PDA

View Full Version : Tactics Ogre

I Don't Need A Name
03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
So any of you guys bought the remake of Tactics Ogre for PSP? Not played a lot of it myself, but I'm enjoying it. Never played the first game though. Was Ogre Battle even released in the UK for that matter?

Del Murder
03-02-2011, 01:56 AM
I don't think Tactics Ogre is anything like Ogre Battle, but I've played neither.

I have heard this game strongly resembles FF Tactics and was in fact created by the same dude. I must have it.

I Don't Need A Name
03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah. Gameplay is quite similar. I think it's a little bit simpler, and the magic is a little more annoying on it.

Roogle
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is a full remake of the original on the Super Famicom and the Sony Playstation. It uses the graphics, primarily, but the gameplay has been largely overhauled and revamped making it on par with Final Fantasy Tactics, easily. I have been playing the game over the last two weeks since its release and I highly recommend it to any fan of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Bolivar
03-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Ogre Battle = Ogre Battle Saga Episode Five
Tactics Ogre = Episode Seven

The games had radically different gameplay styles, much like Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and FFXII had, but taking place in the same world at different locations and time periods. A lot of legends and locations in Ivalice are borrowed from Ogre Battle. Either Matsuno took these ideas in making his new universe at Square, or the Ivalice games are different episodes in the ogre battle saga, and only he secretly knows this, lol (probably not).

ANYWAY

The game's incredible. Possibly Sakimoto's best music. Possibly Matsuno's best story. The way they utilize the PSP's screen is crazy. It's probably better than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Roogle
03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together definitely stands on par with Final Fantasy Tactics. It makes me wish that Final Fantasy Tactics had gotten this type of treatment, too, rather than a simple port with a handful of extra scenarios.

Bolivar
03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together definitely stands on par with Final Fantasy Tactics. It makes me wish that Final Fantasy Tactics had gotten this type of treatment, too, rather than a simple port with a handful of extra scenarios.

Well I actually think FFT looks a little better, maybe it's the full 3D environments, or maybe it's that TO looks more like FFTAdvance. Also I thought War of the Lions was retranslated as well, like this was? I actually went to a panel with Alexander O. Smith and his localization partner at PAX East the weekend before last, it was awesome. I was nervous when I got to ask them a question, but they wouldn't confirm or deny that more Ogre Battle games are coming!!!

Roogle
03-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Well I actually think FFT looks a little better, maybe it's the full 3D environments, or maybe it's that TO looks more like FFTAdvance. Also I thought War of the Lions was retranslated as well, like this was? I actually went to a panel with Alexander O. Smith and his localization partner at PAX East the weekend before last, it was awesome. I was nervous when I got to ask them a question, but they wouldn't confirm or deny that more Ogre Battle games are coming!!!

Final Fantasy Tactics looks a little better when it comes to the sprites and certain retained animations. I meant that Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is basically just a port of the original game with an updated translation, whereas Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is completely revamped in almost every single way aside from the basic graphics.

Do not be nervous about asking questions like that. You can follow him on Twitter and ask him questions any time: Alexander O. Smith on Twitter (http://twitter.com/aokajiya)

I am a little curious about what he looks like, though. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him at all.

Depression Moon
03-24-2011, 03:19 AM
I wanna play this game too!

Del Murder
03-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Finally started playing this. It's awesome. It's FF Tactics from a parallel dimension. So much is the same and so much is different. I find it really interesting that your experience level is based on the class as a whole rather than individual units.

Roogle
03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I find it really interesting that your experience level is based on the class as a whole rather than individual units.

Yes, this can lead to some problems when you start recruiting characters with unique classes that are forced to start at level 1. At the very least, this new system allows you to experience every single class from level 1 onwards allowing you to watch their growth and come up with ways to use them in battle. Tynemouth Hill is a good place to level up units by themselves. Some characters like Catiua, Vyce, or Sherri can literally take on the entire map by themselves.

Del Murder
03-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Huh, so later in the game you will get classes that still start at level 1? So even advanced classes must be brought up from the start? I can see how that could be problematic. Reminds me of Cloud in FFT.

Roogle
03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Yes, every class starts the game at Level 1. This happened to me today when I recruited a Level 27 Cleric and a Level 27 Terror Knight. I had never had a Terror Knight in the party, and the Terror Knight class remains at Level 1, so as soon as the battle ended, the Terror Knight leveled to Level 3 before joining the party and reverting from Level 27 to Level 3.

Del Murder
03-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Aw, that's weak. They should at least be at the level at which they join the party in the intial battles, especially for special classes unique to certain characters.

Roogle
03-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I think you can level have a class gain about five or six levels by soloing at Tynemouth Hill at Level 1. If you have a good character with good skills equipped, then you can easily solo certain maps with them and gain about a level or two per battle limiting the amount of time that you spend training the classes before they can join the rest of the team and contribute properly.

Del Murder
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Are the level of monsters in random encounters based on the highest level in your party?

Roogle
03-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Not necessarily. Random encounters scale to the average level of your active party with a minimum variable dependent on the map. Tynemouth Hill, for example, has a minimum level of 2.

Story encounters, too, can scale to the average level of your active party depending on your actions.

Del Murder
04-07-2011, 02:33 AM
So I am finding Archers and ranged attacks in general to be pretty overpowered in this game. Ranged attacks are generally pretty good in these types of games, but at least there was charge times in FFT that limited the effectiveness of range attacks until you got access to the broken sword skills and mathematics.

Roogle
04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes, Archers and Arycelle, the unique character representative of the Archer class, are extremely powerful. The only thing that hampers their great power is the fact that 1-H Bows and 1-H Crossbows stop at Level 23. Canopus and Arycelle are very easily among the top most powerful units in the game.

escobert
04-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I used to have both FFT and Ogre Tactic s and much preferred FFT. I don't really remember why as I was in 7th grade but I do remember not really getting that into OT.

Bolivar
04-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Archers can be a little overpowered but their damage is severely hampered by the armored units, and against dragons they're just about useless.

man I didn't know about soloing random battles, but i feel like bringing that low a level with your party would be able to net them at least 1 level a battle, i think i might do that b/c i'm about to go to the Hanging Gardens at the end, but I heard there's a lot of dragons there so I might try to build up a dragoon.

Final Fantasy Tactics looks a little better when it comes to the sprites and certain retained animations. I meant that Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is basically just a port of the original game with an updated translation, whereas Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is completely revamped in almost every single way aside from the basic graphics.

Do not be nervous about asking questions like that. You can follow him on Twitter and ask him questions any time: Alexander O. Smith on Twitter (http://twitter.com/aokajiya)

I am a little curious about what he looks like, though. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him at all.

haha it's a lot different though in person after an awesome, lengthy panel presentation. Plus you can get a lot more than 140 characters back in person, they spent a long time with everyone's question(s) (most of us asked two) and were in general very, very cool.

He's bald and lanky in the FFXII dev interviews but he's gained some weight and grown a beard.

Roogle
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes, early on, Archers will be stopped by heavily armored units like Golems and Dragons, but once you build up their Bows or Crossbows skill to a certain point, they start doing heavy damage on even the strongest units. It becomes a little ridiculous how powerful the ranged units become. Canopus and Arycelle, for example, can take out a dragon between them using properly leveled skills in bows or crossbows. Archers eventually learn Double Shot which allows them to make two consecutive attack actions, too.

Bolivar
04-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Beat the game, last week, loved it. Played only a couple of the side quests/optional areas, and it took me 65 hours. TONS of content to go. Really satisfied with this game and the ending I got, I heard the others were kind of crazy.

Roogle
04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
The game easily created over two hundreds hours of content by expanding on sidequests from the original game alongside the addition of The World Tarot. I think that this is how a remake should be done.