PDA

View Full Version : Program is still there somewhere!???

Christmas
02-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Hi

So I deleted this program manually by selecting the folder and deleting it. After that I tried to reinstall it from a disc but the installation setup appeared with these three options:

Modify
Repair
Delete

It will appear that it seems that the setup thinks the program exists in my computer. When I tried to select any of these options, it gives me the error:

"Error 1605 - this action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

I tried to go to "Add/Remove" programs to look for the program but it is not there. I tried searching for it and still no result. So if it is deleted, why can't I reinstall it through the disc that I once used to install it in the first place! :(

Please help! :(

Rantz
02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
The problem is when you install a program it installs more than the files - most importantly it makes changes to what's called the Registry. If the program is deleted manually the changes in the registry will still be there which might lead the installation program to not know what to do with itself since the Registry says it's installed but the files aren't there.

If the files are in your recycle bin, you can try to find them all in there and restore them (select files, right click, restore), and then try to uninstall it properly before reinstalling it.

If not, it might help to run a Registry cleaner such as the one in CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner). That program can be good to run regardless, so you might want to give it a try.

Christmas
02-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks! Now I can play my favourite game again! :bigsmile:

Ya the best! :kaoclove: