PDA

View Full Version : Bad games that you love.

Jessweeee♪
02-16-2011, 03:48 AM
I don't mean poorly-received games that you think are good, I mean games that you personally think are bad but for some reason you just love playing them!

As for me, I'd have to say the Phantasy Star Universe series. There are so many things about it I don't like, but I have so much fun. It doesn't make sense to me!

NorthernChaosGod
02-16-2011, 04:03 AM
I have never enjoyed a game I thought was bad. :|

Jessweeee♪
02-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Yeah I think there might be something wrong with me. But oh well. I have PSU!

The best thing about this series is the music.

Wolf Kanno
02-16-2011, 04:26 AM
Gungrave and Evil Zone come to mind.

Gungrave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qydv99gXums)is kind of a poor attempt at making a 3D brawler with guns and its basically just you gunning down palette swaps of the same types of enemies over and over. The boss fights often range on ridiculously hard and its plot is pretty minimal (the anime is awesome though, especially if you like Mafia type stories). Still it had some clever things in and I just can't bring myself to actually hate it. Its just a fun "turn your brain off" game. It also used the whole "make the player kill the final boss in an emotionally charged cutscene" long before MGS3: Snake Eater was around.

Evil Zone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznxJVvMo_k)... is a "fighting game" that basically pits together every single anime cliche and stereotype you can think of with the exception of a magical princess sailor girl. I don't really know if that was the designer's intentions either, I feel with the amount of details listed in the game they were actually trying to make something legitimate, which makes it even more funny. Combat is odd cause its based on projectiles and using psychic powers to trap people as the throws and well... it s really hard to explain this game. Its funny as hell, even if the dub is awful, and beating the game with characters unlocks massive amounts of background story and plot elements you didn't think this game needed. It' a pretty simple fighting game and most of the cast plays the same so it mostly comes down to who you like most.

nirojan
02-16-2011, 06:02 AM
White Knight Chronicles! OMG the most cliched over used story EVAR! It's one of those games that when you play 5 minutes of it, you can guess the next 30 minutes of the story. The combat was slow and extremely unpolished imo. But for some odd reason I couldn't put it down. We seemed to have a JRPG drought that time and it was fixing that itch i had! FFXIII and GOW3 quickly replaced it though after they released.

Wierd seeing a Level-5 game I didn't like. Even now im curious as to WKC2, even though I can probably guess the story!

VeloZer0
02-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Jaws: Unleshed. It is an open sandbox game where you swim around as Jaws and eat swimmers, sink boats and destroy waterfront property.

Sadly they obviously didn't have enough money to develop good controls for it, but the concept is just so fantastic.

Loony BoB
02-19-2011, 09:35 AM
For me, if a game is enjoyable, it can't be bad, because a game sets itself out to be enjoyable. I suppose if it was really glitchy but still enjoyable then it could make sense. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, though... I enjoy a lot of games, mind you. xD I'm rather easily pleased. I'm so glad for that, too, or else I'd be constantly disappointed.

Yeargdribble
02-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I'll second White Knight Chronicles which is a laughable caricature of a JRPG with a lot of painful sections to play with overly slow battle, but it's charming as hell for some reason.

Also, FFXI. After an initial 3 year addiction, 2 years off and a 1 year follow up I know the game is ultimately terrible in so many ways, but it's so awesome in so many other ways. I love the flavor of it more than any other MMO I've played.

Psychotic
02-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I enjoyed XII and XIII while I was actually playing them, but looking back on them I don't entirely know why.

Also, Halo. It's a fucking terrible game. Why can't I stop playing it?

G13
02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Combat Evolved is great. The others I could live without. And I really enjoyed XIII, but I absolutely hate XII and yet I still play it.

Alundra 2 was another one I hated but couldn't put down.

Vyk
02-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Its kind of relieving to see someone say that lol

My tastes are so off kilter from the norm, I think it'd be easier for me to list what games that are good that I don't like, than list games that I consider bad that I do like. I can't imagine playing through a game I think is bad. Its hard enough for a good game to keep my interest. Like I can not stand Grand Theft Auto IV, even though it was heralded as a pinnacle of gaming in its time. And I've tried like three times to play it. And the only thing I can say is the graphics and voice acting are okay. But the controls/gameplay mechanics and story and characters themselves just totally turn me off. And nothing is more horrendous than its driving mechanics. Like driving in the snow with a rear wheel drive car, ALL THE TIME. If you ever get up to full speed, it takes you three blocks to skid to a stop and you probably end up taking out two other cars and a telephone pole in the process

I guess I could list some of my early childhood games since I had no standards back then. Not like when you bought a game, you had a lot of choice afterwards. You either play it or remain bored. And I had some atrocious winners on the Genesis and NES. But I'm not sure anyone would know them. Devilish, Storm Lord, and Abbadox come to mind..

Chris
02-19-2011, 07:11 PM
"Zapper" is so bright and colorful, but otherwise horrible. But I just can't help but having so much fun playing it!

http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/68hr2p.jpg

jdj5585
02-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Final Fantasy X-2 comes to mind...haha

Dreddz
02-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Shenmue comes to mind. One of my favourite games but if you break it down its quite terrible actually.

Unbreakable Will
02-20-2011, 05:45 AM
The recent Medal of Honor game, I absolutely hated the storyline but had so much fun sniping that I keep playing it.

Jiro
02-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Shenmue comes to mind. One of my favourite games but if you break it down its quite terrible actually.

Oh god the controls. Makes me weep.

Fynn
02-20-2011, 10:44 AM
The previously mentioned FFX-2. Oh God, that game was so terrible it should never have seen the light of day. And yet I love it! It is just so much fun and I don't even know why. Also, there was this Dragonball Z RPG for the GBA I can't remember the name of. It was horrible and made me want to pull all my hair out. But I still played it. It was fun. It didn't make any more sense then than it makes now.

Dreddz
02-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Oh god the controls. Makes me weep.

The forklift racing would have to be the games lowest point.

Slothy
02-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Mission Impossible. Those that have played it probably know what I mean one way or the other.

Levian
02-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Addams Family is a horrible and unfair game. I like it regardless, but that has a lot to do with nostalgia.

I'm also oddly fascinated with Clock Tower 2 which is a near unplayable game, for many reasons. I only reached Act 2, but it's definitely a game I'm still drawn towards.

DMKA
02-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Fighter Maker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1f6LC2f3yE)

jdj5585
02-20-2011, 11:12 PM
This is perhaps odd...but that "Shake it Aeris!" thing just seems oddly sexual to me. Haha

escobert
02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Saga Frontier 2

The jumping around fo the storyline was so horrible but, I love the graphics and characters.

DMKA
02-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Saga Frontier 2

The jumping around fo the storyline was so horrible but, I love the graphics and characters.

To this day I've never gotten the chance to play it. I owned the original Saga Frontier at one point and remember it being the hardest turn-based jrpg I've ever played and not understanding the story at all.

I also remember being wowed by the fact that your party could be so big in battles and that you could save anywhere.

kotora
02-21-2011, 12:25 AM
Yakuza 3

the gameplay sucks monkeyballs (I mean srsly what were they thinking), but the storyline is intriguing enough for me to keep playing.

jdj5585
02-21-2011, 12:30 AM
I remember just hating the original Saga Frontier in general. I beat it once with the robot, but...ugh.

escobert
02-21-2011, 12:36 AM
I love the first one too but yeah, it was pretty hard and also hard to follow.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Red Ninja: End of Honor. I love the tenchu series, and this was close enough, and different enough to be fresh. The controls, graphics, and story were all pretty piss poor.

Way of the Samurai. It's just shouldn't be as enjoyable as it was. I even played the little fighting mini game with m friends.

Iceglow
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM

You keep playing it because although you hate the story you love the fun. It is fun in a lot of ways. Personally I never minded the story on the Halo series, it has a better story by far than any of the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor series games. Frankly, Medal of Honor and Call of Duty suffer from one insufferable flaw: Early Medal of Honor games cast you as Jimmy Patterson a normal US soldier and yet most of the time he was a one man frigging army! When they eventually decided to give you a support squad in missions in Medal of Honor: Airborne the support squad died so easily you still felt very overpowered, not to mention they never seemed to actually kill anything so it was more hindrance than help since they'd hog the decent cover leaving you exposed to the elements. Call of Duty does the supporting squad better than Medal of Honor but frankly the story involved is often the weak point. The first few games where it was WW1 and 2 were believable yes because they were often based around historical units. The newer ones, Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops have such unbelievable characters and stories it's only just about playable for the game mechanics itself and even those don't feel as smooth or polished in my opinion as the ones in Halo, especially Halo Reach.

Alundra 2 was another one I hated but couldn't put down.

Oh God Alundra 2! Alundra 1 was insanely difficult, Alundra 2 was just horrible in oh so many ways but you try to complete it for some God forsaken reason! I've no idea why I stuck it out it was almost as bad as sticking Grandia 2 and Jade Cocoon 2 out to the end.

Which yeah brings me to my games I think are pretty crap but couldn't help playing and enjoying:

Jade Cocoon 2 - the first game was awesome, the second game ditched the "realistic" graphics and went for a kind of 3D cell shading approach which was fine, the tiny fairy what followed you around and told the story in animated cut scenes was irritating but survivable if only because she was scripted with some attitude and her voice was possibly the least annoying voice in the entire game cast. The monster combining got nerfed completely but left just enough evolution options that you'd keep going trying to make something good and the voice acting and music throughout the game was so awful I tended to mute my TV whenever I was playing the game and listen to my own music, only turning the volume up so I could watch the cut scenes to know what was actually going on in the story.

Grandia 2 - Jeez this game was terrible I think I actually completed it more because it was Grandia 2 than anything else and I liked the original Grandia. Never picked it up again after that one completion.

Too Human - Lets face it, the game was received terribly, I think it's pretty bad, the idea behind it technologically advanced telling of the myths of Ragnorak and the Aesir (Asgard is another name for them, the viking gods) yes please! Controls wise? Yeah never experiment with your melee controls and camera controls being on the same damn thing it just gets irritating. The story was what I expected it to be, Viking myths do make great stories. However the game was let down by just about everything else including it's death animation sequence. Because enemies level with you and can number in the hundreds in an area before one will drop health on higher levels you will die a crap ton. Whenever you die you get treated to the same 30 second no skipping animation. The animation of the Valkyrie coming to pick your dead body up causing knock back damage to enemy units (about the only benefit of this) and then to re-spawn 200 yards up pathway back the way you came with the same enemies attacking you is annoying as hell. Just let me skip it! I'm likely to bloody die again in 20 seconds! Seriously, you could die that often depending on what character class you were.

Dwarf Fortress - Face it, Toady is no coder he's a mathematician and therefore the code behind DF sucks. The interface would be much nicer if it had some graphics to it rather than pure ASCII but since you can download a tileset to overlay it's not such a big deal. I know Toady considers it to be his baby and all but if he just let a couple of coders work on the game code so that the game utilizes multiple core processors correctly, some of the many bugs don't take ages to fix up and maybe a graphical artist to actually design it's own graphics set to overlay rather than a tileset which will undoubtedly interfere with the text in the game unless you change the .ini files so it never uses special characters in names. The the game would be vastly improved. DF2010 is a major improvement over old DF but still, I think it's a terrible game but playing it is so much damn fun it's surreal.

JKTrix
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
For me, the overall feel of the game does a lot for how fondly I feel about it even when there are technical things lacking about it. The charm, the personality, the ambition, the quirk. I'd never hold up Yakuza's combat to something like Bayonetta, but it's all the other things about that game and its world that win me over. Similar story with Shenmue. I'll still be buying Yakuza 4 when it comes out, even though I have no intention of getting my PS3 fixed anytime soon.

Earth Defense Force 2017 and Robot Alchemic Drive are two other games (made by the same company) that fit a different category. They are technically sloppy--EDF is a worse-than-average 3rd person shooter, R.A.D. has an incredibly cryptic control scheme--but both of them have so much personality to them that it's hard for me not to love them. EDF has you fighting giant bugs with weapons of mass destruction, and eventually giant armoured alien dinosaurs in completely destructable environments. R.A.D., as a giant robot fighting game, has you fighting other giant creatures in completely destructible environments, though in R.A.D. you actually get penalized for breaking stuff. Both of them have voice acting so bad that it just has to be intentional. Love both of 'em though and can't wait for the new EDF.

Deadly Premonition is a game that did tip against my favour, but I do have fond feelings for the game. I generally do not like 'horror' games, and Deadly Premonition really does control horrifically, but there is so much charm in it. I was luckily able to watch most of the game get played by other people, so I'm not too worried about the $20 it cost me to get it.

I'm glad someone mentioned Way of the Samurai, as I almost forgot it. #3 is one that I go back to regularly just to mess around in. Definitely more fun than it deserves to be.

Yeargdribble
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
I thought of another....

Just Cause 2 - The plot is abysmal and the dialogue is laughable, but damn is it ever fun to just mess around in that world. It's also a great collection fest. This combination makes it just fun to play.

Roogle
02-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Saga Frontier 2

I love SaGa Frontier 2. I would hardly call it a bad game or worth mentioning in this topic. I thought its story over generations was particularly well done.

To this day I've never gotten the chance to play it. I owned the original Saga Frontier at one point and remember it being the hardest turn-based jrpg I've ever played and not understanding the story at all.

SaGa Frontier has a maximum of five characters used during battle. Final Fantasy IV has a maxmimum of five characters used during battle, too. Are you thinking of another game, maybe? SaGa Frontier was notable in the fact that you could have up to fifteen characters recruited in a scenario, but only five characters could be used at a time in battle.

edczxcvbnm
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
I am the only person on earth who like playing State of Emergency. What a terrible terrible game.

ShunNakamura
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Evil Zone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznxJVvMo_k)... is a "fighting game" that basically pits together every single anime cliche and stereotype you can think of with the exception of a magical princess sailor girl. I don't really know if that was the designer's intentions either, I feel with the amount of details listed in the game they were actually trying to make something legitimate, which makes it even more funny. Combat is odd cause its based on projectiles and using psychic powers to trap people as the throws and well... it s really hard to explain this game. Its funny as hell, even if the dub is awful, and beating the game with characters unlocks massive amounts of background story and plot elements you didn't think this game needed. It' a pretty simple fighting game and most of the cast plays the same so it mostly comes down to who you like most.

My brother and I so loved this game. Generally we weren't into fighting games at all, but this one got our attention(as did the original Bushido Blade). We liked Evil Zone so much that even though it wasn't buyable in our area at all, we rented it, repeatedly from the renting shop(which was the only place within driving distance that seemed to have it in stock). However, we never did get around to buying it. By the time the PS1 was losing steam enough that they were selling their PS1 games we didn't have funds to put into gaming :/.

Hmm... as a contribution. I am not sure what everyone else thinks of this one, but Theme Hospital is a relatively fun game that has a whole friggin list of things I would 'fix' with it. But like Evil Zone I would more likely call it Average than I would Bad.

AstonMartin
02-27-2011, 04:16 AM
those gba pokemon games. and mabey the newer ones for the ds too. i mean the game is horrible yet addicting

Flying Arrow
03-03-2011, 02:11 AM
I thought of another....

Just Cause 2 - The plot is abysmal and the dialogue is laughable, but damn is it ever fun to just mess around in that world. It's also a great collection fest. This combination makes it just fun to play.

I don't think it's a bad game - it's just... a silly game. Easily one of the guiltiest pleasures I've ever had the, er, pleasure of playing. It's an absolute ton of fun and a devourer of free time.

As for outright bad games, there probably aren't a lot that I like.

Although the first not-very-good games that I still enjoy that came to my mind was Final Fantasy VIII. A nightmare of balance and of just about everything, but fuck if I don't still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have no idea why.

Laddy
03-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Some of Nippon Ichi's and Atlus's less esteemed franchises have been known to entertain me.

Skyblade
03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Wasn't really sure which of the two threads to put this in, since it could fit in either, but I'll stick it here.

FFXII: Radiant Wings

Now, I don't love this game. But I do like a lot about it. The characters are interesting (since they actually, y'know, wrote Vaan into the story, even he is good) and the world is fun and engaging. I liked rebuilding my airship, I liked exploring the relationships with all the various characters you meet, and I liked that characters themselves.

There is, however, one problem. One huge, overarching problem. The game itself sucks. RTS games on a console have never been a good idea, and on a handheld they are even worse. Micro is impossible, even quick groupings cripple playability and tactics. Most battles consist of simple massed firepower from your forces. Until the end of the game where that strategy fails due to bosses having the ability to insta kill every one of your minions within a hundred yards, which leaves you with precious few alternatives. The gameplay is absolutely horrendous.

Had Square stuck with an RPG format, or even turn-based strategy, I would have liked this game. As it is... I just can't play it anymore. Which makes me sad, because it had a lot of character and story potential.

Vyk
03-23-2011, 03:03 AM
I keep forgetting to come back to this thread and point out that Clive Barker's Jericho is an awesome game despite how horrible it is by FPS standards. It got generally poor reviews, but I love it. Granted, there's not a lot of enemies, so it can get a little repetitive, but I love the atmosphere the characters and characterization, the grotesque level design, and to an extent, I really like the story, even if it is a little contrived. It seems very comicbook-like, and very 80s demonic horror movie'ish. Only met a few other people who enjoyed it, but most of the internet and FPS community hate it ^_^

LunarWeaver
03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
I couldn't look a person in the face and tell them The Force Unleashed was anything more than mediocre at best, but my nerdy boner for the Star Wars universe makes me overlook all flaws it has an action title.

Mercen-X
03-26-2011, 09:09 PM
There were a lot of games in the Sega Genesis Collection that I owned for a couple of months. Some of the games I was familiar with, others I never thought I play or even look at twice. But I played all of them. Phantasy Star, Ristar, Alex Kidd, Altered Beast... I thought they were bad games, but I continued playing them nonetheless. I had to sell the collection before I finished Phantasy Star and Ristar. Another game, Sword of Vermillion, I felt the boss battles were broken, but I liked the game anyway.

Ephemeral Fantasia, Eternal Ring, EverGrace, Falling Stars... Okay, I actually hate Falling Stars, I only played it through 'cause I paid for it and wanted to see what would be unlocked. It really does just suck though.

Heath
03-27-2011, 11:21 AM

I like Shenmue a lot and although it's been years since I played it, I thought it was pretty excellent on the whole.

I can't really think of anything exceptionally bad that I've liked. My friends, however, really enjoyed Earth Defence Force and I'll never for the life of me fathom why.

Mo-Nercy
03-28-2011, 07:22 AM
I loved this game so much. <3

Also. All the games in the Dynasty Warriors series.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Legend of Dragoon. Even thinking about that broken game makes me cringe and smile at the same time. You think you've heard bad voice acting? if you haven't played LoD you have not. One playthrough, and you will weep with joy for Tidus' whiny emo voice in FFX. And the totally useless (yet somehow badass still) dragoon transformation gimmick. wow. terrible.

Oh, and i cannot forget True Crime: Streets of LA. Hate me all you want, for some sick reason i enjoyed this game. I equate it with people enjoying Meth, or hookers. It's shameful and wrong, but you can't deny what you enjoy. Horrible, Horrible game though.

Hollycat
04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Jersey Devil
Tiny Tank
Rayman

black orb
05-07-2011, 02:16 AM
>>> Super Ninja Boy (Snes), Rolan`s Curse (Gameboy). I love them..:luca:

Shattered Dreamer
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
True Crimes: New York City

In hindsight an abysmal game but I've played through it 5 or 6 times.

Def Jam ICON

One of your typical throw away console launch titles but just something about it was fun to play. Alas no where near as good as Def Jam Fight For NYC.

Army Of Two

Bad but super fun to play especially multiplayer.

State Of Emergency

Nuff said

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Grandia 2 - Jeez this game was terrible I think I actually completed it more because it was Grandia 2 than anything else and I liked the original Grandia. Never picked it up again after that one completion.

I loved this game....I only have a few complaints. I don't like the way your characters seem to walk in slow motion, and the way the environment would sometimes look like it was "blinking", like the ps2 just couldn't handle the awesome. What didn't you like about it?

Legend of Dragoon. Even thinking about that broken game makes me cringe and smile at the same time. You think you've heard bad voice acting? if you haven't played LoD you have not. One playthrough, and you will weep with joy for Tidus' whiny emo voice in FFX. And the totally useless (yet somehow badass still) dragoon transformation gimmick. wow. terrible.

The voice acting for the "additions" were half good, half bad. Other than that, there was only voice acting in the occasional cutscene....but those were pretty terrible, the only exceptions being the acting in the opening FMV, and the great Tony Todd, who did an excellent job as Narrator. Anyone who really enjoys this game remembers the epic "As if they were gods, Winglies ruled over all living creatures..." speech.

I thought the dragoon transformation was very useful. It automatically cured status ailments, and it raised your defense considerably. I remember many times when magic like "Rose Storm" and "Gates of Heaven" got me out of some serious trouble. You can also use elemental spells like "Final Burst" to do a large amount of damage to enemies of the opposite element. (fire vs water, light vs dark, etc etc)

This is my favorite video game of all time, so there's a part of me that doesn't want to admit this game has any faults....it does have a few, but nothing that couldn't be overlooked. That could just be my nostalgia talking, though.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2011, 04:08 AM
I apologize for ragging on LoD Lone Wolf Leonhart, but I have to bring up the limited inventory system as well. That was just wrong to do to players but otherwise its a fun game.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-10-2011, 09:42 PM
I apologize for ragging on LoD Lone Wolf Leonhart, but I have to bring up the limited inventory system as well. That was just wrong to do to players but otherwise its a fun game.

Yeah, I didn't like that, either. You're already having to get rid of or sell items on disc 1 because your inventory isn't big enough.

Now that I think about it, there was an item you could get in the japanese version of the game that increased the size of your inventory, but it was never included in the other releases.

Hollycat
05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Ive never even heard of it, whats it on and about

sharkythesharkdogg
05-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Legend of Dragoon was for PS1. For the story, go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Dragoon).

I really enjoyed it, but I played it when it was new so nostalgia might be kickin' in pretty hard.

Death By Degrees. I love Tekken, I love Nina, and I loved the idea of the game. Even the combat system, in theory, was cool. In execution it was so clunky that playing the game with any fluidity was almost impossible. I loved it anyway.

Shlup
05-12-2011, 01:49 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sz3SF_7iegA/SNqK4RiDJOI/AAAAAAAABZ4/8qF6TU7kv6o/s200/party-babyz-box.jpg

Shiny
05-12-2011, 01:59 AM
You would like something with babies. Is that game seriously about babies partying? Wtf Ubisoft.

Also, I love Legend of the Dragoon. I don't think it's a bad game although it did have it's flaws.

Polnareff
05-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Legend of Dragoon. Even thinking about that broken game makes me cringe and smile at the same time. You think you've heard bad voice acting? if you haven't played LoD you have not.

Oh god yes.

Yup!

Hrah!

DOUBLE

SLASH

!

Or how about.....

"Hup! Go! Hrah! HRAH! HRAH! HRAH! MADNESS...HER-*voice breaks*-OOOOOOO!" :D

But seriously, State of Emergency, Final Fight Streetwise, Devil May Cry 2, and Revolution X for me. ESPECIALLY Final Fight Streetwise. It fails as a Final Fight game (and was panned too) but it was really fun for some reason.

I think I should throw Dawn of Mana in there too. Soooooo much fun, once you get the hang of the clumsy whip mechanics.

Evastio
05-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Quad Desert Fury (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXk_kI5KSso)

Though I like it quite a bit because of how amusing it is. Especially the wipeout animation (see 0:09 of the youtube video I made a link to).

...well, it's amusing because of how bad it is, but that's reason enough for me to like it.

Carl the Llama
05-18-2011, 04:05 AM
Legend of the Dragoon was an awesome game, I can play it any day and still find it fun... actually its been a while since I played it last, I have a copy of it but I have no PS1 memory cards (they got lost) but... I may download this game just so I can go through it again.

Oh and Lavitz >>>>>>> Albert especially his in battle voice, Albert sounds like a girl.

BG-57
05-23-2011, 02:52 AM
When the PSX first came out with FFVII promised to be released I had to make due for RPGs with...Beyond the Beyond. A relentlessly mediocre title from start to finish with nothing that stood out except some nice facial animation in dialogue boxes and decent polygonal battle graphics.

Then came the crippling curse on the best fighter in the game that made him pratically useless for a third of the playthrough. It was really aggravating, but I couldn't stop playing. I tried to convince myself that it was more than a crippled average game and then FFVII came out and I realized what it truly was. I never played it again. But I remember enjoying it at the time.

Polnareff
05-23-2011, 03:04 AM
I actually really enjoy Beyond the Beyond, mainly due to its challenge, which a lot of the newer RPGs at the time were lacking.

Plus it just oozed Shining Force aura (there's a good explanation for that, really....)

black orb
05-23-2011, 03:05 AM
.Beyond the Beyond.
>>> Duude that game was BAD..:luca:

This remind me the tons of bad PSX games I`ve played and I didnt liked. Special mention goes to Sunsoft's Eternal Eyes.

Laddy
05-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Okage: Shadow King. It's really simple and broken, but it's so quirky and silly.

It's not awful, but it's certainly the best PS2 RPG by any means.

Edge7
06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
1. Custom Robo: I love this game, but in retrospect, the plot is cliche, and the battles are repetitive.

2.Wild Arms 2nd Ignition: Despite not being a horrible game, the translation's, the plot likes to beat my head with it's themes WAY too much, the difficulty is laughably easy, and I've yet to find a reason to care for any of the characters besides Ashley and Tim. In fact, I'd probably be playing something else right now if it weren't for the influences Trigun had on the game's setting.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2011, 09:35 AM
^ I just can't agree that Wild ARMS 2nd Ignition was a bad game. Yes its preachy at times but at least its message was actually original as opposed to being a typical "power of friendship/love/human spirit spiel you normally get. Yes the Crimson Knight form of Ashely is ridiculously overpowered but its not like every boss fight was easy either. I don't know... I just can't agree man. It was the last good Wild Arms game if you ask me.

If I was going to bitch about anything with this game, its that basic magic and the summoning system got screwed over a bit. Making one character useless and forcing the player to have to use Tim if you want to summon.

Topaz Flare
06-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I used to think that Devil Mary Cry 4 was bad, but I stilled played it cuz I love the series.

now I just cant stand DMC4 to even bother putting it in the XBOX :P (mainly cuz I played it on PC and I lost the save, then got it for xbox and I cant seem to keep my sanity long enough to stop falling off the platforms in mission 5 :lol:)

Polnareff
06-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah DMC4 is probably the second worst after DMC2. I enjoy 4 though, but not 2.

Street Fighter The Movie, the arcade version, is a horrid game but has this really odd charm to it due to the wacky moves (they mostly have moves that were invented specifically for that game, as opposed to just the regular SF moves) and shifty animation.

Topaz Flare
06-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah DMC4 is probably the second worst after DMC2. I enjoy 4 though, but not 2.

Street Fighter The Movie, the arcade version, is a horrid game but has this really odd charm to it due to the wacky moves (they mostly have moves that were invented specifically for that game, as opposed to just the regular SF moves) and shifty animation.

Oh my God I totally forgot about DMC2. that game was awful!! especially since the demons ran away from you so my style ranking was always poopy >=O

Polnareff
06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I actually got some really strange enjoyment out of DMC2 due to being able to play as Trish. :p But that meant you had to beat the game with Dante and Lucia on Hard difficulty, so I guarded my DMC2 saves where I had done that with my life. My life I say! :mad2:

But there was so much bad stuff about the game. The areas were much larger and had fewer enemies, an auto-targeting system was added that ruined your combos due to the target switching back and forth, guns were way overpowered and carried you through the whole game, and other such things. It was mostly due to the original DMC team not working on it, but they should have known better than to get someone who had previously never directed a game before to direct a sequel like DMC2. :|

Topaz Flare
06-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I actually got some really strange enjoyment out of DMC2 due to being able to play as Trish. :p But that meant you had to beat the game with Dante and Lucia on Hard difficulty, so I guarded my DMC2 saves where I had done that with my life. My life I say! :mad2:

But there was so much bad stuff about the game. The areas were much larger and had fewer enemies, an auto-targeting system was added that ruined your combos due to the target switching back and forth, guns were way overpowered and carried you through the whole game, and other such things. It was mostly due to the original DMC team not working on it, but they should have known better than to get someone who had previously never directed a game before to direct a sequel like DMC2. :|

I didnt know u could play as Trish, but then again I didnt have the time to play it or find out 'bout those extras

What do u think of the new abomination called DMC where dante is skinny with black hair, looks horrific imo r.i.p Dante

Pike
06-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I really can't think of any games I've enjoyed that would fall into the category of "bad". "Mediocre" or "overrated," maybe, but not "bad"...

Pheesh
06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Yahtzee says all the games I like are bad ^_^

aquatius
06-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Probably hundreds of RPG Maker games.

Rebellious Eagle
06-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Final Fantasy X-2 was so laughable but I have like 60 hours logged in it. Gah.

BG-57
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
FFX-2 is a strange case, it's got a weak plot but great game mechanics. It's a good game that seems worse than it is because it's always compared to its much better predacessor, FFX.

Edge7
06-28-2011, 07:22 AM
^ I just can't agree that Wild ARMS 2nd Ignition was a bad game. Yes its preachy at times but at least its message was actually original as opposed to being a typical "power of friendship/love/human spirit spiel you normally get. Yes the Crimson Knight form of Ashely is ridiculously overpowered but its not like every boss fight was easy either. I don't know... I just can't agree man. It was the last good Wild Arms game if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wild Arms 2nd Ignition. At the same time, a lot of things about the game really bug me. The difference in quality between Wild Arms and 2nd Ignition just leaves me a little dissappointed. Well to each his own, I suppose.

As always, I respect your opinion Wolf Kanno, it's just that when I play Wild Arms 2, I criticize the game more than I applaud it. Granted, I still have more fun playing it than I do playing Final Fantasy 13, so obviously I don't hate the game.

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Now, now, I am not saying Wild Arms 2 is better than the first game, just that overall, in the series itself, I would rank it higher than some of the later installments. Course its not like my opinion is right, I'm just saying I feel Wild Arms 2nd Ignitions faults are minor compared to a much larger list of titles out there. :D

Polnareff
06-28-2011, 10:42 PM
I thought the gameplay in the first Wild Arms was much better, but other than that I liked 2 more.

Although my favorite Wild Arms is Alter Code F, the remake of the first game.

TrollHunter
06-28-2011, 10:43 PM
1. Custom Robo: I love this game, but in retrospect, the plot is cliche, and the battles are repetitive.

Such an old post, how did I miss it! Custom robo was so fun, it wasn't that good but I could play that game forever.

Pike
06-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I rescind my earlier statement; SimLife was a pretty terrible game but I played it a lot, and enjoyed it.

Bastian
06-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Hm. I can't quite grasp this thread. A game that you agree is bad but think is good? I mean, I guess every single game has something bad in it, but if the good aspects outweigh the bad aspects doesn't that make it a good game? If the bad aspects outweigh the good... why would you want to play it? Does not compute.

HOWEVER, I guess a lot of people would consider Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (the first one, for the GameCube) to be a bad game because the story was pretty non-existent up until the very end, and you were forced to replay dungeons multiple times. And while it was a mutiplayer, each person had to have their own GBA to play. While I can agree those are all detriments... it was so damn fun to play!

Wolf Kanno
06-30-2011, 01:35 AM
Revelations Persona A.K.A Persona 1 fits this. It has some great elements and some not so great elements. The combat system is unique but has some pretty obnoxious elements like your party position affects what he can hit, meaning the guy on the far left can't hit anything on the far right with a melee attack. Conversation system is a bit random on what works and what doesn't...

Also, the game does a pretty piss poor job explaining affinity. Later installments simplify it with just Arcana but P1 gives everything a sub-affinity class that affects things. So Suddenly, my Chariot Arcana affinity character only has a Good rating on a Chariot type Persona cause the persona's subtype is electricity?

The story is more gnarm and B-Movie goofiness than actual gripping storytelling, though the Snow Queen quest is a bit better. The writing is just awful, even with the PSP ports revamped script, you just discover P1 had a pretty awful writer to begin with, but it does make the game unintentionally funny and I find that endearing about it.

Its a mediocre title at best, and its just kind of sad compared to its sequels which are all substantially better. I feel P1's main fault is simply its very unpolished nature cause P2 keeps a few elements but actually does it in a fun and engaging way.

TrollHunter
07-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Also lord of the rings return of the king is a smurfing terrible game... but I love it so much. It's so addicting but it does so many things wrong.

Laddy
07-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Also lord of the rings return of the king is a smurfing terrible game... but I love it so much. It's so addicting but it does so many things wrong.

I disagree. I actually think it's a perfectly fine old-school action game. Got no issues with it. It's fun, epic, and generally cool. :cool:

Pike
07-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Hm. I can't quite grasp this thread. A game that you agree is bad but think is good? I mean, I guess every single game has something bad in it, but if the good aspects outweigh the bad aspects doesn't that make it a good game? If the bad aspects outweigh the good... why would you want to play it? Does not compute.

That's my typical response to this sort of question but then I realized that some games can be addictive and thus enjoyable in a way whilst not being that valuable in the long run! If that makes any sense~

TrollHunter
07-03-2011, 01:11 AM

I disagree. I actually think it's a perfectly fine old-school action game. Got no issues with it. It's fun, epic, and generally cool. :cool:

The gamecube one says otherwise. I haven't played the other versions. I have to say though, I had a hellofatime on it.