PDA

View Full Version : Jahbs

G13
03-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Right now I'm applying online for an assload of jobs. I'm hoping I get the one at Lowe's, guaranteed 40 hours a week.

This got me wondering, what do you do EoFF? How'd you get the job? Are you doing what you always thought you'd do?

*rests chin on fist* Go.

Unbreakable Will
03-01-2011, 12:30 AM
I just got an interview for tomorrow at this phone company that also gives no less than 40 hrs a week. Tis wonderful.
Oh, and as of now I'm unemployed :mad:

G13
03-01-2011, 12:31 AM
What happened to that country club gig?

Unbreakable Will
03-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Little to no business, cuts were made and since I'd only been there for 5 or 6 months I was cut second, thankfully I wasn't the first... that title belonged to the club junkie. hahaha

escobert
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I work in construction. I'm a carpenter! I got the job by applying to it. It's not what I always wanted to do or expected to do but, it puts money in my pocket and I enjoy the work. I just wish it would warm up outside!

Shoeberto
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm a programmer.

I got my job because I was a programmer for another team in the company and they spoke highly of me when my current team was hiring.

I got the first job as a programmer for reasons beyond me. The only credentials I had was a mentoring position and some good grades in sophomore-level classes.

I love my current team. I love my old team, too. They're all great people and I'm very fortunate to have the position I do with the people I work with.

Is it what I always imagined doing? Not really. But people say if you start out in your dream job, it gives you nothing to strive for. Sometimes my work is mundane but there's enough interesting and downright fun projects that I stay on my toes. It's also great to have coworkers that are not only easy to work with, but who are great and supportive people that I consider to be friends. I'm also paid way more than any part-time college student deserves.

It might seem like I'm bragging, but I'm really proud of it. I worked very hard to get where I am.

fire_of_avalon
03-01-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm in Human Resources. Which means I'm really good at getting blamed for stuff.

Jiro
03-01-2011, 01:37 AM
As of now, the only job I'm getting any work in is my position as a Student Ambassador. I tell people why they should go to my uni and get paid well for it. I got it because they called me and asked me to apply. Nifty, huh?

Rantz
03-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm a system developer by official title, which in practice (in this case) means I do a combination of design and programming. Which is kind of what I like to do, although I'd like to focus more on design and less on programming in future jobs. As far as jobs go though, I like my job well enough. It's decent and pays decently, though I'd like a little more challenge.

I didn't have to apply for a whole lot of positions to land my job. Instead I spent time on making my CV professional and nice looking, and modified it for every position I applied for. Not as in lying to fit the position, but as in shifting focus onto the factors that were relevant for each.

Clo
03-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I hope to be a teacher soon, but until college is finito, I have been working as a writing tutor and at a deli. I also occasionally work as an aide for BOCES.

I received all these jobs by... applying? Though I'm a writing tutor because I knew somebody who got me in.

Levian
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I work as a Receptionist at a Hotel. I got the job by applying for it, and then pressuring the employer to give me a quicker answer because I needed to know before a certain date, as whether I got the job or not would influence where I would be living. I would've gotten the answer after twenty days, but I got it in ten. And now I'm receptionist, whoo! My contract is up in June though. I can extend it, but I think I might be applying for a job where I can get more shifts than I do here.

Rye
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I work as a trouble shooter at an office. I got the job through a friend a few years ago and I've not changed it since, even though I ought to because I am underpaid.

I also sell stuff online which sometimes leads to profit.

kotora
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
No job atm, but I'll look into it this week. I was a mailman until a month ago. It wasn't very profitable considering the opportunity costs. It's no big deal if I don't get a job now because I'm on a student loan which I'll easily repay as soon as I graduate and get a job in the military or whatever. I'm certainly not gonna work for any less than 6 euro per hour.

Jojee
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm a server at two bars/restaurants right now and finishing up law school~ :3

Psychotic
03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I am a money advisor and I got my job through spending a long time volunteering with the organisation. I never had any idea I would do this. The funding for the future of it is still up in the air, and I think I'll be out of a job this time next month. But it's been a damned good experience and I am a much more capable person than I was before. Easy come, easy go! :monster:

Loony BoB
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm in IT. My job has varied a lot since I joined the company, but basically I do a bit of everything from light engineer work, projects, reporting, a lot of logistics, a lot of admin, and if there's something else they want me to do then I may do it. I don't get bored often. :)

Mum worked for a temp agency, so I signed up for that one first and before I applied to others, I already had a job interview lined up (possibly thanks to my Mum being in the temp agency :p). First interview, I got the job. Started working for a very small amount, within four months my wages went up by 40% when they realised that not every 18 year old who never went to university is hopeless. Which was nice. A few months after that, the contract my company had with the client that I was working for expired, so they offered me a full time / permanent position elsewhere. I almost got made redundant six or so years later, and at that point a manager I did reporting for snapped me up immediately.

I've had more successful job interviews than I've had jobs. I guess I just come across pretty well or something. Someday I intend on moving up though... hopefully at some point this year I'll sit the Prince II course and then later I'll learn to drive. At that point I'll be qualified for the next Projects job that comes up in our company, and they tend to pay a bit better. If not, oh well, there's always the option of moving back to NZ.

Wow, I went off on a tangent, huh?

Am I doing what I always wanted to do? I don't know. I never had one job I always wanted to do. As a kid through to my teens it would vary from architect, the video game industry, the IT industry, motorcycle racer, engineer... as for what I want to be at the moment, it would probably be something like an IT Project Manager. If I could do anything, it would be coming up with ideas and direction for JRPGs and MMOs for a major game developer. This is not something that is ever going to happen because of the amount of sacrifice I would need to make for this to happen, and the lack of skills I have. But if I was a billionaire and could invest in my ideas, I would definitely out-pay all the other bigwigs out there and ensure my ideas for an Aiyon MMO became reality. :p

Bunny
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Jobless student. I got the position by being lazy and not applying myself. So far, I'm enjoying it although I'm a little underpaid.

Raistlin
03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I am a full-time law student, but I work as a research assistant for a professor and part-time during the season as a high school basketball official.

I received the RA job -- which isn't really a "job," but close enough -- as part of my scholarship. I help my professor out with a project (in my case, a habeas corpus petition for a criminal conviction) and receive a regular stipend in return. It's not much, but it does cover rent.

The basketball gig I got just from signing up, going through training, and doing well enough that I get as many assignments as I can handle.

This summer I hope to work for a civil law firm as a paid legal intern.

Miriel
03-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I work as a photographer. I've always done photography as a hobby and I started learning how to develop and shoot film since the 4th grade. Was doing my own thing and found that people would actually pay me to take pictures. Now I do it full time! It's fantastic to be in a creative field and it can be so rewarding sometimes, but being a small business owner is incredibly stressful too. Sometimes I envy people who have a standard 9-5 job. There is almost never a long period of time when I'm not thinking about my business, the finances, clients, answering emails at 1 in the morning, etc. It's on my mind ALL the time. It think there's very little distinction between my work life and my non-work life. Even in my "off" hours, I'm still reading about industry news, looking at blogs of other photographers, keeping up with what Canon is doing, figuring out how to budget for new lenses, and even just browsing fun sites like Photojojo. Even when watching movies I'm paying a lot of attention to the cinematography, the lighting, getting inspiration. It consumes my life.

Eventually I will move towards opening up my own restaurants, but that's all in the future.

Peegee
03-01-2011, 06:57 PM
When my friend was asking us if we knew any photographers, I thought of you (Miriel) but realized you lived in San Fran and the travel cost would make your expenses not competitive enough.

It would've been awesome otherwise :(

@Raistlin - does being a research assistant just mean you run around looking up court cases to support the rambling rantings of the lawyer you are trying to help?

Raistlin
03-01-2011, 07:04 PM
@Raistlin - does being a research assistant just mean you run around looking up court cases to support the rambling rantings of the lawyer you are trying to help?

No. I did a lot of working writing up and editing our draft of the brief in support of the petition in state court. I'm currently working on how to frame our arguments for the presumably inevitable federal claim.

Shiny
03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm a college student and I work at a film festival. I'm also interning at a distribution and producing company partnered with Magnolia Pictures. I recently applied to HBO's internship for the summer, and if that falls through there's also NBC, CNN, Viacom, Comedy Central, and The Onion News. :monster:

EDIT: I knew I'd always be doing something in the film industry, I just didn't know what it would be, and still don't. Time will tell. I hope to do a multitude of things like I'm doing now though.

Peegee
03-01-2011, 07:22 PM

No. I did a lot of working writing up and editing our draft of the brief in support of the petition in state court. I'm currently working on how to frame our arguments for the presumably inevitable federal claim.

That's far more interesting. :Dhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/images_eoffclassic/icons/icon14.gif

Freya
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I work at a convenient store, I work as a waitress, I work in a nursery at a church, and I work at gamestop.

Am I doing what I wanted? No. I applied at a lot of places here but I couldn't seem to land a full time job. So I strung enough part-time jobs to equal out to a :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty paying full-time job. I'm no where near what I wanted to do with my life but that's my situation right now and i'm working to change it.

The waitress job was because it was my "neighbor". Then she got me the nursery gig then I applied at the store and gamestop. I'm sure my being female landed me the gamestop job.

Yar
03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I am an intern. I got the job because the roommate I live with who is trying to kill me also works at this company. It's a Japanese company and I'm a Japanese major. It makes sense.

I don't want to quit.

Unbreakable Will
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
My job interview went fantastic today, they want to see me tomorrow morning for a final interview to speak with the other manager :bigsmile:

Shlup
03-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm a substitute teacher. You don't have to interview for it; you just have to meet the qualifications. So far I haven't worked very much, but that's fine. I want to be a stay-at-home mom but a certain someone isn't yet willing to help me with that.

Jessweeee♪
03-02-2011, 02:50 AM
I don't have a job. I suspect it's because I've never once had one, and I never talked to my teachers/professors more than what was necessary, and was an overall mediocre student, so I don't have any references outside of friends and family. I'm thinking of doing volunteer work just so someone can say that I do stuff.

Iceglow
03-02-2011, 03:20 AM
Currently I am an Games Assistant Full Time at His Masters Voice's flagship store. I got the job through applying to be a FT audio assistant but got turned down. However my experience within my previous role with similar products and the fact that I was according to the audio manager of the time Tracy, the second on the list for possible job candidates at the end of the interviews meant I got referred to another department where I got accepted straight away before even re-interviewing. I ended up working with blank media, books & toys/merchandise/clothing for 2 years. I then got moved to the games department due to my experience and knowledge of the product and ability to sell the consoles and additional "value" products with them well. After 4 months or so they decided to move me from Games because they felt the team didn't work, instead of realizing the problem wasn't the staff it was the supervisor. I got moved to Specs audio department, selling country, rock n roll, jazz, blues, folk, new age, easy listening and world music. I knew very little down there and came close to quitting my job because I was unhappy with it. Eventually however thanks to a good relationship with the supervisor, I got moved to audio campaign on the rock and pop department, this allowed me to get stuck in to music I was more familiar with and actually enjoyed and got me back to being happy working with the company and I realized though I had hated it at the time I had learnt a lot and broadened my tastes and abilities through the stay in the Specs team. I ended up getting moved back to the games department at the end of summer last year because I had proven in a couple of "loan shifts" to the games team and the new manager there that I was pretty much the best salesman he could get for the products and services he had to sell as much as possible. Right now I kinda like my job a lot, the company is going through a rough patch and the uncertainty isn't pleasant but I know I'm safe enough in the flagship store. I also like the fact that I am our main "demonstrator" when it comes to new hardware. Over Christmas this meant I had to demonstrate the Microsoft Kinect Sensor a lot of my time on shop floor was spent either on this or on a till and currently my entire day revolves around me playing on the Nintendo 3DS a full month before it gets released, I have been doing so for 2 weeks already (prior to Japan got the console and even prior to companies like IGN UK getting their hands on the console) and whilst I am frankly getting rather bored of the AR card games and Face Raiders and of repeating myself (there's so much less I can talk about than with Kinect because I don't have any of the 3DS games to play/demo to customers) I wouldn't change the opportunity I have been given here for much less than the opportunity to do this kind of stuff full time permanently as a job.

escobert
03-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Come on now you were already out done by BoB earlier. You've got to try harder! WE NEED MORE
Although, that one solid paragraph does give you some extra points!

Laddy
03-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Professional gay. I gay.

Jiro
03-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I imagine the job satisfaction would be good, if the pay low.

Jessweeee♪
03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Professional gay. I gay.

You've turned your sexual preference into a profession? Isn't that illegal D:

Laddy
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
It is.

kotora
03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Isn't being gay illegal in most of the US in the first place?

Laddy
03-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Might as well be.

Jessweeee♪
03-03-2011, 06:01 AM
I have a question about those pre-assessment questionnaire things that you have to fill out if you apply for any job ever that could possibly involve working with customers. Do those things like...give you a score, or just a Pass/Fail. Like, should I be totally exaggerating, or is it okay to admit that I sometimes got Cs on my report cards?

Bunny
03-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Employers assume applicants lie or exaggerate the truth on those things anyway. They're a crock of :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Jessweeee♪
03-03-2011, 06:56 AM
After some googling most of what I've read suggests that managers receive a "good/okay/bad" sort of score, and can potentially get fired for hiring applicants that don't do so well, but that it's still best to answer honestly because that tends to work out best.

But I think I will exaggerate a bit more from now on, because in all of the months I've been sending in applications and speaking to people inside the store, I haven't been called in for a single job interview. The only interviews I've had are from some creepy guy that left an ad in the paper about Web Design, and when the new Olive Garden was interviewing literally ever single person that showed up at their doors with a job application. Oh god there were so many people there that day.

fire_of_avalon
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I have a question about those pre-assessment questionnaire things that you have to fill out if you apply for any job ever that could possibly involve working with customers. Do those things like...give you a score, or just a Pass/Fail. Like, should I be totally exaggerating, or is it okay to admit that I sometimes got Cs on my report cards?

Employers assume applicants lie or exaggerate the truth on those things anyway. They're a crock of :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Yes and no. Mostly what they do is determine whether a person is going to obey the rules and whether they're going to be obstinate with customers. The best thing to do when taking them is think like the employer - they know no one is perfect, but some people are more perfect than others. Don't ever say it's okay to steal, EVER, but you can probably admit to some bad grades. Don't ever say you cheated on an exam. Always say you'd rat someone out for breaking policy, etc.

Peegee
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
I personally believe any hiring process that involves answering a questionnaire is a waste of your time at worse and dubious at best.

This is very related

http://i52.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2qbsz8m.jpg

GhandiOwnsYou
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm currently a soldier. I got this job by spending the year after high school drinking and working a low paying stock clerk job instead of drinking and going to college. Eventually I realized I had to actually do something with my life, but having no marketable job skills besides knowing how to operate an order gun, excelling at fixing the cardboard baler, and memorizing the entire caned vegetable aisle, I decided to stop smoking marijuana long enough to pass a military entrance drug screening.

Ironically, now all of my friends are struggling to pay off their student loans, while I have had the government pay me to become qualified to work in aircraft maintenance, and live quite well fixing Apache Longbows in TN.

Go low expectations.

Peegee
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm currently a soldier. I got this job by spending the year after high school drinking and working a low paying stock clerk job instead of drinking and going to college. Eventually I realized I had to actually do something with my life, but having no marketable job skills besides knowing how to operate an order gun, excelling at fixing the cardboard baler, and memorizing the entire caned vegetable aisle, I decided to stop smoking marijuana long enough to pass a military entrance drug screening.

Ironically, now all of my friends are struggling to pay off their student loans, while I have had the government pay me to become qualified to work in aircraft maintenance, and live quite well fixing Apache Longbows in TN.

Go low expectations.

How much of the military selection process can you publicly admit? I'd like to know how you went from a high school grad to being trained to repair helicopters.