PDA

View Full Version : Good games that you hate.

Flying Arrow
03-03-2011, 03:00 AM
The companion thread to Merry's. List some solid, well-made games that you just can't get into or that put you off in some way despite their general higher quality. I have several:

-Xenogears: Picked this up on PSN this week. It's the third time in my life that I've started it, but I have never actually managed to get even halfway through Disc 1. Not only that, but I hit a wall and had to restart this time (this is partially my fault and partially the fault of a badly-designed scenario). God knows when I'll finally see the end credits. I've also never been into mechs of any kind, so I've always kept a healthy distance from this title. I also generally dislike the game's look and mechanics (ugly rotatable environments and terrible platforming sections). It generally doesn't really have that special something that I love in other Square games, although maybe I haven't given it a fair shake.

-Okami: A solid, beautiful game that I just find monotonous and kind of boring. There's a lot to do and it's absolutely gorgeous to look it, but I feel like there is way too much busywork going on. It also lasts forever and the companion character never shuts the smurf up and kills any possible mental challenge the game throws at the player. Probably another one I'll never see the credits for, but wish I could.

-Psychonauts: I'll admit it. I hate this game. It's creative and adorable and all that, but it plays like absolute trash. I have the PS2 version but I'm willing to bet that the others are just as obnoxious. This probably shouldn't be on this list, but since a lot of people like it I figured I'd include it.

-BioShock: Honestly? I find it boring. I love almost everything about it except for the actual level-design, which I found to be tortuously monotonous. Every time I get the urge to give it a spin again, the thought of slogging through level after level chills me. I may give this one another try; I still want to see that 'good' ending.

-Dragon Age Origins: I'm primarily a console gamer, so I realize this isn't the ideal way to play this game. Truthfully, I think the console version is a butchered PC port, and I only had about an hour or two's worth of time with the PC version at a friend's. I completely see myself enjoying this a great deal more with the proper set-up and inputs (on PC with a keyboard and mouse). On the other hand, I'm just not a fan of Bioware's games. Jade Empire and Mass Effect 2 are others that I've sadly given up on.

-Deus Ex: Yeah, yeah. But there's just something about it that gets me. The AI, mostly. Every encounter is awful for me simply because I dislike killing people (funny thing is that stunning and killing have no functional difference; enemies will never wake up once down and nor will they be woken up by comrades). I bet if I had more bloodlust I'd have a better time. I've always wanted to love this game and popped it in recently again, but just nothing. Still looking forward to Human Revolution, though. And Alpha Protocol was a great variation on the DX theme, too.

Jessweeee♪
03-03-2011, 03:19 AM
FYI I made that thread because every gaming thread turns into this thread and it's just so negative! But I'll participate anyway because I love complaining.

I'm not too fond of anything Mario.

NorthernChaosGod
03-03-2011, 03:29 AM
If I don't like it, it sucks.

Laddy
03-03-2011, 03:34 AM
I hate shooters.

Wolf Kanno
03-03-2011, 06:03 AM
You should know, you're officially dead to me now Flying Arrow for hating on Xenogears and not liking giant robots. :colbert:

This is kind of tough for me actually, cause despite disliking several popular games, I don't necessarily feel I hate them. I would still play them (many I still do) but I still feel the games are flawed, and often don't deserve the praise they receive. Other popular games I don't like has more to do with not liking the genre itself, these I'm omitting.

So I start with this frame of mind, often times the game simply doesn't live up to my expectations and nothing more, some are awful though...

Let's start off with the two big ones for this forum.

FFVII. I've grown to like VII from a mechanical point of view and I do like the world design and mythos, but I feel the game failed to live up to it's grander background and VII still has my least favorite cast in the series ignoring crap like X-2 that is. I still feel the game has many redeeming values, and I do get around to playing it more than I care to admit but I don't really take any pleasure in the narrative or characters.

FFX is mostly a sub-par game. Its not necessarily a terrible game but I feel it backtracks so much from previous installments of the series and does so little to advance the series and genre, either as a game or as a story. It's just disappointing cause it's overwhelmingly mediocre and even good ideas like the combat system are poorly implemented by making the game dirt easy and creating a battle system that requires you to be more repetitive than usual for RPG.

Crisis Core: Solid proof that nostalgia and fandom can make even the most awful of games sells millions of copies and excel it into greatness. CC has a watered down version of KH1's combat system, with a terrible interface for using materia, a useless skill (block) and a broken skill (dodge roll) that either hinder you, is useless to you, or is so overpowered that it sucks away challenge from the game. Missions are incredibly repetitive, usually involving traversing the same five maps for 90% of the missions and only add a few extra for the other 10%. The story mode is criminally easy, requiring little in levels, strategy, planning, or pacing. If you had a hard time with the final boss in CC and you are not playing on Hard mode, you fail at gaming. It is that ridiculously easy. Speaking of hard mode, it goes in the opposite direction and is incredibly difficult unless you spend countless hours in normal mode leveling materia and working on fusions to get max stats.

The story is awful, Genesis is not only annoying but his whole story is a slightly alternate version of Sephiroth's and while the game tries to make him sympathetic, his obnoxious bouts of gnarm inducing poetry and his snarky jack-assery pretty much wants you to smash his goddamn pretty face in every time he is mentioned.

Most of the cast of new characters feel like knockoffs from other characters in VII. This is the games biggest flaw as a narrative, often times the best moments are simply the times the game emulates the original game, from the alternate train opening, to Zack falling through the abandoned church, to randomly running into Yuffie, to the fact the games plot is basically the same themes of VII, from Zack trying to stop a Super SOLDIER elite who was created in an experiment involving gene splicing alien DNA with human DNA. He learns he's a monster, goes crazy, and tries to destroy the world. CC really doesn't try to be original, its just a cheap knockoff of the original with a different cast and lacking all the elements that made the first game great.

Overall the new elements don't add anything new to the VII mythos, Shin-Ra made a few Sephy knockoffs who just cheapen the blow to Sephiroth's fall into insanity. Considering he learns that both his best friends are Shin-Ra experiments, what's the big deal then Sephy? Why would you think you were different. I would have been questioning my origins after you learned the first one was not completely human. :roll2

The storyline undermines the original game and tries desperately to force itself into the canon so fans can't just ignore it anymore. The Nibelheim incident is completely ruined thanks to the alterations to the story. Even returning characters feel like shadows of their former selves. Happy an calming Aerith has to be cheered up quite a bit by Zack and her interactions with Zack are so few that it doesn't do much to establish much connection with each other, Cloud is continuing his whiny self-pity rewrite from AC, Sephiroth is keeping up his calm and quiet badass reslove despite being one of the more chatty villains in the series. Hell, the majority of Sephy's dialogue in CC is during the Nibelheim incident.

Even some of the better elements like the last stretch of the game feels like the staff is trying so hard to compensate for some kind of inefficiency in the original. As far as fans knew, Zack was taken out by a small platoon of soldiers that got the jump on him In CC, he fights most of the Shin-Ra army and almost wins, literally being killed by the last two survivors of the battle. He get's a gnarm induced final speech to Cloud and then the game breaks out into one of the worst ending themes to grace the FF titles. It's bad enough that Sephy got transformed into a city destroying badass of unstoppability in CC, to have Zack get an equally absurd power boost was ridiculous. This coming from a guy who actually loves Zack.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Good god has this game not aged well, it was acceptable back in the day and even then I still felt that the move to 3D didn't really work out so well for Link. I hate Z targeting cause it seemed like it got in the way more often than not, but the game constantly brings up new scenarios that force you to use it. The best elements of the game are taken straight out of it's predecessor (which never seems to get any kind of credit) and the Time Travel gimmick is barely used in the game, beyond grabbing a few extra hearts and one silly dungeon, hell, it's practically the same thing as the Dark World gimmick in LttP except you get a different character model and it's in 3-D.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - As a cinematic experience, this game is great, as an MGS fan whose eaten up the mythos, the game does a decent job tying up most of the loose ends even if some things felt kind of pointless. As a game, I felt MGS4 dropped the ball, it incorporated a third person shooter set-up which destroys the games balance and makes it one of the easier entries imho. There is no point in using stealth, Snake can murder anything but Gekkos (until you get to Shadow Moses that is) that the game throws at him. The boss fights themselves, while still fun and crazy, felt much easier since you can actually just blow them away with ease and access a gun store for any ammo or weapons you need. The 3rd Person Shooting is not even that good cause the game can't put up enough of a good fight to offer a challenge. What's the point in using stealth if its really difficult to be killed? The entire principle of stealth is to avoid conflict cause you can't win. When you're main character has the power of an 80's action movie star, why the hell should you hide? Some would argue the game is great cause it allows you to play it differently but now you're just in the GTA mindset, except everyone seems to fail to forget that GTA is actually pretty awful in all of its gameplay modes, it's an awful shooter, an awful driving game, it's only strength is that it allows you to do multiple things, not any of it very well. No one is waiting for the GTA racing spin-off, nor the action/shooter spin-off either. The same applies here, neither mode is really satisfactory.

GTA series - Just read the part I referenced in MGS4 rant. Except add the fact the game is more engaging as a silly middle school gore fest where you're laughing to yourself everytime you score with a hooker and then beat her to death. The plots are (like everything else in the games) simply just poor knockoffs of actually good crime films. If you really want to watch the story of a crime lord in Miami set in the 80s, just watch Scarface.

Mario Galaxy - I don't know what it is about this game that makes it so unengaged for me. Maybe it's because the levels feel like nothing more than a series of micro puzzles rather than a silly romp through a level where I can shut-off my head. Maybe it's because other plat-formers have come and destroyed my ability to accept the Mario formula of platform gaming. I'm halfway through the game and I am utterly bored, maybe it's just too easy.

Fallout 3 - I love the world and setting, but it's bogged down with too many silly quests that bog down the pacing, it has a rather boring main story with awful pacing, and the game gets pretty easy rather quickly. Basically what most of you people say about FFXII.

Resident Evil series - Its not scary and until RE4, it had awful controls.

Flying Arrow
03-03-2011, 10:36 AM
FYI I made that thread because every gaming thread turns into this thread and it's just so negative! But I'll participate anyway because I love complaining.

I'm not too fond of anything Mario.

If it makes you feel better, I love your thread. Forgive me for being hate-filled. :(

In my defense, I wanted to use the word "dislike" in the title rather than "hate" - but then it wouldn't have mirrored your thread and I would have lost my beloved symmetry.

Slothy
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Mario Galaxy - I don't know what it is about this game that makes it so unengaged for me. Maybe it's because the levels feel like nothing more than a series of micro puzzles rather than a silly romp through a level where I can shut-off my head. Maybe it's because other plat-formers have come and destroyed my ability to accept the Mario formula of platform gaming. I'm halfway through the game and I am utterly bored, maybe it's just too easy.

What bored me more than anything was the complete lack of exploration and how linear ever single world was. Not to mention everytime they (poorly) implemented motion control into the game. It felt like a big step backward from games like Mario World and Mario 64 where the player could explore for secrets and dictate how they completed the game. Hell, I didn't even get most of the stars in Mario 64 in order. Nothing beat stumbling across a star you weren't looking for, or finding a new secret in a level. Much of that was absent in Mario Galaxy and instead we got extremely linear miniature worlds and the lackluster return of suits and the fire flower.

Resident Evil series - Its not scary and until RE4, it had awful controls.

RE4 still had awful controls. Not being able to move while aiming, strafe, or even see the laser if it didn't hit something you could shoot (which makes no sense to me since it should be easy to render the dot on walls, floors, etc. when everything is rendered in real time). It's also about twice as long as it should be and falls into a repeating pattern of shoot some enemies, run away when they get too close, turn around and shoot some more (once you can figure out where you're aiming anyway), die in some unexpected QTE that expects me to have the reaction time of the flash, restart, die at the same QTE because they changed the button they want me to press, etc. I could keep going on, but suffice it to say I despise every aspect of the game and from what I played of RE5 they didn't fix anything. Dead Space was the game RE4 should have been if they wanted to go the action route.

Mass Effect: Like pretty much every Bioware game I've played (and Bethesda for that matter) I love the world, the setting and the history, but they decided to populate that world with boring characters, a predictable and very cliched sci-fi story, terrible gameplay (and I do mean terrible, the combat is a bad TPS with a piss poor cover system and half assed RPG element), and to top things off, what western RPG these days is complete without your genre standard binary morality system, complete with telling the player exactly how good or evil they are. Seriously, I despise any game giving moral choices and then completely undermining any meaning they have by applying some sliding scale of moral judgement to it. The morality systems need to become seamless and subtle if developers ever want me to take them seriously. You can apply every criticism I just had about Mass Effect to KOTOR as well. The only thing I can give them credit for is at least carrying the impacts of your choices in Mass Effect over into ME2, but since I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet (and getting the full effect would require replaying ME since my save file is long since gone in a PC reformat) I can't really judge how well it works, though it wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to undermine the impact of it like I felt they did every other time I made a choice.

Every (console) Mario Kart since Mario Kart 64: Rubber band AI is a lazy solution to not being able to program competent AI, and the rubber banding became a massive problem after MK64. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that beating DD or MK Wii on anything over 50cc is as much about luck as skill. Add to that the fact that the newer courses have boring layouts with no real shortcuts, and there's little appreciable difference in the characters and you have games that make me want to put my controller through the TV. In fact, I hate these games so much that I refuse to even acknowledge them as being good, but some people seem to disagree, hence the make the list.

LunarWeaver
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Halo D=

Loony BoB
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
I would say hate is too strong a word, but I dislike FFX despite knowing that the game itself is probably good. Why? Because I can't stand Tidus and I can't stand Yuna. Seymour is nothing but annoying as well. I just... urgh. I hated those three characters. Wakka was annoying on occasion as well. The rest were tolerable, but still, urgh. Couldn't have made the three focus characters any more annoying for my end of things.

kotora
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
It can't be a good game if I don't like it.

Dreddz
03-03-2011, 04:22 PM
It can't be a good game if I don't like it.
I was about to say the same thing. My word means more than anybody elses I say. The only exceptions might have to be the Metroid and Castlevania games. In particular Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. Both well made games which I feel I should like but just can't get into.

Madame Adequate
03-03-2011, 04:38 PM
This thread is breaking my heart :cry:

All Zelda games

Jessweeee♪
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
GTA series - Just read the part I referenced in MGS4 rant. Except add the fact the game is more engaging as a silly middle school gore fest where you're laughing to yourself everytime you score with a hooker and then beat her to death. The plots are (like everything else in the games) simply just poor knockoffs of actually good crime films. If you really want to watch the story of a crime lord in Miami set in the 80s, just watch Scarface.

Ahahaha I remember when a Scarface game was made and it looked EXACTLY like Vice City because really how was that not going to happen? The only GTA title where I enjoyed doing the missions was GTA IV. I was actually interested in the plot, and most of the missions weren't aggravating (but oh god every time I see "Get on the motorcycle." I want to punch things). The REAL fun in GTA is cheating to get weapons and tanks and then blowing things up!

Psychotic
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Ōkami. Look at the reviews it got. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckami#Reception)

The game is completely atrocious. Nice artistic style, the rest was just fucking dull and not fun to play in the slightest. And get rid of the line above the O you pretentious jerks.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
-Xenogears: Picked this up on PSN this week. It's the third time in my life that I've started it, but I have never actually managed to get even halfway through Disc 1. Not only that, but I hit a wall and had to restart this time (this is partially my fault and partially the fault of a badly-designed scenario). God knows when I'll finally see the end credits. I've also never been into mechs of any kind, so I've always kept a healthy distance from this title. I also generally dislike the game's look and mechanics (ugly rotatable environments and terrible platforming sections). It generally doesn't really have that special something that I love in other Square games, although maybe I haven't given it a fair shake.

WHAT?!?!?!?!? :doublecolbert:

You should know, you're officially dead to me now Flying Arrow for hating on Xenogears and not liking giant robots. :colbert:

:squeeze:

That is all.

Madame Adequate
03-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Ōkami. Look at the reviews it got. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckami#Reception)

The game is completely atrocious. Nice artistic style, the rest was just smurfing dull and not fun to play in the slightest. And get rid of the line above the O you pretentious jerks.

Couldn't even get through the intro, it was so tedious.

Jiro
03-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Zelda games and I just don't go together all that well. It sucks because I want to love it :(

Del Murder
03-04-2011, 03:24 AM
Bioshock. I was really hyped up for this game because I love games with intriguing and mysterious stories. I'm generally not a fan of fps but I do like non-traditional fps games like Metroid Prime and Portal. But I was just not able to get a handle on the controls for this game and was not having any fun while playing it (though I did like the story elements).

Vermachtnis
03-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Gran Turismo, I'm not a fan of car sims in general. But this one stands out cause I know it's good at what it does, but cars just bore me. Driving is boring in real life and if I can't lobe turtle shells or mow down civilians in a video game than it's boring there too.

Flying Arrow
03-04-2011, 03:59 AM

Giant robots are probably one of the few things that instantly kill my interest in anything. I consider myself a reasonably open-minded person but I really just cannot do giant robots. I didn't even like Transformers as a child (in fact I actively disliked it) and I garroted the last person who invited me to see those Michael Bay catastrophes.

And come on. I know Xenogears is a fan favourite, but it's not like I went and put Chrono Trigger on the list or anything. We can still bond over our mutual dislike for Final Fantasies X and XIII, can't we?

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2011, 01:00 AM
You're still dead to me. Giant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teoB2hSRArU&feature=related) Robots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuWlcZRuiVI) Rock! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAPGLO-r4s) :cool:

DMKA
03-05-2011, 04:14 AM
I dunno...I've never played a game and thought "Wow this is a great game BUT DAMN I'M HATING EVERY SECOND OF IT!"

Vyk
03-05-2011, 12:40 PM
I think its more like wow, I can tell they tried to make a great game, and everyone else seems to think they accomplished it. But damn I hate this game

I'm not going to ramble about it for now, because I've done that enough in plenty of other threads. But Halo (2 and beyond) and GTA (IV mostly, never played much of the others to hate more than their hype) top my list

kotora
03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I think its more like wow, I can tell they tried to make a great game, and everyone else seems to think they accomplished it. But damn I hate this game

No that just means it's an overrated game.

VeloZer0
03-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I dunno...I've never played a game and thought "Wow this is a great game BUT DAMN I'M HATING EVERY SECOND OF IT!"
I get that feeling all the time. Mostly because I'm incredibly picky. When I run into something that turns me off of a game I don't usually jump in to thinking it is a bad game, just that it doesn't live up to my finicky preferences. That said, I don't keep playing just to hate it, I just put it down and don't play again.

Levian
03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
1. Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
2. Fight Night Champion (PS3) 87.64%
3. Fight Night Champion (X360) 86.32%
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops (X360) 87.55%
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3) 88.14%
6. Killzone 3 (PS3) 87.33%
7. Bulletstorm (X360) 84.54%
8. Bulletstorm (PC) 82.35%
9. Gray Matter (PC) 74.86%
10. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution (PC) 81.33%

This is the top list on gamerankings atm. They have to be great games because of their high scores, and I hate them (except nr. 9) because I don't like them and the developers could be spending the time they made on these games, to make games that I like instead. :colbert:

I also dislike FPS per definition because people I know play them instead of playing something more fun with me. :colbert:

Excuse me, I'm aging. :(

kotora
03-05-2011, 02:55 PM
High scores on game sites don't make great games, especially not nowadays where any turd that has enough money and hype backing it will get an 8 or a 9. The big sites are all too afraid to piss off their advertisers.

escobert
03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Mario is Evil I HATE MARIO
and Halo! I just never got into Halo even though I think Marathon is amazing.

Bunny
03-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Final Fantasy X.

It is a horrible game and the people who like it are stupid and wrong.

kotora
03-05-2011, 06:23 PM
And yet you're naming it in the thread for good games that you don't like. Doublethink?

Vyk
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Man that avatar makes everything you say sound way more pompous lol Maybe that's what you were going for anyways. It seems fitting though. No offense

sharkythesharkdogg
03-07-2011, 02:00 AM

Giant robots are probably one of the few things that instantly kill my interest in anything. I consider myself a reasonably open-minded person but I really just cannot do giant robots. I didn't even like Transformers as a child (in fact I actively disliked it) and I garroted the last person who invited me to see those Michael Bay catastrophes.

And come on. I know Xenogears is a fan favourite, but it's not like I went and put Chrono Trigger on the list or anything. We can still bond over our mutual dislike for Final Fantasies X and XIII, can't we?

You're still dead to me. Giant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teoB2hSRArU&feature=related) Robots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuWlcZRuiVI) Rock! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAPGLO-r4s) :cool:

YEAH!!! :p

We're cool. X and XIII sucked. I played 'em anyway. Honestly, my fav. things about Xenogears would be the story and the soundtrack. The game play was decent, but other RPGs have done it better. There just are hardly any that made me want to find out what happens next the way Xenogears did. It was AWESOME!!!:love:

Bunny
03-07-2011, 02:05 AM
And yet you're naming it in the thread for good games that you don't like. Doublethink?

Probably because I'm one of the few people I have met that think it is a terrible game? Which.. I think that means it would be a good game that I think is horrible.

Vyk
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
OH! I have one. Chrono Trigger. For the life of me I could just not get into that game. I'm not going to start bashing it and saying I hate it because its actually a bad game and people just don't realize it or something. It is a good game! I can admit that. And I want to love it. I do. It just never captures my interest. At all. I'm always either confused or bored by whatever plot is going on. I get lost a lot. And when I'm not lost, I struggle to care about whatever plight I'm trying to fix. And I'm honestly not sure why. Because this isn't something to do with my super picky gaming tastes that I've acquired these days. I played CT about the same time I played FF6. I wasn't all that late to the party. Though I've always struggled to enjoy games that have encounters on screen. I always end up rushing past them because I don't want to fight if I don't have to. And then I'm way under-leveled for bosses. So I have to grind until my brain goes numb. And the hero's not talking or engaging me. Which also always bothered me in old-school games. Not good, when coming off of FF4 and 6, where everyone talks. Not sure why it would have bothered me so much, since it was insanely common back then, but it still seemed like a massive step backwards by comparison. And for some reason I never really clicked with the battle system. Which is also a show-stopper for that kinda game. You have to be able to tolerate the battle system, because you have to get into battles. But I'm going to stop analyzing it. I'm just happy (or sad) to have a real candidate for the thread

drotato
03-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I hate shooters.

I agree.
I don't "hate" them, really, but they kind of bother me, i dunno. I can't stick to them. I also think, in a way, that they slightly scare me. ;~;

EDIT: Oh, as well as car/racing games. I just can't stand them. /:

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Vyk, you're joining Flying Arrow on my list of people who are dead to me on this forum.

G13
03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
So much Zelda hate. :cry:

Dragon Age: Origins is the only game that comes to mind atm. I heard so much good about this game but it didn't live up to its hype at all. And what's the deal with everyone being all "Oooo Allistair"? He's the :bou::bou::bou::bou:tiest tank I've ever had the displeasure of having in a party! And nothing he says is even remotely interesting, just like all the other characters' dialogue. This game was just not fun at all for me.

Yar
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I agree with Vyk. If there is any RPG that I think is more overrated-ier than Final Fantasy VII, it's Chrono Trigger.

Loony BoB
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Chelsea vs. Manchester United. >=(
Liverpool vs. Manchester United. >=(

Yeargdribble
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
It's difficult to come up with anything fitting the title. Though people might peg me as cynical about everything, when it comes to games I actually try to find the good parts rather than the bad ones. I can usually find at least something redeemable about games that most people dislike.

I skimmed the thread and still haven't see anything that quite has me disgusted and even though in my blog I go over all of the things about Gears of War that I find underwhelming (mostly due to hype) I don't hate that game and actually have had a ton of fun playing it.

There are games that just don't grab me the same as everyone else though. Dragon Age is probably top among them. I've made several fail attempts to finish it. I really though my last one would follow through too. I'm extremely excited while playing it. I like the very gray-area decisions that have to be made. I love the dialogue, and character interactions. I just always find myself putting it down after a while. I'm not that compelled to continue. I respect the gameplay and sometimes enjoy the tight strategy that is required to win a nearly hopeless situation, but at some point everything feels like a chore. Getting new equipment and sorting through stuff seems like the biggest chore of all. As much as I feel empathy toward the story figure and I'm moved for much of it, it's just not enough to keep me wanting to come back.

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I agree with Vyk. If there is any RPG that I think is more overrated-ier than Final Fantasy VII, it's Chrono Trigger.

You're also on the list and you just reminded me of another overrated game I never cared for. Baldur's Gate. Its like playing with the most gnarm inducing LARP players this side of the Pacific.

Fynn
03-07-2011, 08:55 PM

You're also on the list and you just reminded me of another overrated game I never cared for. Baldur's Gate. Its like playing with the most gnarm inducing LARP players this side of the Pacific.

IMO, the sequel makes up for it :)

Parasite Eve for me. I'm still trying to make my way through the game... I really wanna like it. I mean, the atmosphere is superb. But I think it's the battle system that's killing me. I think I messed my game up since I made Aya's gun shoot five times in succession, which makes her stand in place and unable to sustain any damage whatsoever. I'm back at NYPD and the adorable pooch Sheeva just turned into an Eldritch Abomination, which just makes me sad :( Can't get past, though. The battle area's are so smurfing small I can't do anything!

I really wanted to like this game. But it just doesn't seem to want me to. :(

nirojan
03-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Man that avatar makes everything you say sound way more pompous lol Maybe that's what you were going for anyways. It seems fitting though. No offense

OMG THIS!!!

Kotora I refuse to take your comments seriously and as a proud Bieber-H8er you will now forgo any relevance you've ever had in your life!!

/sarcasm

I am admittedly shocked at some of the games on this list. I can't believe someone mention Xenogears...that's like a crime against humanity lol! Bioshock, DA:O & Deux Ex?!?!? I mean your entitled to your own opinions, but wow. It's like Wolf's rant about Crisis Core, when me and (I would think alot of people) generally liked it. Infact, I'd say it's probably one of the best on the PSP. Fallout 3 and GTA are understandable. I find that longer games tend to have a really low completion rate among gamers, so people who don't witness the "dramatic revelations/ game changer" near the end of the game and never truly get to appreciate it! I had an argument with a friend who was proclaiming that inFamous and Deux Ex sucked. He never got to the end of inFamous so he never saw the craziness/ epicness that the ending opened up and he couldn't stand the graphics of Deux Ex so he stopped playing it before he realized how deep the game mechanics were. A good example of not fully playing a game is MILF's proclamation of not being able to get thru the intro of Okami, I hope to god he was being sarcastic cause that is a f**ked up way to judge a game.

Vyk
03-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I know I couldn't have picked a worse contender to hate. But I don't really hate it, and I certainly don't just hate it for being over-rated. But like Yearg, its hard for me to say I hate a game. I can mostly just admit a game is just not for me. Which is what Chrono Trigger personifies for me. Its not a terrible game. And I truly wanted to like it. Its just not for me. Though I admit there really aren't a whole lot of RPGs out there like it, so for the people it did click with, what else are they supposed to love? If that kinda stuff gets them off, its gotta be that game or nothing. And apparently that gets a lot of people off, so of course its pretty widely loved. Just not by me :]

sharkythesharkdogg
03-08-2011, 03:16 AM

IMO, the sequel makes up for it :)

Parasite Eve for me. I'm still trying to make my way through the game... I really wanna like it. I mean, the atmosphere is superb. But I think it's the battle system that's killing me. I think I messed my game up since I made Aya's gun shoot five times in succession, which makes her stand in place and unable to sustain any damage whatsoever. I'm back at NYPD and the adorable pooch Sheeva just turned into an Eldritch Abomination, which just makes me sad :( Can't get past, though. The battle area's are so smurfing small I can't do anything!

I really wanted to like this game. But it just doesn't seem to want me to. :(

I want to hate you for this, but I loved the game when it was new. Even then the combat system was "clunky". I really thought it was innovative for an RPG, but definitely needed more developing. Then they scrapped it for the sequel.

Anyway, I bet if I tried it now (and I plan to, thank you ebay!) I would hate the combat too.

Jiro
03-08-2011, 04:20 AM
A good example of not fully playing a game is MILF's proclamation of not being able to get thru the intro of Okami, I hope to god he was being sarcastic cause that is a f**ked up way to judge a game.

Once that fucking bouncy thing starts speaking I want to stab myself in the ears. Being unable to speed it up, and the fact that everything takes so fucking long really annoyed me. I left the room and came back later. I enjoyed Okami but ffs it frustrated me every time it tried to force feed me a story line in slow motion.

Shiny
03-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Grand Theft Auto III

Critics and gamers love it, but I hate it. I can see why it's a good game to a lot people and it has redeeming qualities, but I want to burn it. Don't want it in my collection. Hate forever. If anyone wants it, I'll mail it to them.

Resident Evil Series: A long time ago, I loved the first one even though it was cheesy then I just realized they're formulated crap. I have played RE 5 and enjoyed it because it was a fun game. And I share the opinion with the rest of the series. If I play it it's fun, but I have strong dislike for everything it stands for. Apart from zombies and kicking ass I would never touch this crap. Worse story lines, cliche endings, and characters in the history of gaming. Don't even get me started on the voice acting. -_-

Flying Arrow
03-08-2011, 05:00 AM
A good example of not fully playing a game is MILF's proclamation of not being able to get thru the intro of Okami, I hope to god he was being sarcastic cause that is a f**ked up way to judge a game.

Once that smurfing bouncy thing starts speaking I want to stab myself in the ears. Being unable to speed it up, and the fact that everything takes so smurfing long really annoyed me. I left the room and came back later. I enjoyed Okami but ffs it frustrated me every time it tried to force feed me a story line in slow motion.

I'm totally with you here. I can't stand the smurfing bouncy thing either. You don't have to play through even half of the game to get fed up with it. When it's not feeding you drab exposition in slow motion (as you said) it's outright spoiling a lot the game's puzzles. The kind of crap where you'll entire an area, the camera will zoom in on something curious (also a terrible practice) and then the bouncy thing will give you the most obvious smurfing hint in bold red letters. I hate feeling like I'm simply going through the motions when playing a game and Okami makes me feel like this more than almost any other game I've ever played.

Jessweeee♪
03-09-2011, 06:57 PM
"Good games that you hate" makes me think of situations like "Man, Fallout New Vegas is a great game and all, but I am so smurfing sick of it because I watched other people go through the game start to finish literally 17 times and I'll probably never ever want to play it myself now. Also wtf, is Liam O'Brian omipresent?" Which is what I would say if anyone asked me what I thought about Fallout: New Vegas.

Skyblade
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver. As a remake of a couple of the series' most popular entries, recreated with the more advanced technology availible and everything they learned from the past three generations, you would think these would be the best games yet. But they're not.

First and foremost, the Pokegear. The Pokegear was a device from ten years ago. It had neat functionality, and worked nicely, but has been made completely obsolete by the later developments in the series. The Poketch, in particular, from D/P/Pt, was a much more useful and convenient device. More functionality, easier interface (since you didn't have to crawl through menus), and a better asthetic (even if the original Gameboy style graphics did get annoying to some people). Instead, they decide to fill the touchscreen with the menu the entire bloody game. This is, of course, so that you can use the touchscreen to access the menu, but Nintendo has once again forgotten that the touchscreen sucks. For any sane player, the menu will be accessed through buttons exclusively, and the touchscreen will be almost entirely unused (except for the Itemfinder, which works great, except that you can't actually register it to a button hotkey for some moronic reason, nor can you walk around with it always active the way you could in D/P/Pt). Once again, gimmickry drags down a Nintendo game. Then there is the phone function, which is one of the most infuriating functions put in a Nintendo game ever. I don't mind getting calls for rematchs or items (although, again, the series had improved past that with the Vs. Seeker, and Nintendo once again chooses to go backwards), but since the game makes an annoying habit of calling you while you are in the middle of doing something else, like right before you enter a buiding or talk to someone, you wind up losing 95% of the phonecalls with no way to recover them. Fortunately, the important ones will actually freeze the game and make you listen to them, but it does have the effect of making the feature all but useless (especially if you play with sound off, since the visual notification is quite easy to miss).

Then there is the Pokeathlon. I hate this thing with a fiery passion. Granted, the extra contests have always been a bit annoying, but this one just totally ticks me off. D/P/Pt had a decent enough system for that. Poffins were easy to understand, easy to make, and infuriating to perfect. But, Nintendo just decided they didn't like the beauty contest either, and so junked it, the same way they had the previous contests. If they aren't going to stick with a single contest mechanic ever, it makes it nearly impossible to get any real investment in the system. Sticking with the same battle mechanics and just developing them further worked wonders for the series as a whole, but they seem reluctant to expand upon that at all.

And, finally, there is the other thing, which is the inability to evolve a lot of the Pokemon. Hopefully they will never repeat the stupidity of the Sinnoh evolutions in another game, but they really need to make an alternative way to evolve the Pokemon who could only evolve on Mt. Coronet or the Eevee evolutions only availible on the particular paths. As it is, the evolutions are locked up in HG/SS, which just does more to make the D/P/Pt set seem like the pinnacle of the games in that generation, which, since they were released first, means the makers of HG/SS messed up.

So, yeah, they are still good games. They just fail in almost every way compared to what we had in D/P/Pt. As a sequel to Gold and Silver, it works great. As a sequel to the entire Pokemon series, these games are kind of a let down.

Old Manus
03-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I love Deus Ex. But it's not the perfect 'GAME OF THE YEAR ALL YEARS' that gets bandied about a lot. I mean, the first two thirds or so of the game are indeed genius, but after everything in Hong Kong, it sort of turns into a dungeon crawler where you just infiltrate a base, kill hundreds of baddies (I am quite aware it is possible not to), leave, repeat at the next destination.

Metal Gear Solid 4. I've posted about this game before, so I'll just quote it:

OLD MANUS PRESENTS MGS4 IS A GREAT GAME, BUT:

The script is godawful. It's like watching a direct-to-video 5th sequel of Shark Attack. Snake's rousing speech to Raiden at the beginning of Act 4 or something, on the helicopter, was so heavy with cheese it was a surprise the characters didn't suddenly don berets and start conversing in french.
Snake's voice in MGS1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F61qyDLZXvQ)
Now, I know he's meant to be all older and :bou::bou::bou::bou: in MGS4, but it's just got to the point where his voice is so gravelly it's annoying, and hampers Hayter's ability to sound convincing.
EVERYTHING IS BLAMED ON MOTHERsmurfING NANOMACHINES. It's like a Deus Ex Machina, except it applies to the whole pissing game. It's total nonsense.
I complained about this after MGS3 came out, but what the hell happened to the whole 'tactical espionage action' part? It's turned into a goddamned third-person shooter. You're no longer encouraged to use any form of stealth at any time, and indeed the game gives you weapons and ammo at every oppurtunity. On the lower difficulties, you can gun your way through virtually every bad situation, whereas if that happened on the original, you had to hide or you were smurfed.
The plot. I don't think anything else needs to be said there.
Snake is a total pussy. Part of the character's appeal in MGS1 was the fact that he didn't give a toss about any of the other characters (including Meryl, until later on in the game), and would openly call Otacon an 'idiot'. By MGS4, he's some kind of altrustic second coming of christ with a massive hero complex, who just takes :bou::bou::bou::bou: from everyone and goes all emo and WHY DO I FIGHT ;_; I felt sorry for the guy.

Finally, I thought Shadow of the Colossus was a teeny bit boring.

Madame Adequate
03-12-2011, 11:23 PM

But the thread is about good games. I'm not judging Okami, it just bored the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of me, I don't doubt that the people who laud it as the Second Coming had an astonishingly good time with it.

And anyway, far worse than that is people not getting into Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, or pretty much any game Wolf Kanno mentions (Well, barring Zelda) because his taste is strange and truly alien to me. I just... what kind of deranged mind-addling disease do you have to have to like FFXII more than FFX?

Also
>Flying Arrow
>Dislikes giant robots
Don't even have enough "Wat" to emphasize how conclusively I fail to wrap my head around this. I don't even.

Vyk
03-13-2011, 12:40 AM
I struggled to keep myself motivated to get through SotC as well. The game was beautiful in more ways than just one, but it could have done with a few less colossi. I enjoyed Ico a lot more, but there was a lot more to do in that game

Wolf Kanno
03-13-2011, 01:32 AM
pretty much any game Wolf Kanno mentions (Well, barring Zelda) because his taste is strange and truly alien to me. I just... what kind of deranged mind-addling disease do you have to have to like FFXII more than FFX?

Well actually being a game is a good start for XII. Rather than a cheesy soap opera version of an overused Japanese legend that anybody who is fairly familiar with anime in the past 20+ years has heard a billion times, comes to mind. Going from IX to X to XII, I kind of feel that X is missing something... oh right, its missing "fun". ;)

So I'm eccentric, that's nothing new. Though to be honest, part of my dislike from WRPGs hails from the fact that I prefer a bit more structure. Having a blank slate who can be anything and have any personality doesn't engage me and I never felt it made for good story telling. Awful VA work never helps either. Halfway through these games, I just feel like I could get a more meaningful experience out of a traditional PnP RPG, so for me, the sub-genre doesn't add anything that another genre doesn't already do better. Maybe Mass Effect will change that but who knows.

Then again I can understand your thoughts, I can't fathom anyone who wouldn't like Chrono Trigger, Persona 3, or any of the Ico Team's games. :screwy:

VeloZer0
03-13-2011, 01:40 AM
I was thinking about your comments about the people on this forum who are dead to you, and I was wondering what other games people could mention that would get the same reaction. And then I thought of Persona. And then I remembered I found it completely un-playable. :D (P4, In the personal taste sense, not the broken game sense)

I kind of feel that X is missing something... oh right, its missing "fun".
Really? Because I though 10 and 12 both completely blew from a world/characters/story point of view, the only difference is I had some fun with the FF10 battle system :p So completely opposite of what you said.

Proxy
03-13-2011, 03:18 AM
Halo D=

lawl. Halo isn't a "good" game. It's barely passable as ok. Its just bright, colorful, and it was a newish idea at the time, and has the easiest learning curve of almost any game I've played.
Yes I play halo, halo2, and halo3 but only for the above reasons.

Xenosaga: I just could NOT get into it. I loved Xenogears, the best story line I've ever seen in a video game. Xenosaga was just so boring, slow paced and was missing a lot.

Wolf Kanno
03-13-2011, 05:16 AM
I was thinking about your comments about the people on this forum who are dead to you, and I was wondering what other games people could mention that would get the same reaction. And then I thought of Persona. And then I remembered I found it completely un-playable. :D (P4, In the personal taste sense, not the broken game sense)

I kind of feel that X is missing something... oh right, its missing "fun".Really? Because I though 10 and 12 both completely blew from a world/characters/story point of view, the only difference is I had some fun with the FF10 battle system :p So completely opposite of what you said.

You already knew you were dead to me for XII and I know of your P4 loathing but then again, you are more picky than I am, I'm just more vocal about my tastes. :D

FFX's system sucks, it has no strategy beyond "let's see if I can switch everyone out in time to kill every enemy type so I don't get hit. Well I'll be damned I can and it only involves adding three more steps to the most tedious part of JRPGs which is random encounters" :jess: Yeah Square, that was smart, let's make the most tedious part of the game longer and easy. At least when I was mashing X in the PS1 era to get through battles, they only lasted a few seconds. Not to mention FFX has probably one of the worst battle themes in the series which doesn' help how tediously long they are. :roll2

Fynn
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Not to mention FFX has probably one of the worst battle themes in the series which doesn' help how tediously long they are. :roll2

Oh dear GOD, THIS! The man has spoken the truth! Wolf, you are truly an inspiration and it's thanks to people like you that I still have some faith in the gaming community :love:

Hope I'm not dead to you for not enjoying Parasite Eve, though :jess:

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2011, 07:26 PM
I never got far enough into PE to form a real opinion of it. It was pretty promising what I've played, I should get back to it cause I sort of forgot I own a copy. :sweatdrop:

LunarWeaver
03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Halo D=

lawl. Halo isn't a "good" game. It's barely passable as ok. Its just bright, colorful, and it was a newish idea at the time, and has the easiest learning curve of almost any game I've played.

This whole thread can really enter subjective territory easily, but overall Halo had the critical acclaim, sales, and plenty of dedicated fans. I suppose for this topic I use that as the gauge for what could constitute as "good". What else is there? I have played all 3 and don't see anything particularly wrong with it, but I too never saw anything particularly special about it either. So we're in the same boat, but I still give Halo the general "good game I just don't like" label.

Psychotic
03-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Halo is an awful game. And I can't stop playing it.

NorthernChaosGod
03-15-2011, 02:58 AM

I feel like this isn't the first time you've said this.

Skyblade
03-15-2011, 04:51 AM
Not to mention FFX has probably one of the worst battle themes in the series which doesn' help how tediously long they are. :roll2

Oh dear GOD, THIS! The man has spoken the truth! Wolf, you are truly an inspiration and it's thanks to people like you that I still have some faith in the gaming community :love:

Actually, I think X-2's was even worse.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-15-2011, 05:47 AM
For a while, it was ME1 for me. Mako turned me off so fast in the game. I still think while ME1 is great for a lot of things, the gameplay is clunky compared to ME2 and almost makes me not want to play it.

As for "good game" that I hate? Most MMORPGs, I can't get into them. Sorry. I hate farming and grinding. Despite what their ardent defenders say otherwise, in the end that's what it feels like I am playing.

I try only to buy games I am excited for, or heard good things about, so I don't get what the thread title indicates often, though I do buy games, play them for a bit and enjoy them but for some reason or another drop them and forget about them. :/

I get the lack of DA:O love if you played it on the console, though if you played it on the PC and still hated it, I don't get it. Ookami blew on the Wii (controls were sorta atrocious for the mirror weapon), it was super annoying though I loved it on the PS2. Sometimes, it is just the system that makes the game suck.

Naeva
03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
For the moment I can just think of Folklore to PS3, I loved the story it had me interested all the way to the end but I couldn't stand some of the problems with the battle system. Also I got so tired of the fact that you first had to first finish a world with one of the main characters and then you had to do it all over again with the second main character. It got so damn frustrating when I had to do the worlds I really disliked a second time.
So Folklore for me is a love and hate game :P

Psychotic
03-15-2011, 09:09 PM

I feel like this isn't the first time you've said this.It probably isn't. My views on this game are well known. Although only I and others who play it regularly may say it is terrible. Random anti-Xbox fanboys may not :colbert:

Also Mass Effect. SORRY EVERYONE I KNOW HOW YOU ALL LOVE IT :) I tried. I did. I just... meh.

Jessweeee♪
03-16-2011, 05:42 AM
But you also mentioned Halo in Bad Games you Love!

IS IT BAD OR GOOD DO YOU LIKE IT OR NOT PICK NOW

Psychotic
03-16-2011, 06:49 PM
OK OK JEEZ!

It's bad and I like it!!!!!

But nobody but me is allowed to say it is bad.

Shiny
03-16-2011, 07:54 PM
FFX's system sucks, it has no strategy beyond "let's see if I can switch everyone out in time to kill every enemy type so I don't get hit.
It has strategy. I for one definitely didn't play the game like how you suggested. The enjoyment of a game is half the game itself, but also how you play it. I do agree that the battle theme was meh, but definitely not the worst in the series in my opinion.

I actually forgot to mention hating Halo. I don't like it and the only reason I purchased it is to play with my friends, family, EoFFers. It's fun when you play with other people because they distract me from everything I hate about the game, but when I have to play by myself I am reminded why I hate it so much. Solo mode is ugh.

Proxy
03-23-2011, 02:36 AM
Halo D=

This whole thread can really enter subjective territory easily, but overall Halo had the critical acclaim, sales, and plenty of dedicated fans. I suppose for this topic I use that as the gauge for what could constitute as "good". What else is there? I have played all 3 and don't see anything particularly wrong with it, but I too never saw anything particularly special about it either. So we're in the same boat, but I still give Halo the general "good game I just don't like" label.

I see your point. And they are valid. I suppose I'll give it that also. "A good game i don't like"

magemasher
03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Assasins Creed for me. I remember seeing the advert on tele for AC 2 and I was almost drooling. I then went a brought AC 1 and I just couldn't click with the game. The game has everything I want in a game, Fighting with swords,daggers and bows and not a gun in sight. There was conspiracy and history in the story and a freedom to explore yet I couln't bare to play the game any longer than 2 hours.

I'm also not a fan of the hugely popular Modern Warfare or Call of Duty, Army and guns in any type of entertainment just don't do it for me.

Jessweeee♪
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Assasins Creed for me. I remember seeing the advert on tele for AC 2 and I was almost drooling. I then went a brought AC 1 and I just couldn't click with the game. The game has everything I want in a game, Fighting with swords,daggers and bows and not a gun in sight. There was conspiracy and history in the story and a freedom to explore yet I couln't bare to play the game any longer than 2 hours.

I'm also not a fan of the hugely popular Modern Warfare or Call of Duty, Army and guns in any type of entertainment just don't do it for me.

Have you played AC2? If not I recommend borrowing it from a friend or renting it to see if you like it any better. It took out everything that sucked and improved everything that was good in the first one. Ezio does not drown in knee deep fountains for one.

magemasher
03-23-2011, 08:37 PM
No I haven't. I watched my nephews play it a while back and came to the conclusion it was a better version of the first as far as graphics etc. I would borrow it to give it a try but I haven't got my PS3 at the mo and when I get it back I'm going to be tied up with finishing Dragon Age 1 and starting DA2. AC is the sort of game I could enjoy watching but not playing if you get me. Oh yeah the drowning was stupid, a big bad assasin and he can't swim lol.

Jessweeee♪
03-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah I could buy the "oh but his equipment is so heavy!" excuse, but drowning in a fountain?

DK
03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
[FFX's system sucks, it has no strategy beyond "let's see if I can switch everyone out in time to kill every enemy type so I don't get hit. Well I'll be damned I can and it only involves adding three more steps to the most tedious part of JRPGs which is random encounters" :jess: Yeah Square, that was smart, let's make the most tedious part of the game longer and easy.

It always amuses me when people have a whinge about game developers giving players more options on how to play a game. There's not a single part of the game that tells you "this is what you have to do, this is how you have to battle." You can do it however you want to do it. I don't get why it suddenly becomes a bad thing if there are more options to take.

The most hilarious one to me is when people whinge about FFVII's materia system, because "WAH WAH THERE ARE NO DEFINED CLASSES ANYMORE EVERYONE CAN JUST DO EVERYTHING POFOFIOSDFIEUSGHERUI". Again, there is no stage in the game at any time that forces you to spread out materia, and if you wanted to make defined classes, you could. If you wanted a Blue mage, just give someone enemy skill materia and be done with it. If you wanted a black mage, load someone up with attacking magic matera and nothing else, and the mildly gimped stats that come with it. Same for summoner and so on. But nah, instead of just taking the extra 2 minutes to set up materia to make classes that they wanted, they just whine because they don't have them. Lack of imagination displayed by some gamers is shocking.

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2011, 07:24 AM
[FFX's system sucks, it has no strategy beyond "let's see if I can switch everyone out in time to kill every enemy type so I don't get hit. Well I'll be damned I can and it only involves adding three more steps to the most tedious part of JRPGs which is random encounters" :jess: Yeah Square, that was smart, let's make the most tedious part of the game longer and easy.

It always amuses me when people have a whinge about game developers giving players more options on how to play a game. There's not a single part of the game that tells you "this is what you have to do, this is how you have to battle." You can do it however you want to do it. I don't get why it suddenly becomes a bad thing if there are more options to take.

Actually FFX does pretty much give you a tutorial on how the combat system should work and pretty much does tell you "this is how we want you to play the game". Even until a quarter of the way into the game, some of your party members are still ineffective on enemy types they weren't designed to stop, and trying to waste turns letting Yuna smack a monster with her wand when Auron can kill it in one hit seems more like being stupid rather than "thinking outside the box". Granted, Lulu can pretty much work on most of the monsters and Yuna's summons can destroy everything that is not from the Monster Arena but its still not changing the fact I can decimate a group of monsters in a single round. The only time the game really starts to drop this BS is when they finally start to give you large monsters you're meant to use summons on and I simply fight them normally cause they are not that hard. Even then sadly, the game now just plays like a non-ATB version of the old games, so the best part of the game is when it emulates games that are ten years older than it.

Often times challenges in the game were created by me (like the one I mentioned, about going through fights without letting the enemy get a turn) cause the game could not offer any, and to me, that is not "freedom of choice" rather its poor game design cause I have to bring my own entertainment. I've fought the bosses fair and I've also destroyed them by just entering the fights with every Overdrive at the ready. I never felt that either was terribly more enjoyable than the other, more like one was incredibly faster and required less effort than the other option and it irritates me to know I can simply do that and win.

Heath
03-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Chelsea vs. Manchester United. >=(
Liverpool vs. Manchester United. >=(

I'd say Everton vs. Anyone but I'm not sure many people would say that that's a good game :p

Good games that I hate? I never really understood the love of Farcry. I'll admit that I've only played the multiplayer, but I just didn't really enjoy it. I realise that the Halo series isn't superb, but at least I found them enjoyable to play.

Mercen-X
03-28-2011, 11:40 PM
In order for me to answer this, I'd first be required to know what constitutes a solid game. I am only capable at this point of guessing what's what.

-Psychonauts: I'll admit it. I hate this game. It's creative and adorable and all that, but it plays like absolute trash. I have the PS2 version but I'm willing to bet that the others are just as obnoxious. This probably shouldn't be on this list, but since a lot of people like it I figured I'd include it.

I love Okami if only because I find Amaterasu adorable as a plush toy. Susano reminds me of Hercule from Dragon Ball Z.

I liked Psychonauts enough to finish it, but I hated trying to collect those head-doodle things (lingering thoughts?), I turned to a strategy guide and even it couldn't help me.

I hate Gran Turismo after a point. I'll drive, but once the more serious competitions start opening up, the computer starts to run you over. I raced on a track on a high difficulty setting about 4 or 5 times. What irked me was that I took First Place the first two times, but from then on, there was this ridiculously fast vehicle on the track that always left me in the dust. WTF is that!?

I don't really have a lot of hated games that were solidly engineered unless their random difficulty particularly PO'ed me. If you count Dino Crisis or the first RE game as solid then, yeah, I hated those. The premise of Armored Core always appealed to me, but the game never could. The Beast Wars fighter, but I guess that was a horrendous attempt at a video game to begin with. I kind of liked Bio FREAKS, but it had a tendency to raise my blood pressure. Bloody Roar seems like a well-put-together game, but I never even bothered to try it. That's how corny the concept is to me. Samurai Warrior Musashi seems well-off... but I heard the first game was actually good.
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter for the fact that it's such a departure from the original series is both a positive and negative point, but I hated the way you were required to play the game in order to succeed. I never even figured it out until after I'd given up on it and read about it years later.
Crash Bandicoot if only because I'd long since grown out of the love of scrolling games by the time this was released.
Dance Dance games because you're not actually dancing. Even newer groove games don't require actual dancing but just make you look stupid and require you to surround yourself with a bunch of drunken friends so y'all can make fun of each other.
Danger Girl... mostly because I'd heard so much about it, but I never saw it anywhere and never got to play it to make my own opinion about it.
Dead or Alive. Not the game itself, just a lot of the fighting system irks me.
I tried to give Ehrgeiz the benefit of the doubt, but it just isn't worth it.

Iceglow
03-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Call of Duty Black Ops, the game has sold so many units it's not even funny any more. The game got so much critical acclaim it was ridiculous but the fact of the matter is the game was really a pile of crap.

Modern Warfare 2 was often criticized for an unbelievable storyline involving the detonation of nuclear missiles over US soil, the invasion of America, the massacre of civilians at a Russian airport leading to this invasion and the whole damn thing being pinned on the USA because of an undercover CIA agent gets caught. Ok so that was pretty stupid at times but Black Ops takes the piss completely:

A single special forces soldier is somehow captured in Cuba in the 50s he then manages to break free of the russian prison camp he's put in at some point in the 60s. By the 70s he's fighting in 'Nam Then in the 80s? He saves America from chemical weapons and his own brainwashed self in what can only be called the most "Team America" statement possible in such a game. Aside from the fact that even if he was 17 and somehow in the special forces during Cuba (a fact that is unlikely, the average special forces soldier is in their 30s if not their 40s) if we say that the games story ended up in 85 and the game story started in 56 he would be around 46 come the end of the game, it's a story spanning 29 years. If he was like most special forces soldiers actually around 30 in the first game he's bordering on 60 before the end. Even better his nemesis in the game is around 40 when he encounters him in Castro's Cuba in the 50s he'll be about 70 - 80 when the game draws to it's inevitable conclusion. Now I don't see a bunch of geriatrics managing to do all the things they do in this game.

Then I can criticize the weapons. Ok so Treyarch wanted to include weapons we were familiar with and yet have some authenticity, I applauded the inclusion of the AK74u, I applauded the inclusion of the M-16 these are all time specific and are great guns but when we look to the FAMAS rifle that gun as far as I am aware did not get made until 2001 15 - 20 years after the ending of the game. Whoops Treyarch put a gun in the game set 20 years prior to it's invention and well not only that where in Modern Warfare 2 the FAMAS was a 3 round burst gun famous for it's precision in Black Ops the gun is a fully automatic gun which can chew through it's entire stock of ammo in around 4 seconds of sustained fire (this includes a sleight of hand reload)

Then we get to the controls, Modern Warfare had some dumb moments, lets not even go there but Black Ops has had worse the controls somehow for a game built on the same engine as some of the Modern Warfare games feels loose it feels like Julian's mom after I've been going at it for an hour so if you've ever experienced those sloppy seconds then you know what to expect. I didn't expect the controls to feel lose after such a tightly tuned game in MW2.

Multiplayer, well lets see I have never believed either COD developer to make a particularly good multiplayer function. MW2 was kinda fun in how it rewarded you for progression with new weapons and rewarded you for using pieces of equipment on them with improved or new equipment, want a thermal scope? Earn it, get 60 kills through the ACOG first show us how bad you want it. Black Ops went for the "we're gonna unlock guns based on your level but you get to buy it with money you earned just leveling up and doing contracts of which you can do 3 at once and most are piss easy" So really there was little need to rank up and once you unlocked the AK74u (a mid range smg) you never really needed another SMG. The AK74u fires like an assault rifle, put a grip on it to curb the recoil and you can literally run through the multiplayer just using this weapon. I've got around 11000 COD cash because buying new weapons is pretty pointless unless I want the commando assault rifle. I think that the progression and "armoury" of the Black Ops game was ill thought out the fact that it takes nothing to choose what attachments to take for a gun save "do I have enough COD points yet?" means I have little incentive to buy a bigger gun when my current gun is possibly the best one in the entire game (wanna see how broken it is? When playing a MP team death match game type, check just how many of the people when they die drop one of 3 guns: Famas, Commando or the AK74u pretty much 90% of people use these 3 guns). Moving on from the progression system we come to a major flaw in the game the hit boxes on opponents. Sure we don't complain when the hit box allows us to be shooting someone and killing them without actually hitting them, especially if it's our game winning kill but seriously? The hit boxes are about 5ft square when your person is 2ft square. Then there's the considerable lack of skill it takes to get kills. I'm not kidding you Halo requires so much skill compared to the Call of Duty series. The rhythm needed to place DMR shots perfectly for a 5 bullet kill for example, difficult to master, easy to learn. Call of Duty hasn't got that it's just a case of who has the bigger gun or the drop. Likewise I have seen videos and been in frays in Halo, especially on Halo Reach where 2 people or more have gone after someone alone and the lone spartan/elite comes out on top against them through sheer skill and a little luck. In Call of Duty if 2 enemies see you and you see 2 enemies, you die no matter what. Sometimes you'll kill one of them if you're lucky but whatever you try unless you've got a grenade launcher a bit of space and a lot of fucking luck you're dead. Simples. Kill streak rewards are another gripe theres very little bonus to a death streak reward, maybe you'll drop a grenade on death but then the grenade will blow up harmlessly behind someone unless they stood around to bag (great tea bag prevention there) which would have been pointless since kill cam prevents them from seeing you desecrating their bodies. However get 3 kills and you get the chance to know constantly for a limited time just where the enemies are, get 5 kills and the game gives a crate which can randomly give you: ammo or ANY kill streak reward possible in the game in MW2 this included nukes lol. 9 kills and suddenly you find yourself gunning down opponents with a Vulcan cannon from the side of a huey over the battlefield, the huey is far more effective at dodging the RPG shots than a Cobra or Apache above the battlefield. 15 kill streak and they give you a pack of dogs, the dogs are independent and run amok killing enemies until they're dead or they're tired. I've seen games end because someone got dogs whilst his teammate worked on getting a huey or got one from a dropped crate at the same time. Spawn - killed by chopper, spawn inside - killed by dog or by chopper shooting through wall depending on the level. The game actively supports and encourages a one sided crushing defeat instead of a close game that both teams can actively enjoy.

Over all I think Black Ops in particular though the Call of Duty franchise completely is overrated by most modern gamers on the PS3 it could well be one of the best if only FPS games you play mostly because if you don't happen to like Killzone there isn't much of a good choice out there on there, (though I would suggest Battlefield or even Home Front as an alternative) On the 360 however to be playing Call of Duty and claiming it's far superior to Halo when Bungie have time and time again proven to make masterful multi player game experiences is sheer madness, Call of Duty Black Ops takes no skill, is very little fun if you're on the losing side of it and storyline wise somehow manages to be :bou::bou::bou::bou:tier than Halo Reach to boot.

Is Call of Duty Black Ops a good game? It's legion of fans and the critics seem to think so. Do I like it? I sat there with Quin playing last night and all night all both of us could say was "this is so :bou::bou::bou::bou:, why are we playing this crap? I don't know why we're doing this..."

kotora
03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm a critic and I think it's utter :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Reviewers from the big gaming sites who get paid by the advertisers to review the advertiser's games don't qualify as critics.

NorthernChaosGod
03-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I read like half of that fucking post and got winded. Wtf, Steve?

Also, your mum says hi.

Pete for President
03-30-2011, 08:12 PM
but when we look to the FAMAS rifle that gun as far as I am aware did not get made until 2001 15 - 20 years after the ending of the game.

The FAMAS has actually been in official service with the French since 1978. Involving someones mom in your statement hurts it's credibility somewhat btw.

Other than that, what surprises me is that the intensity of hate for a game seems to be directly proportional to it's popularity. CoD games being fine examples of this phenomenon.

Iceglow
03-30-2011, 11:53 PM
I read like half of that fucking post and got winded. Wtf, Steve?

Also, your mum says hi.

Don't even start like I didn't just wreck your mother, if you've played Black Ops you'd know just how loose she is.

As for WTF, I really get fed up with Black Ops, it makes me question time and time again why I own it or any of the Call Of Duty games and why I know already that at some point I will buy Modern Warfare 3 later this year. Activision are seriously killing my soul little by little everytime they promise something ground breaking and new and yet manage to serve up either something merely decent or yet another plate of disappointment...bit like the plate of disappointment that is your mother in bed, she's far inferior to Quin's even if Quin's mom did give me a Chlamydia scare filthy bitch.

but when we look to the FAMAS rifle that gun as far as I am aware did not get made until 2001 15 - 20 years after the ending of the game.

The FAMAS has actually been in official service with the French since 1978. Involving someones mom in your statement hurts it's credibility somewhat btw.

Other than that, what surprises me is that the intensity of hate for a game seems to be directly proportional to it's popularity. CoD games being fine examples of this phenomenon.

Oh, ok my bad about the FAMAS I was going on 3rd party information here, so wasn't 100% sure. Involving Julian's mom is a time honoured tradition in my posts and in this forum, just ask Psychotic about such events. But cheers for the clarification on the FAMAS there.

I agree theres a lot of hate for the game probably because the fans of the series claim so much has been revolutionized by COD and that every entry is so variably different when reality wise theres very little change between the new entries and the old. I will say any changes I have noted between say Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 have for the most part (with exception of the story writer lol) both made by the same studio are for the better, the way you can custom load out even for split screen ect is good. It's not however completely changing and it's not revolutionary either. Though at the same point in time I do understand the whole "If it aint broke..." comment but don't claim that you have changed it when you haven't. Where on the other hand someone who played Halo 1 on the original Xbox might now pick up Halo Reach, recognize it's a Halo game but will think "Whoa, this is completely different from the Halo I know. What the hell is this Armour Lock thing?" Hell even someone who played Halo 3 and then picked up Reach at first said "Whoa this is Halo yes, there are definitely things Halo in this but it's very different." I played 3 recently again for a bit at a friends and frankly I found it difficult to play because Reach has changed Halo so much for me.

NorthernChaosGod
03-31-2011, 03:47 AM
Blow me, Steve.

Involving someones mom in your statement hurts it's credibility somewhat btw.

It's a post on the internet about a video game; this is not a Presidential debate.

escobert
04-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Bad Company 2 > Black Ops

Iceglow
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Bad Company 2 > Black Ops

For a second I'll agree with you. Then I'll notice your edit to my sig and I'm left remembering you're a perverted scumbag who likes licking out dogs anuses and my disgust takes over.

escobert
04-03-2011, 08:40 PM
:love:

Wolf Kanno
04-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Let's leave everyone's mums out of this and other graphic details.

GhandiOwnsYou
04-04-2011, 06:14 AM
I'm shocked i haven't seen God of War in here. I can't speak for the third game, but after years of supposed action game dominance, i finally got around to picking up the 1+2 collection for PS3. Lame. I dunno, for a hack and slasher it seemed incredibly laggy to me, bordering on unresponsive. I would get to mashing on some random enemy, then notice something charging at my face, and be totally unable to stop pre-rendered asswhoopery in time to dodge the obvious attack. It just felt... broken. It makes me sad, cuz now i'm out $40 AND there are three games i was excited about that i am now totally unenthused with.

Hollycat
04-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Assassins creed bloodlines.
I'm sure some people love it, but I hate it. The whole game is around 4 hours long, and the last boss takes away everything you know about fighting by charging at you doing 5 hit combos that are unblockable and blocking most of your attacks.

black orb
05-07-2011, 02:19 AM
>>> Resident Evil..:luca: