PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Dungeons

Del Murder
02-25-2011, 06:16 AM
I don't know if there was ever a thread on this game but I just discovered it and it's a lot of fun! It reminds me of Flying Mullet's rpg game from back in the day.

It's pretty simple, walk around a dungeon killing things and gaining experience enough to fight the boss. But there is a surprising amount of depth to it. There are races and classes and gods and magic and all kinds of stuff.

The best part is that it's free. Check it out here:

QCF Design (http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20)

G13
02-25-2011, 08:34 AM
This is pretty fun! I've yet to clear a dungeon without dying but I'm really enjoying this game. Nice find, man!

Del Murder
02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah, it can be hard. I've only cleared it twice. Once with Thief and once with Priest. I unlocked the Monk class so I'll try that out.

G13
02-25-2011, 09:04 AM
I've been trying with a Human Fighter. I'm about ready to ditch this one and try a different combo. I'm stuck with a bunch of higher level enemies, no health, and no money. D:

Del Murder
02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Your money accumulates between games. So if you get a bunch of gold in this game and die you will start with it the next game. That may be the advantage you need.

Fighter class is actually pretty hard. I went with Thief class first. The 30% attack boost they get on first strikes really helped. Also, if you find your way is blocked by a bunch of higher level enemies, there is a spell that will teleport them to a random tile in the dungeon, opening the way for you. But you have to find the spell first. =/

G13
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM
After like 10 tries I finally beat my first dungeon. Fighter baby! :smug: Although it did take 10 times.

I tried out the Berserker in Snake Pit and killed exactly 0 enemies before dying. Snake Pit is tough, man. :(

I'll give Thief a go next. That 30% attack boost sounds pretty sweet.

Del Murder
02-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Yeah Snake Pit is dastardly. I actually got far enough to fight one of the bosses but I was weak as hell on it.

G13
02-26-2011, 01:25 AM
I got lucky enough to snag one of those barrier breaking spells and evaded a bunch of the nastier enemies. Somehow made it to level 4. I made the mistake of exploring the whole available map too soon, though, so I didn't have enough health when I came up on a level 3 snake. :irked:

Mother Earth, man, worship her if you find her. Poison resistance is a beautiful thing!

Del Murder
02-26-2011, 02:24 AM
I worshipped her but then I killed a snake and lost her favor. :(

G13
02-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Really!? :eek:

I'm staying away from those til I can get a poison ward or whatever it is then!

Madonna
02-26-2011, 05:13 AM
http://vignettegrimoire.com/_lynx/desktopdungeons_1stwin.gif

I have played Youdunnit, one of the developer's other games, and it was grand. The adjective also applies to The Last Fleet, which is pretty fun and different.

Desktop Dungeons is pretty neat, if a little hard. Also? Some of the random generations have put me in nearly impossible situations I could not overcome. I have been addicted to this game all evening. Oh, I did find a little glitch which may be exploited, should circumstance smile upon you: IF you are so lucky to have an altar dedicated to Mystera Annur, AND have the IMAWAL glyph, you can cast IMAWAL on the dungeon boss forever, building up Piety to get any boon you could want or dream. I do not think you need anything else, but feel free to correct.

Kossage
02-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Desktop Dungeons a nice game that I discovered a few months ago. It was fun playing through it and unlocking new classes, races and dungeons. :)