PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy and American Dad

Rianoa
02-27-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't know if there had already been a thread like this so I thought I would make my own.
Basically which is your favorite out of the two and why.

Mine has to be American Dad, Family Guy doesn't seem that funny anymore.

So which do you prefer ?

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't like either, but I watch them all the time because they're always on when nothing else is on. That's how AS boosts ratings on a show. They play them for long blocks of time when nothing at all is on :|

Remon
02-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Family guy. They can't even compare. Laughing with American dad was certainly hard for me. It was a giggle at best. Family guy was hilarious xD.

Rase
02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Never found American Dad funny, haven't found Family Guy funny in about two years.

Boney King
02-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Family Guy started off pretty great and has been declining in quality ever since they un-canceled it. American Dad started off mediocre and is slowly getting better.

Raistlin
02-28-2011, 03:54 AM
I haven't seen much American Dad, as Family Guy is absolutely terrible and so I have no higher expectations for it.

Yar
02-28-2011, 03:56 AM
People need to stop giving Seth MacFarlane shows they're all the same.

Agent Proto
02-28-2011, 03:57 AM
What about The Cleveland Show? :p

Boney King
02-28-2011, 07:39 AM

It's terrible.

Rostum
02-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I stopped liking Family Guy quite a few years ago, and I never liked American Dad. The writers are a bunch of egotistical buttholes anyway.

G13
02-28-2011, 09:16 AM

It's terrible.

It really is. :/

I don't like Family Guy anymore. The new Star Wars parody was awful. It even said in the opening crawl and in various points throughout the movie that it was awful. That's not funny it just makes me think even less of it, that they can recognize they made a shot movie and did nothing to fix it other than make fun of themselves.

And I've never like American Dad. It's a carbon copy of FG, same with the Cleveland Show. All three of them are just stupid shows.

Agent Proto
02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
All three shows are pretty much the same thing.

Family Guy | Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/funny-316-family-guy/)

Loony BoB
02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I like to watch both of them, probably about on par with each other. Perhaps American Dad is just ahead. Although the alien annoys me. It's the voice, urgh.

I'm clearly more easily amused than other people at these forums. :D

EDIT: Actually, I have to say that Family Guy's jokes are better when they get them done right. I always enjoy the German tourist guide.

Unbreakable Will
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I haven't actually enjoyed Family Guy for the past two seasons, American Dad was terrible to begin with but has slowly impressed me. I watch it whenever my dvr records an episode i haven't seen.
The Cleveland Show is fucking horrible. :barf:

Shlup
02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
American Dad took a while to grow on me, but now I like it much better. Pretty much any Francine-heavy episode is gold. Family Guy is still okay. I even like The Cleveland Show sometimes, but I like American Dad much better out of the three.

Loony BoB
03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Pretty much any Francine-heavy episode is gold.
Damn straight. It's a nice change to have a mum that's pretty much a whore (or at least was one) with attitude and whatnot rather than the same old same old nicey-nicey mums in almost every other cartoon out there (see: Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, etc).

Still yet to see the dad shake the cliché of idiot father, but then, I'm not sure if it would really work out.

ShunNakamura
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I didn't like American Dad at first, but it has grown on me over time. Family Guy I used to enjoy but it seems kinda meh lately. However, with any of these I can't just sit and watch them. They make excellent background 'noise'/'humour' while I am doing something else. Like reading a book. Or playing a game on the computer.

DMKA
03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Back when I was a stupid high school kid I found Family Guy HILARRRRIIIOOOUUUSSS! But now that I'm all grown up I can't stand it. All it is is "RANDOM CULTURAL/MOVIE/INTERNET MEME/CELEBRITY REFERENCE != COMEDY!!!!!" It's like watching one of those "MOVIE" movies in animated tv series form. I haven't watched since the fourth season I think (right after it came back from being cancelled) but I've seen bits and pieces here and there.

American Dad is just flat out boring. It's Family Guy with more political "commentary" and less non-sequiters.

And The Cleveland Show...let's just not even talk about it.

I have to give Seth McFarlane kudos though. He found a formula to money making that can't really be beaten. Zero budget animation and zero budget writing with maximum return. He's giving Japan's animation industry a run for it's money!

The real shame is that there's actually people with plenty of talent working on these shows, and I feel like it's being wasted in favor of an easy paycheck. Not that I can blame any of them.

Shlup
03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Damn straight. It's a nice change to have a mum that's pretty much a whore (or at least was one) with attitude and whatnot rather than the same old same old nicey-nicey mums in almost every other cartoon out there (see: Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, etc).

Still yet to see the dad shake the cliché of idiot father, but then, I'm not sure if it would really work out.

That's one of the best parts about Francine-heavy episodes: when Francine is being a moron, Stan isn't usually a dumb-dad. They can both be dumb.

Also one of the reasons I love Modern Family so much.

DMKA
03-01-2011, 08:25 PM

That's one of the best parts about Francine-heavy episodes: when Francine is being a moron, Stan isn't usually a dumb-dad. They can both be dumb.

Also one of the reasons I love Modern Family so much.

Modern Family just amuses the hell out of me because every time I see Ed O'Neill I still can't seperate him in my mind from Al Bundy. :<3:

Raistlin
03-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Modern Family is actually fairly entertaining. And not remotely as retarded as the shows in this thread (at least from the bit I watched with my step-sister who received the first season as a Christmas gift).

sharkythesharkdogg
03-02-2011, 04:04 AM
I don't really like and of the MacFarlane shows, but having tried a few of the earlier American Dads and recently seeing two of the newer ones, they did seem to be funnier now. Maybe they've hit their stride.

I'll see what other people think. To me South Park has gotten become better, and more well written over the years. Each season has at least 3 episodes that make me laugh out loud pretty hard. That's saying something after being on air 13 seasons or however long it is.

Mercen-X
03-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Shows created by Matt Groening, Seth MacFarlane, or Seth Green... I always watch...
Well, don't watch Robot Chicken ever since lost Comedy Central but have a DVD of a STAR WARS-related episode.
I liked Beavis and Butthead as a kid, but now whenever I hear reference to them, I get angry that they ever existed. That's how much I despise them now. Don't ask how it happened. I don't know.

Heath
03-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Family Guy is something I watch as a guilty pleasure. I know it's not brilliant (and I'd say pretty poor if you compare it to, say, The Simpsons when that was good), but it's entertaining. I don't think it pretends to be anything more than it is really and just goes for rather silly and sometimes quite crass jokes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on I'll watch it.

American Dad I watched a few episodes of but couldn't get into it. Don't know why really. As BoB said, the alien's voice is very annoying.