PDA

View Full Version : The Final Fantasy XIII Thread of Happiness, Love, and...er, Good Feelings

hhr1dluv
02-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes, so, I've been fiddling around with FFXIII. The graphics are, of course, amazing but I haven't gotten far enough into the story to see whether it will really grab me (my favorite FFs story-wise are X, VII and X2, largely due, I'm sure, to the romantic plotlines). I can tell it'll be really linear and I am pissed at the lack of minigames.

But whatever.

I want to hear some nice, lovely things about this title because, oftentimes, hearing the passion of other FF fans is what makes me like the games so much. However, MY GOD, this game doesn't seem to have any champions! Anyway, I'd love it if you guys could fill this thread with everything you love about this game. If you really hate it, please feel free to post in one of the 782 hate threads on this board. :)

I am looking forward to shiny happy feelings.

EDIT: Yeah, haha, clearly that thread title should read "Final Fantasy XIII." It's a bit difficult to create threads on my phone.

Roogle
02-17-2011, 07:48 PM
EDIT: Yeah, haha, clearly that thread title should read "Final Fantasy XIII." It's a bit difficult to create threads on my phone.

I changed the title of the topic to read "The Final Fantasy XIII Thread of Happiness, Love, and...er, Good Feelings" for you.

I was impressed with the graphics of Final Fantasy XIII and the number of cutscenes and voice acting that they were able to produce for the game. I hope it sends a trend forward for fully voice acted games going forward.

Dreddz
02-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Good battle system, nice music and pretty graphics. Thats all I got.

Still hate this game.

VeloZer0
02-18-2011, 01:09 AM
FF13 was the first and only game I have ever played that made using AI characters in battle enjoyable.

Ouch!
02-18-2011, 01:32 AM
The battle system was pretty good.

Once everything was unlocked.

At the end of the game.

Jessweeee♪
02-19-2011, 12:47 AM
I really liked the character development in this game. Also it was gorgeous.

Wolf Kanno
02-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Um....

The music isn't so bad, even if most of it is forgettable. The graphics are nice, despite not liking the art design. That's about it all I can muster.

Loony BoB
02-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I love how the thread-starter has called for champions of the game to come out and yet still people who openly dislike the game have come along and posted anyway. :p

The characters made this game so much more enjoyable for me. I liked every one of them, although near the end I'll concede that Hope got a little too much of an "adult-kid" for my tastes. Making president's speeches and all. But the playable characters, their personalities, the development they go through, the changes we see slowly - or quickly, if it's called for - changes happen in their mindset due to unfolding events... all of that. I just really liked it. The dialogue for the most part was pretty good too, especially the stuff we saw between Sazh/Vanille during their little journey.

The battle system worked for me. I liked how it was a bit more tactical for a lot of the tougher enemies, and I definitely enjoyed the level capping involved so that you didn't just grind your way up and then walk through the boss battles. I didn't think I'd like that, but I did.

I liked the weapon upgrade system. It wasn't absolutely perfect when it comes to how easy it was to get the final weapons, but the upgrade process overall worked for me.

Obviously, the graphics were amazing. The voice acting was well done, too.

Frocobo. 'nuff said about that. :D

The differences and atmosphere in the two different worlds is noticeable and that for me means they got the atmosphere of the game in general sorted out pretty well for me.

I love that you could finish the game and then go back and carry on leveling. I also loved that you could get trophies. Both of these things are something I wish every FF could have.

Some of the settings were breathtakingly beautiful.

And possibly the most-liked thing outside of the characters for me was the mythology. It was perfectly balanced to provide a lot of debate amongst ourselves in these forums about what was happening with the Gods and all that, whether certain things were true or simply rumour/fiction, and yet still despite the many things you could debate you still could get a good idea over how things were. It's actually quite similar to a lot of religions in today's world. But it's actually kind of fun/interesting to debate a religion/mythology in a video game, unlike the real world where debating religions is generally rather tiresome.

I really liked what they did with the game, my only real complaint would be the lack of things to do that don't involve fighting. I just... liked it. :)

EDIT: Oh, I also loved the music, but I didn't really notice it in the game because of the massive number of sound effects and dialogue that you are listening to instead of any background music. I suggest jumping onto YouTube and checking out the various FFXIII character themes... they are indeed lovely.

Jessweeee♪
02-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the music was one of my favorite things about the game.

jdj5585
02-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Heh, I actually loved everything about this game except for the weapon upgrade system. It was mostly too expensive to do any good throughout most of the game, and the bonuses didn't pay off (let's face it, most people would go for weapons and a select few accessories--and all the ones you're most likely to work on take a long while to upgrade fully).

I agree with that guy who mentioned Hope's speeches toward the end of the game. For the most part, the characters all enjoyed a dynamic between themselves the likes of which I've never seen in a previous FF (or any game at all, to tell you the truth).

Aside from the things that are almost universally praised (battle system, graphics), I haven't found a single reason to dislike this game, and almost always disagree with the reasoning of anyone who does. Most of the criticisms all seem to cater toward the differences between this installment and previous iterations, but you know what...Final Fantasy has been evolving for a long time now. It's about time something WITHOUT big towns, lots of people, and winding mazes came along. Especially since it wouldn't make sense to have any of them, considering the awesome story and feel to the game wouldn't make any sense at all were they there.

hhr1dluv
02-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Yay! Thank you to those who didn't lace their response with cynicism. :tongue: I think it will be some time before I get back to this title (I'd like to beat VIII and IX before I play it), but I did like what I played. I am interested to see where it'll rank compared to the other FFs...I do think that a good story will make up for gameplay faults. I also just need to get the hang of the battle system.

VeloZer0
02-23-2011, 12:48 AM
.I do think that a good story will make up for gameplay faults.
You just love hanging meat in front of the lions don't you.

Ouch!
02-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Subjectivity sucks.

jdj5585
02-24-2011, 04:42 PM
So does objectivity.

Ouch!
02-24-2011, 07:40 PM
That statement is entirely subjective.