PDA

View Full Version : Guilty pleasure shows

Del Murder
03-03-2011, 03:50 AM
What are some shows you watch that you know are bad, but you can't help but watch them anyway?

For me it's Smallville. I know the show isn't very good, I know it takes many liberties with Superman's mythology, and on top of that, it steals its stories from other media. But I love my weekly dose of Clark, Lois, and Oliver. Plus it's the last season so might as well finish it off.

The other show is The Bachelor. This show is bad in a good way. In a train-wreck-can't-look-away way. The fact that these people exist is amazing. Some of the girls actually seemed to be down to earth, grounded people. Yet they go on an elaborate TV show to meet their potential husband? And they think going on dream dates funded by ABC that any girl would swoon over counts as falling in love? Give me a break!

Miriel
03-04-2011, 11:44 PM
The Bachelor is the most guilty pleasure show I've ever seen. It's like crack, I just can't stop watching. I think part of it is that it's just so much fun to TALK while the show is on. It's a show that's meant to have commentary. So it's like, "OMG NO SHE DIDNT" "AHH, WHAT A CRAZY WHORE!" And it's the perfect show to do a drinking game. Although you might get massively drunk if you tried doing a shot every time the current bachelor says "BADLY" or "DEEP CONNECTION" or "MY GOD"

Vampire Diaries started off as a guilty pleasure show and then morphed into one of the best quality tv shows on the air right now. I also have a nice addiction to wedding shows. Say Yes to the Dress, Four Weddings, Battle of the Wedding Planners, etc.

Marshall Banana
03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Xena! It's so bad it's good!

It's old, but it still counts, right? I can watch it on Netflix.

drotato
03-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Degrassi. ;~;

It's tragic, Canadian teenaged drama just draws me in. And I know I shouldn't watch it, but GOD I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF.

Levian
03-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Used to be Pretty Little Liars. I'm a sucker for mysteries, and especially if they involver murder as well. The side dish of Gossip Girl-esque drama makes me cringe, but I can't stop either. Haven't watched it after the break though, I'm still on episode 10 of the first season. :p

Bunny
03-05-2011, 01:37 AM
I don't really have any guilty pleasure shows. I used to watch Gossip Girl because I heard it was good but the bad amounts of drama were just too much for me to handle. Same with Pretty Little Liars, though I only got about one and a half episodes in before I had to turn it off and make the bad acting go away. I thoroughly enjoy the shows that I watch without any real guilt behind them.

Jentleness
03-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Xena! It's so bad it's good!

It's old, but it still counts, right? I can watch it on Netflix.

Yes.

You should also include Hercules: The Legendary Journeys along with it. That one was hilarously bad and fun to watch as well! :D

Yar
03-05-2011, 01:53 AM
Jersey Shore

escobert
03-05-2011, 02:35 AM
I think Jersey Shore is awesome and I tell everyone so!

Pheesh
03-05-2011, 05:16 AM
So You Think You Can Dance. It's scary the extent to which this show draws me in. I also prefer the Australian seasons because it doesn't have that crazy lady and her high pitched screams.

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Tosh.0, I know I should do better than watch this generations version of America's Funniest Home Videos, and god knows Tosh's skits are terrible, but for some reason I like the show, even though I know it's slowly killing my I.Q.

Tavaryn
03-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Skins, through and through. Just the UK version, obviously. >:O

Slothy
03-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I think I would have said Smallville before this season because the Superman fan in me has kept me watching through god knows how many cheesy storylines and bad acting (especially the last 3-4 seasons). But I have to admit, since they started the final season, despite still resorting to some old cliches the series has been relying on for years and the occasional campiness here and there, this season has actually been ranging from decent to outright good. I don't actually feel as ashamed of watching the show as I used to because finally having some direction and an end goal seems to have been doing wonders for them.

spirit
03-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I enjoy Xena, IIIE IIIIE IIIIIE UUUURHHHH!

I'd like to watch things without having any guilt. But I'm sure I watch something that wouldn't be cool to bring up some place, to some one.

Breine
03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Xena is a great show. It just takes on so many different genres, and gets away with it because it's so extreme. It's so self-consciously camp that it becomes genuine quality TV. Because of its campy nature it's natural for people to call it a guilty pleasure. I even guess it's a guilty pleasure of mine as well, apart from the fact that I'd at any given point wholeheartedly admit that it's one of my favourite shows. It's just so deliciously over the top - but it does it gracefully, and with an obvious sense of humour.

Vyk
03-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I used to really enjoy Eureka. I haven't watched it in a long time though. The extremely convenient fake-science was so transparent and ridiculous, but I loved the characters, their antics, and their chemistry

Mikztsu
03-13-2011, 11:52 PM
If I start watching Big Brother, I get addicted to it easily. :( So dat.

escobert
03-14-2011, 01:52 AM
Mik :love: !

LowCaloriePie
03-17-2011, 03:25 AM
The Young and the Restless. Yes, that silly soap opera.

It's pretty much the only way I've bonded with my folks since LOST.

Heath
03-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Come Dine With Me and Take Me Out are programmes I watch but sometimes wish I didn't. The former is just genuinely quite funny and the latter is just an absolute abomination that I can't help but find genuinely entertaining.