.

I love Laguna and he unquestionably has the superior combat theme, but as some have pointed out, we got to see the high points in his life. He doesn't strike me as the type who has wacky adventures all the time and the first Winhill flashback kind of supports this. His military days would have been interesting as well as him becoming president of Esthar, but I hardly feel VIII needs a prequel.

I just wish there were more interactions between Laguna and Squall, cause I feel the two would have awesome chemistry in an "Odd Couple" sort of way. It's the reason I'm excited he was announced for Dissidia.

Del Murder
02-20-2011, 01:16 AM
SUMMONING DEL, PLEASE HALP US!
--not enough MP--

Hollycat
02-20-2011, 01:17 AM
uses elixer

Roogle
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
I just wish there were more interactions between Laguna and Squall, cause I feel the two would have awesome chemistry in an "Odd Couple" sort of way. It's the reason I'm excited he was announced for Dissidia.

I thought it was very weird that they never explicitly stated that Laguna was the father of Squall. They hint at it pretty openly without any sort of reaction from Squall. I thought that the whole Laguna, Ellone, and Squall dynamic should have been more openly played with as they are all surviving family members in a sort of way and that is something that is fairly rare in video games.

Carl the Llama
03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
I must be really out of the loop here... I hate the Laguna sidestory... infact I perpously learned Enc-None just so I could run through his scenario's all the more quicker, was the only time I used the Enc-None ability.

Also I didn't think either battle music was up to much.

Haha_YouAint
06-03-2011, 05:42 AM

I thought it was very weird that they never explicitly stated that Laguna was the father of Squall. They hint at it pretty openly without any sort of reaction from Squall. I thought that the whole Laguna, Ellone, and Squall dynamic should have been more openly played with as they are all surviving family members in a sort of way and that is something that is fairly rare in video games.

Laguna and Squall interaction would have made the whole game more interesting. When I found out he was Squall's father I was like "Oh shyt, finally gettin' to the good part. Family drama blah blah blah." and then when I didn't see any familiy drama, it let me down.

champagne supernova
06-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Laguna and Squall interaction would have made the whole game more interesting. When I found out he was Squall's father I was like "Oh shyt, finally gettin' to the good part. Family drama blah blah blah." and then when I didn't see any familiy drama, it let me down.

I suppose from a storyline point of view, you could argue that Laguna was keeping quiet so Squall & Co would focus on their goal. I think it's a lame argument because they could choose whenever they went to battle Ultimecia and if your son might die, surely you'd say something more than: after you get back, we'll talk. So I'm going for Square cop-out.

But seriously, most games of the time tended to have these massive stories that weren't particularly tight and had several moments of plot wobbles, so I'll let them have it.

Roogle
06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I would have at least expected it to be addressed in the ending. I am sure that if the developers revisit this game in the form of a port or a remake that they will more openly acknowledge this storyline point.