PDA

View Full Version : PocketStation

Wolf Kanno
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Anyone else feel that this is one of the most forgotten elements in VIII and also feels pretty screwed over cause Square never released it here?

I mean it actually gave you some unique items including the Moomba and Moogle summons as well as upgrades for the Chocobo summon. Damn you Square :colbert:

kotora
03-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Played it on the PC port. It was pretty retarded.

G13
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I would have preferred that the PocketStation content be taken out entirely. It's kind of annoying that there's something in a game I own that's impossible for me to access.

It's like the FFIX strategy guide, there's just no point in it existing.

Depression Moon
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
There's a Chocobo summon?

ZeroFusion
03-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Played it on the PC port. It was pretty retarded.
If you ask me, it felt like a PC version of Tamagotchi. But at that time, my PC run FF8 in such a sluggish way that I desperately went with the Chocobo minigame until I got better rig.

Roogle
03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I used a Gameshark to access all of the items that were denied to me because of the PocketStation. It irritates me that localization, at the time, did very little to bridge the gap between the Japanese market and the North American market. For example, a small scenario added to the game or hidden items could easily have been added to the North American version of the game to make up for the inaccessible items from PocketStation.

Notably, SaGa Frontier II was a game that used the PocketStation to access unique items, too.

BG-57
03-01-2011, 09:08 PM
The Suikoden series handled bonus content much better. The endgame save of each game can be accessed by the next sequel to gain bonus characters or items (I -> II, II-> III, IV -> Tactics). That's a nice reward for playing each game through in order.

Here it's just rubbing salt in the wound.

Wolf Kanno
03-02-2011, 03:48 AM
There's a Chocobo summon?

The Gyshal Greens item summons a Chocobo, just like the Phoenix Pinion summons Phoenix.

With the pocketstation, by raising Boko's level the summon for the Chocobo would change to be more powerful. The game also gave you accessed to the summon item for Moomba and Mini-Mog.

Jessweeee♪
03-02-2011, 04:44 AM
I've been wanting to try it on PC, but I haven't been able to find any good torrents.

Don't you try making me feel like a jerk for not buying the game a third time. Even if I did, Square wouldn't see a dime of it as it'd likely just be a used copy :colbert:

MJN SEIFER
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
I would have love it if the Pocketstation had come out outside Japan, espeically after reading about it so many times, in PLAY. I can't even remember what other games were supposed to use it, other than one of the ten gillion "Street Fighter" games having a kind of training game to download a chosen character, and re-upload him/her as a badass. I would have really loved to have been able to use it with Final Fantasy VIII, because without it Chocobos are virtually useless! They can't cross water, or anything, and barely get you anywhere important.

Thanks to my Xplode, I was able to get Mini Mog without the Pocketstation, but it's bugged - whenever I select it an error message appears saying "Mini Mog is not here!!!"

Jessweeee♪
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I would have love it if the Pocketstation had come out outside Japan, espeically after reading about it so many times, in PLAY. I can't even remember what other games were supposed to use it, other than one of the ten gillion "Street Fighter" games having a kind of training game to download a chosen character, and re-upload him/her as a badass. I would have really loved to have been able to use it with Final Fantasy VIII, because without it Chocobos are virtually useless! They can't cross water, or anything, and barely get you anywhere important.

Thanks to my Xplode, I was able to get Mini Mog without the Pocketstation, but it's bugged - whenever I select it an error message appears saying "Mini Mog is not here!!!"

Yeah, I only ever used them the one time when you need them to get the Ragnarok back xD

Del Murder
03-03-2011, 03:59 AM
I played it in the PC version. It was cute but got old quickly. It was cool to get items from it though!

Roogle
03-04-2011, 06:49 PM
The Suikoden series handled bonus content much better. The endgame save of each game can be accessed by the next sequel to gain bonus characters or items (I -> II, II-> III, IV -> Tactics). That's a nice reward for playing each game through in order.

Here it's just rubbing salt in the wound.

Do you get any bonus content for having previous saves of any of the earlier games for Suikoden V?

drotato
03-04-2011, 11:42 PM
It just made me angry because I couldn't even use it.
It was like it was just there to taunt me. I wish it hadn't even been put in there. ):<

BG-57
03-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Do you get any bonus content for having previous saves of any of the earlier games for Suikoden V?

Unfortunately, no. Since the timeline in the games is IV -> Tactics -> V -> I -> II -> III, there's no way characters from III could cameo in IV, so that kind of broke the continuity. And I guess not enough people played Tactics to justify carrying over data into V.

The carryover from I to II is recruiting Tir McDohl, who can double combo with the Hero of II to hit every enemy on the screen. Seriously sweet.

II to III is cute but impractical: you get scripts so your theater troupe can portray scenes from I and II. Also the name you chose for your hero and army in II are mentioned in dialogue.

IV to Tactics allows you to recruit Lazlo and Snowe. Snowe is decent, but Lazlo is like T.G. Cid: he wipes the walls with enemies with his Rune of Punishment. Makes the game really easy after you recruit him.

Jiro
03-08-2011, 03:06 AM
I tried using it on the PC version and it was too damn confusing. I didn't need it to win anyway.

Baloki
05-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I actually own one, you could import it and it worked in any region :) Batteries last very little time though...

Roogle
05-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately, no. Since the timeline in the games is IV -> Tactics -> V -> I -> II -> III, there's no way characters from III could cameo in IV, so that kind of broke the continuity. And I guess not enough people played Tactics to justify carrying over data into V.

I see. Suikoden V takes place in the Queendom of Falena, right? There are a handful of characters from that region that were in previous Suikoden games, but I guess the problem lies in the fact that they are no longer continuing the timeline forward, so I expect to see little from the series when it comes to this feature until they decide to move in a constant direction rather than skipping around through the timeline to select points that the writers wish to convey.

BG-57
05-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes it does. I completely agree with your point: unless VI happens soon after V there won't be much in the way of carryover content.

Georg Prime is a central character in V and a rather mysterious peripheral character in II. Killey and Lorelei both show up as well, as do the expected constants like Viki and Jeane. For what it's worth, V is an excellent game and enjoyable to play.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2011, 04:19 AM
When did this become a Suikoden Thread? :confused:

BG-57
05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry, while I was complaining about carryover bonues in FFVIII, I contrasted how the Suikoden series handled carryover bonuses better. I'll take it to PM if anyone wants to continue the Suiko discussion.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Its all good, just make a Suikoden thread or thread on games that take content from one to the other. :D

ReloadPsi
05-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I played the PC version, which emulates Chocobo World. Nothing special, and the rewards are so few and far between that it's barely worth it. It IS nice, though, when you accidentally receive a Dark Matter before the end of disc 2.

Rase
05-12-2011, 10:59 PM
I played it in the PC version. It was cute but got old quickly. It was cool to get items from it though!
Bingo. It was a cute little distraction, probably would have been better if it had been portable and all.

Saber
05-12-2011, 11:25 PM
I tried it out before. You could get it from japan back in the day. I'm not so sure about now. I now have been looking at some of the items you can get and none of them really appeal to me but the summon ones. I did hear that mini-mog can't be summoned with a gameshark?

Polnareff
05-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Blame Sony for us never getting the Pocketstation. I don't remember the exact reason but it was along the lines of "not many games use it so smurf it."

And they were actually right. Not that many games used it. FFVIII did, as well as Pocket Fighter, and a few other games. But not really enough for it to be worthwhile.

Xalibar
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't blame sony for not getting the pocketstation here, I would blame square for putting in the useless gimick to begin with. Just like the playonline thing with ff9. BS like that doesn't appeal here or possibly anywhere but Japan.

Is it true though that you can get a pocket station from ebay and that it would work on the american ps2 slim and can get the items?

Baloki
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
It is true, yes. The pocketstation is not region locked.

Polnareff
06-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't blame sony for not getting the pocketstation here, I would blame square for putting in the useless gimick to begin with. Just like the playonline thing with ff9. BS like that doesn't appeal here or possibly anywhere but Japan.

Is it true though that you can get a pocket station from ebay and that it would work on the american ps2 slim and can get the items?

Thing is, Sony were supposedly aiming on bringing the Pocketstation out here, but decided against it. By this time, FFVIII had already been made and released and had the content left in. Then the Pocketstation didn't come out and everyone was all "smurf Squaresoft! :mad2:"

And yeah it's true.