PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Historia

Skyblade
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
So, Atlus recently released a new RPG involving switching timelines, revisiting past decisions, and basically messing around with history in general. I've only gotten to play it a little bit, but, so far, I think it is wonderful. The combination of sprites on a 3D background actually works very well, so the game looks beautiful. The music is lovely (and the game comes with an audio CD, so score an extra point there). The characters and world are as well written as one would expect from Atlus.

But enough about the standard stuff, let's worry about the crux of the issue. Gameplay! The battle system is new and innovative, which initially makes me shudder, due to how many games are tortured due to needless attempts to make a new battle system. The new system in Radiant Historia, however, is easy enough to pick up, though, and looks like it will allow quite a lot of depth as more and more abilities unlock.

As for the Time Travel mechanic itself, it feels more like an extension of Chrono Trigger than anything else I've played since. Instead of visiting particular eras, you get to visit your own past. You can go back to any major deciding point in your life since the start of the game, and choose what route to take. The timeline will fragment due to your meddling, and you can also use your book to switch between alternate histories, which is very important. Since your character is outside his own meddling, you get to use out of character knowledge. Switch to the alternate timeline, gather items and info, then switch back to a current point you are stuck at and use those new goodies to get past things that were flummoxing you.

Overall, it is shaping up into a brilliant game, and I am surprised nobody else has made a thread for it yet. My only regret is that I'm not getting to play enough of it because my existence is still being swallowed up by another one of Atlus's time sinks, and I multitask games poorly.

NeoCracker
03-04-2011, 01:42 AM
I hadn't played the game enough to justify making a thread praising it's awesome, though I've played a little and it's quite the entertaining title. It'll be a bit before I pick it up again though, I have other things to attend to in the meantime. :p

Del Murder
03-04-2011, 01:50 AM
I wanted to try this game as soon as I saw it in Game Informer. Your praise for it only makes me want it more!

McLovin'
03-04-2011, 03:39 AM
I was so excited after watching the trailer and reading your praise of it. Then I saw it's for the DS. sadfaaace. :( But I'd def get a DS just for this game in the far future.

ljkkjlcm9
03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I am so enthralled in DQ IX that i have delayed getting it, but high on my wants.

THE JACKEL

Vyk
03-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds like an extremely interesting concept. I may have to look into it. I've been trying to find reasons to pick up my DS again recently, since I have to fix a battery/power issue with my PSP (again) [and I'm lazy]

Del Murder
03-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I am so enthralled in DQ IX that i have delayed getting it, but high on my wants.

THE JACKEL
I got really bored with DQIX and it was a struggle to get to the end. Now I'm on the last boss but I think my team is either underleveled or not the right vocations because he keeps taking me down. I'm finding really hard to motivate myself to beef up and beat this guy, so RH will be a nice change of pace.

Bolivar
03-06-2011, 05:01 AM
My girl just beat it last night, it looks AMAZING.

Dignified Pauper
03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
So, I am at the end of the game, and the story has been absolutely fantastic. Anyone wanting a completely engrossing story, buy this game and enjoy!