PDA

View Full Version : Magitech

Wolf Kanno
03-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Magitech is probably one of the main things that made me really love VI, it's a shame it doesn't get the proper spotlight at times and gets overshadowed in the franchise by SOLDIER and SeeD.

Hell, I feel one of the biggest crimes in VI was that you only had three opportunities to Magitech Armor. Anyone else feel like VI may have dropped the ball by not giving a few more minor details?

Jiro
03-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Magitech soldiers are just kind of lame in game. They're a pushover. It would have been good to fight a team of strong MagiKnights, or even battle Kefka in them once. But yeah, I think Magitech armour was definitely undersold.

blackmage_nuke
03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
It would have been nice to see magitech manifest itself in other technologies instead of just the armour but then we'd be moving in on VII territory with mako.

I dont feel we needed any more opportunities to play with magitech armour but i would have liked if the tek misile became one of edgars higher level tools.

Depression Moon
03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Gameplay wise I didn't see anything unique with them. From what I remember it just had the basic black magic elemental attacks except they were called beams instead right?

Sephiroth
03-04-2011, 10:12 PM
It would have been nice to see magitech manifest itself in other technologies

Well, we don't really see it in other technology but at least Celes and Kefka were influenced by Magitech experiments.

Gameplay wise I didn't see anything unique with them. From what I remember it just had the basic black magic elemental attacks except they were called beams instead right?

Indeed. But Terra had more moves. One of them is the "X-Fer" which is nothing but similiar to the "X-Zone" magic. The cooler thing is that "X-Fer"'s name is "Death Star" in the japanese version. Biggs/Vicks, Wedge, Death Star which automatically annihilates/erases an enemy, huh? Huh?

Wolf Kanno
03-04-2011, 11:07 PM
It would have been nice to see magitech manifest itself in other technologies instead of just the armour but then we'd be moving in on VII territory with mako.

Actually its used in a lot of things in VI. As Sephiroth pointed out, the Magitech Soldiers themselves are genetic engineering, as well as a good chunk of monsters you face in the Magitech Research Lab. Just about every high tech machine the empire uses is Magitech technology as well.

Magitech soldiers are just kind of lame in game. They're a pushover. It would have been good to fight a team of strong MagiKnights, or even battle Kefka in them once. But yeah, I think Magitech armour was definitely undersold.

They are not really that weak, at least when you finally get to face the real ones at Vector. They have a much higher defense than usual and lost their weakness to Poison. Only magic based skills, high damage attacks, or magic can take them out quickly. Hell, you have to rely heavily on the Figaro Bros. until you acquire the Magitech weapons like the Flameberge, Thunderblade, and other elemental swords, to deal with them without much effort.

Of anything, their really no different from the nameless SOLDIERs you fight in VII, who are actually pretty weak when you face them, and are basically just meatier mooks.

Except if you use Terra and Celes with them there are some amusing quirks with the armor. Besides Terra getting more abilities, both of them seem to get damage bonuses to the beams associated with their elements, I find that Terra does more damage with Fire Beam than the other characters (it also doesn't help that most creatures in the Magitech Armor sections are also weak to it) and Celes, likewise, does more damage with Ice Beam than other characters. Mage characters do better with the armor as usual but that's not surprising.

Del Murder
03-06-2011, 06:23 AM
I thought the armor was cool. It would have been fun to have more battles in the armor.