PDA

View Full Version : Do you know of any good foods that you can easily bring with you?

*Laurelindo*
02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I tend to be on the run rather often, and this sometimes makes eating a bit of an inconvenience.
I was wondering if you know of any good, nutricious foods that you can actually bring with you in your pocket, and that will last for a reasonably long time?
I usually have a bunch of meatballs in a small plastic bag in my jacket pocket, and sometimes nuts and almonds.
I would like some variety though, so do you know of anything else?
It doesn't necessarily have to be a full meal, just something that you can eat "on the go" to satisfy your hunger for a few hours in a healthy way.

Rantz
02-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Carrots tend to be pretty good at giving your stomach something to work with! And knäckebröd, but that might be harder to bring along ;)

Iceglow
02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Well for a start you could bake your own traybake bars simply prepare a tray bake of whatever takes your fancy (fruits, nuts, oatmeal anything what can be traybaked) then when cooked you cut it in to bars and leave to cool, these will keep for a long time depending on how they were prepared then when you want to take them with you simply wrap in clingfilm to preserve their barlike shape.

Also you can easily if you carry a small satchel bag or rucksack carry sandwiches or salads prepared in a small pot just remember to carry a fork and some kitchen towel (pro tip, wrap the said fork in the kitchen towel to keep it clean in your bag and put enough towel in there to re-wrap the fork after eating so that your bag stays clean) You can also use this to carry foods such as pasta bakes, rice dishes (note, pasta bake when cold is delicious, some rice dishes are too but be careful some will be horrible and so you'll either need to think of access to a microwave or what works) ect.

Also learn to prepare haso-maki suishi rolls these can easily be put in a small sandwich bag or pot and carried around too providing you with an excellent source of food on the go. Alternatively learn to make things like pastry goods such as sausage rolls, pasties and pies alongside savoury goods such as scotch eggs these can easily be carried and eaten and depending on your ingredients list they'll be very healthy and nutritious.

Peegee
02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
well you bring meatballs, so there's hope after all (there's nothing healthy you can bring on the go that you can buy in a store in a box)

If you can bring a package of oatmeal and a small container for liquids you can have oatmeal. I bring eggs to work - try that. Also as others have mentioned, bring veggies.

Steve's rambling basically sums up to 'learn to cook and bring leftovers'

NorthernChaosGod
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
You could always just carry a protein bar around. I can't really think of anything besides what's already been suggested. :\

Iceglow
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Except I actually prepare foods purely for taking to work so it's not leftovers lol but yes. Learn to cook and then either prepare foods to take or take the left overs from preparing your meals. It is a hell of a lot better than buying crap out.

Old Manus
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't help fugitives

Peegee
02-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Except I actually prepare foods purely for taking to work so it's not leftovers lol but yes. Learn to cook and then either prepare foods to take or take the left overs from preparing your meals. It is a hell of a lot better than buying crap out.

I cooked rice last night and left the unagi to thaw. Is that leftover or not?

Mirage
02-14-2011, 11:05 PM
A bag of nuts and dried fruits.

escobert
02-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Fruit Rollups! :bigsmile:

Shlup
02-14-2011, 11:27 PM
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Staples/s0336051_sc7?$sku$

escobert
02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
http://www.tomheroes.com/images4/COMICAD_spiderrman_rollup.jpg
The superior meal on the go!

Iceglow
02-14-2011, 11:31 PM

I cooked rice last night and left the unagi to thaw. Is that leftover or not?

Hmm partly. I mean I will cook a meal such as for example a pasta bake, leave it to cool and then divide it in to portions I can take in to work for lunch over the next couple of days or eat over a couple of days and refrigerate them. If the rice was cooked with the intention of eating it there and then, then technically anything left over you use the next day is a left over. However the Unagi was prepared specifically for the meal the next day so no.....you're just being damn paradoxical. Enough said; learn to fucking cook and cook good healthy :bou::bou::bou::bou: for your lunches, grill some chicken or bake some fish and do a fucking fish/chicken salad.

Jessweeee♪
02-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Make chicken salad! Or egg salad! Or tuna salad! They make for wonderful sandwiches.

fire_of_avalon
02-15-2011, 02:05 AM
Best thing are stick foods. Like squirrel on a stick or iguana on a stick.

Bunny
02-15-2011, 04:20 AM
or something a normal person would eat

Shiny
02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Wait hold on, hold on, hold on. Did you just say you keep meatballs IN YOUR POCKET?! That's crazy.

Gogurt or yogurt. Something that would keep you full is bread. Wheat bread is the healthiest.

Iceglow
02-15-2011, 04:51 AM

But I want some Cram and some Dandy Boy Apples!

kotora
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM
a bag of peanuts

*Laurelindo*
02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Wait hold on, hold on, hold on. Did you just say you keep meatballs IN YOUR POCKET?! That's crazy.

Gogurt or yogurt. Something that would keep you full is bread. Wheat bread is the healthiest.Yeah, in a plastic bag, mind you. :p

Peegee
02-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Gogurt or yogurt. Something that would keep you full is bread. Wheat bread is the healthiest.Yeah, in a plastic bag, mind you. :p

nom nom nom ^____________^

Crop
02-15-2011, 10:54 PM

But I want some Cram and some Dandy Boy Apples!

I'll give you 15 caps for every box of Sugar Bombs you give me.
[Speech 100% - "Try 1000 caps and we have a deal"]