PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Unbreakable Will
02-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I read quite often and I was wondering what you guys are currently reading. Also, feel free to talk about your favorite book/series. :hat:

I'm currently hacking my way through book seven, Reaper's Gale, of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.
It's an awesome series but two of the books have really been taxing to read because of shifts in character, but I still highly recommend it.

Remon
02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm reading The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. It's a crime novel, my favorite genre.

Mirage
02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
A brief history of time, by Stephen Hawking. After that, I plan on re-reading Cosmos, by Carl Sagan. I haven't read that book since I was 12-13 years old.

theundeadhero
02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I recently finished the most current Wheel of Time book, The Godfather, and Steven King's The Dark Half. I'm out of books to read until I feel like looking on Amazon to have some more shipped out to me.

Shiny
02-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Blackboy by Richard Wright and Christ in Concrete by Pietro di Donato.

Unbreakable Will
02-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I recently finished the most current Wheel of Time book, The Godfather, and Steven King's The Dark Half. I'm out of books to read until I feel like looking on Amazon to have some more shipped out to me.
My uncle reads that same series, is it any good?

sharkythesharkdogg
02-25-2011, 09:38 PM
I found The Blind Watchmaker in a thrift shop for 2 dollars and couldn't pass that up. I figured it's about time I gave it a read.

I love George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series. It just takes soooooo long between books. It was supposed to be five books, and he decided that wasn't enough to fit the story in. Now it's up to at least eight books, but we're still on book four and he hasn't published another one since '05. :(:mad2:

Damn you, Martin! I've been reading this crap since '96! If you die on me before you finish this, I'll some how find a way to re-murder you!!

Unbreakable Will
02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I found The Blind Watchmaker in a thrift shop for 2 dollars and couldn't pass that up. I figured it's about time I gave it a read.

I love George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series. It just takes soooooo long between books. It was supposed to be five books, and he decided that wasn't enough to fit the story in. Now it's up to at least eight books, but we're still on book four and he hasn't published another one since '05. :(:mad2:

Damn you, Martin! I've been reading this crap since '96! If you die on me before you finish this, I'll some how find a way to re-murder you!!
Haha I read up to book three, I loved it. It's a rather intense series, main characters drop like flies :zombert:

sharkythesharkdogg
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I've been reading that damn series longer than I've been in any relationship. That puts things in perspective. That man needs to step on it. He said he'd be done with the 5th book back in '07. The last update was '08!! Is he dead? Someone check on that and get back to me......

G13
02-25-2011, 10:16 PM
He's alive and well working on the HBO series A Game of Thrones. :monster:

I'm still working my way through A Game of Thrones atm, but I'm thinking about starting the second book The Obsidian Chronicles. Highly recommended that series. The Riftwar Saga is another of my favorites.

Chris
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Currently ploughing my way through "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" again, and boy, I forgot just how doggone long it was.

Next book is "The Goblet of Fire".

sharkythesharkdogg
02-25-2011, 10:58 PM
He's alive and well working on the HBO series A Game of Thrones. :monster:

I'm still working my way through A Game of Thrones atm, but I'm thinking about starting the second book The Obsidian Chronicles. Highly recommended that series. The Riftwar Saga is another of my favorites.

Joy. Hopefully it won't fail as hard as Salvatore's "Confessor" t.v. series. That was painful. The book series is another excellent one though.

Rantz
02-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk currently. It's my first Palahniuk book, and I'm loving it.

Unbreakable Will
02-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Salvatore? As in R.A. Salvatore? :bigsmile:

Boney King
02-26-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm reading The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. It's a crime novel, my favorite genre.

I'd love to pick that up at some point, I've got a thing for noir/detective stories.

Reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk currently. It's my first Palahniuk book, and I'm loving it.

Might I recommend picking up Choke and Haunted after you've finished Invisible Monsters? I'm not a big fan of Palahniuk anymore but I feel those are his two strongest novels. I didn't like Invisible Monsters all that much.

I'm currently in the middle of Crime and Punishment and after that I'm going to take a stab at David Copperfield.

Rantz
02-26-2011, 01:25 AM

Might I recommend picking up Choke and Haunted after you've finished Invisible Monsters? I'm not a big fan of Palahniuk anymore but I feel those are his two strongest novels. I didn't like Invisible Monsters all that much.

Yesss, definitely picking up more of his books. I'll keep those recommendations in mind, thanks!

AstonMartin
02-27-2011, 04:33 AM
im reading crank i have no clue who the author is though... its some sort of epic poem best book ive ever read :D

Bunny
02-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Aside from the constant struggle with my school textbooks I'm trucking through the following:

Runelords: Brotherhood of the Wolf by David Farland
The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter Heather
The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer
Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson

With about three dozen books waiting in the wings to be read. I'll probably drop everything and consume Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss the second that I can get my hands on a copy, though.

Kirobaito
02-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Aside from the constant struggle with my school textbooks I'm trucking through the following:

Runelords: Brotherhood of the Wolf by David Farland
The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter Heather
The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer
Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson

With about three dozen books waiting in the wings to be read. I'll probably drop everything and consume Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss the second that I can get my hands on a copy, though.
Yay, nonfiction books!

I'm reading Nixonland by Rick Perlstein.

Slothy
02-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Been reading The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell. It's an awesome book for anyone aspiring to one day make games. It's actually given me quite a bit of food for thought about my own endeavours so far and I'm maybe 1/3rd of the way through.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Yes, although I'm a dumbass. Goodkind has the excellent Confessor series (and the terrible television spin off). I like Salvatore's Demonwars saga. I can't believe I mixed those up. :roll2

Unbreakable Will
02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Been reading The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell. It's an awesome book for anyone aspiring to one day make games. It's actually given me quite a bit of food for thought about my own endeavours so far and I'm maybe 1/3rd of the way through.
I'll have to check that out, I'm really interested in getting my 'gamer' degree at a tech school.

Yes, although I'm a dumbass. Goodkind has the excellent Confessor series (and the terrible television spin off). I like Salvatore's Demonwars saga. I can't believe I mixed those up. :roll2
I haven't had a chance to read the Demonwars yet but I've read most of the Legend of Drizzt series and really love those.

Laddy
02-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-27-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm also reading Origin of Species, but it's so damn dry. It's dated, inaccurate, and dry. It's also interesting to see where he had moments of inspiration. So it's worth it. I just take it in occasional chunks.

Clo
02-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm reading Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who is one of my favorite authors.

theundeadhero
02-27-2011, 06:35 PM
The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter HeatherIronically enough, I'm reading The Last King which is about Mithridates and his defiance of Rome.

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2011, 07:11 PM
The Divine Comedy.

I haven't done any regular reading since high school, so it's slow going :|

Unbreakable Will
02-27-2011, 07:30 PM
The Divine Comedy.

I've wanted to read that, how is it?

Flying Arrow
02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I read quite often and I was wondering what you guys are currently reading. Also, feel free to talk about your favorite book/series. :hat:

I'm currently hacking my way through book seven, Reaper's Gale, of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.
It's an awesome series but two of the books have really been taxing to read because of shifts in character, but I still highly recommend it.

I got the first couple of books for a friend of mine and now he swears by them (last year I got him Sword of Truth, which he now swears against).

Personally, I can't do the 1000-page-per-volume fantasy epics anymore.

At the moment I'm reading:

Jorge Luis Borges - Labyrinths (awesome - I love re-reading this)
Iain M. Banks - Matter (this one is a slog. It'll be a miracle if I get half way through)
plus general edumacational reading of my own and also the course texts for my students.

The Divine Comedy.

Awesome. If you're into poetic epics, try Milton's Paradise Lost (if you haven't already). Really, really great stuff.

Unbreakable Will
02-27-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm glad someone else has heard of the Malazan series besides my uncle and older stepbrother. I'll be reading and laugh or exclaim surprise at something amazing like the release of the Deragoth upon Poliel and won't even be able to talk about it because no one reads it. It's quite frustrating.

Kirobaito
02-27-2011, 08:44 PM
The Divine Comedy.

Awesome. If you're into poetic epics, try Milton's Paradise Lost (if you haven't already). Really, really great stuff.
Divine Comedy is 10x better than Paradise Lost. It's difficult to get past the blatant misogyny in PL.

Boney King
02-27-2011, 10:57 PM

I've had that book for a couple years but I never finished it. Super interesting but I didn't have a lot of retaining power back when I first picked it up. I really must give it another go.

The Divine Comedy.

One of my favourite books. Historical context is really important to it though, so I hope you have a nice edition of it with good footnotes.

Flying Arrow
02-28-2011, 03:35 AM
The Divine Comedy.

Divine Comedy is 10x better than Paradise Lost. It's difficult to get past the blatant misogyny in PL.

"Better" how? By which criteria? The "misogyny" is a fair wrinkle for some readers - if indeed one reads it as misogyny - but I don't think one should let it stand in the way of appreciating Milton's artistry. Then again, I'm probably the wrong person to be discussing issues like this, having never been discriminated against in any way, shape, or form ever in my life.