PDA

View Full Version : Favorite version

Del Murder
03-01-2011, 02:59 AM
So many versions of this game! Is there any other game that has been released for more platforms? Probably puzzle games like Tetris, huh. But no RPGs that I can think of.

So which version is your favorite? I haven't played them all, but I'm partial to the one from FF Origins for PS1. It has updated graphics and music and touched up the gameplay a bit but didn't mess with it too much like the GBA version did.

If there are any notable versions that aren't in the poll let me know and I'll add them.

Jiro
03-01-2011, 03:17 AM
The only version I have played is the Dawn of Souls version (gasp!) which I understand isn't fantastic but it still allowed me to get back to the roots. WonderSwan Color just sounds like it'd be awesome though.

theundeadhero
03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
NES!
I'm vintage all the way.

Yeargdribble
03-05-2011, 06:00 AM
PSP seems the obvious choice. Beautiful and comprehensive. Mind you I own (as in still own) every version sans the WSC and mobile versions.

Loony BoB
03-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Whatever PSP version I just downloaded the other day and began playing yesterday. :D It's great compared to the old emulated version I played a long time ago. Although it does seem slightly easier, not sure if that's actually the case or not. :p

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Origins is the one I beat it on and I do love it for the fact its better on the eyes, but I also love the original NES version as well. Its a toss up between those two versions.

Levian
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
GBA versions is the best one I played, but I haven't played PSP so who knows if I'd like it better. My best guess is yes. :mog:

Heath
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
GBA versions is the best one I played, but I haven't played PSP so who knows if I'd like it better. My best guess is yes. :mog:

Same for me. I've played the original NES one, but I'm just so much of a young upstart that I preferred the GBA for sheer ease of play.

KainHighwind
03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
I recently played the iPod touch version, and was shocked at how much easier they'd made it. I don't recall if this was the case in other remakes, but my characters started the game with weapons and armor equipped! Then, it occurred to me that all the remakes have gotten progressively easier and sort of watered-down feeling. Being able to save your game anywhere at any time - while I understand the practical reason for it in the handheld versions - sucks a lot of the challenge factor out. Origins is perhaps the only one that retains even a fraction of the original difficulty. At least that version retained the original, more challenging MP system.

I voted for the 8-bit version, hands down. I really do like Origins too, though.

Edit: I will give the PSP version 1 point for returning the Ninja to his proper color (maroon). It's a shame they didn't do the same for the Thief. I have always hated the green Thief/Ninja.

Garland
03-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Edit: I will give the PSP version 1 point for returning the Ninja to his proper color (maroon). It's a shame they didn't do the same for the Thief. I have always hated the green Thief/Ninja.

You know, I think about this a lot more than anyone should, and I came to the conclusion that the thief/ninja needs to be blue like Black Belt and Black Mage for balance issues. After all, you've got three classes that comprise the red/white team - Warrior, Red Mage and White Mage. Then you get Black Belt, Black Mage and Ninja and you think, naturally, the ninja will be dark blue. Red? Green?

Back on topic, the perfect FF1 would be NES, but with the bugs corrected. The only FF1 that rivals it for me is the iPhone port, because the best FF1 is the one you've got on you when you want to play.

KainHighwind
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Well, the Thief did originally have blue hair, after all.

ReloadPsi
04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
The PSX version, simply because I can actually own it where I live and, on Normal mode, it's supposedly identical to the NES version in terms of balance and difficulty... you can even turn off the auto-target, and that Quicksave IS entirely optional.

Mcallums
06-27-2011, 06:14 AM
I want you to tell your Favorite Final Fantasy on several levels, and why.
Which Final Fantasy had your Favorite Music?
Which Final Fantasy had your Favorite Characters Overall?
Which Final Fantasy had your Favorite Character, and who is it?
Halloween Scavenger Hunt (http://www.treasurehuntclues.org/halloween-treasure-hunt.html)

VeloZer0
06-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the bump spam bot, I hadn't replied to this thread yet.

I find it hard to answer this question. I find the sprites of the original have a huge amount of charm for me, but that version is just so clunky for me to play compared to FF: Origins. Then there is FF:DoS, which thanks to balancing changes (like making half of the classes not useless) is a much better game, but making it significantly easier also ruins the experience for me.

I'll go with FF:Origins. It is the version I first beat it on, and the one that I have loged the most play time with.

black orb
06-28-2011, 04:26 AM
>>> NES..:luca:

nectarsis
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Visuals from 20th Anniversary with the difficulty from the Original NES would be choice.