PDA

View Full Version : TBA '11

Pheesh
02-22-2011, 06:51 AM
This is just a quick question. When a game's release date is listed as 'TBA ##' does that mean it's going to be released in that year with the exact date still to be announced, or does it mean that they're going to announce the release date that year but that the actual date of release could be any year? I've always assumed it's the former option, but I was wondering if someone could tell me for sure.

Not sure if there's any discussion to be had. Talk about any TBA 11 games or release dates in general if you like.

Jiro
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I thought the former too, but now I'm not so sure. It'd be a bitch move to pull. When someone sees a year, they want it to be that year.

edczxcvbnm
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM
It really means that the publication where you go that information thinks the game will come out in said year. They go to the trade shows and see what is in development and get to see how far along things are progressing on many projects. Some developers will announce sometime in XX year and IGN will throw that on the upcoming games list.

There is no way to know for sure if the game will hit when said. The company could be bought and the game quietly axed. For a company announcing a release date too far in advance can put the dev team in a bad spot to try and deliver before the product is really ready.

It is all really guess work by everyone and it becomes easier to tell as a game nears completion as to when it will actually be released.

Yeargdribble
02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Like edczxcvbnm said, its essentially a moderately informed guess. I also agree that you shouldn't put your money on things coming out in those time frames. I have a sliding scale of personal expectations.

TBA (year) - don't hold your breath
TBA (quarter) - be cautiously hopeful
date more than 6 months away - hopeful but ready for disappointment
date under 3 months away - pretty sure thing

Oh yeah... one other category

Blizzard or Valve game - sometime after your unborn child gives birth to your first grandchild

Iceglow
02-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Also double check with some retailers if they say "Oh there is a release date listed on our system" because sometimes in the retail side you do get to know when the game comes out in advance so you can plan for it but sometimes they'll just have a jargon date on the system, unless the member of staff is an idiot or new though they should be able to tell this.

DMKA
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Blizzard or Valve game - sometime after your unborn child gives birth to your first grandchild

Oh come now, Starcraft Ghost and HL: Episode 3 still have a shot at 2011! Really I can feel it!

Jessweeee♪
02-25-2011, 04:14 AM
I've always assumed that it meant that the developers were shooting for that particular year, but nothing was definite.