PDA

View Full Version : Whose your party?

Wolf Kanno
03-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Been awhile since we've had one of these. Who is your final party?

I use Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and Steiner. Though sometimes I drop Dagger for Freya or Quina.

Jiro
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
I used the same four as you. I tried dropping Dagger for Eiko once, but it didn't work that well for me. Another playthrough I subbed Amarant in instead of Steiner, but his damage potential wasn't as high. I would've liked an opportunity to forge two parties, that would have been fun.

Dreddz
03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
My party always varies but the one I like the most would have to be Zidane, Steiner, Garnet and Quina.

Zidane and Steiner for the brute force, Garnet for the healing and Quina to take the piss.

Rantz
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I seldom use the same party through two consecutive playthroughs, but one of my favourite parties is Zidane, Amarant, Freya and Eiko.

Depression Moon
03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I think the first two times I beat the game they were Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Eiko. I tend to change up after that and someday hope I could get every possible combo at the end.

Ouch!
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Zidane, Freya, Steiner, and Quina.

I like the pure rape of maxed out 9,999 damage attacks.

Also, I like the thread title.

Flying Arrow
03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, Steiner. Basically, the main four. When it comes to FF, I usually stick with the characters I like most.

Laddy
03-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Zidane, Freya, Quina, and Vivi is a personal favorite. Zidane, Steiner, Amarant, and Eiko as well as Zidane, Dagger, Freya, Amarant is another favorite.

Hollycat
03-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and Steiner. Everyone else except Eiko is around level 10.

Tuhkasieni
03-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Zidane, Steiner, Vivi and Eiko/Dagger. Steiner is my strongest character, and I like Vivi the most. I dont like zidane lol. And I use Eiko/Dagger as healers, I usually switch them so I can keep them evenly leveled.

Del Murder
03-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Zidane, Quina, Amarant, Eiko. I find this to be the most well balanced party with no real weakness.

Eiko is pretty weak physically, but so is Garnet and you need at least one healer. Eiko's healing spells are a lot better and her summons, though not as varied, are pretty useful.

Quina can easily do max damage with Frog Drop, and he/she has a wide variety of diverse spells with Blue Magic.

I found Amarant's Flair to have very useful skills, and he is a pretty decent attacker.

Zidane is obviously a good attacker plus I love to steal stuff.

Pete for President
03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Just finished the game for the first time. Most of the time I used Zidane, Freya, Eiko and Steiner, but for the final battles I switched Steiner for Vivi. Just had to make his last battle count!

I didn't like Eiko much but I liked Dagger even less, so much for white mages in this game...

Quindiana Jones
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Zidane, Freya, Amarant, Steiner.

I'm like a giant, enigmatic beatstick.

Zidane hits 9999 always for cheap. Freya hits 9999 always for cheap, and can...uh, "heal" MP. Amarant hits 9999 always for cheap and can heal. Steiner occasionally hits 9999 with Shock, but usually just beats down for around 9000.

Things do not survive long enough to require a full-time healer. :D

Rantz
03-08-2011, 05:07 PM
That reminds me. I occasionally like to do that party, and give Amarant the Healer ability. It's pretty sweet :D

Quindiana Jones
03-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I never bothered having him as Healer like that. I bet he heals a tonne though. xD

drotato
03-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Eiko, definitely. P:

Vermachtnis
03-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Zidane, Eiko, Vivi, and Quina

On paper, a thief and two and a half mages sounds like a horrible idea. But they pull it off cause the other half of Quina is Awesome.

tidus123456789
06-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I would stick with Zidane, Vivi, Dagger and Steiner, Purely because it gives me balance! I never really rated Freya, Amarant or Eiko...maybe i should try using them once in a while! x]

Topaz Flare
06-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I think I used Zidane, Vivi, Amarent and Eiko for the first time I beat the game. remember the extra moron after Kuja? I was totally WTF'd

Kyros
06-19-2011, 11:13 PM
The first time was Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Steiner, and my 2nd playthrough was Zidane, Eiko, Amarant, Freya. I liked the 2nd playthrough more since it was more variety than basic main chara + fighter + BM + WM. Pretty much all the characters in this game are overpowered though so there's rarely a hard fight. My 2nd playthrough I slaughtered Ozma at lv40 w/o ever running into any of the friendly creature guys that weaken Ozma so that fight was pretty lackluster imo

Polnareff
06-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Zidane, Freya, Amarant, and one of the mages.

Seriously, with Freya and Amarant in the party you will NEVER run out of MP.

loza
07-31-2011, 04:27 PM
My favourite team is: Vivi, Steiner, Garnet and Freya.

However you only get to use that in late game so I usually use: Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Amarant.

I replace Garnet with Eiko when she is silenced during the story.

Mirage
07-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Zidane, Garnet, Steiner, Freya.

Sometimes one of the DDs is swapped out for quina, usually steiner.

I wish I wasn't forced to have Zidane in my party.

I choose Garnet over Eiko because I'm not into loli.

Vivi is sort of useless late-game, because it's so ridiculously easy to cap damage in this game, and any other character can do 9999 without using as much mp.

And steiner is just ridiculously strong.

Caelheim
08-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I usually go with Zidane, Steiner, Garnet and Freya. The latter three characters interest me the most in the game, though I'd love to be able to swap Zidane out for Vivi to better compliment Steiner. Then again, Steiner is pretty powerful even without Vivi at his side!

Marky Tee
08-20-2011, 09:00 AM
the most badass party possible is zidane, steiner, amarant and freya

all with auto-haste autoe-regen and MP attack abilities equipped
and also any relevant 'killer' abilities

you will just steam roll over anything

CimminyCricket
08-20-2011, 09:05 AM
I used Zidane, Amarant, Steiner and Vivi, however I would switch out Dagger and Eiko, depending on which summon I wanted.

I liked being able to 'power' through enemies. I've always done that in FF games, never really have a support character in the party and just go for the heavy hitters.

Carl the Llama
08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
You guys seriously need to learn the awesomeness that is Quina and how amazingly powerful Frog Drop is, its like... amazing anyways.

My usual 4 are Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Quina... seriously Quina is the best there is in this game when it comes to DD's.

kupopo!
11-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Been awhile since we've had one of these. Who is your final party?

I use Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and Steiner. Though sometimes I drop Dagger for Freya or Quina.

ditto

forgotten_fantasy
11-19-2011, 10:04 PM
First time through I had to go for the classic team. 2nd time I went for Amarant, Eiko, Quina and Zidane. Freya was left out unfortunately.

Meltdown
11-20-2011, 01:37 AM
I always end up ignoring Amarant altogether (didn't he just feel so tacked on to make the numbers up?), but yeah, party wise probably Zidane, Freya, Vivi and Steiner/Garnet (tbh I don't think Freya's too great in battle, but I just love her character development, hence I'm biased to use her).

Arylett Dawnsborough
11-22-2011, 07:34 AM
I am redundant. My party for all these years I've played has been Zidane, Garnet, Eiko, and Vivi. Only recently did I look into Steiner. And Freya sometimes. Never really liked Amarant even if his skills were useful.

>_<
11-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I've mostly been enjoying Zidane, Dagger & Freya as characters, but so far they keep splitting up (Just finished up Fossil Roo and have touched down on the Outer Continent for the first time. Obviously haven't met Eiko and Amarant yet, so cannot comment, but Vivi is not really doing anything for me, Quina is just too out there, and Steiner's constant "Princess, princess!!!" is driving me nuts.

I hope Amarant is a half decent character. That would fill in my four. I'm not bothered about how the play in battle, I just tend to pick the ones with the most pleasing character design and then see how they come across in the dialogue.

Tigmafuzz
12-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Every time I play the game, no matter how much I try to resist, I end up with Zidane, Vivi, Amarant, and Dagger. I think it's because I used that lineup to beat Ozma the first time.
Zidane steals stuff and does pretty decent damage. Vivi casts powerful attack spells, which are always useful. Amarant throws things and does good damage, and can heal MP. Dagger is a healer AND summoner, which is great. And I like her summons a lot more than I like Eiko's. Even though Madeen does come in handy in a couple of later boss battles, I will always have a soft spot for Bahamut and Leviathan. I think I'll name my first child Bahamut.

Benjirino~!
12-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Garnet in my current save, but I have previously used several variants, with the most effective combo I found being the very odd squad of Zidane, Amarant, Freya, and Quina.

PS. I've just noticed my posts have mostly been in old threads. Sorry if digging up old stuff is frowned upon.

Quindiana Jones
12-31-2011, 04:43 PM
It normally is, but you're in the dank, dark realm of the outer forums, where every thread is old and only the boldest and most foolish of moderators go...

Beware...

Beware...

Beware...

Gamblet
01-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I have used all kinds of party combinations during my playthroughs, so there aren't any favourites, I like them all.

Last time I played, it was the traditional Knight, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage combo: Steiner, Zidane, Vivi and Garnet. And it was quite effective.

You just can't go wrong with party combinations in this game.

EDIT: I looked at Benji's post and the Zidane,Amarant,Freya,Quina party was pretty unbeatable when I played with them because of the White Wind, Angel Snack and strong 9999 attacks.

Silent Warrior
01-04-2012, 08:43 AM
It depends on whether I feel adventurous. Zidane is a given, and Steiner is usually in the pack, for great punch! Besides those two, I favour Freya. I struggle to remember who I use as #4, but I probably use Dagger - for healing and status recovery. Amarant is otherwise a good candidate.

If I DO feel adventurous, all bets are off! :radred:

Sum1sGruj
03-07-2012, 01:11 PM
In the few times I've played through FFIX, I've always had Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Amarant as my final party. Once getting things such as auto-regen and auto-life, curative magic becomes somewhat obsolete. These characters are the hard-hitters which makes the battles quicker as well. A good defense is a good offense. Ha, Steiner says it in the game. Quote WIN :)

darkmagus206
03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I always use Zidane, Freya, Eiko and Steiner.

Freya for dragon crest, Eiko because I consider her a much better white mage than Garnet (Holy, Full Life, Phoenix) and Steiner because he is very strong and because of shock. I use Vivi a lot in the storyline but late in the game he's just not that strong anymore. Amarant is very decent too and Quina can be usefull because of frog drop and blue magic.

Quindiana Jones
03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm currently putting some effort in to create a party consisting of Amarant, Vivi, Eiko and Steiner. The primary strategy is for Amarant's Curse to weaken an enemy to a certain element, Eiko's Carbuncle to cast Reflect on the party, Vivi's magic to reflect off the party and cause massive damage to the weakened enemy, and Steiner's Sword Magic to add extreme prejudice and brutality. The main problem is the rarity of chances to use such a party. Bloody Zidane...

Tigmafuzz
03-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I replayed one of my old saves today and it would seem that the best party setup I had was Zidane, Garnet, Quina, Steiner. It was the only way I could beat the friendly Yan, with everyone around level 90.
Try fighting the friendly Yan sometime. It has 65535 HP, and it has a defense/evade/mag. defense/mag. evade of 255 each. Not only does it counter every single attack whether it's physical or magic(provided you can even hit the thing) with the most powerful physical attack in the game, but it is also the only friendly monster that will spontaneously attack if you do not give it what it wants quickly enough - nor will it flee if you attack it. And even if you do somehow manage to kill it, you can encounter it again as many times as you want in order to complete the friendly monsters sidequest. Just save before you fight it. For the love of god, save.

Quindiana Jones
03-09-2012, 11:45 PM
^ I think I'll try my new setup on that and see how it goes. Will take a while to get there though...

Chels
05-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Zidane, Dagger, Steiner, Amarant
-->Zidane for strength and stealing, Dagger for healing/summons, Steiner for straight up brute force, Amarant for CHAKRA

Sometimes I switch up Dagger for Eiko or Amarant for Freya (Dragon Crest yay), so it's not my 100% inflexibly favorite party...but I do so love it. <3

Roogle
05-21-2012, 10:40 PM
I never strayed too far from one of the first parties that the game presents you with: Zidane, Vivi, Garnet, and Steiner.

Sum1sGruj
05-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Zidane, Vivi, Steiner, Amarant

Amarant pays off late game, when white mages become obsolete due to auto-(x).

I actually would've stayed with Garnet had she not lost her voice. After having trumped my party, I was like 'well fuck that' and Garnet stayed on the benches.

ReloadPsi
07-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Given that Zidane is mandatory, my other slots tend to be filled by any of Dagger, Eiko, Steiner, Quina, Freya and Amarant. They all have their merits and I usually rotate all those characters as I go along.

I'm an especially big fan of Dagger once she pulls her head out her ass and can spam summons. Let's face it: the reason she only knows one summon through disc 2 and is all freaked out for half of disc 3 is because she'd be so broken otherwise. Heck, look at the limitations on her White Magic pool. It's more like the spells a Red Mage would be limited to. Again, they had to find ways to keep her from being too powerful :P

Also whenever the party formation is that of a mandatory nature I play this fun little game where I leave Vivi it 0 HP constantly and tell myself that his death in the ending is actually from the neurological complications caused by being knocked unconscious so many times and for so long.

Depression Moon
07-06-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm going to have to play this game again some time this year.

Quindiana Jones
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Also whenever the party formation is that of a mandatory nature I play this fun little game where I leave Vivi it 0 HP constantly and tell myself that his death in the ending is actually from the neurological complications caused by being knocked unconscious so many times and for so long.

You are a very bad person.

ReloadPsi
07-07-2012, 01:13 AM

You are a very pragmatic person.

Fixed.

Quindiana Jones
07-07-2012, 04:11 AM
It's strange how often those two coincide.

ReloadPsi
07-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Point is Vivi sucks just like most black mages do. He's only useful in a couple of the boss fights where he's mandatorily in the party, which without him will only last slightly longer, and his elemental attacks get humiliatingly upstaged by Dagger once she starts learning her better summons... Ramuh, middle of disc 2, is essentially the Thundaga spell for a couple of MP less, always targets all enemies and doesn't need special abilities to pierce Reflect. If memory serves it pierces Shell too, but I could be wrong. I already went on about this sheer brokenness being why she loses her voice for half a disc so I won't repeat that.

Also leaving him KO'd means more EXP for everyone else, because he sure as hell doesn't need it.

Gamblet
07-08-2012, 02:45 PM
You just hate Vivi because he is black. :(

Freya
07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
It makes me sad that once Vivi gets to a point his spells are a bit useless. Everyone else keeps leveling and he's stuck at the same damage. :(

Jiro
07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I keep him in the party for style points though. Black mages are the shit.

Gamblet
07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I keep him in the party for style points though. Black mages are the tit.

Agreeable.

Wolf Kanno
07-12-2012, 01:07 AM
It makes me sad that once Vivi gets to a point his spells are a bit useless. Everyone else keeps leveling and he's stuck at the same damage. :(

Man what game are you people playing, Vivi is actually your best magic damge delear for the entire game. Especially since the new summon system totally screw over Eiko and Garnet for consistent damage. Also with Trance, Vivi is tied with Eiko as highest damage dealer in your party. His Focus ability also overshadows the few stretches of the game where his magic is weak, and that skill stacks until battle is over so actually using it is practical.

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2012, 01:11 AM
At every chance I have, I try to keep the 'original team' of Steiner, Vivi, Garnet, and Zidane. Those four just had so much chemistry. :love:

Jiro
07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I have to agree; it does feel like they are the main party after all!

Wolf Kanno
07-15-2012, 05:59 PM
At every chance I have, I try to keep the 'original team' of Steiner, Vivi, Garnet, and Zidane. Those four just had so much chemistry. :love:

It's also the default team option in Final Fanasy I: Warrior/Knight, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage.

DarkBahamut
07-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Vivi, and Steiner for me are musts. Mainly cuz I love them so much, but they are awesome in battle as well. Don't hate on Vivi.

I'll use Zidane, Vivi, Steiner, and Amarant if I want it to look like an epic sausage-fest battle...which actually doesn't sound that much epic now that I look at it.

Or I'll switch Amarant for Dagger because of her summons and somewhat for the white magic, but also because of the story attachment of the party.

Zidane and Dagger are basically together.
Steiner is Dagger's guardian.
And Vivi is like the best friend.

Gamblet
07-16-2012, 12:04 AM

Vivi is like the "other" guy who got friendzoned.

ReloadPsi
07-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Vivi is like the "other" guy who got friendzoned.

For me he's that guy who tags along that you don't really like but feel sorry for anyway, and later stop talking to when someone cooler comes along.

Freya
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
No, that's not vivi. Vivi is always cool :cool:

DarkBahamut
07-16-2012, 08:08 PM
No, that's not vivi. Vivi is always cool :cool:
Thank you!

(also I'm psyched for our birthdays.)

Zombie
09-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I wish I could play with all these characters, even Blank and Marcus (let's hope Square makes a Final Fantasy IX-2 in the near future), but I used mostly Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and Garnet (in this order, actually, so Zidane helps Vivi by encouraging him, Vivi helps Steiner with his wisdom and Black Magic, and Steiner protects Garnet from monsters and Zidane, of course).

Zidane and Steiner for their physical strenght, Vivi for his deadly Black Magic and Garnet for her gentle (for her allies) White Magic and specially the Summons (the later two for their magical strenght, if you will).

I also used Quina and Freya on occasion. I like Eiko as a chracter, but not to play with her, and Amarant has a strange design (but I played with him sometimes). The ones that can't be missing are Garnet and Steiner, though.

Jinx
09-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I wish I could play with all these characters, even Blank and Marcus (let's hope Square makes a Final Fantasy IX-2 in the near future), but I used mostly Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and Garnet (in this order, actually, so Zidane helps Vivi by encouraging him, Vivi helps Steiner with his wisdom and Black Magic, and Steiner protects Garnet from monsters and Zidane, of course).

Actually, no. Let's not hope for this. I don't want to see my favourite FF be destroyed.

Gamblet
09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Final Fantasy IX-2 does not even sound or look right.

Jinx
09-14-2012, 01:03 PM
The title of this thread has been bothering me for months.