PDA

View Full Version : Handhelds are the future?

Northcrest
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
In my japanese class this guy came from Japan to visit us to tell us about Japan and such. One thing he told me that caught my attention was that almost everybody uses smartphones and such for things like school work, video games, and of course communication. Things like Computers and even laptops few people have and are usually provided at the school for work. I started thinking so are our PSPs, DSs, Iphones, Droids are they going to be the future. I mean I'm a highschool student and I might be different but I don't nearly spent as much time as I use to on my Wii, PS2 or anything else. Though my psp wherever i'm at, I just bust it out and start playing to pass time by. I just recently got a new PS2 controller and got back into my PS2 and realize how much time I spent in kingdom hearts 2 which was about 90 hours. My old dissidia game clocked over 300 hours (before it got stolen). Made me realize I'm gonna miss out on some when I grow up. I thought maybe it would not be that bad to have games like Final Fantasy XV, or more future games come to handhelds. This would definently be fun for me but, Im going to miss out probably for a while. I read some articles and how sony is currently sort of putting the PS4 on hold trying to push things like the Xperia Play and NGP. Even stating that handhelds could be the future. I 'm thinking we would hit this period in about 10-20 years, but it seems its coming sooner than I was expecting.

Anyway I did not plan on typing this much but what do you think? Do you think it will happen soon are is it just something that would not happen. Express yourself

Iceglow
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
People say things like this all the damn time but frankly if someone could accurately predict the future they'd be making a fortune and there would be no mystery in life anymore. I think the idea of trying to sit there and predict it is ludicrous. Time will tell if portables overtake the market but frankly as it stands even though portable consoles are certainly making a huge market for themselves I doubt we'll see the end of the home entertainment system for a while yet.

Bunny
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM
It'll base itself on market trends, like it does now. The DS and PSP are popular, so companies are focusing significantly on releasing titles of each system. When the market shifts again, so will the companies. I don't see a future in which home consoles do not exist, as they bring certain things to the table that portable consoles cannot hope to achieve.

Yeargdribble
02-21-2011, 05:58 PM
When I hear people discuss it they tend to suggest that we're trending away from portables in many ways. Here are a few scenarios.

Shared Content
The NGP seems to highlight this potentiality. Games could come as available for both the NGP and the PS3 and would be able to sync up. Sync up your NGP on the way out the door, play some Uncharted while you're out, sync it back up at home, continue your game where you left off on the NGP on your big TV.

What I keep hearing is that to a large degree people don't want this. They don't want big console experiences shrunk down to their handheld. It loses some of its grandeur and bombast. They want to enjoy those types of games at home with nice audio and a big screen.

I would absolutely welcome it as an option, but I'm not sure how attractive it is to the mainstream.

One iOS to rule them all
Balk as much as you like, but even the serious gamers are starting to lean toward iOS devices. All of the podcasts that used to laugh at the iPhone and complain about controls sucking because fingers cover the screen and how it will never be good enough... yeah, most of those guys are singing the praises of amazing iOS releases like Infinity Blade, Dead Space and Plants vs Zombies to say nothing of the ubiquitous titles like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, and Fruit Ninja which have infected the general populous of FB gamers.

Sure, there are a few holdouts that still say it doesn't matter, the more common thing is to hear people say they no longer carry their PSP or DS because they have an iPhone/iPod Touch and they can't justify carrying two devices. I'm a person who will probably always want my game specific hardware, but I'm starting to find myself in their shoes. It's easier to slide my Touch into my pocket... which I'll have anyway for apps and mobile internet. I just realize that I'll be satisfied enough with playing a floor or two of 100 Rogues if I get the itch and it's not worth lugging a bulky portable that's harder to pick up and put down on the fly.

My Thoughts
Personally, I think the handheld market will continue to thrive, but not necessarily grow significantly; at least it won't grow they way you might expect. I think mobile gaming is taking off, but rather than iPhone gaming luring new people to Nintendo and Sony platforms, it seems to be trending the other way. Either DS/PSP style gaming will continue at a plateau or it will slowly drop off as people start to prefer a simply solution... one device in their pocket that does it all... like and iPhone.

Even among the largest demographic I see with DSes (kids) it will probably go that route. If a parent is deciding between a Touch and 3DS it'll be a tough call considering the prices and what all else the touch can do. Kids will want a music player anyway... why not kill two birds with one stone.

I'm really excited about the NGP, but it's going to be large and is going to exacerbate the issue of portability next to the iPhone.

Also, I think your estimate of 10-20 years is a bit myopic. In 10 years the tech will make this thread look silly as crap. It's ridiculous difficult to predict things in tech due to unknowns. Plotting a course for know tech almost always underestimates its speed and the other problem is not considering new tech. Iceglow, I'm pretty sure you're close to my age and if you think back 10-15 years at how quickly things like the internet swarmed us... how quickly phones went from lol Nokias to amazing computers in our pockets.... yeah. Tech moves so fast we can't even imagine. Most of the things we were predicting then were ridiculous and didn't even imagine a world like we have today.

Jesus, in 10-20 years we might just be doing some neural interface with our portable computers via wireless to play augmented reality games on our 3D display contact lenses. Seriously... stuff can get that crazy that fast. But in the short-term, I see us leaving gaming only devices to hobbyists.

Vyk
02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
If Apple teamed up with the guys behind the Pandora (http://www.openpandora.org/), you'd have your ultimate handheld device for the next 5+ years :P

DMKA
02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Ugh, I hope not. I haven't cared about a handheld enough to own one since Gameboy Color. I had a PSP but then I quickly realized it had no games and returned it.

Honestly it's not because they don't have worthy titles or anything, but it's the same reason I've never owned an iPod or laptop; I'd never use them. Whenever I'm not home I'm always busy doing something, not sitting around to where I can listen to music, watch a movie, or play a video game. I do these things at home or at a friend's house when I'm not busy. The only time I'd be able to make use of these things is when I'm traveling, like on an airplane, but that happens so rarely that it wouldn't warrant me dishing out the money for any of these devices.

It's a shame that all this stuff wasn't around at affordable prices when I was a kid/teenager. I would have put them to great use.

kotora
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM
One iOS to rule them all

not going to happen on the long term because of basic economics. the other big electronics companies aren't gonna let Apple be the sole monopolist on the market.

Yeargdribble
02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
One iOS to rule them all

not going to happen on the long term because of basic economics. the other big electronics companies aren't gonna let Apple be the sole monopolist on the market.

I don't think iOS platforms will suffocate the gamer specific devices ever, but I think convenient portable gaming is going to slow the spread of those platforms. The casual demographic that Nintendo aimed at with commercials feature Liv Tyler and Beyonce playing shovelware now has a better place to go. They can just get an iPhone or Android phone and be more than satisfied. People who bought into the Wii and DS for moms crap are probably wise the scheme now. They know that those gaming only devices collected dust.

Meanwhile, more gamers are starting to take iOS and Android seriously as platforms, especially with some of the iPad stuff.

I think the rise of these casual platforms is going to halt any potential takeover of traditional gaming handhelds.

But hey... Apple could take a nosedive too. Remember in the early 90s when Apple was a laughable company on its way out the door? I'm not saying that they are heading that direction but rather that the public is fickle and all it takes is some silly idea (like the iMac) for some usurper to start turning them in another direction. But despite what happens to Apple as a business, the impact that they've made on portable gaming is going to stick.

Rostum
02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
One thing to keep in mind is a lot of big studios have been shutting down and more indie studios are popping up. Due to lack of resources, these indies are aiming at things like the iPhone simply because it's really cheap to develop for and there's a massive market for it (when I say massive, I mean much bigger than the console, pc and nintendo market). Why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on development kits and a big staff list when you can just get a few people together and only spend a hundred on an iOS licesnse? Even marketing can be done on the cheap these days, what with social networks and all. Just look at Angry Birds, it has already sold over 15 million copies.

Except that it's been that way for many years.

Apple have had over four years to implant their iPhone devices in to the general publics mind. Everyone either has an iPhone or wants one. It'll be really tough to try and get in to the smartphone market as has been seen with Windows Phone 7 which is ultimately a superior OS for smartphones (who are now going to team up with Nokia, so we'll see how that goes).

Just another quick tidbit - Games are going social. Even moreso than before. Things like Facebook are a hugely viable option for developers. I was reading up about an analysis saying that you don't even have to have a top ranking game on Facebook to be able to make $500,000/yr. It's really that insane. So I think the social aspect will really impact what the next consoles and handhelds will be like, as the smartphones have already had a jump start in that direction.

EDIT:

I thought this might be of some interest:
http://toucharcade.com/2011/02/21/square-enix-confirms-final-fantasy-iii-release/

nirojan
02-21-2011, 10:37 PM
AS of me writing this it's a three way tie!
It'll be a co-existance. As much as handhelds are improving and coming closer and closer to the home console experience, the majority of the people will still prefer home consoles. Yes some iphone games are breaking through, like infinity blade and dead space, but untill the standard iphone games reach that level of fidelity, I don't see that really being a threat. As for portable handhelds, well the 3DS and the NGP (especially seeing the graphics power behind this one) are really edging towards the HD console experience, but most gamers will still favour laying on a couch and playing games on a 50' screen.

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of big studios have been shutting down and more indie studios are popping up. Due to lack of resources, these indies are aiming at things like the iPhone simply because it's really cheap to develop for and there's a massive market for it (when I say massive, I mean much bigger than the console, pc and nintendo market). Why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on development kits and a big staff list when you can just get a few people together and only spend a hundred on an iOS licesnse? Even marketing can be done on the cheap these days, what with social networks and all. Just look at Angry Birds, it has already sold over 15 million copies.

I hope you know those indie devs are not making much. Another thing your wrong about is console development is not in the hundred of thousands it's in the millions (for HD console games/high-end PC titles). Angry birds is probably the best selling iOS game, and like you stated it sold 15 million, but a game that started off as a $1.99 game and dropped to $0.99 doesn't make much. Let's say even if everyone bought it back when it was 2 buck (and they didn't), that'd be around 30 million in sales. Let's not forget development cost and the Apple royalty. That's no where near what console specific games are making. Both COD MW2 and COD BO made over a BILLION EACH!! That's best selling iOS vs best selling Console game! Even if you subtract the 2 year pay for the developers to make those titles (Infinity Ward and Treyarch), add in the MASSIVE ad campaign Activision put out for the game, the $10 royalty (to MS for 360 and to Sony for PS3) and in the end they have still made Billions. Now I know I picked the extreme example, but in fairness you chose the best selling iOS title. Games like Final Fantasy, Halo, Resident Evil, Gran Theft Auto, etc. that sell around the 5-10 million units are still making hundred's of million of dollars. You really are talking oranges and apples when comparing sales between mobile platforms and consoles. For big publishers, the mobile market is more of an experiment then any actual profit. Look at what EA had to do with their iOS titles, they tried to make money like how they do on consoles, but failed miserably. Now they dropped soo many of their games down to $0.99 (most which started of as $9.99)! The problem with your "MASSIVE" market is that not everyone who buys an iphone will be gaming on it. There are people who *brace for it* just use it as a phone! compare itunes/app store sales to the number of iphone units sold worldwide around release to new customers.

Rase
02-21-2011, 11:04 PM
For me the different ways of playing a game signify different experiences. When I want a solid RPG or nice 2D adventure game I curl up with my DS and enjoy. When I want to play multiplayer games, shooters, or 3D adventure games I lounge in front of the TV on my 360 or Wii, or sit in the cocoon-like area around my PC. On the go, I whip out my iPod Touch and play little puzzle games and such for 5-10 mins while waiting for the doctor or whatever. I don't see any of these going away and hope they do not, as they provide me with whatever experience I want at a given moment.

Rostum
02-21-2011, 11:46 PM
I hope you know those indie devs are not making much. Another thing your wrong about is console development is not in the hundred of thousands it's in the millions (for HD console games/high-end PC titles). Angry birds is probably the best selling iOS game, and like you stated it sold 15 million, but a game that started off as a $1.99 game and dropped to $0.99 doesn't make much. Let's say even if everyone bought it back when it was 2 buck (and they didn't), that'd be around 30 million in sales. Let's not forget development cost and the Apple royalty. That's no where near what console specific games are making. Both COD MW2 and COD BO made over a BILLION EACH!! That's best selling iOS vs best selling Console game! Even if you subtract the 2 year pay for the developers to make those titles (Infinity Ward and Treyarch), add in the MASSIVE ad campaign Activision put out for the game, the $10 royalty (to MS for 360 and to Sony for PS3) and in the end they have still made Billions. Now I know I picked the extreme example, but in fairness you chose the best selling iOS title. Games like Final Fantasy, Halo, Resident Evil, Gran Theft Auto, etc. that sell around the 5-10 million units are still making hundred's of million of dollars. You really are talking oranges and apples when comparing sales between mobile platforms and consoles. For big publishers, the mobile market is more of an experiment then any actual profit. Look at what EA had to do with their iOS titles, they tried to make money like how they do on consoles, but failed miserably. Now they dropped soo many of their games down to $0.99 (most which started of as $9.99)! The problem with your "MASSIVE" market is that not everyone who buys an iphone will be gaming on it. There are people who *brace for it* just use it as a phone! compare itunes/app store sales to the number of iphone units sold worldwide around release to new customers.

You have a problem with reading comprehension, don't you? I'm not talking about the huge companies that sell blockbusters, I'm talking about the smaller companies that are turning indie and don't need to get hundreds of thousand dollar loans to make a project when there are better options now (note: I'm not talking about companies that can put in 50 million dollars and 3+ years to a title). Contrary to popular belief, there is more to the industry than just the big cheeses like Square-Enix, EA and Activision. And the smaller guys are struggling big time to the point where they are turning indie and the iOS platform (especially with the Mac App Store now released) is a great way to get in there without having to fork out licensing fees that are huge.

It's all relative, too. Whilst Angry Birds won't make billions of dollars, they won't have to hire hundreds of people and get licenses and investors that want their piece of the pie. There are huge amounts of indie studios (and I'm not even going to consider EA since the iPhone/Smartphone market isn't based off how much production value you can shove in to a title) that are surviving just fine and making a lot of money for themselves.

nirojan
02-22-2011, 12:04 AM
@Rostum:
Well that's problem we both share. I never said that's what you were talking about. I merely showed the difference between the 2 markets for the sake of the thread we're in. As for small studios turning indie, I just wanted to point out they aren't making as much as you think. That Facebook title that you said was making half a million a year, im going to assume is Farmville. Zynga posted profits at around 15 million which means their top grossing game isn't pulling all that hard cash for them. I mean even considering Mafia Wars, Texas hold um (and to a lesser extent) Cityville, that's not really where there making money. They're making most of their money through advertising and lease agreement shares with facebook. Those indie devs being the future is faaaaaaar off is what I was getting at. Me pulling the big publishers into this was to show you CONTRAST. Yes those are amazing feats for small companies, but I think we're talking about those companies taking over in the long run on smaller platforms (like mobile or social networks).

Northcrest
02-22-2011, 12:26 AM
read some comments that are really interesting. I didn't mean to say their wern't gonna be no more consoles i can see family games especially taking up consoles as well as others. Like yeargdribble was saying things like the ngp as much as i'm gonna want to buy it i know it probably won't sell nearly as much as 3ds or iphone. Nirojan and Rostum i can also see your guys points makes alot of sense especially the one that rostum stated about big companies working on iOS games to make some extra money.

VeloZer0
02-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Electronic news has made newspapers obsolete, but reading the newspaper over a meal is still by far my favorite way to consume news.

Even if my phone can play every single game my home console can unless it is streaming through my TV and folds into a more ergonomic controller it will never displace the console.

Mirage
02-22-2011, 02:53 AM
I find it to be a crazy thought that I would willingly (and permanently) give up a big, high resolution monitor and practically endless storage space for some small crappy device with a 3 inch screen.

No, not until I can have high resolution graphics projected directly onto my retina though a device that is no bigger than a pair of designer sun shades, and it lets me display graphics so good that they are indistinguishable from those generated by a high powered device that generates enough heat to fry my balls off.

Rostum
02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
@Rostum:
Well that's problem we both share. I never said that's what you were talking about. I merely showed the difference between the 2 markets for the sake of the thread we're in. As for small studios turning indie, I just wanted to point out they aren't making as much as you think. That Facebook title that you said was making half a million a year, im going to assume is Farmville. Zynga posted profits at around 15 million which means their top grossing game isn't pulling all that hard cash for them. I mean even considering Mafia Wars, Texas hold um (and to a lesser extent) Cityville, that's not really where there making money. They're making most of their money through advertising and lease agreement shares with facebook. Those indie devs being the future is faaaaaaar off is what I was getting at. Me pulling the big publishers into this was to show you CONTRAST. Yes those are amazing feats for small companies, but I think we're talking about those companies taking over in the long run on smaller platforms (like mobile or social networks).

I do appreciate your side of things, however I wasn't really saying that handheld gaming (especially the smartphone area) is going to take over. Just giving a perspective from someone that's in the indie scene after doing contract work for bigger productions, and attempting to start up a studio.

Here's an article about games on Facebook:
Gamasutra - Features - Gaming The New Era Of Facebook (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6282/gaming_the_new_era_of_facebook.php)
It's an interesting read.

As a gamer I definitely prefer to sit on the couch and watch the HD glory that is console gaming. It's much more comfortable too, can never get used to the narrow PSP/DS/Smartphone devices! In fact I ended up buying an AV/Component cable for my PSP to my HDTV (even if the resolution isn't that great), and sadly couldn't hook in my PS3 controller. :(

Jiro
02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
This syncing business Yearg mentioned seems interesting, but I can't really see handheld gaming "taking over" or making consoles obsolete. Though if we get to the point where we have full VR on our phones, well...

Loony BoB
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I think it'll firstly go towards what was mentioned earlier in this thread - a merging of portable consoles and home consoles. Tech will get to a point that it becomes normal to simply plug a PSP3 or whatever into a television and get 1080p quality graphics. And after that, Move/Kinect/etc will develop into something that can track your finger movements, meaning you can create a virtual keyboard. Of course, you can't see it, so they put it into your eyes via 3D. This means either glasses that display things in 3D or a hologram. While the 'minority report' interactive hologram style is considered what most people want to get to, I think it will probably the former as it would be more portable. Then you can type away on your keyboard image and move all sorts of things around, point to where your character should go on your 3D landscape, things like that. Perhaps make it immersive and go first person. All sorts of possibilities kick in.

But first, I think they will merge portable and home consoles into a single console that does it all. If you think about it, companies lose a lot of money on consoles but make that money back in game sales. Right now, the home and portable console means they lose money on potentially twice the number of consoles. If they had one console for both, they would make money back faster. At least, I think that's right...

kotora
02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
I think it'll firstly go towards what was mentioned earlier in this thread - a merging of portable consoles and home consoles. Tech will get to a point that it becomes normal to simply plug a PSP3 or whatever into a television and get 1080p quality graphics. And after that, Move/Kinect/etc will develop into something that can track your finger movements, meaning you can create a virtual keyboard. Of course, you can't see it, so they put it into your eyes via 3D. This means either glasses that display things in 3D or a hologram. While the 'minority report' interactive hologram style is considered what most people want to get to, I think it will probably the former as it would be more portable. Then you can type away on your keyboard image and move all sorts of things around, point to where your character should go on your 3D landscape, things like that. Perhaps make it immersive and go first person. All sorts of possibilities kick in.

Nah the real future is with neural implants and whatnot. We'd be able to experience an virtual reality that is just as real as anything. Which of course would cause some major global instability, because let's face it the real world sucks balls. Who would wanna go back if you can just plug into an awesome fantasy world where you slay dragons and bang hot elf chicks all day?

Yeargdribble
02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
The advent of holodeck technology will mark the beginning of the end of humanity.

edczxcvbnm
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think handhelds are the future. I always had trouble getting into the handheld market until I realized that, for the most part, they are trying to replicate the home experience on the go. I just want something stupid to play on the go for 1-4 minutes at a time. I recently got an Android phone and I love Angry Birds. Exactly what I want on the go. I can play for less than a minute and feel like I accomplished something. Just a quick stupid fun game.

I like sitting back and playing an expansive game for a couple of hours without all of the distractions of the world. The portable world has me hunched forward looking down at my lap with all of the distractions of the world.

I think with technology like the Wii (motion controls) and the Kinect (video controls) the home market will always be there as those cannot be replicated as easily on a handheld. You are now going to be swinging your 3DS around like a sword and be able to look at the screen and you can't play Dance Central when the screen in 2 feet away from your face.

ljkkjlcm9
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech will get to a point where you don't even have to plug the portable system into the TV, it will connect wirelessly. Portable consoles will be home consoles, one in the same. The system will be the controller when you play on the TV, and you can take it on the go at any time. Beyond that, it will be like those commercials where you see a guy go from one room to another picking up the movies exactly where he left off. The systems will do the same thing, connect to one TV in the living room, decide to go to your bedroom and continue right where you left off, even being able to play on the system as you go from one to the next.

THE JACKEL

edczxcvbnm
02-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I would be more inclined to believe that if the industry could at least do it with wires and only the PSP allowed you to hook up directly to your TV and even then it wasn't a 1st gen PSP thing. It was later release of the 2000 and 3000 line if memory serves me correctly.

Vyk
02-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I would be more inclined to believe that if the industry could at least do it with wires and only the PSP allowed you to hook up directly to your TV and even then it wasn't a 1st gen PSP thing. It was later release of the 2000 and 3000 line if memory serves me correctly.

Yeah the one draw back to my PSP 1000, not being able to play my emulated games on my TV, that would be pretty awesome

ljkkjlcm9
02-23-2011, 08:08 PM

we are talking about the FUTURE right?

Sony will probably be one of the first to do it too, having their own TV's as well as portable gaming. You may find it farfetched, but in the next 15-20 years? highly plausible.

THE JACKEL

Miriel
02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't know if it counts as a handheld, but I LOVE playing games on my Ipad. I actually wish that SE games were available on the ipad. That would be neat.

I know a lot of professionals who got the ipad for business reasons (using it during meetings, consultations, credit card transactions, etc) but all of us just use it to play games. :p

Yeargdribble
02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't know if it counts as a handheld, but I LOVE playing games on my Ipad. I actually wish that SE games were available on the ipad. That would be neat.

Haven't you heard about FF III? It's basically going to be an up-res'd DS port for iOS devices.

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2011, 04:27 AM

we are talking about the FUTURE right?

Sony will probably be one of the first to do it too, having their own TV's as well as portable gaming. You may find it farfetched, but in the next 15-20 years? highly plausible.

THE JACKEL

Ah but there is my problem. I for see technology of televisions and games going further. Holographic VR further =D I don't foresee the handheld screens doing that and by the time they can at the level of a console then I would imagine the next level of VR would take effect. That is why I don't think the console will ever be obsolete in favor of pure handhelds.

The processing power can always be shrunk but I think the future of how we use visuals will require more of a full room. It is kind of like I said w/ the Kinect. You are not playing dance dance what the smurf ever on the bus. Certain games demand the home console and space of the home to do it. Sure they could just make a portable system and you could just hook it all up and only play that game on your TV and never on the road. They could make it but they will not for much of the same reason RTS games are primarily PC games that get the occasion :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty port that no one really cares about and is clearly just a quick cash-in to try and get a few more bucks out of the game.

I do believe that handhelds can be the future leader of the industry and be the main driver of sales.

Del Murder
02-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I know I play much more handheld games than console games now. I didn't even own a current generation console until last year. I'm an old school type gamer, and many handheld games have that old school appeal (New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, FF ports). I don't know if handheld is the future of gaming per se, but they definitely are the games I look forward to more. What other game can you play while you watch TV!

Bolivar
02-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I highly doubt there will be a console-less future, I honestly think that I in fact do not like playing portable games, I would always take the home console over it, but I have a lot of time traveling, and there's exclusives on handhelds, so there you go.

As far as handhelds being the main driver of sales and this industry as a whole, I can see that, because there's far more non-gamers who don't mind playing a quick game before a meeting, than there are gamers, who want substantial experiences as their outlet. I wouldn't be surprised if by some calculation, we're already there.

About Indie devs springing up while big studios are closing, that's not really a good thing for those smaller developers. The vast majority of them coming up now are kids who grew up playing SNES, Genesis, and Warcraft and wanted to make video games, now they're out of college with degrees and no job, so they join a professional organization, find a few friends, and form a "studio," and guess what the only viable platform is? iOS. The games are bad and so is the pay, they can barely afford to live, and either live off their wives (because let's face it, like engineering, males are the only ones who really want to do it) or better yet, their parents. We talk so much about the future, but look at the here and now, game development is an over-saturated employment field and handheld gaming is an over-saturated market.

I do feel like it may be able to bring about another golden age of RPG's or such, because I feel one of these studios who only has their product to go on is really going to put effort and creativity into a couple good games, and really make a name for itself, because all it can do is make good games. They don't have shareholders to answer to because they're a small LLC.

I like JACKAL's idea of a handheld that is a console, and I could see Sony doing it in the next 5-7 years. Playing Killzone 3 and looking at how far ahead the production values are, and knowing that the next generation games would have to spend enough money and time making a game look at least better than that, I can honestly say the next generation of home consoles is not coming, and whoever moves towards it first is going to crash. Instead we're going to keep seeing different things like Move and Kinect, and I think Jackal's ideal is going to be a part of that. I also think more phone are going to come out like the Xperia Play, where it has a d-pad and maybe 2-4 buttons. I could easily see the Play failing because it's Sony and they're just prone to fail with their pricey, futuristic hardware no one can afford or utilize fully, so I can see a different phone manufacturer doing it, maybe with windows 7 and some kind of Xbox Live functionality.

And lastly, yes, when we have contact lenses or brain implants that display virtual reality for us, reality is fucked. But then again everyone in the 60's thought we would have flying cars 10 years ago, it's never the technology we predict that comes to fruition, only the stuff that has the right amount of practicality, novelty, and appears at the right time to be used by the right consumers.

Depression Moon
02-25-2011, 12:29 PM
People say things like this all the damn time but frankly if someone could accurately predict the future they'd be making a fortune and there would be no mystery in life anymore.

That line of thinking doesn't work considering the future could be an infinite amount of possible things. Just seeing an infant being named Chris fifty years in the future wouldn't net you money and you must also seem that the seer must be able to see anything at his/her will at anytime and realize when he or she is doing it. You are also forgetting the people who are afraid of success, don't care etc. Then you also have the side where it is hard to convince or prove to someone.

There's also the subject that maybe some of these wealthy people did have visions of the future and that's why they are wealthy in the first place. As for the topic I don't think handhelds will dominate here in the US.

Skyblade
02-25-2011, 10:28 PM
The future of gaming as a whole? I doubt it, but acknowledge the possibility.

My personal gaming future? Absolutely. Handhelds already dominate most of that. Even putting aside the convenience, fewer and fewer games are being released on consoles that I want to play. I have more games for my DS than I do for my other systems combined, and I play them more frequently. Console RPGs seem to be getting worse and worse, while handheld ones keep getting better and better (and RPGs are far and away my favorite genre).

This is part of why I love the poor graphics of the DS. It gives developers an excuse to avoid making the shiniest graphics possible. And the result is that we get DQIX instead of FFXIII.

VeloZer0
02-26-2011, 12:46 AM
But as handheld graphics increase it will just be the same problems all over again. It's juts a time lag due to the hardware.

Skyblade
02-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Probably. I'm just hoping that the market for games that suck but that look pretty would have crashed by then.